As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bag searches and metal detectors questions

SweetCosmicPopeSweetCosmicPope Just Some DudeLake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
Don't get me wrong, I'm not against this at all, especially with all the craziness that's been going on lately, but I'm legitimately curious how doing bag checks and metal detectors is going to work logistically. In the past, we've been able to come and go throughout the day in order to go to the satellite buildings, have a smoke, or eat lunch without too much pain.

Now with this system it seems inevitable that every time you leave the building you're going to get stuck waiting in line to get back in, eating into your time on the floor.

This thought leaves me somewhat disinclined to visit anywhere but the convention center so I don't waste most of my day standing in line to get back in.

I believe these have been implemented at other PAX locations recently. How has this been handled at those?

• LuthyrMagnusLuthyrMagnus Registered User regular
    They implemented the metal detectors at ECCC this year... and while I do not stand in line to hit the floor right at open (usually stroll in about 15 minutes after doors), I would say the delay was minimal, and definitely only a very minor impact on the time to enter. They were fast, professional, and moved the lines quickly.

The remote sites were protected in less obvious ways (specifically the Hyatt Regency), which as a new hotel, I suspect has built in security measures that are intended to be hidden (actually that was the exact sentiment provided by ReedPop at the ECCC recap panel at the end of the event).

If they do the same thing for PAX, the main queue to get in will be on the street (literally the street, not the sidewalk) between WSCC and the Sheraton. Main entrance will be on the back side of the WSCC with secondary entrances for people with mobility issues. Exiting will be primarily through the Front of WSCC. At some point them may open the front entrances up for entry as well, but that was done only as the flow allowed it. The back entrance has something like 8 double doors and they had between 12 and 18 detectors at that entrance and then another 6 - 8 at the mobility entrance. All in all I would say a minor impact at most.

• midnamidna Greater Seattle AreaRegistered User regular
    PAX also does this at East, so I'm sure they have some knowledge about how to set this up so it's fast.

5q5sdsqaqnv0.png

[ ] Badges [ ] time off [ ] cosplay

• MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    midna wrote: »
    PAX also does this at East, so I'm sure they have some knowledge about how to set this up so it's fast.

It's anything but fast at East. If you show up to East at 9:30 with a bag, you'll be lucky to get inside in an hour. This year, Friday and Saturday were hellscapes.

I'm all for more security. But, y'all who haven't been to East better prepare accordingly.

• ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    If they do the same thing for PAX, the main queue to get in will be on the street (literally the street, not the sidewalk) between WSCC and the Sheraton. Main entrance will be on the back side of the WSCC with secondary entrances for people with mobility issues. Exiting will be primarily through the Front of WSCC. At some point them may open the front entrances up for entry as well, but that was done only as the flow allowed it. The back entrance has something like 8 double doors and they had between 12 and 18 detectors at that entrance and then another 6 - 8 at the mobility entrance. All in all I would say a minor impact at most.

I don't think they can do this. AFAIK ReedPop (aka PAX) does not "own" the entire WSCC for the weekend. The public is allowed to enter and use the building all the way up to and including the floor the expo hall is on just not past the badge check areas. There are lots of shops that would (potentially) lose business if you kept the public out. That said it's just a guess on my part and it would be great if it was feasible to bag check at the WSCC entryway since there are a lot of alternate ways to gain entrance to the expo floor once inside. Not to mention people like to exit the expo hall over by subway and enter by the info booth and vice versa to bypass walking the expo floor to get to the other side/pax store/etc. I'm sure we will hear more as the time gets closer.

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• thx42thx42 SeattleRegistered User regular
    The entire WSCC and Annex was secured for ECCC. There were security checks in the back of the WSCC, by the tunnel, and at the annex entrance. The front doors of the WSCc were exit only.
    ElmoFuntz wrote: »

I don't think they can do this. AFAIK ReedPop (aka PAX) does not "own" the entire WSCC for the weekend. The public is allowed to enter and use the building all the way up to and including the floor the expo hall is on just not past the badge check areas. There are lots of shops that would (potentially) lose business if you kept the public out. That said it's just a guess on my part and it would be great if it was feasible to bag check at the WSCC entryway since there are a lot of alternate ways to gain entrance to the expo floor once inside. Not to mention people like to exit the expo hall over by subway and enter by the info booth and vice versa to bypass walking the expo floor to get to the other side/pax store/etc. I'm sure we will hear more as the time gets closer.

edited August 2019
    Interesting. Too bad it means an extra walk to get around back every time you enter if that's how they do it. Also dealing with the crazy traffic in the tunnel unless they close it down. Sad it's had to come to this craziness.

