As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: Armada] Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design.

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    The split hammerhead reminds me a lot of the Midway from Wing Commander Prophecy.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    God the SSD is big. The box is a solid, proper box, but the inside is still your traditional plastic shell. There is a thin cardboard starfield to hide the game components.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I think someone at FFG has a thing for assertive ladies with laser eyes ...

swm32_kyrsta-agate.pngswm33_commander-beck.png
    But really, I mean, who doesn't?

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I still feel like an asshole for flaking on the attempted game of Armada, but I'm back.

I've always wanted to do a co-op campaign with Armada similar to Heroes of the Aturi Cluster, but knew I'd have to smoosh together different tools and ideas to accomplish it. The Corellian Conflict and Rebellion in the Rim campaigns have some good ideas and uses, but their focus still isn't exactly what I'm going for. Then Crabbok posted his Armada AI system.

So smooshing together the AI system with the persistent play rules in the campaign expansions, how does this sound?

- Players pick a faction.
    - Each player starts with 60pts to buy a ship and upgrades. No unique squadrons yet, and players may only buy as many squadrons as their ship's Squadron value.
    - One player picks a Commander card and they have the flagship, the rest pick an Officer - these don't cost extra points, and represent the player characters. People can rename their Commanders/Officers for more roleplaying, and use cards from either faction?
    - The fleet shares points for requisition of squadrons and ships. Players may sell upgrades and ships to help with the cost. After the first game there isn't a limit on ship size or squadrons.
    - The campaign proceeds similarly to how the Corellian Conflict is laid out, except there are as many systems as there are enemy Commanders.
    - Commanders, Objectives, and Obstacles are randomly selected for each system beforehand.
    - At some point after the first few sessions I'd like to include an enemy fleet pursuit indicator inspired by FTL. This fleet would be a max point based on number of players - so it would be deadly early game and manageable by the end of the campaign.

Edit: Forgot that I'd also probably disregard the total squadron cap/limit in general for players that want to play/theme their persistent fleet in a different way. Player groups would want to discuss this considering the time it might add to games.

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    @Fuselage

Yes.

@Elvenshae
    Thank you! What do you think of either faction hiring generic Rogue/Villain squadrons from the opposite faction, at an upcharge or not, to simulate hiring mercenaries and whatnot? Both sides did it, it might be cool to make it happen.

Same with enemy ships, but different reasons, like Rebels stealing a Quasar or Raider.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    Fuselage wrote: »
    @Elvenshae
    Thank you! What do you think of either faction hiring generic Rogue/Villain squadrons from the opposite faction, at an upcharge or not, to simulate hiring mercenaries and whatnot? Both sides did it, it might be cool to make it happen.

Same with enemy ships, but different reasons, like Rebels stealing a Quasar or Raider.

I think that's probably a good usage for the "Scum and Villainy" faction - basically, translate what the Scum have in X-Wing into Armada. So you could hire Scum Y-wing, but not Scum TIE/Ds.

Might be interesting if they were specific mercenary units ... Like the Blastar Pirates are a unit of 2 Headhunter squadrons and a Corvette. Cost should be cheaper up-front than just buying your units normally, but higher ongoing maintenance. Maybe?

• TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    The SSD is so absurdly large. I have no clue where to put it in my apartment. It deserves a spot on the mantle above the fireplace, yet I have neither to give it.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    TheColonel wrote: »
    The SSD is so absurdly large. I have no clue where to put it in my apartment. It deserves a spot on the mantle above the fireplace, yet I have neither to give it.

Oh shit is this out now?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    TheColonel wrote: »

Oh shit is this out now?

It is indeed. Cheapest price I've seen for it is at Miniature Market, who have it for $10 less than Coolstuffinc.

I just checked, mine should get in Thursday! Then I can take a picture of my fleets battling each other sans fighters since those are with a high school kid for painting.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    edited August 2019
    https://imgur.com/a/n5utyNw

Edit: Since all the ships are out, here's an example of what beginner co-op fleets might look like, just to keep my hype going.
    QKPTeVJ.jpg
    5QDwPks.jpg

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    I need to stop replying to my own replies, but I wanted to share the good news.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    My friend bought an SSD. It is stupid huge.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I need to stop replying to my own replies, but I wanted to share the good news.

Oh man I'm so jealous.
    My friend bought an SSD. It is stupid huge.

Yes, but did you hug it?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Part of me really wants a second SSD.

I haven't actually played Armada in years, but the model is so fucking gorgeous, I kind of want one for work and for home.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Athenor wrote: »

I haven't actually played Armada in years, but the model is so fucking gorgeous, I kind of want one for work and for home.

You could always get a formation of Starhawks to fight your existing SSD.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png

... I may have considered this too... :)

(Then again I'm a horrible example for fiscal responsibility. See the SE++ gunpla thread and D&D Lego thread for examples.)

... I may have considered this too... :)

(Then again I'm a horrible example for fiscal responsibility. See the SE++ gunpla thread and D&D Lego thread for examples.)

