As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Daily Show], [Last Week Tonight], & [Comedy News In General]

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/U4f1q41LtUk

What in the holy fuck

I can’t think of a single reason why a married couple would befriend a pool boy, take him with them on their private jet and to their home, and offer to finance their business for more than a million dollars

Outside of the obvious

And that’s before you’re talking about a homophobic religious leader and the fact that the business is an LGBTQ friendly bar

WHAT

Like at best two evangelicals were blackmailed because of their personal sexy pics, which I don’t wish on anyone and nobody deserves, but Christ what a fucking world that somehow this ended up with Michael fucking Cohen

Also when did this happen? This feels like an old clip but it seems to have been uploaded recently

Someone on Sam Bee's staff must read TPM. From a couple months ago.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Tonight's The Check In actually hit directly on the nose for me, as far as proximity to effect goes. My mother and step-father are truckers - and surprise surprise, Trump voters. I never bothered to look into what was going on with all those promises to truckers but Jesus jumped up Christ have they been fucked over. They removed the ability for truckers to claim a lot of expenses, which adds the fuck up. Food, bathing, etc. My folks aren't in great financial status to begin with, and while it's largely my mother's fucking fault because she's a fucking huge idiot (y'all are welcome to say as such even without details), even she doesn't deserved to get screwed over this way. Like my disdain for my family does not override my views on workers' rights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv-bbacVAA0

Jesus, that’s horrible.

Out of curiosity, how is your family coping? Are they realizing they got screwed or doubling down?
    I don't know, I haven't spoken to my mother since her horrible behavior at my grandmother's funeral years ago. If I know her though, she's still going to vote for Trump, particularly because of the treatment of Mexicans. And yes, I have had past conversations with her reminding her that myself and my brother, her sons, are half-Mexican and that maybe she needs to lighten up on the racism. But she wouldn't.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    It's always interesting to see the people this thread is about, be on the other side of the desk.

Last night, Anderson Cooper aired a 5 minute segment with Stephen Colbert, that covers Ken Cuccinelli and Trump's heresy to the normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xTyPWjvIzM

Tonight, there's apparently going to be a longer segment.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Seth's apparent displeasure with this bit only seems to heighten my enjoyment:

https://youtu.be/yU0IDwZslKM

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm two minutes into Last Week Tonight's main segment on Bias In Medicine and my jaw has hit the floor. It's discussing how if you're a woman or person of color, your interaction with the healthcare system in America is different. So in going back to some historical evidence on this, they show a 1953 advisory style commercial where a girl refers to her own period as "the curse."

WHAT THE FUCK.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm two minutes into Last Week Tonight's main segment on Bias In Medicine and my jaw has hit the floor. It's discussing how if you're a woman or person of color, your interaction with the healthcare system in America is different. So in going back to some historical evidence on this, they show a 1953 advisory style commercial where a girl refers to her own period as "the curse."

WHAT THE FUCK.

It gets better. Well.. the segment gets better. The feeling of WTF gets much, much worse.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

WHAT THE FUCK.

Welcome to the horrors of institutionalized sexism and racism. And this shit still goes on to this day - take Serena Williams, one of the elite athletes in the world, who almost died in childbirth because of this issue.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2019

WHAT THE FUCK.

... you haven't heard that before? that was pretty standard slang right up until the 80s. I remember a joke in the Golden Girls about it.

The ongoing epidemic of doctors telling women to 'fuck the endometriosis away' and similar is something I worry about more. Or even better, decide to spend their time researching whether being in pain makes women hotter:

(click through to the thread for a bit by bit teardown)

edit: I know the origin of calling your period "the curse" is some pretty obnoxious religious misogyny , but as a period-haver I've never thought it to be terribly inaccurate. Kind of like being cursed with spring-time hayfever. Plus "The painful inconvenience and monthly ruiner of underpants" doesn't roll off the tongue as well.

tynic on
    You guys misunderstand me.

I'm not surprised by the biases that exist against women and people of color.

I was in shock at the specific term used for a specific thing.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    You guys misunderstand me.

I'm not surprised by the biases that exist against women and people of color.

