As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Revenge of Interesting Facts: STAY INSIDE ON WIKIPEDIA

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    jF2CvGO.jpg?1
    Samurai of the Chosyu clan, during the Boshin War period
    "Spot the time traveler" is a little blatant in this one but yeah that guy in the middle is from 2155

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    huh?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Always worth keeping an eye out for time travelers
    tqqOoD0.jpg
    Soldiers at rest, Petersburg, Va., 1864

Centre right background

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Honestly I'm more concerned about the ghost far right

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ghosts are in every photo, you just can’t always see them.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    They're fucking shoes, nobody what nobody uses the term tennis shoes that is younger than 80.

• Options
    “Pull on your feet boats” I say to the fam

• Options
    And how does Uschi respond to that one?

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    e7lmvdb3bwdt.jpg

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    The time-honored English tradition of obfuscating meaning by purposefully choosing unexpected or arcane terminology for everyday things for “fun”.

Ambler mitten.
    Sock

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

all these maps are made up, man, there's no actual survey

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I don't get the time traveler thing.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I find it disappointing because most of general human movements but some of them are fun
    NjgzODBhMWQxZSMvZC03ZzRVQ1BGQVZBMEp6MzZ2MGRCUkpMRDgwPS9maXQtaW4vOTAweDkwMC9maWx0ZXJzOm5vX3Vwc2NhbGUoKTpxdWFsaXR5KDgwKS9odHRwOi8vaW1hZ2VzLm1pYy5jb20vdW9ycnZmOTZkZmxoanc1cnpja2p2NmRzMzExeXV6MHpyZ2dibXFvcHR6eXZjamt5cGNoa2NvMmJ5eDVxZ2JrNy5naWY.gif

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

I dunno about these specific photos, but generally the joke is that you have a photograph that shows seeming anachronisms (that are actually just waaay older than you think). For example, IIRC there's one floating around of a ship crew in one of the World Wars (I think?) where a seaman is dabbing in the background. There's also multiple where someone in the scene is holding a "mobile phone" (which is probably just a different rectangular object).

Typically this'll be with (potentially colorized) turn-of-the-century photos, since that's where you can still see a bunch of traditional stuff clashing with the more "modern" and the colors make the photo more obviously old.

These are kind of funny when they're just jokes, but there's also the weirdo conspiracy theorists who take this shit and run with it as proof that time travel is real.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    e7lmvdb3bwdt.jpg

Found the time traveler, center right

• Options
    HadesHades Registered User regular
    The sailor dabbing is actually just a bunch of extras from the movie Dunkirk.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

all these maps are made up, man, there's no actual survey

That one's from the NYT dialect quiz that everybody on Facebook posted in 2013. I suspect there's something wonky in the way they're using color on that map, because the Harvard dialect survey from 2003 shows the dominance of "sneaker" in the Northeast, but also shows a much more even mix of "sneaker" and "tennis shoe" in the rest of the country, and a whole lot of "sneaker" on the west coast. So it makes it look like 100% of people in most of the country say "tennis shoe," while it may be a slim majority term in most places.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Tynic gets it

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I grew up calling them tennis shoes. As I got older, and realized tennis was a real sport, I got a little confused as to why they were called that. I'll have to listen to myself next time I ask the kids to put in their shoes, but I think I call them sneakers now.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    huh?

yeah I still don't get it either. Nothing looks particularly anachronistic to me.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I definitely hear tennis shoes and gym shoes a bunch living in Chicago, and I've gotten one or two blank stares referring to them as sneakers

But as with many of those regional dialect things, there's a lot of spread due to national media, and Northeastern and California terms tend to take over a bit as a result

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    huh?

yeah I still don't get it either. Nothing looks particularly anachronistic to me.

They just look slightly out of place, either by directly acknowledging the camera and thus making eye contact, or by standing apart from the others in a sort of self-assured posture

• Options
    Look they’re all just trying to get their parents to fuck without borking too much of the timeline, but some are going to be called a chicken and mess up ok?

• Options

Did you know that an early name for a condom

Was a Malthus Sheath?

• Options
    Incredible

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Another fun fact: an early brand of condoms was labeled "3 Merry Widows"

When metal detecting, I'd find the tins all through the woods and fields.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Another fun fact: an early brand of condoms was labeled "3 Merry Widows"

When metal detecting, I'd find the tins all through the woods and fields.

The Fucking Field and the Fucking Forest

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I feel like Malthus Sheath deserves to be the name of a Dungeons and Dragons character

Maybe a Dragonborn rogue

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2019
    I feel like Malthus Sheath deserves to be the name of a Dungeons and Dragons character

Maybe a Dragonborn rogue

It sounds like the name of a D&D caper.

Chapter 7: The Malthus Sheath. In which our heroes find themselves in a sticky situation

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    @Fishman @lonelyahava what the hell is going on down there in NZ

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2019/08/nightmare-hand-sculpture-arrives-in-wellington-horrifies-locals.html

CHRISTCHURCH-ART-GALLERY-hand-sculpture-quasi-1120.jpg

The five-metre tall polystyrene and resin sculpture was created by artist Ronnie van Hout. It's a large hand standing on two fingers, with a face in the palm.

Originally, it stood atop Christchurch Art Gallery, but now "Quasi" is perched on top of Wellington's City Gallery, staring out over the city.
    Another user had just the right mix of reverence and fear.

"Gaze upon him, is that the face of a merciful God?"

I don't know if this is exactly the right thread, but we don't have one for "Boschian nightmares that should remain forever buried", so.

• Options
    Wow I can't believe they said the face is in the palm. That's clearly the back of the hand, article author. Or are hands also backwards in NZ?

• Options
    maybe the face moves.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Wow I can't believe they said the face is in the palm. That's clearly the back of the hand, article author. Or are hands also backwards in NZ?
    Maybe it's a linguistic thing, like how in UK English "pants" refers to what US English speakers call "underwear".

Maybe in NZ English, "palm" refers to what other Englishes call "back of the hand".

• Options
    Nah I'm pretty sure anatomical terms are universal within English or medical records would be fucking garbo when traveling.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

Did you know that an early name for a condom

Was a Malthus Sheath?

This reads like something out of the Achewood arc when Little Nephew got taken back to Wales.

https://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04282009

• Options
    Nah I'm pretty sure anatomical terms are universal within English or medical records would be fucking garbo when traveling.

Wait this does seem like it might be accurate though

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Maybe it's a linguistic thing, like how in UK English "pants" refers to what US English speakers call "underwear".

Maybe in NZ English, "palm" refers to what other Englishes call "back of the hand".

What are underpants then

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »

What are underpants then

Shoes.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Also a type of flaky-crust meat pastry.

This discussion has been closed.