As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fuck The NCAA]-Athletes Now Able To Make Money Like Rest Of Us Edition

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    1. Come 2023, all the major Division I schools in California will be able to recruit the top players, because they can tell them "play for us, and you can get paid."

Above the table. Most of them in basketball/football already get paid. Going rate for SEC OL is low six figures.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    1. Come 2023, all the major Division I schools in California will be able to recruit the top players, because they can tell them "play for us, and you can get paid."

Above the table. Most of them in basketball/football already get paid. Going rate for SEC OL is low six figures.

That's a good point. This wouldn't change things - just bring it out into the open.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Did the SEC not get the memo that OL isn’t that valuable anymore?

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Nick Saban said this:
    “The issue with the transfer portal is we’ve gotten very liberal in giving people waivers, so, when we do that, it becomes free agency, which I don’t think is good for college football. I don’t think it’s good for fans.”

[...]

“So, in my opinion, if we’re going to have a transfer portal that’s good for the players, then we ought to have a rule that says, regardless of what happens when you transfer, you have to sit out a year. And now we have, I don’t know—at one point in time there were 65 waivers that were given in a year. So everybody’s expectation is I can transfer and get a waiver. We make commitments to players for four years. They make commitments to us to be in our program. It may not work out for everybody and they may have a better opportunity someplace else, but if they have to sit out for a year, it would be a consequence for them in terms of their commitment.

Fuck you, you fucking asshole.

Nick Saban said this:
    “The issue with the transfer portal is we’ve gotten very liberal in giving people waivers, so, when we do that, it becomes free agency, which I don’t think is good for college football. I don’t think it’s good for fans.”

[...]

“So, in my opinion, if we’re going to have a transfer portal that’s good for the players, then we ought to have a rule that says, regardless of what happens when you transfer, you have to sit out a year. And now we have, I don’t know—at one point in time there were 65 waivers that were given in a year. So everybody’s expectation is I can transfer and get a waiver. We make commitments to players for four years. They make commitments to us to be in our program. It may not work out for everybody and they may have a better opportunity someplace else, but if they have to sit out for a year, it would be a consequence for them in terms of their commitment.

Fuck you, you fucking asshole.

Saban is absolutely terrified of losing the absolute control he has. When the NCAA's house of cards collapses, he'll be one of the first coaches to retire.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Security and Exchange Commission ... outboard lawyer?

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Meanwhile Tom Herman when asked about paying players said he's conflicted on it

Which is probably better than anything any other coach has said iirc

edited July 2019
    My opinion is that every student-athlete should have a one-time ability to transfer and not have to sit out a year, and then if they were to transfer a second time, then the previous rule that we had, where you had to sit out a year of eligibility, and with that, I would also keep the graduate transfer rule that we have in place right now, where you can graduate and transfer and become immediately eligible.

This would be better. Not what it should be, but an improvement on the current situation.

enlightenedbum on
    My opinion is that every student-athlete should have a one-time ability to transfer and not have to sit out a year, and then if they were to transfer a second time, then the previous rule that we had, where you had to sit out a year of eligibility, and with that, I would also keep the graduate transfer rule that we have in place right now, where you can graduate and transfer and become immediately eligible.

This would be better. Not what it should be, but an improvement on the current situation.

It's "better" in that being shot in the leg is "better" than being shot in the gut. Forcing players to sit out for transferring is a morally indefensible position.

It's "better" in that being shot in the leg is "better" than being shot in the gut. Forcing players to sit out for transferring is a morally indefensible position.

The second part of the rule wouldn't affect almost anyone. Double transfers among D1 programs are super rare.

The second part of the rule wouldn't affect almost anyone. Double transfers among D1 programs are super rare.

Doesn't matter. Again, forcing transfers to sit out is indefensible and only serves to empower coaches.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Also, can we stop with the "student-athlete" bullshit. They may be students; in the context of the NCAA they are athletes.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    No wonder Emmert had a tantrum - this law would in may ways geld the NCAA.

You'd think that the primary function of the NCAA would be to provide useful services for schools coordinating their athletic programs, not to steal money from athletes.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

You'd think that the primary function of the NCAA would be to provide useful services for schools coordinating their athletic programs, not to steal money from athletes.

A useful service to administrators and coaches looking to line their pockets. :rotate:

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    jothki wrote: »

Extracting wealth from (heavily black) bodies and transferring it to the schools is their useful coordination of athletic programs.

Oh hey, the NCAA does more illegal shit with agents:
    The NCAA, continuing its bid to desperately cling to the archaic model of amateurism for as long as it possibly can, sent out a memo to NBA agents on Monday attempting to reassert its control over whom men’s college basketball players can hire when thinking about going pro. While a rule change in 2018 allowed players considering the NBA Draft to retain the services of an agent without torching their future eligibility, a revision for next year significantly tightens the language around which agents can be NCAA-approved. The original rule covered all NBPA-certified agents, but the new one limits some of those formerly acceptable options:

Jon Rothstein is a reporter for CBS Sports.

