As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Purple
    I mean my current technique is base, wash, drybrush, highlights/details. Maybe my dry brushing needs improvement but I never feel I get as much out of it as I can, personally.

Gotcha. My bad I didn’t look back far enough to see what you were already doing. I personally like the edge highlighted look of the GW studio models so I started practicing it right away. Only things you need are a brush with a fine tip and a lot of patience. I bought a few “level 3” size 0 brushes at Michael’s for a few dollars each and they’re the best I have for most applications: I like them better than my Games & Gears brushes that were 4x the cost. The technique I was taught is to cup the heels of my hands together with my elbows on the table. The biggest variance I find is in the consistency of my paint; despite using a wet pallet I always feel like my paint changes consistency too quickly.

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Purple
    4lo3fzawnp1i.jpeg
    Rust Point Devastators ready to rumble!

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I've had a headache since airbrushing last night. I couldn't find a face mask and decided to use my t shirt, probably wasn't a good idea.

Edit: Found my mask, fixed the missed spots and then did the base for burnt iron. Went on way easier. Gonna do the gold tonight.

I'm trying to figure out what to use to varnish my other knight, I don't know if I want matte or varnish. I wish I had been varnishing while I was painting it up so I could have varnished the skeleton and then the armor plates separately.

ufxf6t9b8ad2.jpeg

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    Crappy lighting, but I just finished painting my first Stormcast and I'm fairly happy with how it turned out:

vSIstok.jpg

I think the gold came out pretty well but I do want to darken it up a bit. I think I'm gonna use gloss nuln oil. I was planning on gloss reikland flesh but I'm not sure anymore.

t2ZySQ4.jpg

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

Purple
    Stragint wrote: »
    I think the gold came out pretty well but I do want to darken it up a bit. I think I'm gonna use gloss nuln oil. I was planning on gloss reikland flesh but I'm not sure anymore.

t2ZySQ4.jpg

It might be the lighting but that looks more like brass than gold. In this case I’d recommend Agra’s Earthshade gloss.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Looks quite golden on my screen. But I would also go with agrax instead of nuln. Or a mix of both. Not pure nuln anyway. Unless you want a dirty looking gold.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Purple
    Eff yeah, looks like bright gold to me! Nice smooth coats you got there.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvpADQPOHkI

An interesting change to the channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXGOR4BZN3o
    gasp a woman painting minis. YOu don't see much on warcry though

Nips wrote: »
    Eff yeah, looks like bright gold to me! Nice smooth coats you got there.

Thank you, I appreciate that. I'm kind of paranoid and always feel like I've screwed up.

yyq3b7pycqm9.jpeg

The legs look a lot darker but I also think that is because there is the big hole in the front.

I'm considering another pass with the gloss agrax.

Purple
    I think it looks good now. If you wanted do do another layer around the feet and joints to make those parts more dirty than that would work.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    got some more grandpa terminators under construction

NDSbbwY.jpg?1

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Those gold mechs are incredible. Dang.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Purple
    I love the official Halfling box for Blood Bowl, but I don't love having clones in my team, so I've tried to fiddle around with some of them to add some uniqueness to the team.

As a major bonus, Treemen! And Take Root Tokens! Kurnoth Hunters are wonderful, but their legs especially are too agile looking, so I wanted to tree them up a bit more and make them look a little more clumsy in the process. And I thought it'd be a laugh if they just became trees when they failed their Take Root roll.

gkml3w0gdh6q.jpg
    021cvrqdd0u6.jpg
    6688o8bxmcmz.jpg
    dnc46fx0lbfe.jpg

Having a lot of trouble deciding what to dry brush on my gold models. I bought the gold dry brush paints to potentially use those but I'm not sure.

I've hit a road block and I'm troubled by it.

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    So I got the Blood Angels Praetor from forge world, slapped on a storm shield and a Jetpack I got from shapeways and painted me a up a death company captain (gonna run him with a relic blade and use him as a character killer)

ExM9teIh.jpg
    l8ufNOwh.jpg
    wNndbxNh.jpg
    9KOUXm6h.jpg
    TqlpxVEh.jpg
    img]mThZJOah.jpg

TheGerbil on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Spooky boys ready for Warcry.

nTaKsEol.jpg?1

Keeping the painting pretty simple as I have a whole AoS army to scale it up to.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    More domes for the dome lords!
    retromarines_redemptor_wip01.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    Purple
    almost needs a little sister leading it around

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    More domes for the dome lords!
    retromarines_redemptor_wip01.jpg

I assume this is a redemptor dread with a dome head instead of coffin face?

