As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Recruitment, Play by Post] Alien RPG

NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
In Space, No One Can Hear You Scream.

Alien_medium.JPG

The Alien RPG is an in progress official RPG set in the Alien Universe, Set shortly after the events of the film Aliens this is a galaxy where life is dangerous and cheap, where space is always ready to kill you and your employer might just decide they can make an extra dollar by helping it along.

While the game is not out yet, they have released the game yet they have provided those of us who preordered have been given a scenario complete with pre-generated characters.

The System I’m not going to get into too much detail about the system of the game, but it is one that will probably be familiar to some of you. Based on the same system Free League used for Mutant: Year Zero, Forbidden Lands, Coriolis, and Tales From the Loop. When you need to roll, you’ll make a dice pool of d6 based on your stat, skill, and any equipment or circumstance bonuses, minus any difficulties. At least one 6 is a basic success, more 6s are better.

There is a twist however, in the form of Stress Dice. You gain stress dice by being put into stressful situations, and by voluntarily rerolling skill tests. Stress dice are rolled with your dice pool and provide successes when you roll a six. Unfortunately, when you roll a one with a stress die it can cause you to risk having a panic attack or otherwise giving in to your stress.

Other rules will be explained as they come up, but the rules are fairly simple.

Player Death.
Game over man! Game over!
It’s unlikely that all of you will make it to the end without losing a character. If you do there will be opportunities to get control of a new character. That said it will be possible to survive if you are lucky and play your cards right. Combat is dangerous and characters can die quickly, but you can always try to solve your problems with stealth and your wits.

Characters. There are five pregens, the crew of the short haul cargo ship the Montero. they come with included backstory but you can decide on the name and details of the character.
Captain Miller: You’ve been working for the Company for decades now, and you are tired of it. You’ve been saving up to eventually pay a downpayment on your own ship, and W-Y has offered you a lease to buy option on the Montero, but you are still short the cash.
Pilot Davis: A damn good pilot, but a risk taker. You’ve been fired from a number of jobs because of your habit of taking the faster, more dangerous route. That said you’ve never actually gotten into an accident, or at least not one you could walk away from.
Rye, Roughneck. You’re the youngest, worst paid, most overworked member of the crew. You work as a cargo handler on the ship as well as serving as the communications tech, but you don’t get respected for it. Meanwhile, you're brother is back on Earth sick with cancer and the insurance bills keep piling up. Everytime you hear from your parents they ask if you can send more money this month.
Cham, Roughneck. You were born out here on the Frontier, it’s your home and you like it. You’ve always been the biggest in class growing up, but you were never a bully. Out here, you learn the value of virtues like loyalty, you may not know everyone else on the ship but they are your crew, which means you stand up for them. You work as a cargo handler and the heavy maintenance technician on the ship.
Wilson, the Company Agent. You grew up on in a Weyland-Yutani family, went to a W-Y high school, went to college with a W-Y school loan, and got an internship and then a job. You’re embedded on the Montero to evaluate the crew’s performance and the ship. It’s your job to represent the company's interests, but that doesn't mean you’re a robot. You have honestly grown to like the ship's crew.

Your characters each will have a hidden agenda, as the scenario progresses to the different acts your agenda will be updated. If you make progress on your agenda during play at risk to themselves you’ll receive a story point, which you can spend after a skill roll to add an automatic success. These agendas may put you into conflict with other players.

If you are interested in playing post here, along with which characters you'd be interested in playing. I'm looking for 3-5 players who can commit to posting fairly actively. I don't need a long post daily from everyone, but I do want to keep the game moving so be sure to check in the thread often.

I can’t lie to you about your chances, but you have my sympathy.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I'm interested. Happy to make room for others though and no preference on character

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Interested, also no specific preference on character (they all seem like they'd be fun for completely different reasons)

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    How long do you suspect the game will go?

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    I'm interested. Happy to make room for others though and no preference on character
    Interested, also no specific preference on character (they all seem like they'd be fun for completely different reasons)

Sounds good. I would want to have at least 3 people to make sure we have the roles covered, the other two characters could be NPCs/ready to go replacements. We'll wait and see if there is more interest.
    JebusUD wrote: »
    How long do you suspect the game will go?

The Scenario is a one shot, the book says it would take 4 hours of in-person play. As for how long that would take in a PBP, it really depends on how active everyone is, it's hard to give an estimate.

