As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fitness and Weight Management]: It's a lifestyle

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So you fast for 16 hours and eat your meals within an eight hour window?

Yeah, there are variants like 18/6 or 19/5. I think 16/8 is the most popular.

Some folks do 5/2 which is eat 5 days skip 2 (or eat minimally on those 2 days)

Edit:

While we are on the topic of diets I have a hard time planing to eat enough, it always feels like so much food. As a 5’10” guy I know I should be shooting for like 2k calories a day but I find it hard to hit more than like 1700 especially because I want to avoid eating processed foods.

If I could eat a 2,000 calorie pill every morning I would.

Man, I hear this. I'm 6'2" and on the days I do IF (especially OMAD) combined with me doing keto, I STRUGGLE to get anywhere near the amount of calories I need. Granted, I'm trying to slim down a bit, but I don't want to make a habit of getting too far under my calorie goal.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    On the opposite side of the scale, I was playing around with a fitness/calorie tracker app recommended by a coworker and I've come out the other side genuinely horrified by its recommendations, and also confused about whether I should be horrified - I do want to lose weight for my brother's wedding in November, but I want to do it in a way that's sustainable and practicable and not going to make me want to throw myself out of a window. I'm 5'4" and 155lb; on a regular week my exercise routine is:

Cycle 20km a day 4-5 times a week
    standard-to-strenuous level yoga 3 times a week
    outrigger canoe (open-ocean paddling) for ~2.5 hours once a week
    Plus I walk at least 5km a day and every other week or so I throw in an extra long cycle on the weekend day that I don't go out paddling.

The app I installed is suggesting my daily caloric intake should be 1200 if I want to lose 1lb a week. Does that seem... right? To anyone? It seems really low to me to be healthy, but... I just do not know, man. Maybe I'm just being whiny and need to put on my big girl pants?

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    1200 a day with all that activity strikes me as low. But this is from the perspective of a 6 foot male

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    On the opposite side of the scale, I was playing around with a fitness/calorie tracker app recommended by a coworker and I've come out the other side genuinely horrified by its recommendations, and also confused about whether I should be horrified - I do want to lose weight for my brother's wedding in November, but I want to do it in a way that's sustainable and practicable and not going to make me want to throw myself out of a window. I'm 5'4" and 155lb; on a regular week my exercise routine is:

Cycle 20km a day 4-5 times a week
    standard-to-strenuous level yoga 3 times a week
    outrigger canoe (open-ocean paddling) for ~2.5 hours once a week
    Plus I walk at least 5km a day and every other week or so I throw in an extra long cycle on the weekend day that I don't go out paddling.

The app I installed is suggesting my daily caloric intake should be 1200 if I want to lose 1lb a week. Does that seem... right? To anyone? It seems really low to me to be healthy, but... I just do not know, man. Maybe I'm just being whiny and need to put on my big girl pants?

Is the app MyFitnessPal? I'm 5'3 and female and it made similar recommendations to me. However, that's on a sedentary lifestyle (I have a desk job) and when I do cardio I can add it in and it adds to my total allowable calories for the day

I also used the water tracker and tried to boost my water consumption at the same time, under the guideline of drinking around half my body weight in ounces a day. I never felt hungry, and I mostly realized I just love the act of snacking

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Yes that seems low for your activity level. You won't drop dead but you'd probably feel your energy take a noticeable hit during your exercises.

Maybe bump it to like 1600 and see how that feels and what the weight does over 2+ weeks.

Alternatively, if you've been at a pretty stable weight already, just get diligent with tracking what you eat normally to figure out your current baseline, then shave off of that. Losing 1 lb a week should need a deficit of ~500 kcal per day on average.

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    So the way I've found that works best is track your calories for a couple weeks, along with your weight. Generate a baseline. Then once you have that baseline cut 500 or so calories each day and go from there. Track for a couple more weeks and continue to adjust.