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, its just the stock Redemptor kit with a Kharadron balloon for a face. The only thing else I did was round out some of the armour edges and ditch the dumb fist-minigun in favour of a palm mounted one.
    I'm going to try and make it moddable as a Leviathan and Deredeo as well, because those seem like pretty easy magnetization for when I'm feeling dirty.

website_header.jpg
    I've decided to dry brush golden gryphon onto the castellan and helverins, I think it should be bright enough.

Then I'll need to figure out the silver highlights.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    I'm going to try and make it moddable as a Leviathan and Deredeo as well, because those seem like pretty easy magnetization for when I'm feeling dirty.

A Redemptor with Leviathan arms looks pretty tasty. It makes the model look way less "beer bellied" than it normally does.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Purple
    Hey guys, as befits the thread theme I'm trying to get a better grip on painting purple;
    WorSOAY.jpg
    NdikUqM.jpg

In particular, I'm struggling a bit to figure out the best way to highlight it. I've been trying to use lighter purples and pink-purple colours, but it still winds up seeming a bit flat. Is mixing purple with something like a light grey or flesh colour going to give a better result?

Edit: The base purple is actually light enough that there's a part of me straight up considering using white as a highlight.

Burnage on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    That particular shade of lavender might work better with a pastel orange or very pale yellow edge highlight and a shade of blue ink airbrushed into the recesses.
    Of course that’s based on your photo whic looks like it was taken under incandescent light so it may be skewing yellow.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Purple
    The Warcry bug bit me and now I’ve got 10 Sisters of Slaughter assembled with a Gorgai planned for my leader, and I’m thinking of color schemes. Since the snek lady is going to be my leader/centerpiece, any good snek color recommendations? I’m not opposed to the default purplish grey color, but I think the emerald green with red armor is more striking. Any other combinations I should try? I like how these models play into Greek mythology, and that makes me want to try a dark bronze for their armor and weapons, and I’m not sure what that goes with.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    The Warcry bug bit me and now I’ve got 10 Sisters of Slaughter assembled with a Gorgai planned for my leader, and I’m thinking of color schemes. Since the snek lady is going to be my leader/centerpiece, any good snek color recommendations? I’m not opposed to the default purplish grey color, but I think the emerald green with red armor is more striking. Any other combinations I should try? I like how these models play into Greek mythology, and that makes me want to try a dark bronze for their armor and weapons, and I’m not sure what that goes with.

Personally when I get to my Melusai I plan on doing a snake pattern but what?
    Copperhead look easy
    si1tsfgrud8t.png
    Horned nose viper
    txa2kf7t8z2b.png

But in the DoK book there was other looks/covens just that book is buried at the moment

Purple
    If I’m going to paint a snek lady, she’s going to be styling like a Lady Gaga video. No drab browns and tans for me.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    If I’m going to paint a snek lady, she’s going to be styling like a Lady Gaga video. No drab browns and tans for me.

I kind of want a redish color but rhino vipers could be neat
    7a0j51ljnq6i.png
    k79ss9edtbad.png

Got them grass tufts finally.

drjd7erpm6tf.jpeg

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Even with a minimal effort drybrush job from a hack like me, the Warcry terrain looks so cool.

I love the big giant head.

DjZuBdil.jpg

mOWZN26l.jpg

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Purple
    So here was my go at an Iron Golems paint scheme, overall I really like it. I could work on making the skin and armor colors a bit smoother/more uniform (which would be helped by an extra layer and adding in a bit of water/medium so it applies better, and also not getting paint all over the skin so I have to fix it repeatedly) but overall I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.

IFXeZ5wl.png

KFhPv3nl.png

2NkfACxl.png

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I know to steal a good idea when I hear of one

gy71pfsk6b9i.jpg

adqv4hyjzsjq.jpg

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    Having recently discovered the joy that is airbrushed opaque white ink, I have a question.

Can you brush on acrylic inks or do they go all weird?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Purple
    Also with airbrushing paint questions, are there any good substitutes for Wraithbone or Grey Seer? Average temperature and humidity over here is in the high 80s, and that’s in the mornings. I don’t think I’ll be able to do any rattlecan priming until October.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    Purple
    I've been basecoating with Vallejo grey surface primer and had colors come out somewhere between what the examples for wraithbone and grey seer look like.

It's not as warm as wraithbone and it's not as purple/blue tinted as grey seer, but I've like how contrast looks over top of it.

It's also not as bad a pain in the ass to prime with as Vallejo white surface primer.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Purple
    Also, contrast still does it's contrasty viscosity thing with Vallejo surface primer, so no worries there.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Could you not use the contrast primers from their respective little touch-up pots loaded into an airbrush?

Purple
    Those are basepaints in the pots I think, so you'd still need to prime before applying them. But if you're set on those colors then I don't see why not.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
This discussion has been closed.