As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Workshop now included.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I'd been wanting to share this for a while. It is my All Modes played time (so that includes QP and Comp, and an insignificantly tiny amount of Arcade). Just the top and bottom of the chart.

It is a bit lop-sided to say the least. I was a Sym main back in the day, so 99% of the Sym playtime was from when the shield generator was a thing, if not before that. I've also barely played Torb since they changed his ult.

2019-08-16-all-modes-played-time.jpg

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Zek wrote: »
    I think Moira is a pretty good healer pick in most situations. Good healing output and also able to defend herself against dive. I don't think there are many situations that would require you to switch off her.

Would that situation be "We already have a Mercy"? At which point you don't need the throughput and Brig is better?

To be fair I'm not sure about now since they nerfed Brig's E heal. Which is ... why would they do that and role queue at the same time? Shouldn't they be buffing her heals?
    Junkrat, Mei, Pharah, Reaper, Symmetra, Torbjorn, Bastion

I've tried multiple times over the years to play Junkrat and he's just... I don't know. I started with "Oh he's just Demoman from TF2" but that doesn't really work. I don't get him at all, I'm just extremely bad with him and am basically throwing if I play him.

Reaper is .. fine. Or he was fine back many years ago when I tried to play him. His problem is he is just boring. If I want boring I'll play Soldier.

Don't talk to me about Sym. Just thinking about what they did to Sym pisses me off. I miss 6 turrets, a real teleporter, and a beam people consistently underestimated. I deeply miss these things.

Torb is just weird, especially since they changed him. I don't know how I feel about torb anymore, except for the feeling that he is a joke hero that can't be taken seriously. Except that probably isn't true.

And you can take what I said about Junkrat and apply it equally to Bastion. He is just beyond me.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Ignore, consolidated

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Just play Mei and Pharah if thats who you wanna play

I mean you've got nearly 200 hours on each so you're probably at least okay with them and as long as you aren't throwing then eff everybody else

Edit same for Moira, if she's who you want to play as and you queued as healer then just play her if youre good at it

Somebody else can worry about mercy

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Edit same for Moira, if she's who you want to play as and you queued as healer then just play her if youre good at it

Ah, but now we get to the part where I don't actually like playing Moira that much. By this I mean I get most of my enjoyment playing her from actually healing folks, well that and a bit from trying to use the orbs well, bouncing off walls, etc. Moira's fine, she entirely replaced Zen for me, but I much MUCH prefer to play Brig. Brig is way too much fun. But even before this patch Brig's single target heal throughput was mediocre, so say a Lucio and a Brig might be a weak combo, especially stuck in 222.

Basically, if I queue Support, it will be in the hopes of playing Brigitte, but with the understanding that I may need to play Moira. I'm okay with that.

And I think I should learn a third Damage. Just not sure which. Maybe New Torb?

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I think 222 is amazing. Being able to just queue as DPS and not worry about the usual BS that used to go into fighting over who got to play what is great.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I think Moira is a pretty good healer pick in most situations. Good healing output and also able to defend herself against dive. I don't think there are many situations that would require you to switch off her.

Would that situation be "We already have a Mercy"? At which point you don't need the throughput and Brig is better?

To be fair I'm not sure about now since they nerfed Brig's E heal. Which is ... why would they do that and role queue at the same time? Shouldn't they be buffing her heals?

They did buff her heals, having 3 charges is a big deal. It recharges between fights, so as long as you have 2 charges ready you've got more healing than before. Not single target though, you need her aura as well for that.

Unfortunately I think Brig is a bit of a niche pick at the moment, definitely an off-healer. To make her work you need to have a way to swing at people regularly without dying, and that's going to vary based on your team comp and theirs. I think her purpose is to either be diving with the rest of the team in a dive comp, or to defend the back line in a game where you're getting dived on a lot. But if for whatever reason you can't get close and you're just standing around throwing out Es and hoping to connect whip shots, you're better off playing somebody else - anyone else at all, really.

Also I wouldn't worry about doubling up on "main" healers. Too much healing is rarely a bad thing, even if it's not ideal. Moira in particular has got pretty good damage potential if the other healer has things under control. I think the worst thing is if neither healer can defend themselves and they're getting dove on, that's where Moira and Brig are both good.

