As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - #sponsored

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - #sponsored

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• JortalusJortalus Registered User regular
    The theme of the past three comics has gotten a laugh out of me every single time. Instant classics.

• FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    Do they really NEED the money from those guys anyway? They already make a lot, right?

• KutsopKutsop Registered User new member
    Not sure if this is actually sponsored or not, but it got me to check out Blue Mountain for the first time. It looks pretty cute!

• TheSchaefTheSchaef Registered User regular
    No Hoops and Yo-Yo, 2/10

(yes, I know they're Hallmark characters)

• MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Even the copyright - hah!

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Do they really NEED the money from those guys anyway? They already make a lot, right?
    Penny Arcade is many times larger than Blue Mountain eCard.

The various PAXes has brought them from kinda rich to fuck you rich. The website seams more like a hobby in comparison.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    The gold chains are a nice touch as well.

• Dark080matterDark080matter CrateriaRegistered User regular
    This is some tasteful continuity. Hope we get a 'cast from this cycle.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

The various PAXes has brought them from kinda rich to fuck you rich. The website seams more like a hobby in comparison.

I always love when people post opinion in a very factual manner. What evidence do you have of their cash flow and balance other than "well, I'm not in that business or in fact run any sort of business, but that's what *I* think"?

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hmm, looks like someone may have called it.
    dennis wrote: »

I always love when people post opinion in a very factual manner. What evidence do you have of their cash flow and balance other than "well, I'm not in that business or in fact run any sort of business, but that's what *I* think"?

Didn't someone at a PAX Q&A, a recent one like a year or two ago, write in a question where they declared that Jerry and Mike made so much money they basically didn't need to work anymore? Their response was the absolute negation of that assertion.

Mike - That is not true.
    Jerry - If I did not have to work any more, then I would not work any more.
    Mike - I would stay home and draw children's books.

H9f4bVe.png
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Would have liked a hotlink.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    these are my favourite three comics in a long time

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah put a check in the box for "great comics I enjoyed greatly". If only to explain to people what blue mountain is.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Man I've been getting Blue Mountain e-cards from my dad for nearly 2 decades, because he thinks it's hilarious to get the website to read a terrible script out loud.

Which it probably was once.

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Hmm, looks like someone may have called it.

Didn't someone at a PAX Q&A, a recent one like a year or two ago, write in a question where they declared that Jerry and Mike made so much money they basically didn't need to work anymore? Their response was the absolute negation of that assertion.

Mike - That is not true.
    Jerry - If I did not have to work any more, then I would not work any more.
    Mike - I would stay home and draw children's books.

Maybe we're just looking at this wrong. Maybe to zepherin, "fuck you rich" means only having to eat at Little Caesar's once a week.

• John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    I get the impression that they live a very comfortable lifestyle just seeing their homes in single-income families (to the best of my knowledge). However, plenty of employees have left PA and that's gotta be something to do with compensation and they've never struck me as the "screw everyone else, I've got mine" type of employer. They make $, but the business isn't throwing out $150k salaries to warehouse workers on up because it doesn't generate that kind of revenue.

I think ReedPop runs the conventions now due to the scope and number of them, so that's even more off the top when Reed gets its cut.

Also, yes, my definition of silly goose rich is probably very different than someone else's.

edited August 2019
    I get the impression that they live a very comfortable lifestyle just seeing their homes in single-income families (to the best of my knowledge). However, plenty of employees have left PA and that's gotta be something to do with compensation and they've never struck me as the "screw everyone else, I've got mine" type of employer. They make $, but the business isn't throwing out $150k salaries to warehouse workers on up because it doesn't generate that kind of revenue.

I think ReedPop runs the conventions now due to the scope and number of them, so that's even more off the top when Reed gets its cut.

Also, yes, my definition of silly goose rich is probably very different than someone else's.

Yeah. Our family is near $200k/year income, which compared to the family I grew up in is "fuck you" money. I had plenty of free and reduced lunches going to school, and got about as much FAFSA as you can get for college. And it would still be FY money, if I lived the same sort of lifestyle in the same area I grew up. But I live in the first ring suburb of a big city. And we max out our retirement accounts (both 401k and Roth IRAs). We send our kids to a private Montessori school. We have a modest non-McMansion home, but we put money into remodeling it. We keep a decent emergency fund, but we probably eat out too much. We both buy boring card used, and mine is a 2006 model. We spend a couple of grand on vacations a year, but really that's just to drag us and the kids to visit family in another state. And I'm splurging on PAX Unplugged this year for the first time (my first vacation for just me in at least 12 years, and the first away from the kids in 6 years), but I'm also trying to stuff as many friends into our hotel room to pinch those pennies. The only time I have ever flown non-coach has been when my company (and really, their client) pays for it, or I got some really cheap upgrade option.

All of the above TMI is just to say this: if I got fired and stayed out of work for six months, we'd be facing some hard choices. Especially once we started having to pay for our own insurance/medication. Being middle class (even upper middle class) isn't even in the same ball park as being truly rich. It affords you a nice lifestyle, but is a quantum step down from being able to escape from the hamster wheel.

If you wanted to, you can scrimp and save and be fairly well off once you're of retirement age. A friend of mine from college has actually done just that, and is retiring in his mid 40s with a nice city pension. He's single with no children and has always been pretty frugal (well, apart from the McMansion and the new trucks). But even with that, he's going to need to get a part time job while he's in retirement, or that money will run out by the time he's at "normal" retirement age.

dennis on
  • MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Ralph Wiggum would approve of that card.

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
    Khoo had once said (I believe it was on reddit) he was going to make Jerry and Mike millionaires.

What is the definition of fuck you rich? Millionaires, billionaires?

The conventions cost a lot to run. Even small cons can run half a mill to run. Larger ones get into the mill six range in costs (insurance is sooo much money). However packing it fully and putting many vendors into booths (at 800-3600 a pop) is a good way to come out ahead.

• John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    I figure that's what happened for Khoo. Made a fortune he considered large enough to take a break/semi retire because he doesn't have kids. It wouldn't surprise me if PA is owned roughly in 1/3rds between Mike, Jerry, and Khoo taking the smaller share to give M&J control. Robert gets his ownership draws and chills. Sounds better to me than working 16+ hour days like he was around PAX time.

I hope he's doing well. His twitter is basically in radio silence apart from saying thanks to people leaving PA so I don't have a clue what he's up to.

Khoo had once said (I believe it was on reddit) he was going to make Jerry and Mike millionaires.

The conventions cost a lot to run. Even small cons can run half a mill to run. Larger ones get into the mill six range in costs (insurance is sooo much money). However packing it fully and putting many vendors into booths (at 800-3600 a pop) is a good way to come out ahead.

Let's talk about something else Khoo once said (about PAX):
    Us? We strive to break even each and every year. I won't lie to you, the cost to run the show is terrifying. I've done it for four years straight, and even now every time I see the expense lines, my skin crawls. To give you an idea, the rent alone for the center is well into the six figures.... but the real killer is electricity!

I'll take that over random guy on the internet who Knows The Truth.

Us? We strive to break even each and every year. I won't lie to you, the cost to run the show is terrifying. I've done it for four years straight, and even now every time I see the expense lines, my skin crawls. To give you an idea, the rent alone for the center is well into the six figures.... but the real killer is electricity!

The Real truth is the friends you made along the way.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2019

I appreciate the sentiment, but don't really need you to be in these threads wildly swinging at people.

Tube on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah put a check in the box for "great comics I enjoyed greatly". If only to explain to people what blue mountain is.

Yeah. I just think coffee when I see blue mountain but apparently this is a thing. it's also been around forever. heh.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Blue Mountain eCard was worth $780 million at one point in history because it was on-line

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    ah, the heady days of the dot-com bubble.
    do they have a url? throw money at them!

• shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    I don't bee-lieve you. Sorry for the pun.