As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Workshop now included.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Its funny I've been telling more people to switch to Sym lately.

Her teleporter and beam fix makes her surprisingly effective against Bunker if they don't focus her(which in ranked very few people do).

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I kind of want role queue to come to QP already so I can practice(throw terribly) with Sigma in a more low pressure but structured environment.

Also yeah, like I still get salty but I don't care as much when I lose in ranked anymore. Also, the matches go by way faster now.

This was my thought too. I'm enjoying 2/2/2 so much I want it to be quickplay already. It's not a change I would have expected to improve my game experience so much, but it has (so far).

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Its funny I've been telling more people to switch to Sym lately.

Her teleporter and beam fix makes her surprisingly effective against Bunker if they don't focus her(which in ranked very few people do).

I personally do not like Sigma to the point I will play Sym just to sneak behind and kill him

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    sigma does a fuckload of damage if u can land ur balls

and u can shoot them round corners and shields

he 2 shots any 200 or 250hp dps with a rock + left click combo. what seems to be the major gap is that most sigmas dont actually land their left click and haven't realised that just two left clicks in a row kills a 200hp target from full. hes also an incredibly useful choice for holding points with sniper platforms - he can give your flanking ranged dps a portable shield while orisa covers your main blob

also the fact you can still shoot while ulting is hysterical

hes not weak

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Did placements for Support and got back up to scratching surface Plat, which is like
    lol alright well good to know that spending those 2 weeks busting my arse on Competitive after I dropped like 400SR in 2 days paid off

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    also the fact you can still shoot while ulting is hysterical

one neat trick i saw a streamer demonstrate is you can flick your primary such that the two shots hit different targets, so if you get two squishies caught in your ult you can secure both kills

uc3ufTB.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Sigma can also cut off a rein from his healers very easily and consistently, without actually getting in that close himself like a Winston has to. His dps is poor, but he's got surprisingly nasty burst, and since his shots explode in air he can also really lock down corner fights.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Sigma can also cut off a rein from his healers very easily and consistently, without actually getting in that close himself like a Winston has to. His dps is poor, but he's got surprisingly nasty burst, and since his shots explode in air he can also really lock down corner fights.

Alright well I hadn't considered that before. That's super useful.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »

Alright well I hadn't considered that before. That's super useful.

this is what i was facing as ana yesterday. I'd get a bunch of idiot sigmas and then bam, this one sigma would just shield between me and my targets and i was like...so do i get closer and now i'm dead.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    yeah eg if only ana is left alive you just put your shield behind the orisa shield and she can't be healed and you just walk over her

obF2Wuw.png
  • madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    yep for sure, sigma is one of Ana's worst nightmares

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I normally like Mystery Heroes as dumb fun. However, when you just need one more win for the final arcade loot box of the week and lose for an hour and a half, it's...well, it isn't a good feeling. Rationally, I know I still have several days to get that last box, but I want it now...

Edit: And one round of FFA got it. *sigh*

BionicPenguin on
    edited August 2019
    huh TIL his boulder does more knockdown the further away you are, so if you lob boulders into the backline and get a lucky hit, it's like a mini Earthshatter. Snipers take note...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nEe-9NKLi0

madparrot on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    Cutting off the backline from the frontline (healers and DPS both) is an interesting tactic I haven't heard anybody talk about during the PTR. Maybe that's the niche he's been missing.

Ooh, I am stealing the shield between healers/tanks idea. genius.

I had a REALLY good koth round last night, largely because I was landing my boulders and the follow-ups. And then two really bad rounds as everyone and their moira dived me which felt hard (read: impossible) to defend against. The basic lesson I took was: land yer boulders or yer goosed. I did delight in shutting down two moira ults in the same match with boulder though. Siddown.

soylenth wrote: »

I had a REALLY good koth round last night, largely because I was landing my boulders and the follow-ups. And then two really bad rounds as everyone and their moira dived me which felt hard (read: impossible) to defend against. The basic lesson I took was: land yer boulders or yer goosed. I did delight in shutting down two moira ults in the same match with boulder though. Siddown.

Recall/redeploy and then an Orisa-style shield dance. Throw in some redeploy spam for extra confusion

edited August 2019
    madparrot wrote: »
    soylenth wrote: »

Recall/redeploy and then an Orisa-style shield dance. Throw in some redeploy spam for extra confusion

Yeah, it felt like there was some shield dancing skill to be worked on on my part for sure.

also, I really like the geometry aspect of bouncing his primary fire around corners. I like Moira for the same reason. And Hanzo, even though it was a poor implementation of the concept.

soylenth on
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Cutting off the backline from the frontline (healers and DPS both) is an interesting tactic I haven't heard anybody talk about during the PTR. Maybe that's the niche he's been missing.

