As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kerbal Space Program] Will You Go to Space Today?

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I've started playing again (the re-released Critter Crawler won me over), but I'm still in scraping by in early orbit missions and basic Mun exploration.

Quick question: has anyone else run into the bug where if you watch a Kerbal on EVA from the perspective of another Kerbal through your cockpit windows, the spacewalking Kerbal clips through the IVA view (unlike everything else)?

EDIT: It's actually more obvious than that--the EVA'd Kerbal is visible through your vessel in outside views too. That explains the cockpit issue.

EDIT EDIT: Ah, a pretty obvious mod was the culprit, though no one's reported the issue in its thread on the KSP Forums. Possibly a conflict with another mod.

Synthesis on
  • ErrorError Registered User regular
    So umm.....holy Kerb.

https://youtu.be/P_nj6wW6Gsc

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Because on one hand, I desperately want move on from Unity (or at least the Unity engine in KSP that has been such an infuriating experience since 0.13), and a sequel is probably the only way to do it.

On the other hand, I stopped playing the game for literally years, and just restarted, because I was tired of constant mod attrition (with mod support being my original motivation from moving off the demo to actual buy the game back in the late alpha).

Of course, a sequel doesn't mean taking away KSP1--and at least the inevitable death of mod development for it will be accompanied by the end of destructive updates in the same area. I just wonder how the mod community will handle KSP2, if they handle it at all.

From a publisher standpoint, it's probably necessary to actually get a large enough consumer base to pay $60 (or however much) per copy to make the franchise a viable business proposition. But as a user...hmm...

Though that movie did make me realized how much I want a FMV short KSP movie featuring all those familiar parts and hilarious catastrophes in space travel.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Well, look at it,this way. Ksp1 will be feature complete at some point in the near future. That means mods wont be breaking every update. So you still have a pretty substantive ksp1 and mods to play with.

I'm happy for a ksp2 to come out. Unity has been a big stone in the dev's way for years, and being able to get a fresh physics engine and a programming framework that makes mod support super easy to hook into can only be a good thing.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I'm quite sad that Squad isn't making it. I would be much more excited if they were.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    I'm quite sad that Squad isn't making it. I would be much more excited if they were.

Not much is left of the Squad that built KSP.

Hoping 2 is good, but I'm skeptical.

Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Strikor wrote: »

Not much is left of the Squad that built KSP.

Hoping 2 is good, but I'm skeptical.

Not to mention a lot of the best design work for parts (and the whole space center) came from outside of Squad in the community (sometimes hired in).

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    It's still wild to think that SQUAD is (was?) primarily a marketing firm, and KSP started as one guy's passion project.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Looking into it they want to make colonies a main thing in KSP 2 which I really like the sound of

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I hope this turns out to be the ‘No Man Sky’ built for me.

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    It's still wild to think that SQUAD is (was?) primarily a marketing firm, and KSP started as one guy's passion project.

Based in Mexico City I think.

If I remember the story, they have a policy that they promise to fund one crazy idea that a talented employee wants to do, no matter how far outside their wheelbox it is.

steam_sig.png
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Also, if watching Kerbals to that song seems familiar, there is a reason for that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkDOOsGg-9I

steam_sig.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Looking into it they want to make kolonies a main thing in KSP 2 which I really like the sound of

Kan’t believe you missed that one ...

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Just a quick note from watching that developer video, looks like the alpha build has the engines from Project Orion:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)

There was already a mod that did this (in fact, it seems like a lot of the stuff they're adding is already available through mods). But honestly I'd be okay paying $60 for a less-buggy KSP with better graphics and those mods essentially already integrated.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Holy forking shirt balls. This is so exciting! I literally fell off of my chair. :o:D

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    I'm mostly hoping for better performance and better integrated mods. KSP did very well with mod support except for the UI side, where you end up with 15 billion toolbar buttons.

• MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    Most of my experiences with KSP ends up with me remembering why I stopped playing it the last time I go into it, which is that I'm not a physicist and I hit the wall hard on not knowing how to do any of this stuff. So if anything, I'd like the sequel to have optional assists for us physics idiots.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I'm in the cautiously optimistic about this. My main issue is actually the dev team who've I've had poor experiences with before (I alpha tested on super Monday night combat).

So that part makes me cynical. On the other hand, Kerbal does not require the delicate balancing act that a tpsmoba does.

So maybe!

Edit: also that was years ago. So it's possible also they've changed in that time. (Though planetary annihilation ended up being a wet fart as well?)

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Super Monday Night Combat was like the best hero shooter before hero shooter was a genre.....

Phoenix-D wrote: »
    I'm mostly hoping for better performance and better integrated mods. KSP did very well with mod support except for the UI side, where you end up with 15 billion toolbar buttons.

Oh, also better EVA controls. Those sucked.