You're friends are going to be a good set of measuring cups and a nice food scale. Being able to accurately measure portions is required for good tracking, at least at first.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Thanks guys. I think I'll do that - track for a week or so and then knock off 500, rather than arbitrarily aiming for 1200. Especially with an OC race coming up next week, with me as seat 1 (setting the pace), I don't want to be exhausted for the team.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Thanks guys. I think I'll do that - track for a week or so and then knock off 500, rather than arbitrarily aiming for 1200. Especially with an OC race coming up next week, with me as seat 1 (setting the pace), I don't want to be exhausted for the team.

Ohhh yea totally don't cut calories till after that race! woof that would be rough!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    That definitely seems like an aggressively low calorie goal. It would depend on your body comp, but for me, "extreme" weight loss is around 1600 calories, which is in theory ~2lbs a week. This is as a 6'2" person. Though I guess if you were a fair bit shorter, it could be fine. Still, I think you have the right idea with how you are going to go about it.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I think for the activity level and height 1500-1600 is probably right on the money for salient.

1200 is like 1.5 lb a week, but you'll feel like trash the whole time. Maintenance calories for her is likely at 2100ish.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Is strava still the go to app for cycling? I bought a bike yesterday and wanna do some tracking.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    MyFitnessPal recommended me 1300/day for losing 10kg, 0.5kg/week. I'm 164.5cm (5' 4.5”) and not very active.

Edited cos I got the number wrong

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    Phasen wrote: »
    Is strava still the go to app for cycling? I bought a bike yesterday and wanna do some tracking.

I used it for tracking my running and liked it a lot for that, though I can’t speak to cycling specifically.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I like Strava for cycling, yeah. It has a solid user base which helps when planning rides, too, because you can look at other people's saved routes (there's one near my work called Ring of Death)

tynic wrote: »
    I like Strava for cycling, yeah. It has a solid user base which helps when planning rides, too, because you can look at other people's saved routes (there's one near my work called Ring of Death)

Its heat map feature when planning routes is really useful too for keeping off roads that are totally bike unfriendly

Steam ID
    Oh yeah I forgot about that - those are incredibly handy on long distance rides.

edited August 2019
    Awesome thanks! Very interesting stuff.

Phasen on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Healthy lunches are my nemesis. Trying to avoid my old habits of toast or cheese sandwiches, but it is against my religion to spend more than 120 seconds preparing lunch. Breakfast and dinner I'm happy to do something more complex but for whatever reason I just hate spending time on lunch. I don't want to have to chop stuff or spend time cooking.

Today my lunch was half a can of mixed bean salad with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Which I guess is healthier than what I would pick before.

Related note: am starting to notice some not great effects of switching to a pulse-heavy diet over the last week. Hopefully that will ease off soon.

Oh also, weighed myself again today and I'm at 74.3kg. Which is nearly 1kg heavier than last Friday. Since then I have cut out meat and sugar. I do not understand what's happening.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    So you'd be combining your daily 120 seconds for the week into one chunk on a day and I don't know if that's allowed or if you'll get excommunicated or burned or something, but preparing lunches for the week ahead of time on Sunday is the only way I manage. There's loads of stuff you can make big batches of and parcel out into servings for each day that are easy and healthy and you can make them taste how you want and so they're usually better than what you'd get if you buy food out somewhere.

Peen on
    The problem I have with that is fridge space. We never have any. But maybe I'll try and give it a go if I can think of a week's worth of stuff I want to make.

I like to make burritos in bulk. Make em, wrap em in foil and in the morning all I have to do is pull them out and toss them in a bag.

Another easy lunch for me is an avocado sardine sandwich

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I've been doing lentil salads, they'd dead easy and you can throw almost anything in with the lentils and vinaigrette and have it be good, and it's good cold or at room temperature and also doesn't need to be refrigerated itself. 10/10, would recommend.

I usually make enough dinner for two meals and then just have whatever's left for lunch the next day. It's not as timesaving as doing a huge dish on Sunday, but it's also not as monotonous or fridge-hogging, and it means I never have to even think about lunch in the mornings (using your brain before 10am is for psychopaths and Mary Poppins).

