As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Unfortunately if you are unable to connect to the nation wide GooglAmazon LoRa network you will no longer be eligible for social benefits such as gainful employment, neutral recognition from police autonomous lethal patrol units, electricity, water

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Am update on the NULL license plate:lawyers supposedly became involved Wednesday and by Friday morning every misapplied ticket vanished from CPC's database and they reported that it was merely mailing address confusion and the guy was never being pursued for tickets that weren't his, pinkie swear.

Https://www.citationprocessingcenter.com/CitationSearch.aspx

Hevach on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    neutral recognition from police autonomous lethal patrol units

I've read too much scifi for this to be funny.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

I've read too much news to find it funny.
    And i bet someone is researching how to do just that.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Oh that wasn't a joke I get mail from the future and transcribe it to the forum occasionally

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Do people with crappy or no internet just... not get to buy new appliances then?
    Hevach wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »
    Just don't connect the stuff? I don't understand why you would bother hooking it up personally. Just ignore all of those features. Unless they force you to try and use them? I wouldn't know I am to poor for anything newer then last decade appliance wise.

A significant (and growing) portion run on Sim City 4 rules. For example, the Juicero no longer functions with the company behind it gone, even if you have leftover packets for it. Anyone with a Jibo are soon going to be the proud owners of $900 plastic bricks (or maybe this has already happened, it's been a while since I heard the status lights on them went dark and it started giving server shutdown warnings). And my aunt has a new Vorwerk blender that wouldn't turn on until the setup process (including wifi connection and setting up an account) was complete, which after three days of phone calls I had to just go over there myself and do for her.

Same goes for the smart home company Google just bought, everything from the status board to the thermostat won't actually work until you connect it to a Google account and click Accept on like sixteen megabytes of raw text.
    Does your aunt's blender require a connection whenever it's in use, or only at setup?

I still think having a home with programmable smart lighting would be really cool. The scenario I always pictured involved running my own server, though - no internet connection needed or wanted.

At this rate I might have to write the software myself.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Calica wrote: »
    Do people with crappy or no internet just... not get to buy new appliances then?
    Just don't connect the stuff? I don't understand why you would bother hooking it up personally. Just ignore all of those features. Unless they force you to try and use them? I wouldn't know I am to poor for anything newer then last decade appliance wise.

A significant (and growing) portion run on Sim City 4 rules. For example, the Juicero no longer functions with the company behind it gone, even if you have leftover packets for it. Anyone with a Jibo are soon going to be the proud owners of $900 plastic bricks (or maybe this has already happened, it's been a while since I heard the status lights on them went dark and it started giving server shutdown warnings). And my aunt has a new Vorwerk blender that wouldn't turn on until the setup process (including wifi connection and setting up an account) was complete, which after three days of phone calls I had to just go over there myself and do for her.

Same goes for the smart home company Google just bought, everything from the status board to the thermostat won't actually work until you connect it to a Google account and click Accept on like sixteen megabytes of raw text.
    Does your aunt's blender require a connection whenever it's in use, or only at setup?

I still think having a home with programmable smart lighting would be really cool. The scenario I always pictured involved running my own server, though - no internet connection needed or wanted.

At this rate I might have to write the software myself.

I know she's been able to use it during internet outages, but that it's also locked her out and forced her to log back in at least twice for some reason or another. I suspect it's at least on the original Xbone idea where it has to regularly phone home and will fuck off if it misses the deadline, but I've never intentionally tried to see where that happens. If you change it's wifi settings you can't get back to the controls until it successfully connects and logs in, it won't let you just put some random stuff in to skip.

It also locks out controls for updates, but has an option to disable automatic updates. It does not have the ability to disable automatic update CHECKING though, so if you disable automatic updates it will sit at the Update Ready screen until you let it update, and you can't get to the controls.

Cheap appliances haven't gotten this treatment yet and honestly most cheap appliances aren't generally WORSE than the next price tier up, the next tier is just full of smart features.

The worst thing about these damn things is that nothing readily works with anything else. Every brand has its own app (some brands have different apps for different appliances), and no brand makes everything. I'd fucking love to have Jarvis run my house, I'd even be ok with the Chinese government tracking how many eggs are in my fridge if that was how it was. But you don't get Jarvis. You get twenty-seven different guys and you have to turn each one off before you can talk to another one.

Hevach on
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    That appliance stuff sounds like a nightmare. I wonder how hard it is to just rip out the wifi stuff built into all of this crap. Although I guess the software would probably freak out.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    We aren't asking the most pertinent questions here.

Can this blender run ZDoom?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019

Will cacodemons blend?

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Industrial strength dildoes.

The phrase "industrial strength dildos" just raises so many questions.

