As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Starsector is an open-world single-player space-combat hyphenated-description game

• swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    So of course, after I complain about shitty planets, I find a system with a jungle and two desert worlds. I start a colony on the jungle world, and guess what I find in the system next door? A terran and (I think, forgot) tundra world! I probably should have waited abit more before colonizing, but I got too excited. I at least got farming, ground defenses, and patrol HQ queued up. Now back to exploration. Now I just need to remember a previous system I visited that had a crapton of domain stuff sitting around. If I can remember it, I'll bring along a colossus and loot everything.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Is the Commerce industry useful as anything other than +1 stability and a remote market? It seems otherwise not great since the tariffs don't seem to go to me, and I'm a quick hop from the core where I can use the black market.

No but it will be in the next big release.

wbBv3fj.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Ended up with an Accidental Nice Build on my shiny new Nemean Lion Battle Fortress.

Gauss Cannon: does a nice chunk of hard flux damage on shields.
    Tachyon Lance: Beam weapon that does EMP damage with a chance to arc through shields and disable systems, higher chance with higher hard flux.
    Hephaestus Assault Gun: wait for the other two to bring down shields/systems, then pound some armor.

The rest of the loadout is pretty much just anti-fighters/missiles.

• SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    Actually, why ARE we capped at 4 colonies? That seems like a very arbitrary limit. Do the other factions never expand? I thought if I sold them survey data it would cause them to potentially colonize the planet tied to the data. If the NPC factions can constantly expand, then how is a player with only 4 colonies supposed to compete?

Also, how do you put out bounties on fleets/characters/bases/etc? There's a pirate base 4 lightyears from the planet I colonized and they will not stop raiding and harassing my colony, costing me money on it and I don't have anywhere near the firepower to take their base out. Why can't I pay one of the merc fleets I see floating around to do it?

You are not capped at 4 colonies. You can have up to 6(?) before you start getting penalties. An unlimited number if youre willing to take the stability hit and alpha AI managed colonies do not count towards the penalty threshold.

Other factions do not expand due to sector stability issues. The Nexelerin mod may have that as a feature but i doubt it

You cannot put out bounties (it may be coming in the future but has not been announced as a feature). You have to clear those yourself.

wbBv3fj.png
    edited August 2019
    Ahhhh ok, that's pretty neato. I saw the colony management skill perk and I thought that the number of colonies you could have at all was capped to 4.

Syzygy on
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    A streamer I watch recently discovered that selling Onslaught plans on the black market has consequences.

This game has so many great little features.

Strikor on
    Strikor wrote: »
    A streamer I watch recently discovered that selling Onslaught plans on the black market has consequences.

This game has so many great little features.

Consequences like free onslaught hulls!

wbBv3fj.png
    Just now noticed autocorrect changed "colony" to "Coliny".

What the absolute shit is going on any more?

Also, I installed an Alpha level AI as my colony leader and now the Hegemony or whatever they're called keep sending UN inspectors that I have to constantly pay bribes to.

If I annihilate their entire faction will that stop the constant harassment? I just want to make money here.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    So, this seems like my jam, but I am wondering how finished it is. The website calls it an alpha.

Is this a finished game that’s in a state of near permanent development like Kerbel or just a really promising alpha?

Phillishere on
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    It's been in development since like 2011, and is a very full game. They added colony management recently which is well fleshed out and adds a cool end game goal -- it's definitely worth the price now, and is close to release for whatever that's worth given the development timeline.

Alpha status is very misleading. It's very stable and packed with features and content. Definitely worth a buy.
    Syzygy wrote: »
    Also, I installed an Alpha level AI as my colony leader and now the Hegemony or whatever they're called keep sending UN inspectors that I have to constantly pay bribes to.

Huh, I didn't know you could install them as leaders. I've just been putting them on building management.

Syzygy wrote: »
    Just now noticed autocorrect changed "colony" to "Coliny".

What the absolute shit is going on any more?

If I annihilate their entire faction will that stop the constant harassment? I just want to make money here.

Yes. If you are hostile with them your forces will also automatically kill their inspectors whenever they come too.

wbBv3fj.png
    Seems like they'd just stop sending their inspectors after awhile if they keep not coming back.

Well *someone* needs to inspect what happened to the last inspectors.

So I started a new game, making fewer stupid noob decisions. This time I started without taking a commission with Tri-Tach due to the fact that everyone hates them. Last game, I established a colony but it ended up with a -50% accessibility penalty due to “faction hostilities.”

This game, I didn’t take a commission and my new colony has 80% accessibility with faction hostility only accounting for 11% (Pirates and Pathers).

Although, I see I’m losing relation with the League and T-T due to “diplomatic blunders.” Anyone know what that is? The most hostile thing I’ve done so far is destroy a Luddic colony fleet, and I managed that with minimal detection and didn’t take much of a reputation hit.

P.S. Does this game make anyone else want to rewatch firefly or is it just me?

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Starsector plays like I remember Escape Velocity.

Firefly ... views like I remember Escape Velocity.

9KmX8eN.jpg
    swphreak wrote: »
    So I started a new game, making fewer stupid noob decisions. This time I started without taking a commission with Tri-Tach due to the fact that everyone hates them. Last game, I established a colony but it ended up with a -50% accessibility penalty due to “faction hostilities.”

This game, I didn’t take a commission and my new colony has 80% accessibility with faction hostility only accounting for 11% (Pirates and Pathers).

Although, I see I’m losing relation with the League and T-T due to “diplomatic blunders.” Anyone know what that is? The most hostile thing I’ve done so far is destroy a Luddic colony fleet, and I managed that with minimal detection and didn’t take much of a reputation hit.

P.S. Does this game make anyone else want to rewatch firefly or is it just me?