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Interesting. Too bad it means an extra walk to get around back every time you enter if that's how they do it. Also dealing with the crazy traffic in the tunnel unless they close it down. Sad it's had to come to this craziness.

I suspect the public can still enter the same areas as before, it’s just they will have to go through the security check as well.
    Edit: scratch that, their news post just confirmed you will need a badge to enter any part of the convention center this year.

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
  • BLaZuREBLaZuRE Registered User regular
    I live in Las Vegas and we have conventions that serve 10s of thousands of people. The detectors they use here seem enterprise-level that allow a normal crowd flow through them. A different type of detector than what you think of at a TSA line. I hope they use the same system for PAX West. Bulky bags and cosplay items might get flagged during entry. Don't take anything out of the ordinary.

If anything, it's just a minor holdup for the amount of time you were going to take in the next line anyway.

PAX West 2017 Checklist:
    [X] Order Badges [X] Hotel [ X ] Flight [ X ] Time Off [ X ] Bobcat [ . ] Office Set [ . ] Challenge Coin [ . ] Sanity

yQb8WN6.png
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

Curious on this part:
    . The Annex entrance will be used as well, but only open after the expo hall opens at 9:30am. All other venues open at 10:00am.

I assume BYOC is still in the Annex this year, and that early set up will still be available through that entrance prior to 930 on Friday? I guess eventually that’ll go out in the BYOC details. But in general fucking around with the Annex entrance concerns me.

• IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    FYI for folks that need to pick up badges, they have moved it to the Sheraton ballroom now.

I'm happy with that change. The old will call spot was kind of a pain.

I am wondering what this will do to BYOC. Will computers be required to be opened and inspected?

vn6ID15.png

• hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    I am wondering what this will do to BYOC. Will computers be required to be opened and inspected?

I have never had my computer inspected at the other PAXes, it's more of a general search and the security people have always been extremely accommodating.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • WishwiseWishwise Registered User new member

From the PAX subreddit:
    "So, what is BYOC suppose to do?"
    OFFICIAL PAX: "You'll be contacted separately for BYOC load in instructions."

• zwitterionzwitterion Registered User regular
    FYI for folks that need to pick up badges, they have moved it to the Sheraton ballroom now.

I'm happy with that change. The old will call spot was kind of a pain.

Hopefully this extends the hours on Thursday. I always have to pick up early Friday

Still no mention on Atrium entrance :/

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    I'm less worried about getting into the WSCC, if only because trying to get in right at opening is always a hellscape if you're not in line by some obnoxiously early hour.

More curious how this is gonna work at the satellite theaters, seeing as I doubt the hotels around the area are psyched about non-PAXfolk wandering into the convention halls and potentially having to get checked.

[IMG][/img]
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    I'm less worried about getting into the WSCC, if only because trying to get in right at opening is always a hellscape if you're not in line by some obnoxiously early hour.

More curious how this is gonna work at the satellite theaters, seeing as I doubt the hotels around the area are psyched about non-PAXfolk wandering into the convention halls and potentially having to get checked.

WSCC is the only place that will have the security screenings.

IhtGIyi.png
  • DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Other than having to walk around to the back doors, I didn't really have any trouble with the detectors and bag search at ECCC. I don't know if they'll do this for PAX, but I believe they started screening people and moving the queue into the building before well before they opened the doors to the main floor. (I can't be sure, I spent most mornings in the celeb area.)

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular

You cannot enter PAX from Freeway Park, but the park itself will be considered PAX space, so you can go in and out as you please from the atrium after you've gone through security.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »

You cannot enter PAX from Freeway Park, but the park itself will be considered PAX space, so you can go in and out as you please from the atrium after you've gone through security.

Been wondering about this, thanks!

[IMG][/img]
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Marino wrote: »
    midna wrote: »

It's anything but fast at East. If you show up to East at 9:30 with a bag, you'll be lucky to get inside in an hour. This year, Friday and Saturday were hellscapes.

