As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] A new chapter is out

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I am SO DONE pugging Battle of Rishi. Groups that otherwise seem intelligent and skilled fall apart on the last boss. Every single time. They faff around in ground damage and then wonder why they're dying. Ffffffffffff.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Yesterday I was thinking about making a character specifically designed to romance Mako since I hadn't done that yet. It was just a vague idea until I was running around the imp fleet and thought of a name I would like to see if it was available. It was not, but my second choice was:
    rHyYm5Y.png

For reference:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS8_bUBXaOY

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    So there's a change coming in the new expansion: command levels are going away. That means that the achievements for getting characters, and getting a character of each class, to command level 300 will become inaccessible.

I did that over a year ago.

But I noticed a while back I have exactly 48 character slots. So I created a character so that I would have a character of each spec on both side) and got them to level 70. That was done roundabout last December.

Once I got them all to that point, I decided to start grinding...credits. I wanted to fill in my collection, and then meant building up a lot of money to spend on cartel market things. That meant heroics...which are, as I have mentioned before, suboptimal for gaining command levels. But heroics do still give command points. When I started I had nine characters at level 300.

About a month ago, I learned that command levels were going away, I checked my list of who wasn't at command level 300 yet. There were 16 characters. Given that my methods generally lead to a gain of about ten command levels on two characters per day, I knew I wasn't going to make it if I kept doing heroics. So I started switching to doing the weekly quests in daily areas (Iokath, Yavin, Oricon, etc.). All told, you could gain about about 70 levels, about a week's worth of gain...in two days.

Then the double XP event hit a couple days later.

It's almost over now; it ends on Tuesday. Yesterday I got my 48th character to command level 300.

My last one was a character I was having login issues on. I ended up having to bump her down to the bottom ofhhte list because every time I logged in on her, I was logged back out, whether within seconds or minutes, and none of my progress was saved. When customer service finally fixed the problem, they gave me 500 cartel coins because of the delay.

Next project: get all my characters through chapter IX of Fallen Empire so I can open all the excess crates I have for the credits without wasting influence.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    So there's a change coming in the new expansion: command levels are going away. That means that the achievements forgetting characters, and getting a character of each class, to command level 300 will become inaccessible.

Shit, I'm going to focus that, I still have my imp characters to get there.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Hah, I haven't even gotten my main to 300. Might before they take command levels away.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    The weirdest bug happened to me today. I got in a groupfinder ops group to do the Machine Gods op in story mode. (first mistake I guess, but I'd never done it before and wanted to try). First boss went ok but that's basically a tank and spank. Second boss had mechanics. Some of them were explained right in the beginning, but during the fight I saw that adds were destroying the healers and no one was doing anything about it. I was dpsing so I only had one taunt available, but I used it and also tried to DPS the adds a little to get them off heals. (they couldn't be fully destroyed, because they put up shields when they got to like 70%. Eventually people were dying, including one healer, than the next. Oh and I forgot to add, that the second boss was pulled 1) When one person had not responded to ready check and 2) that person never game back and died immediately. So we're regrouping, and I mention that the tanks need to get threat from the adds or they will kill the healer. We also lost a tank, so I offered to get my tank gear from pub side and come back as tank instead of DPS. No one responded to either thing, so I went to go get food while we were trying to refill. 6-7 min later I come back and we still don't have a full group, so I mention again that I could get tank gear if anyone wanted. A couple of people say, yes please do that, so I went and got the gear, an of course when I come back to imp side I'm not in group. I put myself in group finder and am immediately put in their group, but they don't hit 'ready' and immediately after that they put out a call in Allies chat for a tank. I'm kinda ticked at this, since they know I'm coming back since that's what I said, that they not only didn't take the queue pop but are actively searching out a new tank. So I say this in Allies chat, and they're like, "oh, we weren't in queue." Ok, I don't know how I got the pop then, but whatever. As soon as we queue we now have a full group.

