As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Workshop now included.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I'd rather have a game with a bad comp but players that are engaged and happy, rather than a game with a full Meta comp but players that are irate and feel pressured into playing a particular hero.

I mean role queue explicitly removes the pressure of playing a particular hero that you don't want to. If you want to play DPS, there's literally zero pressure for you to switch to something else.

Obviously if you're playing Widow and your team thinks you should go Reaper that's gonna suck for you, but I don't see any way to stop that from sometimes happening without just straight up removing character switching, which would be a change for the massively worse.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I'd rather have a game with a bad comp but players that are engaged and happy, rather than a game with a full Meta comp but players that are irate and feel pressured into playing a particular hero.

I mean role queue explicitly removes the pressure of playing a particular hero that you don't want to. If you want to play DPS, there's literally zero pressure for you to switch to something else.

Indeed. I'm saying this is a good thing about Role Queue. I'm also saying I feel there should have been a way to accomplish this without forcing a specific composition. For me, player morale is the number one problem, followed by issues with tank positioning. Composition is pretty far down on my list.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

Indeed. I'm saying this is a good thing about Role Queue. I'm also saying I feel there should have been a way to accomplish this without forcing a specific composition. For me, player morale is the number one problem, followed by issues with tank positioning. Composition is pretty far down on my list.

Ah gotcha, I think I misread.

That being said, it's hard for me to imagine a satisfying and functional role queue system without a role lock to go along with it. I have to believe Blizzard spent a lot of time weighing all the options, and this was most viable one. Role lock solves several problems at once, while introducing very few (and relatively minor, imo) new problems.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Literally my only complaint about role queue is that it should have been the design standard from the start, thus saving a huge amount of time and effort in regards to balance efforts that ultimately proved futile. I'm so much more interested in the game now that each team has to have a balanced mix of roles and you can always rely on having at least two healers and no more than two DPS on your team while never having to worry about three or more tanks on the enemy team.

Obviously if you're playing Widow and your team thinks you should go Reaper that's gonna suck for you, but I don't see any way to stop that from sometimes happening without just straight up removing character switching, which would be a change for the massively worse.

I was immensely harsher on Widow players before the role lock because it seems like there's this huge chunk of the population that plays Widow and nothing else. That's not bad when you've got five other players in appropriate roles, but it very often meant that you had a wholly unnecessary Widow in a 3rd DPS slot dragging down the whole team.

Now I hardly notice because one flex DPS pick + one-trick Widow is usually very workable, aside from the enemy team really doubling down on countering Widow or something. I still find shitty DPS picks/players to the common cause of lost matches, but it's a still a big shift away from "fuck you" players straight sabotaging games with awful 3rd DPS picks.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm seeing many, many more leavers in Competitive move and I don't know why,

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I have to admit, I get almost no complaints about playing Mei now in role queue games. One time someone did complain, said we didn't have enough damage. So I switched to Pharah, but we still lost. Then they complained I picked Pharah, so he was probably just trolling. Otherwise, it has been fine. I've had several teams that actually seemed to know what to do with a Mei around, which has been a nice change of pace.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    it feels like everything is KOTH maps right now, to an insane degree, I'm just so sick of Ilios.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    it feels like everything is KOTH maps right now, to an insane degree, I'm just so sick of Ilios.

so you're... illios

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Last night for the first time I jumped into competitive as a respite from quickplay. I think I might leave quickplay alone until that's 2/2/2 as well.

also, as for brig, I really click with the current incarnation much more than previous versions. have had some very satisfying rounds with her recently. Definitely feels like you don't want to stray too far from the group though. Also starting to get the hang of sigma, have had some really rewarding rounds with him too. Boulder plus the bullet catcher gives me pretty good options vs flankers. Also, the floaty business means I sneak up on people sometimes. Leading a target with a controller is a little tough, but tI'm working on it. His projectively are slooowwww. Still feel like I"m getting my ass handed to me a lot by aggro moiras though. Feel like my only real recourse is unerring accuracy with primary and boulder while fade is on cooldown.

soylenth on
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

Ah gotcha, I think I misread.

That being said, it's hard for me to imagine a satisfying and functional role queue system without a role lock to go along with it. I have to believe Blizzard spent a lot of time weighing all the options, and this was most viable one. Role lock solves several problems at once, while introducing very few (and relatively minor, imo) new problems.

