As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DOTA 2] The International 2019

• Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    Alliance can't feel good about that one.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Sceptre wrote: »

It's a tough loss, but that draft had to win before 30 min, and they got damn close, but the enemy cores came online and they couldn't push objectives anymore. I also think Broodmother is going to quickly become a must ban in the tournament, she is super strong.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah, considering the fact secret is probably the strongest team there and they were probably one catch from winning, they should walk with head held high from that one. They lost to a cheese strat, and only barely with a draft I'll equipped to deal with it.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Sceptre wrote: »

It's a tough loss, but that draft had to win before 30 min, and they got damn close, but the enemy cores came online and they couldn't push objectives anymore. I also think Broodmother is going to quickly become a must ban in the tournament, she is super strong.

Any recommendations on matches to watch good brood play? I always struggled with her.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So I got the email yesterday saying "The International starts today!" but I saw that the schedule had everything listed as being on the 15h, which is today.

... In America.

I fucking forgot that they're elsewhere this year, I missed the first day of group stage. :(

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Henroid wrote: »
    So I got the email yesterday saying "The International starts today!" but I saw that the schedule had everything listed as being on the 15h, which is today.

... In America.

I fucking forgot that they're elsewhere this year, I missed the first day of group stage. :(

It didn't help that they were scheduled to start at 9EST, and then didn't start proper until about an hour later.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    Ogre-Magi puttin' in work.....

BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    It may be petty, and I don't know for sure what drama caused Fly to bail on OG, but I'm glad EG lost both of their games yesterday to Fnatic.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    What does OG have to do with EG and Fnatic?

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    What does OG have to do with EG and Fnatic?

Fly plays for EG.

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    And Fly was a long, long time teammate of n0tail from back in the days of HoN and maybe even vanilla DotA. Before TI 2018, Fly bailed on the team with little to no notice (according to websites and Internet hullabaloo) which prompted them to recruit Topson at the last minute who, at the time, was just a streamer and not a pro.

Again, I don't know what happened internally to cause the strife between n0tail and Fly, but speculation was that Fly didn't think OG could win and therefore bailed for a better team, leaving his longtime close friend in the lurch. I was just so happy to see OG win last year despite the adversity of the situation, I can't help but say "fuck Fly" and therefore EG by proxy.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    I made nachos for dinner and am in time for the TI goodness to start.

• Options
    Vg is currently running an Earthshaker + Morphling combo against VP and it is fucking dirty.

• Options
    And Fly was a long, long time teammate of n0tail from back in the days of HoN and maybe even vanilla DotA. Before TI 2018, Fly bailed on the team with little to no notice (according to websites and Internet hullabaloo) which prompted them to recruit Topson at the last minute who, at the time, was just a streamer and not a pro.

Again, I don't know what happened internally to cause the strife between n0tail and Fly, but speculation was that Fly didn't think OG could win and therefore bailed for a better team, leaving his longtime close friend in the lurch. I was just so happy to see OG win last year despite the adversity of the situation, I can't help but say "fuck Fly" and therefore EG by proxy.

Yep, Fly and S4 left OG maybe 2 months before TI? Then they were replaced by Topson (who had never competed in a LAN) and their coach Ceb (7ckingMad). Then had the cinderella run at TI.

• Options
    NIP just racked up a 60k+ gold lead against Fanatic and still had issues ending the game.

• Options
    There was another match with a comeback after a 20k gold deficit. It really goes to show that no match is over until the Valkyrie sings.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Against the Odds explains the OG/Fly/Notail thing, and also follows OG's path to the TI8 grand finals.

I legit enjoyed that documentary.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    ALERT: OG is playing carry Io against NiP right now

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    411Randle wrote: »
    ALERT: OG is playing carry Io against NiP right now

They picked carry Io for both games vs NiP.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

It also gave us The Handshake, which still gives me chills.

• Options
    Not gonna lie, I copied most of my battle pass predictions off other sources, but regardless of people saying Secret will win this TI, I put OG.

From what I'm reading elsewhere, it sounds like I need to watch a bunch of those matches after work.

One aspect that keeps making me laugh is that apparently OG spamming chatwheel stuff and tipping is causing other teams to mute them, which led to them using sprays (which can't be ignored, it seems). The next level 'bm' play here is that they keep using their opponents icon for said chat lines, and apparently Ceb keeps setting their opponents as his 'favourite team', which shows up in the base and whenever he TPs.

It's a tiny detail that when pointed out, I just love.

With 15 fucking million dollars on the line, I can appreciate having some bits of psychological warfare thrown in the mix. Even if it's just amusing themselves to keep morale high.