At what point does a dildo pass from consumer strength to industrial strength?
    When you go from battery power to 220v ac induction motor.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    What’s the use case on that

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    What’s the use case on that

Orgies

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    That appliance stuff sounds like a nightmare. I wonder how hard it is to just rip out the wifi stuff built into all of this crap. Although I guess the software would probably freak out.

The usual problem is that control is through the screen and not analog controls, and it's common for the screen to boot into an unskippable setup procedure. Gut the wifi and if the thing doesn't break outright you can't complete the setup.

The solution is just not to buy into the buzzwords. If you look at most appliance price tiers, there's almost always a less advertised non-smart tier functionally equal and cheaper below every smart device. So either go a step cheaper or go crazy expensive - the top tier appliances meant for restaurant kitchens and hotel laundry rooms and the like are almost never smart devices.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

I just googled "Top Secret dildo scene" and because I'm an idiot was surprised that the results were not, in fact, the scene from Top Secret. Found it though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXqLWqCqDHc

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

I just googled "Top Secret dildo scene" and because I'm an idiot was surprised that the results were not, in fact, the scene from Top Secret. Found it though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXqLWqCqDHc

The Anal Intruder truly was a marital aide marvel.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    There was a guy who presented a hack at BSides 2019 who had managed to load malware onto a coffee machine that requested Bitcoin on the screen and constantly got the machine to spew hot water whilst grinding nothing constantly.
    This was through exploiting the API of the firmware so as to download a malicious payload instead of a legitimate firmware update.

I fully expect automated vehicles to be hijacked in a similar manner.
    Just change the destination, lock out the controller, and then send the empty truck back for style points and hopefully more stuff.
    Or refuse to let the trucks refuel until the company pays you.

discrider on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    There was a guy who presented a hack at BSides 2019 who had managed to load malware onto a coffee machine that requested Bitcoin on the screen and constantly got the machine to spew hot water whilst grinding nothing constantly.
    This was through exploiting the API of the firmware so as to download a malicious payload instead of a legitimate firmware update.

Just change the destination, lock out the controller, and then send the empty truck back for style points and hopefully more stuff.

Then we'd already have issues with that with cargo ships and supertankers, seeing as their long-range guidance is almost entirely automated. Despite both of those kinds of ships being worth millions on their own plus the millions upon millions that their cargo is worth, nobody seems to want to bother with the effort of breaking into their systems to take them over. And getting a single cargo ship would net you a payoff a thousand times better than any piddly cargo truck, so this should already be happening if it was really all that easy.

There's a huge difference between cheapass barely-functional systems slapped into some retail product and systems integrated into multi-billion cargo transport networks with a vested interest in not having their directions fucked with. Not to mention that fucking with companies on that scale is literally enough to get governments dropping special forces on your head, because they don't want their economy fucked with either.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Will cacodemons blend?

The chainsaw says yes.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options

Then we'd already have issues with that with cargo ships and supertankers, seeing as their long-range guidance is almost entirely automated. Despite both of those kinds of ships being worth millions on their own plus the millions upon millions that their cargo is worth, nobody seems to want to bother with the effort of breaking into their systems to take them over. And getting a single cargo ship would net you a payoff a thousand times better than any piddly cargo truck, so this should already be happening if it was really all that easy.

There's a huge difference between cheapass barely-functional systems slapped into some retail product and systems integrated into multi-billion cargo transport networks with a vested interest in not having their directions fucked with. Not to mention that fucking with companies on that scale is literally enough to get governments dropping special forces on your head, because they don't want their economy fucked with either.

Stealing a cargo ship is a dog catching a car, what the fuck do you do once you have it? The manpower, facilities, and equipment to deal with it is immense.

A semi is easy. Two guys can unload one in an afternoon or a small crew can manage it in a couple hours. You can fit the contents of one into a modest sized house's basement.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

There was a sci-fi anthology tv show years ago that had an episode with a great take on this, its driven me mad for ages that I cant remember the name of it. The gist of it was omnipresent flying robots monitored human behavior and the punishment for something like flagrant selfishness was you had a mark temporarily burned onto your forehead for a year and you were supposed to be treated as invisible by society while you had it. There are several scenes that are almost haunting, some of the things he does during his sentence are not great but they feel authentic for what someone would do in that situation and it's stuck with me.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

Stealing a cargo ship is a dog catching a car, what the fuck do you do once you have it? The manpower, facilities, and equipment to deal with it is immense.

A semi is easy. Two guys can unload one in an afternoon or a small crew can manage it in a couple hours. You can fit the contents of one into a modest sized house's basement.

Plus grabbing a semi will get the attention of the cops, taking a cargo ship can end up with someone's navy coming after you.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019

Or you know, just sign your damn firmware. This is a solved problem that Internet of Shit companies are just ignoring because it would require like a day of effort to mitigate.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Plus grabbing a semi will get the attention of the cops, taking a cargo ship can end up with someone's navy coming after you.