I think they should have first tried enforcing LFG with soft 2-2-2 matchmaking, with the ability for players to role switch as desired. Enforcing a more robust lobby system on Competitive players and giving them more power to curate the team they're comfortable in before committing to a match would go a long way - without railroading players into playing only a specific subset of the roster

That said the only reason I can think of that they didn't publicly trial something like this is that they probably focus tested it and didn't want to extend the theoretical matchmaking-to-game time/work required on the players behalf.

BRIAN BLESSED on
    I'm not entirely clear what you mean by "enforcing LFG with soft 2-2-2 matchmaking". Do you mean a system like current Role Queue Beta, except after you load in you don't have to stay on that role?

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    If so, that would just mean people who want to play DPS would queue as other roles and then switch because it would get them into a game faster.

BionicPenguin on
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I'm not entirely clear what you mean by "enforcing LFG with soft 2-2-2 matchmaking". Do you mean a system like current Role Queue Beta, except after you load in you don't have to stay on that role?

More like the LFG lobby system. Produces a premade group lobby using 2-2-2 format that goes into matchmaking queue afterwards after team members ready up, but doesn't restrict roles on good faith

People who are out to abuse the system or troll fellow team members for the sake of expedience are going to find other ways to abuse the system when options are taken away, it doesn't mean it's not worth a shot for the rest of the pub queue

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular

More like the LFG lobby system. Produces a premade group lobby using 2-2-2 format that goes into matchmaking queue afterwards after team members ready up, but doesn't restrict roles on good faith

People who are out to abuse the system or troll fellow team members for the sake of expedience are going to find other ways to abuse the system when options are taken away, it doesn't mean it's not worth a shot for the rest of the pub queue

That was the argument for 2-2-2 several months ago.

edited August 2019

Good faith is what Blizzard has been using up till now, and it clearly hasn't been working as they'd hoped. Without an enforcement method, all it's going to take is one person not picking the role they signed up for to tilt the rest of the team - and now it's even more frustrating because they're specifically choosing to go against what they'd already agreed to. It's a half measure that, honestly, doesn't actually solve the original problem and also adds new ones. If we lived in a world where teams were consistently cooperative and communicative I'd be totally fine with it, but that's not the world we live in and I don't think a soft-lock would significantly improve that.

Plus with a soft lock you can't have separate role SRs, and it seems that lots of people (myself included) are happy about that specifically.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I honestly don't think most people will miss Tri and Quad DPS like that.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Ugh, I'm all for a Reaper balance pass. I'm reeeeallly sick and tired of matches coming down to which side has a good reaper and which doesn't, because a good Reaper is borderline immortal right now. We don't him to bust up tank rushes anymore, he needs to be tuned back to a reasonable matchup against other DPS. This shit where he can waltz in from any angle, shrug off almost any damage while mowing down whoever he wants, and then phasing away is really fucking old. He soaks WAY too much damage for a DPS at this point, he's far more like an anti-tank tank.

• SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    Kisidan wrote: »
    You really need to bait out the bubble if you want to win against a Zarya as Tracer (at least that's what I've found so far) and... that feels right.

I have also discovered that people are super quick to switch to Brig/Torb/Sym/McCree when you start really messing the team up as Tracer.

I've kind of had to revisit my 'try to main Tracer only' stance in that light. I can usually deal with one of those, but 2+ and I'm just not adding value any more.

Luckily it turns out that Soldier can outrange all those guys really nicely and he can also just pour damage into shields which is always useful.

I mean, anyone wanting to kill Zarya needs to bait out the bubble.

Why is it when I play Zarya nobody shoots my bubbles and I stay low energy all match, but my team can't seem to NOT shoot Zarya bubbles whenever they appear and then we get cut down by a max energy Zarya?

Seriously this happens so often it can't be an accident, Jeff must have a special button designed specificially to fuck me over and force me to be teamed up with trigger happy dunderheads who can't suppress their need the shoot the big shiny bubble.

It was just a thought lol, forget I said anything

Ugh, I'm all for a Reaper balance pass. I'm reeeeallly sick and tired of matches coming down to which side has a good reaper and which doesn't, because a good Reaper is borderline immortal right now. We don't him to bust up tank rushes anymore, he needs to be tuned back to a reasonable matchup against other DPS. This shit where he can waltz in from any angle, shrug off almost any damage while mowing down whoever he wants, and then phasing away is really fucking old. He soaks WAY too much damage for a DPS at this point, he's far more like an anti-tank tank.

I'd be fine with just no headshot damage with him, just to test it.