Trust me, you're in good company.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png

I'd love to have one. But alas, I don't have the room for it. Even hanging... So I'm just sitting here, waiting for a PA member to take a photo of theirs.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Shit, did I not do that?

Damnit, give me a few.

edited August 2019
    I have every X-wing and Armada model, so let me know if there's something specific you want a comparison with.

Unfortunately my camera sucks.

yA04Nfmh.jpg

fygVIMAh.jpg

RiTGU2fh.jpg

UXq6GhRh.jpg

RsbyC6Eh.jpg

UQK1yVGh.jpg

1Z4Y7W0h.jpg

dPhNskyh.jpg

Athenor on
    I've considered getting the talker 3d printed stands from Mel's Miniatures so the SSD has more room under it for threatening smaller vessels. Maybe it would bump less with ISDs...

I still haven't played it, though, so I'll wait on that.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea that was the fix I needed. God it's beautiful.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    I have every X-wing and Armada model, so let me know if there's something specific you want a comparison with.

Unfortunately my camera sucks.

yA04Nfmh.jpg

fygVIMAh.jpg

RiTGU2fh.jpg

UXq6GhRh.jpg

RsbyC6Eh.jpg

UQK1yVGh.jpg

1Z4Y7W0h.jpg

dPhNskyh.jpg

Seriously thank you for the photos. I can figure out the size of the ship compared to the ISD at least. It. Is. So. Beautiful. Yeah I'd have to clear a ton of room just to display it. But man that thing is so awesome.

Thank you for the photos and the ability to live vicariously through you.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Alright, fuck it, I'm gonna try to do a true armada shot. pray for me.

edited August 2019
    That... only took an hour, and I'm only missing one base! And it can't be that far, given which model it is.

... No way in fuck was I pulling out all my fighter squadrons.

Edit: Correction, 2 bases. So I'm not displaying another Home One or a second VSD.

AL5avvnh.jpg

77uvDCCh.jpg

CUH3Oeyh.jpg

CKHpztrh.jpg

cCn0Qmkh.jpg?1

STVAZTXh.jpg

YdL1KZZh.jpg

hU2N4Zvh.jpg

Athenor on
    That is an impressive fleet. Thanks for the photos.

oosik_betsuni.png
    It's beautiful! My squadrons normally stay on the shelves with the ships. Maybe you could drill little holes into your SSD and mount fighters and freighters all over it.

I mean, that sounds insane in hindsight, but you could!

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    Goddamnit!

I just realized that I am missing the TIE carrier ship or whatever in that shot. I knew the Imperial side seemed smaller in overall count than I was expecting!

I've already started putting away things, though.

AND my Hammerheads! I figured out what happened though, they were all in a general "Dumping ground" box that had a bunch of X-wing stuff on top, so I missed them.

To make up for my failure, the Hammerheads decided they wanted to punch above their weight class.

QaF7Jyeh.jpg

ShKpCtuh.jpg

JzCTVSmh.jpg

edited August 2019
    Hey, I'd put money on Hammerheads against a lone Quasar all day. The others? Not so much.

Once I get my fighters back from painting i should include my 3d printed space stations from Etsy in the shot.

Edit: Whoa.

bt2rgix6t9h31.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsArmada/comments/cs6ye7/ssd_eclipse_model_for_armada/

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    Oh my. That is amazing. There's no way FFG would sell anything that stupid big, but I do hope they find a good canonical "rebel" ship somewhere.

Also, I really like the trays in that dude's etsy store. I kinda wish the CAD was available for printing though, as I have a friend up for printing that kind of thing pretty much on demand.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Oh my. That is amazing. There's no way FFG would sell anything that stupid big, but I do hope they find a good canonical "rebel" ship somewhere.

Also, I really like the trays in that dude's etsy store. I kinda wish the CAD was available for printing though, as I have a friend up for printing that kind of thing pretty much on demand.

I'll take "Things I said about the SSD" for 200, Alex.

see317 wrote: »

I'll take "Things I said about the SSD" for 200, Alex.

True, but that 3D print has a ton more surface area. And either it's incredibly hollow, or it has a ton of internal struts that would make it even more expensive to produce.

That said... anything's possible, I guess..

Yeah there are a lot of 3D stuff I wish the models were shared to print your own. I need to go and see if the stands models are out there to print my own.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Someone on Etsy, MelsMinatures, has Armada ships that are scaled to the Super Star Destroyer. They are VERY tiny.

They also have Armada ships that are scaled to an ISD so you have two choices if you want correctly scaled Armada games.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

... how did we miss this?

There's a new Campaign expansion coming out for Armada, called Rebellion in the Rim! One of the tricks is that you get to create a custom commander.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-armada/products/rebellion-rim/

Hell. Yes.

Has anyone picked up Rebellion in the Rim yet? I'll eventually add it to the collection, though I never did anything with Corellian Conflict other than add the cards to my binder. Every few weeks or months I want to crack the nut of co-op RPG elements.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png