As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

only one [movies] thread has an ultra hot bigfoot dad

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    now i want to watch incident at loch ness, the only good found footage movie

i think maybe amazon or shudder

but it is essential viewing

it's werner herzog vs the loch ness monster

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    VHS had some decent parts.

2 was much better.

It definitely had the best segment (Safe Haven)

3 was kinda some hot bullshit, tho

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

I have not seen this. Is it streaming somewhere?

@Rorshach Kringle @Raijin Quickfoot it's free (with ads) on Tubi.TV https://tubitv.com/movies/321126

• Options
    i love tubi

but i got that dvd playa

it came out right when college me was getting super into herzog

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2019
    GOD DAMMIT

wknv37ah99zd.jpg

Just saw the Tubi comment.

Excellent!

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    you should just buy it

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I need to see more Herzog stuff

Only one I've seen (at least that I logged, I may have seen one or two more I'm forgetting) was Into The Abyss, a death penalty documentary that

kinda fucked me up for a good weekend after I saw it

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Herzog's Nosferatu is incredible and is currently on prime

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've only seen Grizzly Man and the cave painting one (also a very unsuccessful date movie!)

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    “Say ‘AHHHH,’ motherfucker!” is just wildly out of character*, and so, so 80’s.
    Also (yeah, I’ll spoiler the ending of 1989’s Leviathan)...
    OF COURSE THE BLACK GUY DIES!

Cuz fucking why not?

* I’m basing this on the like one or two times I saw it when I was a kid after it hit VHS. Maybe that was totally in-character for Weller’s ... character. I can’t remember details beyond that line. Other than “wow, this movie wanted to be Aliens, like really badly.”

Fawst on
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Incident at Loch Ness was my first introduction to Werner Herzog

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Dying at the bottom of the ocean is somehow infinitely more terrifying to me than dying in outer space. I do not know why.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Criterion Channel just added all these Herzog flicks.

Even Dwarfs Started Small (1970)
    Land of Silence and Darkness (1971)
    Fata Morgana (1971)
    Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972)
    The Enigma of Kasper Hauser (1974)
    Heart of Glass (1976)
    Stroszek (1977)
    Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979)
    Woyzeck (1979)
    Fitzcarraldo (1982)
    Ballad of the Little Soldier (1984)
    Where the Green Ants Dream (1984)
    Cobra Verde (1987)
    Lessons of Darkness (1992)
    Little Dieter Needs to Fly (1997)
    My Best Fiend (1999)

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Dying at the bottom of the ocean is somehow infinitely more terrifying to me than dying in outer space. I do not know why.

You mean, like, dying in a facility at the bottom of the ocean rather than a facility in outer space? Because if you die in the ocean I'm pretty sure you'd be dead before you hit the bottom...

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I should state that because of Paul F Thomkins, it does feel as though I have consumed much more Herzog content than I have.

Who has two thumbs and not much else?...this guy...

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

You mean, like, dying in a facility at the bottom of the ocean rather than a facility in outer space? Because if you die in the ocean I'm pretty sure you'd be dead before you hit the bottom...

Like in a suit at the bottom of the ocean dying suffocating or something versus in a suit floating in deep space suffocating or something.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I just finished The Amazing Johnathan Documentary

What the fuck?

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

What the fuck?
    "the third documentary"

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

What the fuck?
    "the third documentary"
    "the fourth documentary"

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Spoilers for The Amazing Johnathan Documentary
    So how much of this was a set up?

I feel like the chainsaw juggler could have been called in by Johnathan in order to add some chaos to the whole affair, in one way or another. The second documentary crew, aside from the whole thing where they're not who they say they are, seems suspicious but potentially on the level, but do you think Johnathan knew about that whole not who they say they are thing? I feel like he was more aware than he let on with that one.

Or is this all a crazy set of coincidences and misunderstandings?

• Options

What the fuck?
    "the third documentary"

I shouted at the screen.
    Gustav wrote: »

What the fuck?
    "the third documentary"
    "the fourth documentary"

I joked about this happening before it did and I still shouted at the screen when it did.

• Options
    Spoilers for The Amazing Johnathan Documentary
    So how much of this was a set up?

I feel like the chainsaw juggler could have been called in by Johnathan in order to add some chaos to the whole affair, in one way or another. The second documentary crew, aside from the whole thing where they're not who they say they are, seems suspicious but potentially on the level, but do you think Johnathan knew about that whole not who they say they are thing? I feel like he was more aware than he let on with that one.

Or is this all a crazy set of coincidences and misunderstandings?
    i am thinking johnathan absolutely was inflating the second documentary's credentials based on overhearing they had borrowed the equipment from the man on wire team. he was totally playing it up and pretty much banking on no one calling him out on it, which he was pretty much on money about -- there didn't really seem to be any blowback regarding that flagrant lie. i don't think they ever misrepresented themselves, to be honest. but i absolutely believe johnathan did. they kinda get painted as these shady antagonists solely due to johnathan's deception more than anything.

the third documentary? oh yeah that was johnathan fucking with them. and if the guy wasn't so goddamned nice, i think he woulda realized it at the getgo.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    edited August 2019
    It's the fourth documentary that's maddeningly unclear.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Amazing Johnathan
    I think the fourth documentary was on the level. I think that might be... part of how Johnathan knew how to play everyone else - someone had previously started working on a documentary about him, but it had never come to fruition. Some of his rehearsed answers, some of his bits, essentially, they were being pulled from there.