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Started running again, following some algorithmically generated training plan on my Vivoactive 3. Hopefully the bots are smarter than me because I've always been terrible at running and building speed and endurance. My cardio for the last 9 months has been indoor ergometer rowing in my basement nothing because I have a baby and it's hard to find time in the day. It's not ideal but I think I'm going to try to go out right after dinner (ugh) because Mrs Mittens gets home late and if I did a 30 minute run and a quick rinse in the shower after she got home and could watch the little one we wouldn't be eating dinner until probably after 8. I may try to make lunch my big meal of the day and have a smaller supper on exercise days so I don't feel awful. Or I could wake up early and go first thing in the morning but hahaha like that would ever happen.

m!ttens on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I like to make burritos in bulk. Make em, wrap em in foil and in the morning all I have to do is pull them out and toss them in a bag.

Another easy lunch for me is an avocado sardine sandwich

I love burritos but I gain a pound for every tortilla I eat which doesn't make any sense because they don't even weigh that much.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I weighed myself this morning and was surprised the drop was more than expected from last week

Then I remembered I got a haircut mid week, from a very long thick style to a layered short one

Hair!!!

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I'm becoming unreasonably frustrated with people hogging machines and not even using them right. Or maybe reasonably? This wastes at least half an hour of my time a couple of times a week.

Ask to work in

Steam ID
  • mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    When I’m in a squat rack and all the others are full as well, I try to be aware of other folks waiting for a rack. Then I’ll make eye contact and wave them over and ask if they wanna work in. I end up feeling self conscious because I’ll go from squats right into overhead presses and depending on the weight I’m using, I’ll spend close to an hour in there.

People have typically been super happy to work in when offered.

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
    I ended up just throwing in some more upper body while waiting for this guy to finish trying to use to a low back machine for oblique crunches/a leaning post.

It's not unreasonable to be at a station for an extended period of time. It's so much easier to just ask them to work in rather than try to wait them out and get frustrated, they'll almost always say yes. If someone does say no then yeah sure that's an asshole right there

Steam ID
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Untapped market for a "ask me about working in!" Gym t shirt

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    I weighed myself this morning and was surprised the drop was more than expected from last week

Then I remembered I got a haircut mid week, from a very long thick style to a layered short one

Hair!!!

Hey, weight is weight.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    First time biking in over 15 years and it felt pretty dang good. Was able to go 7.2 miles by wandering aimlessly getting use to it and felt like I was going to throw up once I got home but otherwise pretty good!

My butt has hurt for 2 days though and I'm not sure if thats due to some adjustments I could make or I need to tough my butt up.

We should all tough our butts up. Butt tough life!

Speaking of which, I've been doing a lot of core, leg & hip work and I feel a whole lot..steadier? Like I could just plant my feet and good luck moving me.

Wide stance and don’t let people get their hips under yours.

(Says the guy who broke an ankle grappling.)

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I ran a 5k a few days ago. My girlfriend ran it in like 20 minutes and was second overall female, 12th out of several hundred, I ran it in 35, and improved my time!

Feeling pretty good!

My asthma is still kicking my ass, but I am recovering faster than I have before

Went outdoor bouldering for the first time ever. Was going with another friend for their first time with two of his friends that were experienced. They said they’d bring all the required gear and showed up with a grand total of one smaller crash pad.

Needless to say, I stuck to low routes and traverses.

And one of my friends friends is now at urgent care getting X-rays for one or maybe two broken ankles.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I ran a 5k a few days ago. My girlfriend ran it in like 20 minutes and was second overall female, 12th out of several hundred, I ran it in 35, and improved my time!

Feeling pretty good!

My asthma is still kicking my ass, but I am recovering faster than I have before

Hey, if you can run 5k with ashthma in any time, you're doing a damn good job IMO

This discussion has been closed.