Zek on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I actually quite like NewBrig, you really have to think about maintaining healing auras and when to be aggressive or not. You really need to be landing your whipshots to reliably keep your AoE heal up, and then you stack your E on top of that for strong heals per second. She's quite good at healing flankers and divers, who benefit a great deal from armor pack going through barriers and providing an overheal, but she's a lot worse in shield-war type fights where she can't push in on her own anymore and won't get many chances to land whipshots.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    The general reception to 2 2 2 is pretty favorable so I don't see them changing it.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I really like playing Moira.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular

I think that depends on the rest of your composition. If you've got a Pharah, then understandably the Mercy is going to be primarily focused on her which means Moira is a good pick to focus on the tanks and grounded DPS (Mei, Reaper, Soldier would be good here as any of them have self sustain but can also cluster up to benefit from Moira's short range heals). If your other DPS are flankers then Zen might be a better pick to tag the Genji/Tracer with an orb while the Mercy handles the tank cluster and you. Discord would also benefit the flankers by allowing them to apply a lot more pressure from off angles.

• Options
    KisidanKisidan Registered User regular
    Boy have I gotten bad at this game.

I've been trying to get back into it after a break of like... a year? Maybe more? I used to be vaguely competent as a tank but apparently no longer!

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    the one thing 2-2-2 will never fix is people tilting and quitting in comp...we had someone quit and we were winning! And i don't "know" they quit but i do know they put into chat how terrible everyone was and how much this sucked and then they were gone. If it hadn't been one of the tanks, i think we could have still pulled it off.

• Options
    SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    I've been having this weird issue since the update where my game randomly crashes and gives me an error message stating that my "rendering device has been lost! Closing application".

It cost me the best sigma game I ever played. How can you LOSE the rendering device? It's plugged in to the motherboard!

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    update those video drivers - a change in game code can mess with drivers especially if the drivers have been specifically optimized for that game as most modern drivers are

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    someone made a Sigma dodge-ball mod for the workshop: 0V80F

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    they have got to fix team deathmatch so that only one category of heroes plays the other, Sigma has basically killed it and that's saying something with Mercy, Torb, and Baptiste out there.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I'm just generally falling out of love with the game. Fair mileage on it (as a gross understatement) but I thought trying to main some other characters would rekindle my excitement for Overwatch, but I don't really feel much.
    Few of the last couple new characters have been exciting for me but honestly I don't know if there's anything they could show at Blizzcon that would turn my mood around on it. Maybe a meaningful Ana animated short or something, I dunno.

It's been fun overall otherwise I wouldn't have poured myself body and soul into 13 seasons like a fucking masochist but my experience hasn't really meaningfully changed or improved over so long. Maybe I'll bounce back and "this'll be the season that everything comes together, role queue will fix me right up" but from what I'm what I've played so far I feel the same old. Fixing bad team comps addresses one facet of Overwatch's competitive problems but building on LFG functionality and bringing it to the forefront, and improving in-game control over socials in matchmaking could do a lot to combat toxicity issues and player toxicity more than anything else is still the number one catalyst of bad games in public queue.

And for the love of god Blizzard please add a permanent off-season mode to more easily support players who want to workshop competitive play without potentially tanking their SR. It sounds like a vestigial, meaningless thing to do but attack-defence modes influence team play in nuances that Quick Play misses out on

Also this is a very "me" issue but now I have the bandwidth speed to quickly download new games on the regular (thanks NBN) I don't feel like I need to dedicate the majority of my time to the same multiplayer game, and the pipe dream target I made back in Season 3 (try and get close to Diamond) has been just as far away as it was at launch despite the effort I put in. Call it ennui, I guess.

• Options
    It sounds like you've just played it long enough and are getting bored. It happens, not many people are able to play the same game forever with perpetual enthusiasm. Take a break - maybe you'll miss it and come back around on it later, or maybe you won't.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I'm not sure what you mean by "having 3 charges" but it used to heal people for half of their entire health bar and now it does not. That's all I'm going on here. I wasn't aware they were going to change her in this patch. Or maybe I heard about it and forgot. Didn't seem like she needed changing.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • Options
    https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/patch-notes/pc
    Brigitte

Inspire (Passive)
    Healing amount increased from 100 to 130
    Self-healing from Inspire is now halved