Are you playing Nexerelin or Vanilla? Nexerelin has random events that raise/lower your diplomatic standing with other factions -- I haven't seen anything like that in vanilla yet though.

Yeah, I have Nexerelin installed.

edited August 2019
    That would be it then. That system actually made me stop playing Nexerelin for the time being -- it's waaaaay too random, and not fun for me. I wanted to befriend the techy factions (Tri-tachyon and ORA modded empire) in my Nexerlin game, and had great rep with both of them. But, over the course of two minutes I got two random events that took me from +30 with Tri-tachyon to -75 and them declaring war on me, with 0 input from me. It winds up making your allied factions random, which I'm not a fan of.

Anyone know a way to turn off the random events in Nexerelin, on that note? I like everything else it does, but sending me to war with my biggest ally due to two random events in the span of 5 minutes is silly.

Fiatil on
    Space Luddite stations are no joke. They seem to be able to soak up an incredible amount of damage and while they don't do a lot of burst in return, their guns easily outrange my fleet which makes it difficult to back off and vent. Even my carrier's triple Khopesh rocket assaults did little damage and those things rip right through cruisers!

In the end I only ended up losing one ship I didn't care about to begin with, but a few others picked up some D-mods (I would like to know wtf you were doing shooting the station with your point defenses, missile cruiser) which I'm not looking forward to paying to fix in addition to building multiple colonies.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Maaaan I wish this game had a rolling autosave

I played for three hours last night but I'm still on the same savegame that I started the night at :P

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    is there a starter guide for this? i bought it cause it looks cool as hell, but i finished the tutorial stuff and i'm kinda just chucked into the world and unsure what to do

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

I played for three hours last night but I'm still on the same savegame that I started the night at :P

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9748.0

Knight_ wrote: »
    is there a starter guide for this? i bought it cause it looks cool as hell, but i finished the tutorial stuff and i'm kinda just chucked into the world and unsure what to do

If you have the cargo space for it, transport missions gave me some money at the start to expand my fleet a little bit and gear it up for proper combat.

F5 is quick save and F9 is quick load. I F5 alllll the time.
    Knight_ wrote: »

I used the wiki. Super helpful.

https://starsector.fandom.com/wiki/Getting_Started

I keep restarting with more and more mods. Not a bad problem to have, mind you.

Unless I can find a way to turn off those RNG reputation changes or exempt the player faction, I’m probably going to turn off Nexelerin for my next playthrough.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Unless I can find a way to turn off those RNG reputation changes or exempt the player faction, I’m probably going to turn off Nexelerin for my next playthrough.

Just a guess, but you could try modifying this line in Starsector\mods\nexerelin\exerelin_config.json

"followersDiplomacy": true, # does player faction participate in diplomacy on its own? (default true)

Just a guess, but you could try modifying this line in Starsector\mods\nexerelin\exerelin_config.json

"followersDiplomacy": true, # does player faction participate in diplomacy on its own? (default true)

I’ll have to give that a try. Do you think it’ll mess up my current save, or should I wait to change it on my next play-through?

I'll probably give that a shot today! I'm not sure why the Nexerelin guy thought having player faction diplomacy be 90% random was a good idea. Takes me quite a bit to get to +30, then it can go crashing down to -75 without my input in the blink of an eye.

Something like that *should* be perfectly safe to toggle on or off without causing issues. Worst case it just won't do anything

Do share with the class! So far I've just added the faction mods recommended earlier plus a couple more that struck my fancy.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

I’ll have to give that a try. Do you think it’ll mess up my current save, or should I wait to change it on my next play-through?

If you have a bunch of player factions the random Rep changes become a non-issue.

Nexelerin is sorta designed for a bunch of factions.

This won’t help you now, but something to keep in mind for a future play through.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.

It should be fine. If you want to be super safe, you could make a new save (can't remember the option name at the moment, copy save or something like that, it's under the escape menu next to Save), exit the game and make the edit, then load that new save.

Echo wrote: »

Do share with the class! So far I've just added the faction mods recommended earlier plus a couple more that struck my fancy.

Nothing especially fancy. Faction mods are: Blackrock Drive Yards, Celestial Mount Circle, Diable Avionics, Extratenial Lanestate Union, GKSec, Hazard Mining Incorporated, Interstellar Imperium, Junk Pirates, Kadur Remnant, Neutrino Corporation, Outer Rim Alliance, Shadowyards, Tyrador Safeguard Coalition, and Underworld (with Starlight Cabal disabled in settings because I found it OP as fuck and not enjoyable to fight).

Big mods are Nexerelin + Vayra's sector. I have Fuel Siphoning running this time too but haven't used it. The only portrait pack I'm running is, fittingly, called Portrait Pack because it's the only one I could find that seemed to fit the game setting. I also like Luddic Enhancement because there are few things as hilarious as being chased by space luddites. Especially when this happens:
    ZbRXg5m.png
    BLASPHEMOUS ADULTS!

Luddite ships are soooo good. Free safety overrides (which you cannot uninstall)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i found this mission to go scout a probe way out in the boonies. ended up going ok, though i had to kill some drone platform things and i only brought my salvagey ships to get enough range to head out there. i also need to figure out how to get more cargo space on the cheap, since i ended up leaving a ton of stuff back where it was.

i am outstandingly bad at the combat in this game, but it seems cool. i love all the designs.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

The curse of Fallout fans.

So it looks like this works so far. I noticed a post on the mod's thread that pointed out the same thing, so it seems pretty solid! Hooray for easily configurable text settings. There's also a setting in that file to mess with the tarrifs (they're already lower in Nex than in the base game), and to increase/decrease the time it takes for invasion fleets to build up and come to you.