The trick with the third doc is how prepared it may have been - was there actually any footage to that documentary? I don't recall seeing any there, but I could have missed something. If there was, that's a hell of a set up for a trick that you may never be able to perform.

• Options
    Amazing Johnathan
    I think the fourth documentary was on the level. I think that might be... part of how Johnathan knew how to play everyone else - someone had previously started working on a documentary about him, but it had never come to fruition. Some of his rehearsed answers, some of his bits, essentially, they were being pulled from there.

The trick with the third doc is how prepared it may have been - was there actually any footage to that documentary? I don't recall seeing any there, but I could have missed something. If there was, that's a hell of a set up for a trick that you may never be able to perform.

I kinda wonder
    if he came up with the idea during the fourth documentary

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Amazing Johnathan

I kinda wonder
    I think maybe? Or partially, at least?

Like, the problem is, this whole thing requires documentary filmmakers to be reaching out to him. That's the setup for him to pull off this trick - he needs to have multiple documentary teams reach out to him.

There are ways to encourage that, of course, that's basic mentalism. But he's also working on a potentially very limited time scale.

So I think it's sort of an evolving thing.

If we say that the fourth documentary is on the level (which I think it is), then he does that and he gives some answers and I'm sure he fucks around a bit but overall that's just a straight up documentary.

If we say that the third documentary is on the level (which I don't entirely believe), well, that one feels like it's just someone he might know doing it, someone who travels in the same circles or whatever asks him if there's ever been a documentary about him, he says no, and he gives a bunch of similar answers to the guy who films it, but doesn't really pursue it much further because that's not actually his deal.

Next comes the first documentary, and I think that's where he really starts playing with the formula. He tells the same stories, answers the same questions, but he starts pushing some boundaries, changing how the whole thing is going to work.

And then, when the second documentary gets involved, he starts pitting everyone against each other. Most actively with the first and the second, where he encourages the first to film the second and release afterwards (and may have done the exact opposite with the second), but also by calling back in the third, who hasn't been around but he can invite to a show or whatever fairly easily.

Or maybe it's all a weird coincidence and nobody thought that much about it. But that doesn't sound like magicians to me.

• Options
    man the amazing johnathan documentary has me thinking more than most movies typically do

it's wild

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    man the amazing johnathan documentary has me thinking more than most movies typically do

it's wild

The greatest trick of them all

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Herzog's Nosferatu is incredible and is currently on prime

I need to watch Shadow of the Vampire again. I remember liking it, but it's been so long.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options

it's wild

The greatest trick of them all

and that's the joker's trick

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

i think maybe amazon or shudder

but it is essential viewing

it's werner herzog vs the loch ness monster

the world doesn't deserve herzog

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Love is a urine mirage in a desert of fear.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Love is a urine mirage in a desert of fear.

dare you enter my magical realm?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I don't know how anyone could be an actor. Having a bunch of silent people standing so close just staring at you while you pretend to do things. The attitude you must need is so far from my own experience, it fascinates me.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I love having people watch me.

Not during sexy times though.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Amazing Johnathan

I kinda wonder

Like, the problem is, this whole thing requires documentary filmmakers to be reaching out to him. That's the setup for him to pull off this trick - he needs to have multiple documentary teams reach out to him.

There are ways to encourage that, of course, that's basic mentalism. But he's also working on a potentially very limited time scale.

If we say that the fourth documentary is on the level (which I think it is), then he does that and he gives some answers and I'm sure he fucks around a bit but overall that's just a straight up documentary.

If we say that the third documentary is on the level (which I don't entirely believe), well, that one feels like it's just someone he might know doing it, someone who travels in the same circles or whatever asks him if there's ever been a documentary about him, he says no, and he gives a bunch of similar answers to the guy who films it, but doesn't really pursue it much further because that's not actually his deal.

Next comes the first documentary, and I think that's where he really starts playing with the formula. He tells the same stories, answers the same questions, but he starts pushing some boundaries, changing how the whole thing is going to work.

And then, when the second documentary gets involved, he starts pitting everyone against each other. Most actively with the first and the second, where he encourages the first to film the second and release afterwards (and may have done the exact opposite with the second), but also by calling back in the third, who hasn't been around but he can invite to a show or whatever fairly easily.

Or maybe it's all a weird coincidence and nobody thought that much about it. But that doesn't sound like magicians to me.

I read all these spoilers and holy FUCK I need to watch this film, where is this amazing thing streaming

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Like in a suit at the bottom of the ocean dying suffocating or something versus in a suit floating in deep space suffocating or something.

At least space is basically empty. The ocean is as a fact full of monsters and visibility is much worse.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    Amazing Johnathan

I kinda wonder

I read all these spoilers and holy FUCK I need to watch this film, where is this amazing thing streaming

Hulu.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Amazing Johnathan

I kinda wonder

Hulu.

Excellent.

This discussion has been closed.