But the secrecy and relatively close launch date are..odd after KSP's very public dev and long dev period. A lot of KSP's best stuff is from community feedback.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    One nice thing is that KSP2 has a much more defined design doc just from that community feedback. The Devs know what they need to implement, and what to build on. KSP1 was very much figuring it out as they went.

Still yea, I have my fingers crossed. We'll see when it comes out!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Super Monday Night Combat was like the best hero shooter before hero shooter was a genre.....

Oh, when it worked it was great. But the behind the scenes was a shit show from multiple angles. It does not surprise me at all that the game crashed and burned like it did. The fact that a lot of the dev decisions boiled down to, if not quoted verbatim were "This is how League of Legends does it" (...but SMNC was not league of legend,s and should not have been trying to be league of legends, as lol already exists and does an excellent job of being lol) does not fill me with faith.

Seriously, at multiple points arguing about balance or other issues with the devs was like telling an architect "Yo, the bridge you designed fell down" "Well, that's impossible. I dont design bridges that fall down" "We are LITERALLY STANDING IN ITS WRECKAGE" "...Well, i didn't design it do that, so i dont see how that's possible" .

I mean, it has been years! the devs have likely changed, i hope they've improved their prorcesses and all that jazz. I'm just cynical

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I am super jazzed for KSP2.

I hope they can deliver! I think the trailer sends the right message at least (looking to and learning from the community)

I'm still trying to get working HOTAS controls for KSP. Presumably the sequel (on PC) will support that from the getgo.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    HOTAS works just fine with KSP flight, using the T-Flight HOTAS. Still need to use the keyboard and mouse for some things, but for flight+translation, you can absolutely HOTAS it up.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I don't want to burst any bubbles, but Unity is being used for KSP2.
    I'm hoping in the intervening years they're able to use a newer version and get past the previous physics limitations.

There's a decent FAQ a few posts down here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/187315-kerbal-space-program-2-master-post/
    In it, they mention that it's going to be launched Steam and other digital storefronts (e.g. Epic), as well as Xbox and PS stores; consoles after PC.
    They also make it sound like the majority of the team isn't from Uber Entertainment, but I may be reading too much into that.

MechMantis wrote: »
    HOTAS works just fine with KSP flight, using the T-Flight HOTAS. Still need to use the keyboard and mouse for some things, but for flight+translation, you can absolutely HOTAS it up.

I'm using a multi-part Logitech X56. Originally, KSP would not detect multiple USB controllers. Hopefully that's changed, though that wasn't the only issue.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Yeah. Unity itself isn't bad, but the version of Unity they were on had no path forward to the hundreds of improvements the engine has gone through over the years.

• DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Yeah, the last couple of years since official release I've been finding myself annoyed by new updates rather than excited. Because it just means all the mods I love (Real Solar System, Realism Overhaul especially) are going to break and take a year or more to work again. The actual updates have been like, "ho hum, duplicate effort from mods that have been released for years and you just broke again dammit."

If anything I'm hoping that KSP 2 even with two totally different dev studios will allow KSP 1 to just go on maintenance, fix bugs, get stable and let the modders run wild. Then take the best of the millions of man-hours of mod development and integrate them into the base game of the sequel.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Mods always have that problem though. It's notoriously bad in the summer when the college kids are on summer break and not working on the mods.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My friend drew this the other day as a warm-up for some art practice that day. Figured you'd all appreciate it:

Bonus points for the first person to recognize where the hover board came from. He recently upgraded his computer after I linked him the trailer to Kerbal 2. :D

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    It's the hoverboard from the original animated transformers movie. It fits pretty well with the Kerbals.

webguy20 on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    webguy20 wrote: »
    It's the hoverboard from the original animated transformers movie. It fits pretty well with the Kerbals.

You are correct sir!

“Hot Rod, look! There's a hole in the shuttle!”

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I should watch that movie again sometime soon. Its so good.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

It has some of my favourite all time dialogue. Which is a pretty high bar to clear, especially for an 80s kids movie.

"Welcome.....Megatron."
    "Who said that?"
    "I......am Unicron."
    "Show yourself!"
    "I have summoned you here for a purpose!"
    "No one summons Megatron!"
    "Then it pleases me to be the first."

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Which isn't to say there isn't shit dialogue in other scenes, but that one was fucking amazing.

Nova_C wrote: »

It has some of my favourite all time dialogue. Which is a pretty high bar to clear, especially for an 80s kids movie.

"Welcome.....Megatron."
    "Who said that?"
    "I......am Unicron."
    "Show yourself!"
    "I have summoned you here for a purpose!"
    "No one summons Megatron!"
    "Then it pleases me to be the first."

And half that dialog is by an actor who has no fucking clue what is going on! It's impressive.

• DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

You are correct sir!

“Hot Rod, look! There's a hole in the shuttle!”

"Oh shit, what're we gonna do now!"

source material checks out.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I love the new boosters. They're not great on TWR, but they add so much delta-v at such a low cost in the Career mode. I have yet to design anything massive enough to require clydesdales though.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden