As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX AUS 2019 Challenge Coin -All done!

fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin ManNewcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
edited July 2021 in PAX Australia
tXKg4Uv.png
What is a PAX Challenge Coin? Click here for details.
Last year's thread (this OP will be frequently updated with the latest info on design/ordering/etc).

ORDER HERE!:
http://bit.ly/PAXAUS2019Order (orders now closed)

Good news everyone, they're sending over a limited number of extra challenge coins so if you still want to grab some without paying for shipping send me a DM and I'll reopen the form (purchases must still be made via the order form, I don't personally collect any money for these).

This offer will be open until the end of PAX or until they're all sold out, so let anyone that you think might be interested know that the earlier the better.

Also I remembered to turn on confirmation emails this year so once you order you should get an email with your order details for reference.

EDIT: oh no
Thank you for using the Email Notifications addon for your Google Form - PAX AUS 2019 Challenge Coin Order Form.

The free version of the Google add-on can email up to 20 responses per day and you seem to have exhausted the limit for the day.

Oops. Sorry to anyone that doesn't get an order notification!

Let me know if you want me to double check your order deets!

Final Production Artwork:

cRPHlEam.jpgbJwm6QJm.jpg

Production Artwork v1:
niFzo8d.jpg

SvSmFNT.jpg

OP content here:
I don't have any ideas for either side this year, so if you have a photo you'd like to submit or a suggestion let's hear them!

We need something gaming related for the face side, and an image representing Melbourne for the back.

fishfishmonkeyhat on

• qazerboiqazerboi Registered User regular
    Maybe in line with the pass design we should do a 3 cheese pizza.....

fmnyyvnpdu5v.png
  • Dark KingDark King Registered User regular
    For a game, two options. One is to use a game that has been officially banned here in Australia:
    I hate censorship
    The other option would be a game that was created here in Australia:
    Publishers
    Maybe LA Noir? Apparently it was created here.

For something distinct to Melbourne, two suggestions. The first is one I've raised before, the Royal Exhibition Building:
    It was Australia's first Federal Parliament Building for a while
    000064852c_edit.jpg

The other would be the museum next door:
    Melbourne Museum
    Melbourne.Museum.original.10387.jpg

• tomandjebinspacetomandjebinspace Registered User regular
    If you're wanting to showcase a Melbourne game, Florence is a good bet, or Aussie in general Hollow Knight from Adelaide.

i second the Skipping Girl

fmnyyvnpdu5v.png
  • branblesbranbles Registered User regular
    I third the Skipping Girl!

Hollow Knight sounds very cool, especially if Team Cherry are interested.

I have been playing around with a 30th-anniversary tribute to the Gameboy using sprites from Tetris, Pokemon and Mario.

• RavendRavend Registered User regular
    Comment from the peanut gallery here...

We have had a digital gaming icon and a board game icon on the last 2 – how about an RPG icon this time? Maybe a d4 balanced upside-down (ie the cornertip is touching the ground rather than pointing up.

Other suggestions could Eureka tower or Melbourne Shot Tower could be a location image if needed.
    I like the Shrine of Remembrance with ANZAC parade leading to it.

A cartoon drawing of a Platypus icon or even a Blue-ring octopus (given the recent news of tourists putting that darn thing on their arm and living!) - Platypus in glasses, carrying a boardgame box under arm… etc

Or (following the earlier posts) the Skipping girl on one side, or maybe the Yarra river with MCEC beside for location (or the polly woodside in view)

**drats - it loaded the image but will not let me link it**
    Please add h t t p s : / / to text** us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/ib/28sgel0k0pde.jpg **

Just random thoughts after seeing the post today :)

• PDP11PDP11 Registered User regular
    Using images of the Shrine of Remembrance is controlled and you have to get permission. There is a form on the Photography at the Shrine page. The catch is not the taking of the photo but the resale of the image. Basically the form has to say what use is going to be made of the image. Think the fine this year would be around $330.00

Shrine of Remembrance Act 1978
    PART 3—MISCELLANEOUS
    5 Prohibition against and penalty for unauthorized publications etc.
    1. Any person who except with the authority in writing of the trustees manufactures, prints, publishes, displays or sells or authorizes the manufacture, printing, publishing, display or sale of any replicas, drawings, photographs, booklets, pamphlets or any other like matter relating to the Shrine of Remembrance shall be guilty of an offence and liable to a penalty not exceeding 2 penalty units

I would still like to see the Microbee PC85 used.

May be a birds eye view of the MCG then place the text in an oval instead of using the outer edge, circular format. This may or may not work, just floating the idea.

I made this design of the skipping girl, it might be too fine for a coin but lets keep the ball rolling.

vff0mlx6ot7x.png

• Aquaa Aquaa  Registered User regular
    Can't it be an Animal? Having it a certain gender might upset people, consider a gender-neutral coin design.

Aquaa wrote: »
    Can't it be an Animal? Having it a certain gender might upset people, consider a gender-neutral coin design.

You do realise that animals have genders too?
    This is an iconic sign, of a child skipping.
    We need to be careful not to sexualise everything, so if you feel it will offend people, please put forward a proper suggestion in the form of an image that you feel is more suitable.

fmnyyvnpdu5v.png
    edited August 2019
    Melbourne icons could be Puffing Billy, Dame Edna's glasses, colourful Bathing Boxes on a beach, West Gate Bridge, City skyline, climate crisis protesters marching down city streets, Yarra River's Birdman competition.

Maybe we should be celebrating the 57th fastest internet broadband in the world:- Australia, doing more with less. Speedtest Global-Index

PDP11 on
    edited August 2019
    The only animal I can think of that says Melbourne is a Little Penguin which could be cool. Could also pay homage to Melbourne's culinary history picture some dim sims.

My vote is still for the skipping girl though, I get the tram in to PAX from that tram stop every year.

branbles on
    Still can not post links... sigh :)

Do you think we could use a symbol like a fallout vault door (like the 9 sided cog) - we could do one in the shape of the Australian 50c piece - rolled to the side with an animal peeking out (the dropbear would be good, although used).. maybe a huntsman spider coming out. (or if cuties a Penguin (fairy) or even a Tassie Devil).
    The door could be somewhat fitting to the torture of Country Roads last year. Or even potentially the use of the Sweet Roll symbol which was fairly unique for PAXAUS.

I really liked the purple border rim style that unplugged used - something like that in yellow might look good.

Fitting for the area could even be the flame towers along the water front of Crown.. It potentially could be make to look like the Eye of Sauron.

edited August 2019
    olqzy6tvccsq.png

branbles on
  • Dark KingDark King Registered User regular
    The Church has a pin. Putting it on the coin would be blasphemy.

Dark King wrote: »
    The Church has a pin. Putting it on the coin would be blasphemy.

Piffle... :) It would be ideal for starting a whole "Thou shall not trade in false idols" sort to thing.... Think of the splinter groups that could come out of it. You could even do a image of part of it sliced out, and state that you can have your roll and eat it too.

(nice work branbles)

Oooh Piffle is another game we could use. A little cat friend on one side and the Skipping Girl on the other.
    Though I do like the idea of the Westgate in a sort of iconic Golden Gate Bridge style

Do you mean the Bolte Bridge?

I do like @Ravend's suggestion of the flames along the waterfront with MCEC in the background.
    Yeah Bolte Bridge would look pretty good too.

fmnyyvnpdu5v.png
    branbles wrote: »

No... the Westgate Bridge. It goes to the western suburbs.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/adonline/478226275

No... the Westgate Bridge. It goes to the western suburbs.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/adonline/478226275

Just checking, I'm used to people confusing the two

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Apologies for being MIA the last couple of weeks, work's been picking up.

I reached out to a few of the suggested game companies on twitter but didn't hear back from any.
    I have been playing around with a 30th-anniversary tribute to the Gameboy using sprites from Tetris, Pokemon and Mario.

If you can mock a design up I'm sure we'd all like to take a look.
    PDP11 wrote: »
    I would still like to see the Microbee PC85 used.

We haven't done a PC centric design yet, and apparently it appeared in Kung Fury a lot so it's also newly relevant :P.

