As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dogs and Cats living together in the [Snugglehug] Thread (Nsf56k)

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    This may be a bit old-fashioned/sexist to suggest, but usually the bride (or the bride's family) will want the expensive wedding, while the groom is just making their fiancee happy.

This is one of those things that is extraordinarily variable. Some people want a big party with all of their family and friends. Some people want a small event. Some people don't want to make a big deal out of it. None of these things are bad options.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    This may be a bit old-fashioned/sexist to suggest, but usually the bride (or the bride's family) will want the expensive wedding, while the groom is just making their fiancee happy. Sometimes the groom is also up for the expensive wedding (usually means expensive/more gifts from your wedding guests, especially if there's a pre-registry).

I've been to plenty of weddings where it was very traditional with 50+ guests, friends and family, very formal, renting out a venue, easily an upper 5-figure wedding, and then I've been to some where it was "Married at City Hall, witness, sign the paper, let's go do an Escape room and play some VR Arcade games" and cost less than $500 all combined, including the marriage license fee.

I don't think it's old fashioned to suggest, but it's definitely a symptom of old fashioned society. The wedding industry is pervasive and vicious, and they put an extreme amount of pressure on women in particular to look perfect and be treated like a perfect princess.

A lot of folks see a wedding as your one and only chance in life to show the world how fancy and classy and beautiful you really are, and the industry has taught them to think that money is no object in pursuit of that goal. The average wedding in Canada costs over $30,000.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Strikor and I got married in the courthouse, which I think cost $100. We then ate Taco Cabana. No family can get pouty they weren't invited because NO ONE was invited. Best wedding ever.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Man, it's been a grip since I had Taco Cabana...

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I like the idea of getting into formalwear for a wedding (I don't get to feel like a fancy MF often enough) but then I think about two recent weddings I attended where that was the dress code because it was a $10K+ wedding event.

Twice. Two different couples. They're divorced now. Hope it was worth it? Not sure if either one will ever get married again because it really is a major expense. My best friend who thankfully is still married, paid for his wedding on two different credit cards, and it took 3 years to get them back in balance.
    To put things back on topic for snugglehugs though, here's my cat Vivi being a total derp monster.
    dh4ckltwesb9.jpgbocuc2wmnmzh.jpg4r4cc64ofo33.jpg

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular

"If we increase the size of the penguin until it is the same height as the man and then compare the relative brain sizes, we now find that the penguin's brain is still smaller. But, and this is the point, it is larger than it was."

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    oceania: we basically got journey to the center of the earth level stuff here.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

"If we increase the size of the penguin until it is the same height as the man and then compare the relative brain sizes, we now find that the penguin's brain is still smaller. But, and this is the point, it is larger than it was."

Bigger than before!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I know it’s a Chicago accent not a Boston one but that video reminds me of the snl skit mark walberg talks to animals
    https://youtu.be/ZjpUfdjYR6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYcHxF_cO8o

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Have we finally found Tube's secret lair?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Have we finally found Tube's secret lair?

Oh so THAT'S why he's called Tube.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Bit of an emotional rollercoaster at the shelter I volunteer at today.

At the shelter, there was a cat named Dom. He might have originally been before my time, or he might have been from a part of the shelter I seldom work. Anyway, Dom turned back up a couple weeks ago in one of the rooms I do normally clean, because his person had to go to the hospital and her family refused to take him. (The shelter has a policy--they only take surrendered cats if they come from the shelter originally.)

Today I went in and saw that Dom wasn't there. I was very happy; I assumed that Dom's human was better and had come to pick him up. But then I saw on the sheet he was instead at a special event the shelter does at the nearby mall every year around this time, as the bulk of kittens born earlier in the year (though they don't just showcase kittens there) are ready for adoption. So now I have to assume that either Dom's owner passed, or she's decided she's not going to be able to come out of the hospital again or, if she does, she's not going to be able to take care of a cat anymore.