Repair Pack
    Now has 3 charges
    Healing amount changed from 150 to 120
    Now heals over 2 seconds instead of instantly
    If you throw multiple packs at the same person, the current duration will be extended by 2 seconds

Whip Shot
    Out-going velocity increased from 60 to 80
    Retracting time reduced from 0.6 seconds to 0.3

Barrier Shield
    Barrier health reduced from 500 to 200

Shield Bash
    Stun duration reduced from 0.9 seconds to 0.75

Rally
    Ultimate cost increased 10%
    Developer Comment: The goal of these changes is to make Brigitte more of a primary healer for your team, at the cost of weakening her survivability. Since Brigitte will now be only one of two support heroes for your team, it is important that she can provide enough healing to be valuable in that role.

She can use her armor pack three times in a row now. And her aura heals more to allies than before as well.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Repair pack is not a burst heal anymore, it's a heal over time.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure what you mean by "having 3 charges" but it used to heal people for half of their entire health bar and now it does not. That's all I'm going on here. I wasn't aware they were going to change her in this patch. Or maybe I heard about it and forgot. Didn't seem like she needed changing.

With role lock she absolutely needed changing. Before, she was a fantastic third support, but a pretty crappy second support. Whether the new changes will be enough to make her feel more support-y remains to be seen, but she's way more of an actual healer than she was before.

• Options
    SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Eh, been trying her out and she feels... really weak.

You need to be in melee range to do any healing outside your limited three charges. Now that the shield is made of tissue paper, you generally don't survive going in to hit anyone and thus generate healing.

She's a support who NEEDS support in order to survive long enough to do her job as a support. It doesn't help that her damage is straight garbage, and everyone and their grandmother (except the actual grandma) has a way to put distance between themselves and Brig as soon as you close in, at which point they can just shoot you to death and there isn't shit you can do about it, except maybe throw your boop at them which... Doesn't fix the fact that you just hit them even FURTHER outside your effective range needed to heal. Or do anything useful.

They need to redo her, again. Look at all the other close range characters, how do they succeed? By having gap-closing abilities. Brig has ONE gap closer, and she can't even use it if her crappy baby shield is broken (which it pretty much always is now, 200 shield HP is WAY too low) Doomfist is all about gap closing, Rein has his charge and I think he gets some sort of slight forward momentum boost when swinging his hammer? (I dunno, he ALWAYS suddenly seems to outpace me whenever he starts swinging) Reaper has wraith and teleport, Hog has hook. Brig has... a boop.

Syzygy on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Syzygy wrote: »
    Eh, been trying her out and she feels... really weak.

You need to be in melee range to do any healing outside your limited three charges. Now that the shield is made of tissue paper, you generally don't survive going in to hit anyone and thus generate healing.

She's a support who NEEDS support in order to survive long enough to do her job as a support. It doesn't help that her damage is straight garbage, and everyone and their grandmother (except the actual grandma) has a way to put distance between themselves and Brig as soon as you close in, at which point they can just shoot you to death and there isn't shit you can do about it, except maybe throw your boop at them which... Doesn't fix the fact that you just hit them even FURTHER outside your effective range needed to heal. Or do anything useful.

They need to redo her, again. Look at all the other close range characters, how do they succeed? By having gap-closing abilities. Brig has ONE gap closer, and she can't even use it if her crappy baby shield is broken (which it pretty much always is now, 200 shield HP is WAY too low) Doomfist is all about gap closing, Rein has his charge and I think he gets some sort of slight forward momentum boost when swinging his hammer? (I dunno, he ALWAYS suddenly seems to outpace me whenever he starts swinging) Reaper has wraith and teleport, Hog has hook. Brig has... a boop.

I don't put this forward as an effective objection, because it's true, but it needs to be mentioned for the sake of considering all possibilities that they just made her Whip Shot a lot safer to use, with less wind-up and faster recovery. You've got about a one-second buffer to land a Whip Shot to keep Inspire active at all times, which doesn't require her to be in melee range. But it does require her to land a projectile attack every single time it comes up, which isn't necessarily a reasonable expectation.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    After taking a break from the game a few months I returned to discover that Sigma has been released.

He... feels like a nerf bat is coming. His ability to control the battlefield is way beyond anything that, say, Orisa can do. He is also a ton of fun to play.

Then again, this comes from trying him in Arcade and quick matches, so I have no idea how he performs at more competitive levels.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I actually think the new Brig is pretty strong. It just takes a bit more skill to play her now.

Sure it isn't as easy for her to just walk up to the enemy but that's because she's now more of a support and less of a part time DPS(but she's still that).

She's still great at anti-dive and you're best bet if your team is struggling to keep your supports safe.

As for the poke fight that is where she is weakest but you can take shots with the flail and micromanage your health packs while you wait. And If your team is playing a more stationary comp then maybe pick another Support(unless fighting a dive or aggressive team).

Like I don't know old Brig was kind of chessy if we being honest. New Brig still has most of her strengths they just have to be applied thoughtfully now.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Those patch notes are hostile. What the hell are they thinking over there. I don't know wtf I'm supposed to do with a max 20 heal per second that I can apply to at most 3 people. That's... not even worth pressing the button. And is there any visual indication at all there there are "3 charges" ? How the hell am I supposed to know how many I've spent, how many I've earned, or what? Are the cooldowns interleaved or connected? This isn't very clear.

And why nerf her shield? WTF is that about? One of her advantages is she's a healer that can actually defend herself and help push. When like half of tanks I play with never want to do their damn job, it is nice to have a healer than can directly demonstrate to them how to hold a shield up and press W.

That final dev note is hilarious, considering they explicitly note they are "sacrificing survivability" to give her more heals, but all they did was nerf her main heal into the ground. Making her psuedo-Lucio aura a little better doesn't come close to making up for it. And 300 effective HP is a pretty enormous sacrifice for ... what exactly?

It is just increadably infurating. It feels like blizzard is far more focused on making esports people happy than on making their game fun. And that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

I should say I just tried out New Torb yesterday, after having not played Torb in years, and that was not a bad change. I don't miss chasing down scrap, and once I learned you have press q and then also left click to use his ult, and got a feel for it, it is a fine replacement for Lvl 3 turret. I'll give Blizzard a B+ on Torb changes.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Those patch notes are hostile. What the hell are they thinking over there. I don't know wtf I'm supposed to do with a max 20 heal per second that I can apply to at most 3 people. That's... not even worth pressing the button. And is there any visual indication at all there there are "3 charges" ? How the hell am I supposed to know how many I've spent, how many I've earned, or what? Are the cooldowns interleaved or connected? This isn't very clear.

And why nerf her shield? WTF is that about? One of her advantages is she's a healer that can actually defend herself and help push. When like half of tanks I play with never want to do their damn job, it is nice to have a healer than can directly demonstrate to them how to hold a shield up and press W.

That final dev note is hilarious, considering they explicitly note they are "sacrificing survivability" to give her more heals, but all they did was nerf her main heal into the ground. Making her psuedo-Lucio aura a little better doesn't come close to making up for it. And 300 effective HP is a pretty enormous sacrifice for ... what exactly?

You need to reread those patch notes. Her repair pack does 60 healing per second, not 20. As for the charge indications, it's like Tracer where there's a number above the icon in the corner along with a circle that fills to show how close a charge is to coming back.

Edit: I've definitely noticed a pattern where you seem to hate any changes to the game without actually trying them.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I don't play Tracer so that doesn't help, BUT, if you say the gui is the corner of the screen I will look for it there. You would hope an element that important would be closer to the middle of the screen.

And I don't know how you got 60. 120 heal / 3 charges / 2 seconds = 20 heal / sec

edit: Hmm? I'm only mentioned Brig because I noticed her heal became a useless wet noodle. I couldn't have complained about this before I tried it exactly because I found out about it while I was playing.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I don't play Tracer so that doesn't help, BUT, if you say the gui is the corner of the screen I will look for it there.

And I don't know how you got 60. 120 heal / 3 charges / 2 seconds = 20 heal / sec

Each charge does 120 healing over 2 seconds. You can't stack them all on one person, though. They get queued. So you can spread that 120 heal over 3 people or put them all on one person to get 360 healing over 6 seconds.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I don't play Tracer so that doesn't help, BUT, if you say the gui is the corner of the screen I will look for it there.

That's some new and unusual use of the term "charge". It's like assuming that if they gave Tracer another charge she'd only go 3/4th the distance. Each charge heals 60 hp a second for 2 seconds. Multiple charges on the same person extend the duration.