As the article points out, this seems tailored to target Rich Paul, who got his start with LeBron James. Of course, it's worth remembering that the NCAA doing anything regarding agents is actually an illegal restraint of counsel.

It's the NCAA, so we have more agent fuckery:
    BYU star forward Yoeli Childs has been suspended nine games for this upcoming season because the NCAA determined that the player had hired an agent before filing the proper paperwork with the association. The announcement came on Friday and Childs addressed a group of local media members in Provo, Utah about the situation

Per the Deseret News:
    “I believe in being honest and open about the things that you do. There was some confusion with this new process. I made decisions that caused an outcome that none of us like,” Childs said Friday. “I want everyone to know that my intent was never to do something wrong. I was trying to do the right things. I was trying to do things the right way. … When I met with the coaching staff and we found out that there were missteps, we went back and tried to correct everything. I’m so grateful to be part of a university that stands for those same values. This is a university that believes in honesty, believes in integrity and believes in doing the right thing, even when it’s hard. I’m super disappointed that I’m not going to be able to play in these nine games with my guys. It hurts so bad.”

I will refrain from laughing at the oxymoronic juxtaposition of "BYU" and "integrity", to instead point out, once again, that what the NCAA is doing is actually illegal. And by that, I mean "a judge actually ruled in a court of law that the NCAA's rules on agents were a restraint of the right to counsel":
    But for the next 15 months, Johnson directed his litigation against the two NCAA bylaws at issue. Judge Tygh M. Tone, of Erie County, came to share his outrage. On February 12, 2009, Tone struck down the ban on lawyers negotiating for student-athletes as a capricious, exploitative attempt by a private association to “dictate to an attorney where, what, how, or when he should represent his client,” violating accepted legal practice in every state. He also struck down the NCAA’s restitution rule as an intimidation that attempted to supersede the judicial system. Finally, Judge Tone ordered the NCAA to reinstate Oliver’s eligibility at Oklahoma State for his junior season, which started several days later.

This isn't the NCAA but is so fucked up I thought I would highlight it. Kid in Michigan has been ruled ineligible for his senior year because he took too many above grade level classes in middle school. He's a Northwestern commit who's planning on enrolling in January.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    'Inspired by true events!'

Today in Fuck Dabo Swinney, Dabo punishes a player for being as mercenary as...Dabo Swinney:
    Which is why it was so shocking last week when Dabo Swinney, head coach of defending college football champion Clemson, announced that Kelly Bryant — who started four games for the Tigers last year, including a key 28-26 road victory over Texas A&M in which he threw for a touchdown and ran for another — would not be receiving a championship ring. The reason: After losing the starting job to freshman phenom Trevor Lawrence, Bryant — who had graduated from college and therefore could sit out the rest of the season and have one more year of eligibility in 2019 for another team — left the team and transferred to Missouri.

[…]

When Swinney won the national championship game in January, he was awarded more than $2 million in bonuses for the 2019 season in addition to the $6.8 million salary he’d already earned — a salary that jumped considerably when he signed a ten-year, $92 million contract after the season. That is a fortune he has made on the backs of his unpaid players. To be an FBS college football coach is to reap the harvest of an unjust system, but Swinney has gone beyond merely being complicit in this system. Instead, he has chosen to forcefully advocate for it. He has said he will quit college football entirely if players get paid, saying that, “as far as paying players, professionalizing college athletics, that’s where you lose me. I’ll go do something else, because there’s enough entitlement in this world as it is.” (He brazenly reiterated this stance after signing that new contract.) He has fought against players receiving stipends in addition to their scholarships. When Northwestern football players attempted to unionize a few years ago, he was one of the loudest voices in opposition.

Fuck Dabo Swinney, and as always, fuck the motherfucking NCAA.

And for more fuck the NCAA edification, take a look at this graph:

Steve Berkowitz is a reporter for USA Today.

Colleges spend less on scholarships than they do on coaches. This is disgusting.

In 2016, he refused to investigate an allegation that Clemson players had used racial slurs against South Carolina players, saying he could forgive college students for making mistakes but not media for reporting on them. (He actually said that the reporters who published the allegations should have been fired.)

He seems nice.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Isn't this just all about being able to have the control and power to stack positions 4 deep with talent? Of course guys like Swinney are going to bail when they can no longer force super talented players to ride the bench while they play musical chairs with starters.

Dark_Side on
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Isn't this just all about being able to have the control and power to stack positions 4 deep with talent? Of course guys like Swinney are going to bail when they can no longer force super talented players to ride the bench while they play musical chairs with starters.

Pretty much. Once they actually have to get talent by offering contracts with actual teeth, a lot of these coaches are going to retire, because their systems are built on getting the hottest talent.