I think now that we're in 2/2/2 they really should look at damage distance to try and keep a consistent line with distance and difficulty. I've always felt Moira needed 5M reduction considering her lack of hitbox, I think Sigma needs a reduction because you can't lob bombs that consistent behind your punk ass shield (unless they were to bounce back off his own shield, hmmmmm...), and Torb's turret needs to lose 10M.

Syzygy wrote: »
    You really need to bait out the bubble if you want to win against a Zarya as Tracer (at least that's what I've found so far) and... that feels right.

I have also discovered that people are super quick to switch to Brig/Torb/Sym/McCree when you start really messing the team up as Tracer.

I've kind of had to revisit my 'try to main Tracer only' stance in that light. I can usually deal with one of those, but 2+ and I'm just not adding value any more.

Luckily it turns out that Soldier can outrange all those guys really nicely and he can also just pour damage into shields which is always useful.

Why is it when I play Zarya nobody shoots my bubbles and I stay low energy all match, but my team can't seem to NOT shoot Zarya bubbles whenever they appear and then we get cut down by a max energy Zarya?

Seriously this happens so often it can't be an accident, Jeff must have a special button designed specificially to fuck me over and force me to be teamed up with trigger happy dunderheads who can't suppress their need the shoot the big shiny bubble.

Instead of bubbling when you expect damage, bubble when there is already damage incoming. in other words, don't preemptively bubble. Bubble when they commit to attacking you.

Oh I think I get it. I never actually tried to use the LFG system. I'm not sure what the point is, in a game that already has a functioning matchmaking system built in. For me all it managed to do was muddy the waters when trying to determine if you are up against a premade, actually-knows-each-other team or not.

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    spent 10 minutes waiting to match as dps last night

got in, controller was at like 1% so i went to switch controllers real fast

meant to turn of controller but turned off xbox instead

couldn't log back in

banned from comp for another 10 minutes

perfect

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »

Instead of bubbling when you expect damage, bubble when there is already damage incoming. in other words, don't preemptively bubble. Bubble when they commit to attacking you.

Also if you're energy hunting sometimes it helps to bubble yourself and then jump in front of teammates being focused.

Dragkonias wrote: »

Also if you're energy hunting sometimes it helps to bubble yourself and then jump in front of teammates being focused.

yeah this is one reason she pairs so well with Rein - just hang out behind him, then when they start shield-breaking rush ahead of his shield, bubble up, get instant 40 energy

yeah this is one reason she pairs so well with Rein - just hang out behind him, then when they start shield-breaking rush ahead of his shield, bubble up, get instant 40 energy

Also let your Rein know that he can move up and take a few swings, then bubble him when he does. You know they're gonna shoot him. Boom, there's another 40. Now you're at high charge and anyone that wants to push up on you can get lasered.

• sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Anyone else getting a ton of throwers and leavers? Over the past week, it’s been about 35% of my games with obvious throwers and about 15% leavers (out of 53 games).

Also let your Rein know that he can move up and take a few swings, then bubble him when he does. You know they're gonna shoot him. Boom, there's another 40. Now you're at high charge and anyone that wants to push up on you can get lasered.

Yup. When I first started watching Harbleu stream, this was his bread-and-butter combo and once I internalized it my Zarya play instantly improved.

Placements have sucked ass this week, every damn escort or hybrid comes down to Bastion cheese with Orisa and Sigma in the last thirty seconds, and it’s incredibly frustrating to own a match until the last thirty seconds but you just can’t get Reaper and junkrat to break barriers and outdamage that stupid robot piece of shit when he’s getting heals and self healing. At least throw me a damn bone and let Orisas halt move Bastion in turret mode or adjust his numbers to work in a place where you now can’t just overpower with DPS anymore.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    People might be more willing to half-ass and mess around in Comp atm because of the beta season.

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I guess I must have been carried by my team in the past, 1-4 for both tank and support placements. Dropped from mid-gold to high silver, averaging 1800 across the two. Doing DPS placements still but not optimistic here.

• SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    If I could get a Rein yeah that'd be a rat way to get fast energy, but everyone and their grandmother are on a Sigma binge it seems.

The only problem with not preemptively bubbling is by the time people start to take damage I usually only have a fraction of a second to react before they straight die on the spot as they get focused fired to death, and with the way the game loooooooves to soft-lock my bubble target to people who are standing directly behind me or my side instead of whomever is in my reticule, I end up with a lot of wasted bubble.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    have you tried messing with your zarya bubble sensitivity?

uc3ufTB.png
    If I could get a Rein yeah that'd be a rat way to get fast energy, but everyone and their grandmother are on a Sigma binge it seems.