What about something like this?:

gZKEJB8.png

I've mocked up a few different skipping girl designs below. My personal preference is either 1 or 2. Keep in mind the glowy neon effect probably won't look as good/be reproducible on a coin without more expensive screen-printing techniques. Also the sky in the background tends to be flattened to a solid colour.

Skipping 1:

qsxjSN2.png

Skipping 2:

TlGGWZw.png

Skipping 3:

wk3vhYf.png

Let me know which you think looks better (1, 2 or 3).

While you guys have a think about those I'll be contacting the manufacturer to see what our time frame is looking like.

edited August 2019
    I like 3 best, but of we could get all of the word "vinegar" in it that would look more balanced.

Failing that, 1 is nice and contained

tomandjebinspace on
  • fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I do like that 3 has all phases of the rope glowing, but the photo source isn't as sharp as the other two. Also I can reposition it so you can see all of the word, just thought an allcaps VINEGAR might make an odd element on the coin. LMK what everyone thinks about this.

Manufacture got back to me and we want to have the design sorted by the end of this month at the latest, so that's our time-frame.

fishfishmonkeyhat on
    I know this is slightly late, given fishfish has just posted some great examples.

[img]https ://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/xm/6hnrpw640y4h.jpg[/img]

Hopefully images now work for me. Nope.. darn it.. so I have made it my forum icon - click to expand (or take away the space right after the HTTPS (or if someone else could repaste the link so it shows)

A suggestion on the fact its the 50th year from the moon landing... Australia played a big part in this with Parks and Honeysuckle Creek getting the important images of man on the moon.

Maybe we can do a pax flag on the moon, with earth/australia in the background on one side, and the parks telescope on the other side, in a field with sheep around it.

Some witty text on the border about gamers leading the frontier etc. date etc.

I really like #1, i dont think we need the wording "vinegar" to be included & the Microbee side is epic

fmnyyvnpdu5v.png
    I replaced one of the pac pellets with the microbee logo!

I have to agree the Microbee side is epic.

I like the use of the first and third images of the Skipping Girl sign. I prefer the third image as there is less of the support structure visible. The first image would be more acceptable if the support structure was brushed out. The reason I dislike the second image is the word Vinegar is incomplete and does not add anything positive to the image. Either have the full word of Vinegar or delete it altogether. If you delete the word Vinegar there could be one of the following:
    • Skipping Girl
    • Skipping Girl Sign
    • Little Audrey
    • Little Audrey Sign

Here's some quick edits based on above feedback:

01A:
    c5mgUHm.png

03A:
    RX1ukKj.png

I can take out some of the cables from the top one, but I think you need to leave some of the support structure there to help show what it is.

03A looks quite good now.

really like the latest 03A

fmnyyvnpdu5v.png
    A bunch of people in the pin slack also expressed their like for 03A, so it's looking like that's in the lead for now. I just hope it transfers to a coin legibly.

Sorry for the lack of updates recently.

They sent a production draft on Friday. Other than a few changes they’re looking pretty good. I really like what they’ve done with skipping girl. Just hope we can get them done in time.

Question: would you be happy if we only did one coin this year with the gaming side in 3D/no colour and the girl in colour (but flat)?

I know the community likes a coin of each, but this years designs on each side will probably look best if left as listed above. Also at this point time may force our hand anyway (or there could be an extra die fee for producing two different versions of the same side as was almost an issue last year).

• Capt WasabiCapt Wasabi AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I have to admit the colour one is cool.
    But if you only do one coin, I would like it to not be colour.

My vote would be colour both sides then optionally drop the 3D if it looks better or necessary on time and cost grounds.

I'm happy to go with whatever works to ensure we get a coin for this year. Really appreciate the effort you put into this on a yearly basis. BTW, i'd happily order a few as gifts for new [E]

fmnyyvnpdu5v.png
    edited September 2019
    Currently looks like we can do both, but the microbee side will only have colour elements around the border.

fishfishmonkeyhat on
  • QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Mean to get these every year and always forget so count me in this year!

steam_sig.png