I was in shock at the specific term used for a specific thing.

Religious sexism dies hard. Yeah, that's where that little bit of misogyny comes from - the idea that menstruation is one of the "curses" put on Eve.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm just surprised there are people who haven't heard that term before. Maybe I'm an old.

• Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Last Week Tonight: Comedy that enrages you.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    99 percent invisible had an episode about the sexism in the design of basically everything everywhere not that long ago. Worth checking out.

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    LWT is back from their mini break, and with a good one.

https://youtu.be/3y1QA6OeAcQ

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    So, Hasan Minhaj (former Daily Show alum) has his own show, Patriot Act, which is available on Netflix, but also after the fact on YouTube.

Anyways, he did an episode about six months ago on student debt.

Yesterday, he testified before Congress on the matter.

"You know the student loan crisis is bad when I'm asked to testify before Congress about it."
    - Hasan Minhaj is a comedian who hosts the kind of news-adjacent show this thread is about.

His opening remark is pretty awesome, given how Republicans like to use that as an excuse.

But his information is pretty eyeopening for those that are paying attention. First, he points out that the need for college is much more important now, than it was 33 years ago (which is the average time ago that the committee chairs went to college).

He found out how much each of the committee members paid for tuition when they went to school, and compared them to those same schools today. Basically, tuition increased 110% in that time, whereas wages have increased 16%.

So, more need, more expensive, less payoff, harsher debt.

And his closing statement is just AWESOME. The look on Maxine Waters face is priceless.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I guess late night comedians end up knowing more about the big picture of politics than actual politicians who tend to get stuck in the fine details of bills, procedures and backroom political skullduggery.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I guess late night comedians end up knowing more about the big picture of politics than actual politicians who tend to get stuck in the fine details of bills, procedures and backroom political skullduggery.

It's more they aren't directly bankrolled by the people who are causing the issue. Like I guarantee just about everyone on that committee has taken donations from people who benefit from the fucked up college tuition structure in america.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »

It's more they aren't directly bankrolled by the people who are causing the issue. Like I guarantee just about everyone on that committee has taken donations from people who benefit from the fucked up college tuition structure in america.

Or, at the very least, don't want their opponents bankrolled by same.

That was what the NRA started doing in some areas. "We're not gonna give you jack. But if you screw us on this, we're gonna fund an opponent.".

In other areas, certain industries bankroll both sides, with the tacit understanding "You dick us, your money goes to them."

I know it's preaching to the choir, but corporate money in politics is bad. :)

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Minhaj is paid by a corporation (Netflix) to be funny. Who knows where their interests lie? If he was described as "A lobbyist for Netflix" what would you think of him?

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Minhaj is paid by a corporation (Netflix) to be funny. Who knows where their interests lie? If he was described as "A lobbyist for Netflix" what would you think of him?

That he's the funniest lobbyist ever?

But for reals: If he was there testifying (or lobbying) on entertainment issues, that might be problematic. But Netflix is not involved in student loans, and neither is he, so it's not particularly problematic.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Are you insinuating that anyone who testifies before Congress on any issue is doing so to further the interests of their employer?

Or are you just insinuating that about Minhaj specifically?

Well if he was there on behalf of netflix to advocate for something beneficial to netflix I'd be "well that's kind of dumb" but seeing as congress has let college tuition become the monster it is and has still dont yep nothing o'clock on it, I feel confident in saying they are all bought and paid for.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

I would think the person using that descriptor is being deliberately misleading.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Almost everybody is involved or paid for by some industry.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    Mortious wrote: »

The difference of course being congress can write laws to regulate and do not. Comedians can make videos to inform and that's pretty much it.

Like part of the reason tuition costs in america are terrible are american politicians! The very people Hasan was talking to! If they don't like being accused of being bought off by the loan industry PASS A FUCKING LAW!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Mortious wrote: »

This was my thought as well. Short of being independently wealthy (which in itself can be problematic, and would likely be (perhaps rightly) vilified) or retired, it's not exactly uncommon to have a paycheque from somewhere, so it seems like an odd issue to raise.