What you seem to be missing is that the changes are geared towards making her a primary healer and they pared back the stuff she had that doesn't really belong in support. I'm not a fan of role queue essentially eliminating the folks who were bits of multiple roles but their intent on these changes is clear.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Brig honestly heals quite a lot now.

So much so that I had to rethink some of her heal combinations.

Really right now I think every support is in a good place except Zenyatta.

Discord nerf, Ultimate cost increase, his low healing output and suspectibility to dive all kind of hurt him very much.

• Options
    Okay, so if it is 120 per charge, that is much more tolerable. They should have said so in the notes. You might almost be able to save someone with that. It's is still demonstrably worse than before, because Brigitte's reason d'etre was her single target burst heal. Now just a slow Lucio with a stun. Which is .... fine. I guess if you are going to push 222 down our throats we are going to lose some hero diversity.

I wasn't aware they already had a "charge" mechanism for Tracer. I only played her a few times when the game first came out, so I've forgotten anything I ever knew about her.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Okay, so if it is 120 per charge, that is much more tolerable. They should have said so in the notes. You might almost be able to save someone with that. It's is still demonstrably worse than before, because Brigitte's reason d'etre was her single target burst heal. Now just a slow Lucio with a stun. Which is .... fine. I guess if you are going to push 222 down our throats we are going to lose some hero diversity.

I wasn't aware they already had a "charge" mechanism for Tracer. I only played her a few times when the game first came out, so I've forgotten anything I ever knew about her.

Is this your first game with a MOBA-like ability layout? Charges are a super common mechanic.

Slow Lucio seems like a weird comp because Lucio isn't healing people for most of their healthbar half the map away. In terms of long distance spread heals she's much closer to Ana now, with lower throughput but much less vulnerable to being dove.

Edit: And very importantly, Brig can heal that Tracer or Genji behind opposing barriers while Ana can't, iirc.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    If you are asking if I've ever played a MOBA the answer is no.

It does kind of remind me of some MMOs where some abilities have "charges" with interleaved cooldowns and a gui built into the actual button to show how many you had and how far along you are into charging another one. They usuallly had some kind of cap for how many charges you could store for later.

I don't recall TF2 ever doing anything like that. The only one I can think of right now is there was an Engie gun that would store crits if you lost a turret that had gotten kills. But there was no cooldown or recharge or cap.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Edit: Posted too late for the argument, no need to drag it out.

Zek on
  • Options
    Yeh that might be fair. I was, apparently, basing a lot of my frustration on a nerf that is actually 1/3 as bad as I was experiencing in-game. I'm going to have to go back in and try using the charges and see if that helps a bit.

I am upset about 222, but it is what it is.

Incidents like this just terrify me down to my core that one day Mei is going to get the treatment and I'm going have to just quit because nope.

• Options
    One thing I wish they would do with Brigitte is change her passive into an aura, and not a one-time heal over time application. That has its pros and cons for balance, but it's just a lot easier to understand.

The weird thing about her is that she is the only support whose healing is conditional on the enemy. That means she is super sensitive to team composition on both sides. As a rule of thumb, if you find that you are not regularly keeping that aura active for any reason, change characters. I don't recommend playing her if the whipshot is the only way you can apply your aura and survive. Ironically she's both a dive support and an anti-dive support. But she is truly inept in standoff situations where long distance teams are trading blows.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    This thing about MOBAs has me thinking. That's an entire different game culture I know nothing about. People made a lot of MOBA comparisons back when Overwatch first came out. But to me, Overwatch will always be effectively Team Fortress 3.

TF2 never changed classes, the entire time. What they changed was weapons. Each class can equip a bunch of different weapons with sometimes wacky abilities. So a particular "loadout" was very similar to an entire hero in Overwatch.

People would complain about individual weapons, and those weapons would then see nerfs or buffs. The classes themselves changed very little, because there was little to change.

Whereas, from what I understand MOBAs have large rosters of playable classes, and they probably see new ones added and existing ones refactored at a relatively rapid pace? I guess one of the things that bothers me about Overwatch is how changes tend to come in giant waves, redoing entire heroes and gameplay mechanics in ways that feel very drastic to someone who built the same Engie turrets almost exactly the same way for nearly a decade.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
This discussion has been closed.