This has been Ana's main weakness since day zero and it's what I consider to be the actual real danger of coming up against a dive tank comp. Not that they can dive the back line to kill Ana but that it completely shuts off the flow of healing for the rest of the team around barriers and Matrix

• sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    It’s weird living in a world where reaper is good. Just dominated some matches with him. All the hog really helps, and if the tanks don’t get support from the dps, reaper just messes them up.

sanstodo wrote: »
    It’s weird living in a world where reaper is good. Just dominated some matches with him. All the hog really helps, and if the tanks don’t get support from the dps, reaper just messes them up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJSeBirq43M

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I remember reading, I think from a dev, that if Reaper were tuned up enough to be viable for Pros it would mean him being overtuned for normal play.

Did they solve that, or...?

Kamar wrote: »
    I remember reading, I think from a dev, that if Reaper were tuned up enough to be viable for Pros it would mean him being overtuned for normal play.

Did they solve that, or...?

They seem to have done a pretty good job with that actually. He needed more fluidity and self-sustain to be useful at high levels, but not so much that he crushes at lower levels. After some back and forth they seem to have found a good spot for life steal. Shadow Step changes have been great for him. He isn't instantly punished by using it offensively and it's fast enough that he can use it as a bail out.

The Shadowstep buff makes a big difference, since so much of Reaper is just moving his ass to the right place. It always felt like such a wasted ability before. Now it's still not an in-combat move, but it's a safe reposition as long as there isn't a Widow staring at the spot or something.

The Shadowstep buff makes a big difference, since so much of Reaper is just moving his ass to the right place. It always felt like such a wasted ability before. Now it's still not an in-combat move, but it's a safe reposition as long as there isn't a Widow staring at the spot or something.

Even some pros are using it mid fight to make a quick escape. Profit has used it to engage into the backline from the front to Death Blossom. Doesn't always work but it has been successful enough to be useful.

• sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »

Even some pros are using it mid fight to make a quick escape. Profit has used it to engage into the backline from the front to Death Blossom. Doesn't always work but it has been successful enough to be useful.

Exactly. I use it to move laterally into a stairwell with obstructed sight lines for a widow, called for defense matrix, and then popped out for an easy blossom 4k. It’s at its best when Orisa just threw down a shield and can’t protect swishies. Often the initial burst will be enough to get a few kills before a hook or halt comes in, and then you can wraith away.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    so am I completely stupid or did they remove win percentage and games won/played from the stats menu? I can't seem to find it anywhere in my profile.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    that hasn't been in the game, outside of comp, for forever

uc3ufTB.png
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    oh really? i've never actually looked for it in anything other than comp. i guess it make sense they'd remove it for the role queue beta, now that i think about it

I don't usually play comp, but I did my placements on all three roles because I wanted role queue, and was curious if that improved it. I can't do it though, it's back to QP for me (and can't wait for role queue there). I think every single game we lost, somebody on my team bitched about a teammate. Either about their hero choice, or more often just generally saying that our DPS sucks because the other guys weren't dying. It made it instantly stressful for me, wanting to perform to make sure it's not me that gets shamed. It sucks because I do want serious coordinated games with positive attitudes, and sometimes you do get that, but there are just too many shitheads.

Has anybody tried doing the solo LFG thing? How well does it work? It just occurred to me I've never tried that.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    So they only did the 222 role queue thing to comp, which is in a kind of weird pre-season mode. Which is a huge relief. Maybe they're reconsidering the entire idea? I can only hope.

But to be fair it is more... tolerable than I expected. It is a completely different game. This is like Overwatch Lite.

But there is a kind of elegant simplicity to deleting an entire dimension from the game's flexibility, as both sides face the same restriction. It does kind of let you focus a lot less on who is playing what, and a lot more on just focusing on your own hero's abilities and just aiming correctly, which is hard enough for me already. But if I was good enough at the game that I would tend to take advantage of the "change your hero mid fight" mechanics more, I'd probably be more pissed off.

The DPS queue also wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. I haven't tried the heal queue yet.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Useful Fact: As Mei, if Sigma does his body slam ult on you, you can reduce the damage a lot by landing on your wall.

Edit: Oh did they buff Reaper again? That explains a lot. He's been causing problems in a lot of my games since the patch...

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    edited August 2019
    So they only did the 222 role queue thing to comp, which is in a kind of weird pre-season mode. Which is a huge relief. Maybe they're reconsidering the entire idea? I can only hope.

But to be fair it is more... tolerable than I expected. It is a completely different game. This is like Overwatch Lite.