However, I saw an update just a few minutes ago on the website saying that Dom was adopted at the show. So there's that.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I hope Dom found his fambily

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Oh, gross. Who puts corn on cat pizza?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular

megafauna is the best. I still want to see a cool recreation of that giant sloth (elephant-sized!)

also check out this squad

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    That man is not going to get his schoolwork done. Or whatever it is he's writing.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    My brother and his wife's wedding was

Let's not have a wedding.

Let's take all of the money we might've spent on the wedding and put it into an extended honeymoon where we travel a bunch.

Which seems pretty good. And it was good for me because I didn't have to travel to go to a wedding.

Our wedding was a surprise potluck. As in nobody knew we were getting married (or even that we were engaged), we just threw a party and halfway through a celebrant came out.

We threw it while my parents were visiting but none of the rest of my family.

My brother still holds a massive grudge about it 5 years later.

Honestly, I can kind of get that. If my sister hadn't wanted to do a wedding, that would've been fine, but if she'd set things up so my parents and other folks were there and not me, I'd probably spend a looooong time wondering what I'd done wrong.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »

Let's take all of the money we might've spent on the wedding and put it into an extended honeymoon where we travel a bunch.

Which seems pretty good. And it was good for me because I didn't have to travel to go to a wedding.

Our wedding was a surprise potluck. As in nobody knew we were getting married (or even that we were engaged), we just threw a party and halfway through a celebrant came out.

Honestly, I can kind of get that. If my sister hadn't wanted to do a wedding, that would've been fine, but if she'd set things up so my parents and other folks were there and not me, I'd probably spend a looooong time wondering what I'd done wrong.

He and his wife and three children live in Australia. I live in Canada. Regardless of what we did we would have upset some people.

I didn't want my brother to be obligated to spend literally $10,000 bringing his family overseas to be at my wedding, and we didn't want to obligate my wife's family to do the trip in the other direction.

Further-more, we went to Australia less than a year later and threw another big party where we got married again, this time for all of my family and friends who lived there. It was literally the same thing only we didn't sign any documents.

My brother refused to come.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Scooter wrote: »

He and his wife and three children live in Australia. I live in Canada. Regardless of what we did we would have upset some people.

I didn't want my brother to be obligated to spend literally $10,000 bringing his family overseas to be at my wedding, and we didn't want to obligate my wife's family to do the trip in the other direction.

Further-more, we went to Australia less than a year later and threw another big party where we got married again, this time for all of my family and friends who lived there. It was literally the same thing only we didn't sign any documents.

My brother refused to come.

Well that is just being unreasonable.

My GF and I decided when we get married to just have a court room ceremony and then throw 2 separate parties for our families. They live so far apart it seems unwieldy otherwise

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Sharing is caring:

Bedlam on
  • Options

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Good lord, that's a handsome cat.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I don't know that I've actually seen a cat with white whiskers before.
    Very pretty kitty.

• Options
    Pretty sure most cats Ive seen have white whiskers. Theres just more contrast due to the blackness of its face.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I've never seen a cat with non-white whiskers yeah

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

You're spending too much time on your fucking phone, Gary. -Birb, probably.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    This is a corvid's idea of "share the fries"

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    My cat has a mix of white whiskers and black whiskers. Some start black and transition to white

• Options
    edited August 2019
    @Al_wat

*pounds desk with fist*

THIS THREAD DEMANDS EVIDENCE!!!

Sound on for this one:

Bedlam on
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    my black cat had black whiskers 'til she got old, and now they're white

my tortie has tortie-colored whiskers, though it's hard to tell, and mostly black with 2 white whiskers and some short pale ones

and the apricot/buff tabby (my strawberry blonde cat) has mostly white whiskers with a sprinkling of black

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    "Hey...Hows it goin?"

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    My cat has a mix of white whiskers and black whiskers. Some start black and transition to white

scout does too

it weirded me out at first

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Pretty sure most cats Ive seen have white whiskers. Theres just more contrast due to the blackness of its face.

Hmmm, yeah that checks out.
    It's probably just becuase my cat's whiskers are a very glossy black and I applied that to all others.

This discussion has been closed.