So I come into the ops group and I mention again (because I didn't get a response the first time, just like when I offered to tank) that it's kinda shitty they're out looking for a new tank when I'm busting my butt switching around to get my tank gear! And they're like, "no big deal, you're here now, get your but over here." And I start going through the long walk to get to the room and I'm thinking, "What right does this person have to tell ME that my annoyance is unjustified. You could have just apologized and I would have been fine, but telling me it's not important and also that I should hurry up is just making me more irritated." I say, "no, it is a big deal actually, the problem this raid has been having is that no one is listening so the mechanics aren't being taken care of. This is actually a problem. Like when I mentioned multiple times that the healers were dying to adds and no one did anything about it." While I'm talking, someone pops ready check even though I'm not in the room yet, and I'm like, "you're going to pull without me in the room, aren't you." - thinking, but not saying, "exactly like the first pull and the guy who didn't RC."

Eventually, they get mad at me, so I just leave because this is looking like it's going to be a shitshow anyway. I started queuing for Starfighter instead. And THIS is where it gets weird.

Because once I popped for Starfighter, I started seeing the raid's ops group chatter again. At first I assumed that in a weird coincidence, people from that raid had just decided to do Starfighter, too, and I was seeing them there. But I soon realized they weren't talking about capping objectives, they were talking about raid bosses. Even weirder, I was able to see the words of one of the group that I know had blocked me after I left (I know because she/he sent me a whisper after I left saying, "you didn't say anything useful so who cares if no one paid attention, just SHUT UP!" and when I tried to reply to them found I was blocked). Throughout the entire Starfighter match, they were trying to explain a boss to the tank who was just not getting it. Amazingly, their raid ended right when my match completed, with one of the healers saying, "I'm done." and other people agreeing.

I have never seen that bug before.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    People keep hopping into ranked queue and then calling everyone in the group garbage.

If you're so much better than everyone else, then get a group and queue group ranked, motherfucker.

Edit: Cracked had a photoplasty about just this topic and made a card for it -

o5TZ9fO.jpg

Cambiata on
  • Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    A few questions, as I've had a SW itch recently. Questions ordered in importance to my consideration of getting it:

1) It's freemium, right?
    2) Is solo play viable?
    3) Can I avoid PVP altogether?
    4) Are Blood Carvers a playable race?
    5) Do I have to be a Force User? If so can I at least use blasters?
    6) Can I have a blaster in one hand and a vibroblade/lightsaber in the other?
    7) Is there dual wielding for blasters?
    8) What about lightsabers?
    9) What colors of lightsabers can I has?
    10) There's none of that plasma crossguard nonsense in that game is there because that's just the worst, like even worse than lightsaber whips?
    11) On that note: Are there lightsaber whips?

OctoberRaven on
    Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    1) Yes, you can do free to play. There are three tiers of player: free to play, preferred, and subscribers. Preferred means you've spent any amount of money in the game (including if you've only payed $5) and the added convienences and losed restrictions are worth it, if you plan to spend any time in the game at all. Free to play, without the preferred aspect, is very restrictive.
    2) Yep, I usually do solo play. In fact, if you're going free to play it'll be easier to do solo, since it'll cost you extra to do operations and pvp (in the form of ops passes and pvp passes, if you're interested in that stuff). You can do the main story quests 100% solo, and several of them are well worth experiencing - the most lauded story being the Imperial Agent.
    3) Easily. Almost all pvp is instanced where you have to join the queue to do it. There are pvp world maps, too, but you would have to manually switch yourself to those to get there.
    4) No. (what are blood carvers?)
    5) Nope, no need to be a force user. As stated above, the most widely praised story in the game is Imperial agent, and that class uses a sniper rifle. If you prefer blasters, you would want to go for Gunslinger or Mercenary. You can even do assault cannon if you roll a Commando.
    6) Sadly no, the weapons you can use for your class are pre-set.
    7) Yep. Gunslinger (from the Smuggler class, Republic side) and Mercenary (from the Bounty Hunter class, Imperial side) dual wield blasters.
    8) Yes. The classes that dual wield lightsabers are Marauders (from the Sith Warrior class, Imperial side) and Jedi Sentinels (from the Jedi Knight class, Republic side)
    9) A ton of different color crystal variations have been introduced into the game, you'd have to narrow it down and tell me what you're specifically looking for. But to do a lightsaber, you do have to be a force user class. However, the color crystals are also applied to blasters to change your blaster color. I tend to prefer shades of purple for my sabers and blasters, but sometimes I go sky blue because it matches the blaster or character better.
    10) I haven't seen anyone use it, but there is a plasma crossguard lightsaber in the SWTOR cash store right now. I think the main thing is, most people use "legacy bound" gear for their lightsabers which allows you to send your lightsaber to as many characters as you want and thus share your hard-won gear. So you're unlikely to see novelty sabers like that in the wild.
    11) There are no lightsaber whips.

Edit: I realized that I didn't discuss the classes that use blaster rifles (that aren't sniper rifles) and I wanted to explain why - it's because those classes, for reasons I still don't understand, are basically melee classes, and most of the time when you pick up a blaster-wielding class you expect them to be ranged, right? So I left them off. But they do have slightly more range and mobility than your average saber-wielder, so I figured I should bring them up. If you're willing to put up with the melee restriction, the classes that use blaster rifles are the Vanguard (Trooper class, Republic side) and the Operative (Imperial Agent class, Imperial side).

Cambiata on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    The operator also uses a vibroblade for special moves. So kind of on 6 (the blade is only visible when using it).

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    The operator also uses a vibroblade for special moves. So kind of on 6 (the blade is only visible when using it).

Both operative and sniper use the vibroblade, but yeah it only appears in special moves which is why I didn't mention it. Sorta there but not in any way that you can show it off. Not really part of your "look" as you might call it.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    @OctoberRaven : Biggest tip, I think, is on what quests to do.

Each class have their own unique questline. Each planet has its own unique questline for each faction. These are all marked in purple.

In addition, there are yellow quests (normal quests) and yellow quests that look like a recycle symbol (heroic quests). For the base content, heroic quests can be done as with just you and an NPC companion (you get one before level 10) set to healer (for companions you can choose freely if they should be healer, dps or tank). Heroic quests give nice gear, tons of xp, and most of them are pretty OK. They can be repeated weekly.

My recommendation: Only do purple quests. If you start to feel under-leveled, do heroics (or use the group finder to do a flashpoint (dungeon)).

If you do multiple classes, only do class quests and heroics on subsequent characters; planet quests don't add anything once you've done them once.

Do not be afraid to abandon a heroic quest if it's a slog. Most of them are good, some of them are bull.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    4) No. (what are blood carvers?)

These are blood carvers. (And Cambiata is right, you can't play them. I don't think I've even seen one in the game.)

The only thing I remembered about them before reading the article was their appearance and that in the d20 Revised RPG they were the only species I can recall of that had a speed bonus.

Also...Onslaught is delayed till October 22nd. They say they need to time to rebalance things based on PTS feedback. This means you have more time to get those command level achievements if you're still missing them (or if you're not but still really like power-leveling CXP, doing that).

• Options
    Yeah super glad they delayed that... I still have two classes left to get to 300 and I wasn't sure I could do it in a week. Now I have plenty of time.

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    see if they had Blood Carvers I would drop everything to play one. They're my favorite obscure Star Wars species and I had a blast playing one in tabletop... it didn't help that my first adventure with him ended up with him assassinating a Hutt John Wilkes Booth style on Nal Hutta, one of my first 'feeling like a total badass' moments in TTRPGing.

But thanks guys. I really don't like the idea of having my weapon selection limited by class but I might give it a shot sometime, maybe even set up a SW:TOR night every week.

OctoberRaven on
    Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    The key word from your post is "obscure". Something like that is not going to appear in a mass-market MMO, not as a playable species at least.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    The key word from your post is "obscure". Something like that is not going to appear in a mass-market MMO, not as a playable species at least.

Yes but game hype is, much like rebellions, built on hope.

OctoberRaven on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I finally decided to get current with the content--for Nathama Conspiracy, is it just do the flashpoint? It feels like there should be some kind of leadin to it.

• Options
    Orca wrote: »
    I finally decided to get current with the content--for Nathama Conspiracy, is it just do the flashpoint? It feels like there should be some kind of leadin to it.

Don't you have a prompt to go visit Lana in the staging area to explain it?

• Options

Do I need to pick it up somewhere? I don't have a prompt, no. Either that or I ran through it already on this character and completely forgot about it.

• Options

Do I need to pick it up somewhere? I don't have a prompt, no. Either that or I ran through it already on this character and completely forgot about it.

Do you have any missions available to pick up on your ship? Like one called "The Forgotten World"?

• Options

Do you have any missions available to pick up on your ship? Like one called "The Forgotten World"?

Aha! I should have known to go back to the ship for that. Thanks.

• Options
    Also good god that instance is like the Chiss one in that it is ludicrously long. Although without nearly as many mobs thankfully.

• Options
    Are we getting any returning companions in Onslaught?

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I hope Lord Scourge shows up and is like "yo what did I miss?"

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »

I was annoyed that I took him into the Revan fight back in the Yavin stuff and... not a word.

• Options
    Strikor wrote: »

I was annoyed that I took him into the Revan fight back in the Yavin stuff and... not a word.

Hell you can take him to rescue Revan and I don't think he says jack shit.

• Options
    Ever wanted to be a Squid Head? Good news everybody, now you can!
    As a special thank you to our Subscribers, any player who is a Subscriber between September 1st and October 22nd will receive the playable Nautolan species at no additional cost!

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Is Onslaught a KotFE/KotET type expansion or a smaller one? I think I stopped after the Iokath one as it felt really bland and moved too quickly.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Hi folks! I've never played SWTOR beyond the first 15 minutes or so a number of years back. But for reasons, I have a desire to play a togruta jedi character, and this seems like the game to do so.

How hard is this to get into as a new player at this point in its life? Are there any particular warts I should be aware of going in? I know about the "free play is very limited" aspect, and since I have to buy the togruta race anyway, I'd at least have "preferred" status, I assume.

Basically, any welcome-to-the-jungle tips would be appreciated. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    The game is pretty easy to get into even when I jumped in way back. I'd jump up this page, there's some good advise around missions ([Expletive deleted] post). Since XP boosters seemed to be on a lot when I played, I only had to do the main class missions and some heroics to stay leveled.

The hardest thing will be picking which class to play first haha.

This looks pretty comprehensive: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=958684

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    @Pixelated Pixie OctoberRaven asked the exact same question, so there are there are some posts on this a bit further up this page :)

Most important tip from me is to just do purple quests and heroics.

• Options
    @Pixelated Pixie Another tip: Companion gear is purely cosmetic. So dress them up however you like.

Also, if you make a decision you don't like, while you're in the cut scene you can hit esc to restart the conversation and make new choices.

• Options
    @Pixelated Pixie Another tip: Companion gear is purely cosmetic. So dress them up however you like.

Also, if you make a decision you don't like, while you're in the cut scene you can hit esc to restart the conversation and make new choices.

Okay, that's awesome. :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    The esc trick only works while you're in the cutscene, though. After it's done your choice is locked in.

• Options
    Okay I knew this wore its disdain for free players on its sleeve but... 775 points for a "hide helm" toggle? Really? I'm insulted. :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Okay I knew this wore its disdain for free players on its sleeve but... 775 points for a "hide helm" toggle? Really? I'm insulted. :lol:

$15/month ain't that bad to get all the goodies and especially be able to spend real money on the GTN.

After all, it's all about playing Barbie in SPAAAAAACE

• Options
    I get that. But I'm already subbed to ESO and I try to limit my sub funds to one game/month. Plus I already have to pay for the Togruta species even if I sub, from what I understand, so that's another $10 out...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    At the end of the day you gotta do what makes sense for you but...yeah, the game will be going out of its way to tell you that you should subscribe.

It is pretty much just cosmetic stuff anyway for the single player content until you hit level cap and the story is what's important.

• Options
    Actually, I've been made aware that Togruta never show headgear anyway, so the issue is moot. Yay! :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~