But there is a kind of elegant simplicity to deleting an entire dimension from the game's flexibility, as both sides face the same restriction. It does kind of let you focus a lot less on who is playing what, and a lot more on just focusing on your own hero's abilities and just aiming correctly, which is hard enough for me already. But if I was good enough at the game that I would tend to take advantage of the "change your hero mid fight" mechanics more, I'd probably be more pissed off.

The DPS queue also wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. I haven't tried the heal queue yet.

Sorry, this is just the beta period for 2-2-2 itself. The full launch of everything is Sep 1st: https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23060961/
    Role Queue will be fully available for Quick Play and Competitive Play beginning on September 1 for the start of Competitive Season 18.

I think the mini-season is meant to get people's SRs more stabilized before season 18, and a last round of 2-2-2 bug/balance testing done before they finalize it. I agree it's a substantial simplification of the game, it removes both a lot of possible comps and the layer of depth that came from hot-swapping your role composition around. All the fundamentals feel the same though, and I'm still always thinking about character swaps. I actually think the game is still quite a lot more complex now with 2-2-2 than it was at launch with the smaller roster.

Zek on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Somehow, all of my SRs are at least 100 below it was before 222, so I am thinking of dropping again.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Well at launch the preferred comp was 5 Dvas/Winstons and a Mercy hiding to do a full team Rez.

:)

edited August 2019

Sorry, this is just the beta period for 2-2-2 itself. The full launch of everything is Sep 1st: https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23060961/
    Role Queue will be fully available for Quick Play and Competitive Play beginning on September 1 for the start of Competitive Season 18.

I think the mini-season is meant to get people's SRs more stabilized before season 18, and a last round of 2-2-2 bug/balance testing done before they finalize it. I agree it's a substantial simplification of the game, it removes both a lot of possible comps and the layer of depth that came from hot-swapping your role composition around. All the fundamentals feel the same though, and I'm still always thinking about character swaps. I actually think the game is still quite a lot more complex now with 2-2-2 than it was at launch with the smaller roster.

Well I guess I'm never playing Tank again.

I am not compentent with enough damage heroes to really make spending a lot of brain bandwidth thinking about swapping worth it. If I'm forced to queue in "You can play Mei" mode, then I'm in practice restricted to Mei and Pharah. I play Ashe and Sombra occasionally, but I'm not even half as decent with them; Ashe is just my "Practice aiming" hero, and Sombra is really just for messing around with health packs.

edit: Oh I guess I could also play Soldier. I forget he exists sometimes. He is kind of aim-dependent but he is also dirt simple.

The same would be true in a Heal Queue. I really only play Moira and Brig. I used to play Zen before Moira came out, so if I had a reason I could probably pick him back up, but that's about it.

Double Edit: What I'm trying to get at is usually when I switch heroes I'm also switching roles. Without the ability the switch roles, I'm rarely if ever going to switch heroes, except maybe between rounds.

Monkey Ball Warrior on

Well I guess I'm never playing Tank again.

I am not compentent with enough damage heroes to really make spending a lot of brain bandwidth thinking about swapping worth it. If I'm forced to queue in "You can play Mei" mode, then I'm in practice restricted to Mei and Pharah. I play Ashe and Sombra occasionally, but I'm not even half as decent with them; Ashe is just my "Practice aiming" hero, and Sombra is really just for messing around with health packs.

edit: Oh I guess I could also play Soldier. I forget he exists sometimes. He is kind of aim-dependent but he is also dirt simple.

The same would be true in a Heal Queue. I really only play Moira and Brig. I used to play Zen before Moira came out, so if I had a reason I could probably pick him back up, but that's about it.

Double Edit: What I'm trying to get at is usually when I switch heroes I'm also switching roles. Without the ability the switch roles, I'm rarely if ever going to switch heroes, except maybe between rounds.

I like McCree but whenever I try to play him I'm reminded I shouldn't play hitscan. At least not unless I start spending a lot more time on the game again. There are quite a few DPS characters to pick from if you're not confident in twitch shooting, I would say: Junkrat, Mei, Pharah, Reaper, Symmetra, Torbjorn, Bastion. Just picking from those you've got decent options for most situations that require a counterpick. Except for countering Pharah, in which case Soldier is easiest.

When playing tank I think the key decision you need to make is if you're doing anchor, offtank or dive. Familiarize yourself with one of each of those and you'll be okay.

I think Moira is a pretty good healer pick in most situations. Good healing output and also able to defend herself against dive. I don't think there are many situations that would require you to switch off her.

Fencingsax wrote: »
    Somehow, all of my SRs are at least 100 below it was before 222, so I am thinking of dropping again.

Keep playing. There's bound to be inconsistency this early on. You might find yourself gaining a ton of SR for wins in some roles.

This discussion has been closed.