• Options
    Watching OG (and to some extent alliance) play is such a joy. There's just such nutty comps and execution with an absolute joy of execution involved.
    This year is so loose and client, I love it.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I can only imagine what the draft of Alliance vs. OG will be like if they both decide to go full galaxy brain.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    l_g wrote: »
    I can only imagine what the draft of Alliance vs. OG will be like if they both decide to go full galaxy brain.

First pick techies

• Options
    Apparently Secret has been spamming them in matches leading up to TI, and supposedly teams were fast banning it.

Which is heartening.

Both pros and sub-1k scrubs such as myself want nothing to do with that bullshit.

People can say 'oh you just have to play around it' all they like, TI bans speak for themselves.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Apparently Secret has been spamming them in matches leading up to TI, and supposedly teams were fast banning it.

Which is heartening.

Both pros and sub-1k scrubs such as myself want nothing to do with that bullshit.

People can say 'oh you just have to play around it' all they like, TI bans speak for themselves.

I'm a fan of it as a spectator because of how enormous the strategic implications of it are. You can really see movement around the map change on a large scale due to it, as well as how they decide where to fight. I agree that as a player it can be a bit of a slog, but when I'm not the one dealing with the stress of it, it's great! Plus I really enjoy seeing how entire teams with pro-level mindgames come up with guesses as to where the mines are, and the techies player trying to be sneaky given how clever their foes are. In pub games at the level I've played at, people just run into mines and die, so there's no real need to be sneaky nevermind opportunity to be sneaky.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Forar wrote: »

Which is heartening.

The character never should have been added to the game. Techies either snowballs, or forces shitty play where the game takes 8 times longer to finish than it needs to. It's the only character in Dota that punishes both teams for being picked. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll get off my soapbox and shoo these kids off my lawn.

Bummer to see NIP has been struggling. I've always had a soft spot for PPD teams.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Ever see a game where a team picked up two Rapiers? Because it just happened in this Alliance vs Newbee game.

Edit - That was a wild ending goddamn.

Henroid on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Finally got around to watching the Red Bull documentary on OG. Damn good. I love N0tail so much. Also, fuck Fly forever.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Alliance need to work on their lategame. And midgame.

Two losses with megacreeps now, that's just silly.

• Options
    Frozenzen wrote: »

I couldn't believe how much the match was in their favor and they managed to blow it. The late game loss came down to inability to team fight as well and the midgame was... I dunno, maybe fear of pushing too hard?

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

I couldn't believe how much the match was in their favor and they managed to blow it. The late game loss came down to inability to team fight as well and the midgame was... I dunno, maybe fear of pushing too hard?

This alliance squad has always had incredible difficulties finishing games. They often blow 30k+ leads due to just dragging games out, but losing when you have megas not once, but twice is crazy. If they stay together after TI they have to change something up.

edit: The main part of this game loss came down to Gyro farming megas for 15 minutes to actually come online, and alliance could not deal with 2 strong cores (one of which was gyro with rapier).

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Team Secret is getting their asses kicked right now, as they should, because this draft looks like a PUG team.

Edit - And of course as soon as I say that they win their first team encounter.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Holy shit when did Sniper become a pro-viable character? Nisha just had a 12k damage fight with him and a 7k gold boost.

Edit - During the EG vs INF round Sumail hit 1k kills in TI, first player to do so. Congrats!

Henroid on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    The level of pro Dota has just gotten so absurd. These teams play at such an incredible pace now. Ice Frog has definitely created a fun to watch meta here.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Apparently I was wrong, Maybe beat Sumail to the 1k record. Still, congrats to them both.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Either way, 1000 kills in TI play is incredible

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    I keep forgetting the name of the guy Tobiwan usually does commentary with but they had their game client crash just now, and really without missing a beat he just said "okay it's Radio DotA now" and picked up in describing what was happening. Those folks are pros.

As an aside I usually have twitch chat turned off for huge streams like this but I took a peek at it when Tobi started popping off about a team fight and it was full of PogChamps. Accurate.

• Options

This alliance squad has always had incredible difficulties finishing games. They often blow 30k+ leads due to just dragging games out, but losing when you have megas not once, but twice is crazy. If they stay together after TI they have to change something up.

edit: The main part of this game loss came down to Gyro farming megas for 15 minutes to actually come online, and alliance could not deal with 2 strong cores (one of which was gyro with rapier).

It seems like this meta is a bit weird. Large gold leads are good, but well executed team fights can still outweigh them, and it feels like a lot of teams are playing it very safe as a result. So many of the drafts rely on 1 or 2 hard carry cores to finish the game right now. And if you're the first to lose your ultra farmed core late you're probably going to lose the game.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Holy shit when did Sniper become a pro-viable character? Nisha just had a 12k damage fight with him and a 7k gold boost.

I'm waiting the re-run and this fight just happened on the multi-stream. Crazy.