So you then dump a half-a-hold’s worth of boxes of Industrial Strength Dildos in the wake behind you in the hopes they live up to that claim and pose a solid barrier to protect you from said navy

The rest of the dildos remain with you to be put in your booty on your secret pirate island

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

So you then dump a half-a-hold’s worth of boxes of Industrial Strength Dildos in the wake behind you in the hopes they live up to that claim and pose a solid barrier to protect you from said navy

The rest of the dildos remain with you to be put in your booty on your secret pirate island

You had me at secret pirate island. Where do I sign up?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

You crash it, and any other tankers you felt like grabbing -- oil tankers, for instance -- into the major ports of your enemy. Then instead of spending 12 people and several thousand dollars to take out ~3000 people and major buildings, you spend 0 people and maybe some money, depending on previous level of expertise, to completely stop all trade and wreck environmental ruin on your enemy for decades.
    It's a pretty major national security concern.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    But that aint theft. The class of people who would do that and the class who would want the merch are not the same

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Has anyone seen Chernobyl?

Even if you assume that intentionally malicious actors are not a problem, I think there's a very real concern that you can have a confluence of events which result in a catastrophe. There are already well-documented cases of very simple, straightforward processes (in comparison to "the internet of things") which nearly resulted in a nuclear holocaust.

Maybe we stop pretending that life is a well-understood, well-engineered problem and come to grips with the fact that there is a lot of shit that we just plain do not understand or is just out of our control, and the more complicated things are, the greater the risk that they will invariably blow up in your face.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Finnish economist delivers report in Finnish manner - via rally car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRQpFWVH7JM

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Even if you assume that intentionally malicious actors are not a problem, I think there's a very real concern that you can have a confluence of events which result in a catastrophe. There are already well-documented cases of very simple, straightforward processes (in comparison to "the internet of things") which nearly resulted in a nuclear holocaust.

Maybe we stop pretending that life is a well-understood, well-engineered problem and come to grips with the fact that there is a lot of shit that we just plain do not understand or is just out of our control, and the more complicated things are, the greater the risk that they will invariably blow up in your face.

In direct opposition to this idea, an average person living in a modern developed nation requires living an entire life supported by a lot of extremely complex devices and systems which make life categorically and objectively better than it was for virtually anybody a hundred years ago. Most people also have no idea as to the complexity of the devices they use and constantly and consistently use them safely.

"We don't perfectly understand something new" is terrible as a criticism, because otherwise we'd still be hiding in bushes from bears and eating raw rodents whenever we're lucky enough to catch some meat unawares.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

In direct opposition to this idea, an average person living in a modern developed nation requires living an entire life supported by a lot of extremely complex devices and systems which make life categorically and objectively better than it was for virtually anybody a hundred years ago. Most people also have no idea as to the complexity of the devices they use and constantly and consistently use them safely.

"We don't perfectly understand something new" is terrible as a criticism, because otherwise we'd still be hiding in bushes from bears and eating raw rodents whenever we're lucky enough to catch some meat unawares.

There's no damn way whatever primitive humanoid that discovered how to start fire understood a damn thing about it beyond it being hot and making food better.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

There's no damn way whatever primitive humanoid that discovered how to start fire understood a damn thing about it beyond it being hot and making food better.

Which is my point. Something new and more complicated doesn't equate to more hazard than benefit, or even necessarily more hazard at all. Would you rather work in a modern forge with an assload of safety features and equipment, or an old-school blacksmith's forge where smashing your hand with a hammer means a slow death by starvation because your livelihood is gone? Reasoning out hazards just means reasoning out safety measures, then dealing with the unexpected risks when they pop up. We aren't talking about letting nuclear trucks loose on the road here, just robot trucks.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

Then we'd already have issues with that with cargo ships and supertankers, seeing as their long-range guidance is almost entirely automated.

I mean, you're right.
    https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/ships-infected-with-ransomware-usb-malware-worms/

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Also see: the Bluetooth news last week

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

Then we'd already have issues with that with cargo ships and supertankers, seeing as their long-range guidance is almost entirely automated.

I mean, you're right.
    https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/ships-infected-with-ransomware-usb-malware-worms/

It's wasn't in actual ships, but the third largest maritime shipping company had something like 45 hundred servers and workstations crpytolockered too.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Ah, to be in Colorado, where the majestic mattress roams the plains...

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Before the settlers came the plains would be covered with herds of free-roaming mattresses as far as the eye could see. Now we only have these small protected groups in captivity. Sad, really.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Particularly the beginning of that video makes me think of a real-life version of the arcade game Klax

edit: also, a couple posts down the twitter thread, someone has a version with Ride of the Valkyries playing, which is *chefkiss*

Fry on
This discussion has been closed.