As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Nothing prepares you when you see the Rayquaza you're about to catch appear with black scales and a burst of sparkling light. Woohoo!

Thankfully, Niantic made it so that one's a guaranteed catch (shiny legendaries are). But you still have to throw the ball at it!

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    And remember to use a regular Pinap.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Finally snagged a Sinnoh Stone from the weekly research reward. Dumped it, a bunch of stardust, and a charged TM into my shiny Piloswine and now I have a good shiny Powder Snow/Avalanche Mamoswine. I'll be hunting more Swinub for candy to buff my boy up even more.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I do feel bad there was a sweet older woman at the raid that didn't get the deoxys her second time missing the catch. I didn't think it was that hard to catch, but I've been f'ing lucky so I kept my mouth shut.

Wow, EX mons aren’t guaranteed catches????

I feel like all my M2s and Deoxii were all first-ball catches...

In my experience, about 1/2 to 2/3 of the EX raid participants end up with the Pokemon, maybe a bit more. They are generous but its not a sure thing.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    I do feel bad there was a sweet older woman at the raid that didn't get the deoxys her second time missing the catch. I didn't think it was that hard to catch, but I've been f'ing lucky so I kept my mouth shut.

Wow, EX mons aren’t guaranteed catches????

I feel like all my M2s and Deoxii were all first-ball catches...

In my experience, about 1/2 to 2/3 of the EX raid participants end up with the Pokemon, maybe a bit more. They are generous but its not a sure thing.

Holy balls that’s terrible
    Nothing prepares you when you see the Rayquaza you're about to catch appear with black scales and a burst of sparkling light. Woohoo!

Thankfully, Niantic made it so that one's a guaranteed catch (shiny legendaries are). But you still have to throw the ball at it!

What if you miss all your throws real bad

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Then the legendary leaves!

There's at least one tale of a dude showing off the shiny legendary and trashing his rolls until the last, and then completely flubbing that last throw.

So Pinaps (or if you're having trouble, Nanabs) are your friend against shiny legendaries.

• Options
    RussadRussad MARegistered User regular
    I didn't realize that shinies had a guaranteed catch until I was running around with those folks last week and someone mentioned it, but from what they were saying it sounded like it was just on the first throw. Is that not the case?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Russad wrote: »
    I didn't realize that shinies had a guaranteed catch until I was running around with those folks last week and someone mentioned it, but from what they were saying it sounded like it was just on the first throw. Is that not the case?

Nope, they will not run unless you run out of balls, period.

There's still loads of urban legends about this game that refuse to die. I ran into some people who STILL think that alternating between golden razz and nanabs will somehow boost your chances of catching a legendary.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Apparently we're getting three weeks of special bonus stuff, starting Sept. 2. Best guesses from the vague teaser:

Week one: Pokemon never in eggs before will appear in eggs, probably including Corsola and Heracross.
    Week two: Deoxys in raids.
    Week three: Worldwide appearance of Gen 1 regionals, along with the first wave of Gen 5.

• Options
    My kingdom for unowns and/or gen3 regionals ffs

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    I need new friends for the special research. I added a couple I found in the thread.

1551 2617 9308

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Re thread title, I was just demolished by a grunt with 2 snorlaxes (and a polywrath)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    Re thread title, I was just demolished by a grunt with 2 snorlaxes (and a polywrath)

Yep, that's pretty much the worst case scenario for the Snorlax set.

• Options
    I just used over 3mm stardust getting all my relevant mons to at least level 30

Would love a “Power Uo to Level xzy” feature

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    New special research!
    It's for Jiraichi

And it requires friends, so if I haven't added you already, here's my code:

6647 4307 6711

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    Here's my code, don't know if I posted it here yet or not:

7683 5999 8117

• Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    Throwing my friendship in the hat:
    7527 9731 3512

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    I don't often have much to say about this game but I still play daily and have access to many capital city pokestops.
    6389 2562 2467

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »

Yep, that's pretty much the worst case scenario for the Snorlax set.

Yeah I ran across this the other night and they fucked me sidways. I didn't even try round 2.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I think the biggest problem is Snorlax has Zen Headbutt which counters your fighting attackers.
    So probably want to select pokes that are strong against his fast move (Tyrannitar, Metagross) and then hope to outlast his attacks whilst chipping away at his girth.

But I haven't tested this strategy yet.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Finally got my sister back in, she's looking for friends for the research task. She's pretty good about sending gifts.

3236 8408 7367

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    So I assume Mewtwo will be in raids?

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular

September 16th

• Options
    Oh so now lesser beings who didn't complete an ex raid will get a deoxys? Sure sure I guess these welfare deoxys are fine fine...

I'm joking, but I'm sure assholes online are not.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Grobian wrote: »

September 16th

Note that it'll only be for the one week, until the 23rd

• Options
    Oh so now lesser beings who didn't complete an ex raid will get a deoxys? Sure sure I guess these welfare deoxys are fine fine...

I'm joking, but I'm sure assholes online are not.

It was always expected since M2 also moved to regular raids after it left ex raids. And also deoxys is p bad compared to m2. Defense forme is good in pvp, though.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I'm at a Foo Fighters gig in Dublin and caught this little guy, I felt the name was obvious. It's good to have a little memento!
    p2vt1ys9q2cr.png

Stats are interesting for sure
    o2aqo97gwd2n.png

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I know the hardest part for me with this new research is 3 great throws in a row.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    There was a previous research that had 5 great throws, maybe curve balls too in a row, that was really tricky. Just requires persistence! And also a difficult Pokémon to catch with a large hotbox if possible, repeated throws on the same Pokémon do get easier.

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just had a Snorlax/Poliwrath/Dragonite rocket grunt encounter. Was able to beat it but it was dicey since I didn't bring anything super-effective against Snorlax or Poliwrath. Thankfully I brought an ice attacker to cream the Dragonite quickly.

• Options
    RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    Sent invites to those who recently posted. I'm bad about reliable gift giving these days, but I'll try to keep up with it.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    but daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad I don't want to make friends

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Ruldar wrote: »
    Sent invites to those who recently posted. I'm bad about reliable gift giving these days, but I'll try to keep up with it.

Has anyone else noticed fewer gifts coming out of spins the last few days?

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

We are just coming down off of the guaranteed gift every spin event high

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    chromdom wrote: »

The friendship event ended on monday. During that event you always got a gift from a spin if you had room (also you could hold and open more gifts).

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I really wish they'd left the 20 gift cap.

Hell, I'll pay 200 gold for it. Just let me store more than 10 at a time.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    The friend/gift system is in need of a pretty big overhaul honestly. It's just way too cumbersome once you have over, like, ten friends.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Just an at-a-glance indicator if you can send a gift to them or not from the full list would be so useful.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I suppose. I went from one every time to none yesterday to something like 7 today, and all of those on the second half of my walk as I was headed back.