I'm all for more security. But, y'all who haven't been to East better prepare accordingly.

Yeah, I went to East for the first time this year and was frustrated by feeling essentially being "trapped" in the convention center, tempered somewhat by the fact at East there's not much else around there and all the show content is in the convention center anyway. Nonetheless, I would arrive 30-60 minutes after show open and still have to wait in line at security for 30-45 minutes.

Hopefully the distribution of venues for West will help even out the load (for instance, usually don't try to get into the WSCC until after lunch on Friday anyway).

ASimPerson on
  • SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Oh crap, everyone wanting in early will be on the main entrance. I've lined up way more often on the Annex side, bye bye backdoor :/

Used to line up at 8am but will now do 7:30am for Fri and Sat.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • forbiddenvoidforbiddenvoid Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think that all of this just means I'm going to continue not queueing up in the morning beforehand. Probably start off every day in a different, non-WSCC venue and drift over after the line dies down.

ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.
  • MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I haven't done any kind of early morning queue room nonsense since maybe 2013. I'm too old for that shit.

My friends and I will likely be chillin' at Top Pot or somewhere until about 10:30 am.

Y'all have fun with that cluster. ;)

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I usually go in and wait in the 2nd floor lounge until the lines die down and staff starts letting people fill in from the sides. I'm not sure if that will be possible anymore with the new security, so maybe I'll be inventing a new morning tradition for myself.

YoungFrey on
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    I usually go in and wait in the 2nd floor lounge until the lines die down and staff starts letting people fill in from the sides. I'm not sure if that will be possible anymore with the new security, so maybe I'll be inventing a new morning tradition for myself.

It will not. Security will be located at the rear entrances in the tunnel before entry into WSCC according to the information posted on the main website. The front "entrances" will be exits only.

vn6ID15.png

• The PopeThe Pope Registered User regular
    They do this at South, the lines in the morning are pretty long, takes about 15 minutes to get through. Later in the day the delay is minimal, but South doesn't have the kind of traffic Prime does.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
    -- Vroomfondel
  • SweetCosmicPopeSweetCosmicPope Just Some Dude Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    My wife and I have kind of figured that instead of getting up there super early, which we usually do, that since they've changed the time, we'll get there around 9ish, go have some breakfast at Lost Lake, and then walk over after the initial rush has gotten in. There's no AAA games I'm trying to rush out and play this year anyway.

9 would be unwise to get to WSCC if you are trying to avoid the lines. The doors open at 9:30.

vn6ID15.png

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    The breakfast would be consuming the line time. Waiting until after ten when hopefully the initial rush is done.

If it's a similar process to the sports games around here though, it'll go pretty quick

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Going through screening at the Main Theater did not feel as haphazard as the security theater stuff at East. Dude actually looked under a folded rain jacket I had in my bag.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    Arrived at main entry in the afternoon and it was still clogged. Security for Paramount was fairly quick to get through but the seating is stutter stopping.

• Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    I'm hearing stories that the lines for today are even worse than yesterday.

If there's one silver lining, the restaurants in the convention center are making a killing off of people that don't want to deal with going back through security for lunch.

• cbelleviecbellevie Registered User regular
    9 would be unwise to get to WSCC if you are trying to avoid the lines. The doors open at 9:30.

We headed for the line at 9:25, zero line outside and walked right in to the bag check, only 3 people in front of me for that. It went fast enough that we even had to wait a couple minutes before they opened and the crowd started to move, but we were at the Limited Run Games booth by 9:40. I've been to PAX seven years and this was the fastest I've ever gotten instead. It was awesome.

• PavioPavio Registered User regular
    I thought this was the fastest too, I didn't have any issues with lines even getting back in in the afternoon.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
    After the first morning, the line situation was totally fine.

• Captain Ironsides Captain Ironsides Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was pretty irritated by it on Friday, but it got a lot better the rest of the weekend. My only issue really was overheating and sweating without being able to use my portable fan while going through security.

zpv0bcg8hta5.jpg
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Gearbox Panel in the main theater was kind of a mess compared to Story Time due to not letting the line filter through security earlier. However, that got rectified for the evening Acquisitions Inc. game.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png