Coach making nearly $1M demands players who receive no pay chip into the college athletics fund:
    At a post-workout press conference earlier this week, Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns coach Billy Napier announced a rather odd initiative for the members of his football team. Napier said that, starting this year, all scholarship members of the team will be required to donate a minimum of $50 to the Ragin’ Cajun Athletic Foundation.

That seems like a punitive rule to enforce on a group of unpaid college football players, though Napier clarified that, “it’s all about gratitude,” which is a hell of a tack for a coach who was paid $850,000 last year to take with a group of players whose labor is exploited for free. He unfortunately continued:
    “That’s probably a little bit unheard of and a little bit unique, but I think this is a place where that would be appreciated,” Napier said of the initiative. “I think it’s part of the type of program that we want to have. We want our players to be educated and understand the benefits that come with being a student-athlete and that is not something that should be taken lightly — the effort and time and investment that the people that support athletes at UL have put in into this program.”

Fuck you, Napier.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    One wonders how much he would profit from that.

I remember having to make $250 last full semesters

Fuck you Napier

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    As shitty as the laws around this are, surely that can't be legal.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    The NCAA has denied a transfer waiver for a player who wanted to move schools to be closer to his mom who needed a non-cancerous brain tumor removed.

One of the reasons for the rejection is that it obviously wasn't a big deal because she didn't quit her job.

So whatever you do, don't get sick and need to pay the bills.

The NCAA has denied a transfer waiver for a player who wanted to move schools to be closer to his mom who needed a non-cancerous brain tumor removed.

One of the reasons for the rejection is that it obviously wasn't a big deal because she didn't quit her job.

So whatever you do, don't get sick and need to pay the bills.

Here's the story.

When you're acting like the villain in a John Grisham novel, it's time to ask yourself "how did I get here?"

Now and forever, fuck the motherfucking NCAA.

edited September 2019
    In unsurprising yet welcome news, LeBron James is backing CA Senate Bill 206, a.k.a. the Fair Pay To Play Act:
    The argument of whether college athletes should be paid or be able to profit from endorsements has been chatted about in the sports world for years. A bill proposed in California would allow collegiate athletes in the state to profit off endorsement deals, and has the support Los Angeles Lakers star LeBron James.

The three-time NBA champion voiced his approval for the Fair Pay to Play Act by tweeting out for everyone in California to make a call and support the act. He calls the act a “game changer.”

The Senate Bill 206, or SB 206, would prevent schools in the state from removing scholarships or eligibility from athletes who use their platform and their sport to get an endorsement deal to make their own money. The act introduced by state senators Nancy Skinner and Steven Bradford will also make it so athletes can hire an attorney or agent for any business deal without the potential to lose their eligibility.

The bill aims to give players to same options as Olympic athletes, who can have endorsement deals, but its authors say the legislation will not force schools to pay their athletes upfront. The bill has moved to the California State Assembly vote after getting approved by the Senate, and if the law passes it will go into effect in January of 2023.

Edit: One has to wonder how badly Emmert will take it.

AngelHedgie on
    The bill passed, 72-0.

What I found headshaking with the Deadspin article are the comments saying "but what if the NCAA goes after the players?"

Well, that's simple - if this bill is law, they can't. If the NCAA renders a California athlete ineligible under this law, then they are violating it, and the athlete and the school can now sue them for damages as well as have them enjoined from enforcing the ruling.

Laura Ingraham brings on Patriots TE Benjamin Watson to discuss Jemele Hill's recent piece arguing that elite black athletes should go to HBCUs to have them receive the money they bring in. (Translation: Ingraham's a bigot, and brought Watson on to launder her bigotry.)

This did not go well for Ingraham.

Justin Baragona is a journalist and contributor to the Daily Beast.

Shut up and dribble*

*for free and for the benefit of rich old white people

• Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    The bill passed, 72-0.

I'll be interest to see how this plays out. I certainly don't side with the NCAA, but college sports are already on the brink of being uninteresting to me because of the lopsided nature of recruiting. I will 100% check out if this leads to an elite tier schools, because they happen to be located in good markets for endorsement deals, or are big right when the transition happens and can set themselves up with good business contacts.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
    I think you're reading far too much in this. The bill needs to reconcile with the state senate bill. This one added that athlete can't sign endorsement deals with, say, a shoe company if the school already has a deal with a different one.

The balance of power in collegiate athletics will not swing that much more toward California, in 2023, than it already does.

I think you're reading far too much in this. The bill needs to reconcile with the state senate bill. This one added that athlete can't sign endorsement deals with, say, a shoe company if the school already has a deal with a different one.

The balance of power in collegiate athletics will not swing that much more toward California, in 2023, than it already does.

Can they sign their own deal with said shoe company, though?

Fencingsax wrote: »

Can they sign their own deal with said shoe company, though?

Possibly. But at that point it would be for use of likeness since they'd already ne wearing the shoes or whatever.

I actually think this ruling would affect kids at non-CA schools since they could incorporate in CA even if playing in say Alabama