Okay, I'll play then. I'd like to be Pilot Davis or Cham, Roughneck.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    Sounds good! I’m going to give it one more day to see if there is anymore interest and then I’ll send you information about your characters and start the IC thread.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Oh, I think I could go ahead and play Wilson, if you like. I'm sure that'll be fine.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Sounds good. If I had to pick 3 characters for you guys to start with it would probably be Wilson, Miller, and Cham for maximum drama.

Either Disc or I can be Miller then. I really don’t have a preference so whatever builds drama is fine by me

Geth roll 1d3 for unfortunate soul

unfortunate soul:
    1d3 2 [1d3=2]

edited August 2019
    Oh good, now I can pretend like I didn't want to go Davis at all really.
    But Geth gives me no choice

I'm sure not having a Communications tech will be no problem whatsoever

discrider on
    I'm down for waiting to see if we can get a couple more. Probably be better with 5.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    We have four already, so would just need one more to hit five.

Maybe we should just start with four..

• CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    I'm in! Guess I'm Rye.

I roll to start the game

My start the game stat is 5 players

Geth roll 5d6

5d6 20 [5d6=4, 5, 4, 5, 2]

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    Looks like I'm Captain Miller then.

Looks like I'm Captain Miller then.

Looks like we got a tough crew here cap. Should be an easy haul. I know the Montero ain't the newest. But who wants to be floatin round out here with nuthin to do anyway?

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    I roll to start the game

Geth roll 5d6

No sixes
    Guess you start with 5 stress dice for trying to start the game.

discrider wrote: »
    I roll to start the game

Geth roll 5d6

No sixes
    Guess you start with 5 stress dice for trying to start the game.

Things are getting intense already.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    If you'll just sign these procurement forms I can issue some non-stress dice from the company stock. I'll just need someone to go investigate that suspicious motion signature while I go and get them.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Hey guys, sorry I haven't posted in a couple days, I'm having PC trouble and having to post on my phone. I'll try to get your character sheets to you tonight or tomorrow.

Listen up. We have a job to do and I expect you all to do your part. If you don’t carry your own load, I’ll ship you out the airlock.

Also, there will be Taco Tuesday coming up so I expect everyone to bring a nice salsa to share

Also, there will be Taco Tuesday coming up so I expect everyone to bring a nice salsa to share

Taco Tuesday is permissible under WY regulations but I'm afraid you're restricted to WY-branded toppings and shells. That's not really anything to worry about - it's the best!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    The floggings will continue until morale improves.

edited August 2019
    See, stuff like that is why I've already routed us past all my favourite dives this side of the galaxy.
    You can't eat out of cardboard boxes the whole trip, gotta get some flavour somewhere.

discrider on
    Auralynx wrote: »

Taco Tuesday is permissible under WY regulations but I'm afraid you're restricted to WY-branded toppings and shells. That's not really anything to worry about - it's the best!

Damn it Wilson....

Auralynx wrote: »

Damn it Wilson....

What? WY pico de gallo is made from only the best vegetables, hydroponically grown in the life support sections of some of our finest space stations. And the groubd beef from the prison camp on Frisia 2 is delightful; those permanent indentures really give their products an authentic local flavor you can't get anywhere else.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Still got to use 5 litres of lard to make the damn things half way edible.
    And we've only got so much lard.

So are we still doing this or... ?

@Neaden

Alien got him.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    Sorry computer wasn't able to get fixed, on my work laptop now and will send out character sheets in a little bit.

Alright everyone, I'll make this simple. Do the job, get paid, everyone is happy. Don't be fancy, don't go off on your own.

We do what we were paid for, nothing more, nothing less.

I'd appreciate if everyone wore their safety equipment this run and followed the procedures. Last time someone disabled the safety on the loader and in a rush took some toes off another crew member. Now that's not a mess im trying to see again. So if you care about your fellow haulers, and you should since no one else will out here, make sure you're watching each others backs.... Or toes.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    Sure.
    We all like a clean fight.
    So no aiming for the opposing pilot, grapples only, and try not to throw the opposing loader across the entire cargo bay.
    You're only attempting to knock them out of the arena, not out of action.

All right, sweethearts, what are you waiting for? Breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in the Corps! Day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal's a banquet. Every paycheck a fortune. Every formation a parade. I love the Corps!
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/229258/ic-alien-rpg-chariot-of-the-gods IC Thread is up. Things are starting off a bit slow, though let's hope MU/TH/UR doesn't have any bad news for the Captain.