The only problem with not preemptively bubbling is by the time people start to take damage I usually only have a fraction of a second to react before they straight die on the spot as they get focused fired to death, and with the way the game loooooooves to soft-lock my bubble target to people who are standing directly behind me or my side instead of whomever is in my reticule, I end up with a lot of wasted bubble.

You can definitely preemptively bubble others as they push in or find themselves in sticky situations, you just shouldn't be doing it for yourself if you can help it. Remember that there's very little in the game that can kill a full-health Zarya before she has time to use her bubble (and also that bubble cleanses everything so you can get out of Mei freeze, anti-heal, whatever).

I will also say that in all my Zarya time (which isn't insubstantial) it's rare that I bubble someone I didn't mean to, so you may need to check your settings or your general bubbling habits.

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I guess I must have been carried by my team in the past, 1-4 for both tank and support placements. Dropped from mid-gold to high silver, averaging 1800 across the two. Doing DPS placements still but not optimistic here.

did my dps placements just to finish it out and see where i placed and ended up 200 SR higher than the others and made gold so.... hell if I know. I've played well over 400 hours on tanks and supports combined and ignored dps basically since the game came out, so it's a little...i guess, disappointing and surprising? that dps ended up in gold (if only barely) and my mains ended up in silver.

• KisidanKisidan Registered User regular
    I believe that the first 5 matches you play after placements also have huge SR swings; they just start you off earning it where you can see it, basically.

I believe that the first 5 matches you play after placements also have huge SR swings; they just start you off earning it where you can see it, basically.

that's messed up, and reminds me of that poor idea in earlier seasons of "hey fam we deliberately placed you lower to encourage you to play more even though you're now disheartened by your low ranking you don't really want to play comp anymore"

In seeing people play roles just to play the game quicker (I'm sure we've all had Battle Moira and Hog played in our placements now by people who clearly are DPS players who just didn't want to wait the longer wait time for DPS lock), I think the best thing to do would make it 8 placements per role, BUT you are rewarded the original amount of points before the smaller seasons and it's based on your highest role rank. So we won't have people bumming the other roles just for gold gun points, you can be what you want and not get in the way of others. At this point in the game's lifespan just let people have the gold gun points, it doesn't mean anything.

TexiKen wrote: »

that's messed up, and reminds me of that poor idea in earlier seasons of "hey fam we deliberately placed you lower to encourage you to play more even though you're now disheartened by your low ranking you don't really want to play comp anymore"

In seeing people play roles just to play the game quicker (I'm sure we've all had Battle Moira and Hog played in our placements now by people who clearly are DPS players who just didn't want to wait the longer wait time for DPS lock), I think the best thing to do would make it 8 placements per role, BUT you are rewarded the original amount of points before the smaller seasons and it's based on your highest role rank. So we won't have people bumming the other roles just for gold gun points, you can be what you want and not get in the way of others. At this point in the game's lifespan just let people have the gold gun points, it doesn't mean anything.

They did that so that people would actually climb like they wanted. Everyone complained about being at the same level and just going back and forth around it (which means you're at your true skill level) but no one wanted any of that. So then they put you a bit lower so you'd get that good feeling of climbing the ranks.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    My uneducated guess is that the placement matches make heavy use of personal performance metrics, biased towards your previous SR or QP's hidden SR. The idea that match outcomes alone can be used to place someone in 5 games is ludicrous.

• sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular

did my dps placements just to finish it out and see where i placed and ended up 200 SR higher than the others and made gold so.... hell if I know. I've played well over 400 hours on tanks and supports combined and ignored dps basically since the game came out, so it's a little...i guess, disappointing and surprising? that dps ended up in gold (if only barely) and my mains ended up in silver.

I also found my dps SR is now consistently my highest. Part is due to a lot of completely incompetent dps (meaning my decent presence is a major upgrade) and part is the carry potential.

Some is that many dps players don’t see peeling as part of their role, thus making those playing Mei, McCree, etc. failing to help their healers.

For example, as Mei, I generally ward off flankers and wall off poorly positioned enemies, rather than going on long flanks that expose my team to a reaper or trace. While this reduces my damage stats, it enables my tanks to get free kills on walled off enemies and keeps my supports alive. This playstyle relies heavily on gamesense (head on a swivel), timing, and icicle accuracy, but it is super effective and hard for disorganized teams to counter.

This discussion has been closed.