Like, Colbert testified before Congress regarding immigration, and I don't recall any concerns that the welfare of migrant farmhands was somehow being tainted by his being paid by Comedy Central at the time.

If it were a related field or somehow tied to regulation of something he were directly linked to it'd be one thing. Instead, he's... a citizen who happens to have a research team at hand and a willingness to put comedy and news together, on the show and to the faces of Congressional members alike.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Let me just say

I hope they never stop doing Ted Cruz Dr Seuss poems

So, in good news/sad news, we have this.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/09/amber-ruffin-show-peacock-nbc-streaming.html

Good news - Amber Ruffin is going to be hosting a new show! And she's taking Jenny Hagel (most commonly seen on the show opposite Amber in "Jokes Seth Can't Tell") with her as writer.
    Sad news - It means we won't see her much, if at all, on Seth, and that's a loss. Also, it's on their own streaming service, rather than on FTA or cable, and I'm kinda over 57 different streaming channels.

But still, good for her! It's definitely a step up, even if it's not as big a step (for the moment) as she deserves.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I haven't watched the segment yet, but the main story / YouTube segment of LWT is on Pharmacies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nuzi7LlSDVo

I will be frank: I get these big stories take a while to produce, but given the news of the last week, I'm kind of surprised their main story wasn't on the Impeachment. Then again, I have no clue what the other parts of the episode were about.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I haven't watched the segment yet, but the main story / YouTube segment of LWT is on Pharmacies.

I will be frank: I get these big stories take a while to product, but given the news of the last week, I'm kind of surprised their main story wasn't on the Impeachment. Then again, I have no clue what the other parts of the episode were about.

Trump was the lead part of the episode.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »

I will be frank: I get these big stories take a while to product, but given the news of the last week, I'm kind of surprised their main story wasn't on the Impeachment. Then again, I have no clue what the other parts of the episode were about.

Trump was the lead part of the episode.

Also, LWT tends to dive deep on their stories, often spending weeks on getting everything they need.

So, the reason for not being Trump for thirty minutes is threefold.

1) They likely weren't going to be able to cover anything on a Sunday night that hadn't already been hashed to bits by a half-dozen late night shows, three cable news networks, and several broadcast ones.

2) Given time, they may do a deep dive on something that has NOT been hashed to pieces. Like covering the Russian/Ukrainian conflict, and why the ~$400B in funding was so important.

3) As a continuation to the second point, LWT's stories tend to cover those NOT covered by most news outlets sufficiently, if at all. So, maybe they felt that this pharmacies issue is one that shouldn't fall through the cracks as the clusterfuck in DC takes 90+% of the coverage from now until at least December of next year.

JOliver has made it clear his show is supposed to be a break from the story of the day. So this absolutely fits.

A daniel Obrien sighting! He was the one arm fucking a robot!

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Ha the end of that video is well worth the blindness inflicted by badly regulated drugs.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I never thought I'd say it about a segment about people going blind and/or dying from tainted medicine, but the end of that segment is hands down the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

I think what I'm saying is that I'm going to Hell.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

*looks around*
    We might have already arrived at our destination.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    GONG-00 wrote: »

*looks around*
    We might have already arrived at our destination.

Guys, I think we're in the Bad Place.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I remember those blue bottles of topical cream from that John Oliver bit. I got prescribed a compound like that a few years ago through, you guessed it, a DoD referral for chronic pain management.

I was surprised by three things when getting it:

1. How expensive it was even though I wasn’t personally paying for it.
    2. How useless it was for actual pain related to head trauma.
    3. And I didn’t know pharmacist could put cocaine in topical creams. Yes. They gave me cocaine ointment for concussion induced headaches.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    3. And I didn’t know pharmacist could put cocaine in topical creams. Yes. They gave me cocaine ointment for concussion induced headaches.

It's a niche thing, but legal, and I've received such treatment myself.

I have adverse reactions to lidocaine (i.e. hives and intense swelling) but not cocaine, so a couple of times when I've needed a topical anesthetic for an outpatient procedure they used a coca based cream or paste and it numbed like a mofo.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai