As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crusader Kings III: You Can Steal the Pope's Hat

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    So I just started playing, and most stuff is self explanatory, if super complex. Got stuck in the tutorial when my army refused to embark on a pretty big navy (like 20 cogs or so?)

You need 1 cog for every 100 troops

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Huh. maybe I didn't have enough.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Also, your for troops to embark (in friendly territory), your boats need to be in the harbour rather than out at sea. So make sure you directed your boats to a province and have them really hug that coastline rather than being out at sea.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I lost the Leon tutorial scenario because I told the Pope to fuck off when he wanted to appoint my Bishops. Then he excommunicated me and had France war dec me over it. Game over when a 12k stack wanders into my capital. :+1:

You need like 45 cogs to move that army to the Canary Islands. They want you to buy some of those mercenary companies.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    You can also split your army up and transport in groups if you don't have enough ships for one big army stack

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    I lost the Leon tutorial scenario because I told the Pope to fuck off when he wanted to appoint my Bishops. Then he excommunicated me and had France war dec me over it. Game over when a 12k stack wanders into my capital. :+1:

You need like 45 cogs to move that army to the Canary Islands. They want you to buy some of those mercenary companies.

I bought 2 sets of cogs, so not enough

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    YOU MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL COGS

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    YOU MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL COGS

That's more of a Europa Universalis thing, isn't it?

In Crusader Kings you either build shipyards, hope your vassals build shipyards, or hire merc fleets, but never actually build the ships themselves.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Also be careful, upkeep on ships is pretty crazy, I always disband them after transporting

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    In CK2 they're galleys anyway

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Also be careful, upkeep on ships is pretty crazy, I always disband them after transporting

An exception exists for pagans that have a sea based focus. Makes a huge difference when ships only have 10% of the normal maintenance given that you need them around longer for raiding.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular

I always start in Ireland. Small and isolated, just slowly fabricate claims until you're the King. With some more fabrication or some marriages, work your way over to Great Britain...

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I haven't tried an Irish start since the update added a bunch more counties. I'm curious if it's harder than it used to be.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    ASimPerson wrote: »

I always start in Ireland. Small and isolated, just slowly fabricate claims until you're the King. With some more fabrication or some marriages, work your way over to Great Britain...

Haesteinn in the 867 start is great too, you start out with good stats and event troops and ships

• Options
    I think I am just going to stop the tutorial and try to learn as I play, with any big questions coming here.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I think I am just going to stop the tutorial and try to learn as I play, with any big questions coming here.

The answer to almost any question is probably "Murder".

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    One of the issues now is that ck2 has so much dlc, that some answers rely on what you have turned on.

One thing to consider is that Council is essentially a difficulty modifier:
    It allows you to do less, or get penalties for what you could freely do before.
    And so is Reapers Due, as it deaccelerates things and makes your plans crumble.

One of the things to keep in mind:
    There are periods in this game where little happens. High Speed through!

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »

"Seduce" works too

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    So I recently started playing this again, and I'm trying to get the Iron Crown of Lombardy achievement. I haven't played since the Byzantine Empire DLC so I am pretty confused by a lot of the changes. I started as the count of capua in the old gods start and I've worked my way up into the kingdom of Romangia. I'm catholic and I have de Jure on the papacy. Rome looks pretty good to me with all these holdings and a great work. How many levies do I need to take the papacy? He can't call crusades on me if I'm catholic right?

Also what the heck do you have to do to become an elector in the HRE? Is it cultural? Or DLC locked? I saw that they are certain duchies, so I fabricated claims and took over one of the prince-bisphorics, appointed my guy successor and... the elector just moved somewhere else. Also I can't nominate myself for HRE through faction for some reason.

Assuming I keep playing what are good DLCs to get next time there is a big sale?
    I have Sword of Islam, Old Gods, and the Byzantine Empire one. Also ruler designer which annoys me since you basically can't use it and get cheevos.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited August 2019
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Assuming I keep playing what are good DLCs to get next time there is a big sale?
    I have Sword of Islam, Old Gods, and the Byzantine Empire one. Also ruler designer which annoys me since you basically can't use it and get cheevos.

The Republic - Adds playable merchant republics like Venice
    Sunset Invasion - Adds alt-history Aztec invasion, note this is kind of a gimmick DLC and most play with it off.
    Horse Lords - New nomadic mechanics and playable nomad characters
    Way of Life - CRUCIAL IMO as it adds lots of new RPG mechanics for all characters by way of focuses enabling stuff like Seduction
    Charlemagne - Adds an earlier start and has more playable pagan characters, and, you know, Charlemagne
    Rajas of India - Adds playable Indian characters and religions. Not CRUCIAL but I enjoyed getting out of Europe and playing in India
    Sons of Abraham - Adds playable Jewish characters and events. This will also let you borrow 200 gold from Jewish bankers which can be very useful
    Holy Fury - My personal fav, adds shattered and random worlds letting you play on an even ground with everyone else, but even more than that this is the DLC that enables you to play as a cat (or dog, horse, bear, etc)
    The Reaper's Due - Another fav, adds disease mechanic and supernatural events. This is also the DLC I think which lets you get a pet cat (then deal with dumb peasants that want to kill all the cats)
    Jade Dragon - Adds playable Tibet and China interactions and flavor. Not a must have but I enjoyed snipping eunuchs and sending them off to China. Also adds more casus belli options making it easier to start wars.
    Monks and Mystics - Another personal fav, adds cults and secret societies. Satanism, yay! Lot of fun event chains added to this one
    Conclave - Ever watch Game of Thrones? This adds that small council of the king. It can be great if you game it right by putting dangerous powerful vassals on your council as then they can't plot against you, meaning larger kingdoms and empires can be easier to run. Adds micromanagement but intuitively IMO.

As for your other questions I'm not sure; personally I possessed a bishop and made him an anti pope, then sacrificed the pope for the cheevo; haven't tried it another way yet
    4dPSh85.jpg

Zavian on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Mmm. I think I have that achievement from killing the pope after taking Rome as vikings.
    Holy Fury - My personal fav, adds shattered and random worlds letting you play on an even ground with everyone else, but even more than that this is the DLC that enables you to play as a cat (or dog, horse, bear, etc)

I... Are you serious? How does that even work?

Also how do artifacts work? I assume I can't get them because I don't have some DLC?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Mmm. I think I have that achievement from killing the pope after taking Rome as vikings.

I... Are you serious? How does that even work?

Also how do artifacts work? I assume I can't get them because I don't have some DLC?

Oh yeah I forgot that artifacts were added along with Monks and Mystics, also Bloodlines were added with Holy Fury. You can search for a Smith to create items that give you boosts which are added to your Treasury. You can also get them from raiding and events; Jade Dragon also adds additional artifacts and ways to get them

And with Holy Fury you can create shattered/random worlds; as an Easter Egg, you can keep toggling the Cultures option when creating a shattered world to unlock Animal Kingdom which replaces some cultures with playable animals that even have small stat bonuses (bear gives a personal combat skill boost and let's you devour prisoners)
    13C2oe5.jpg
    MBvpczJ.jpg

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Ed: oops

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @38thDoe if you're willing to do a little digging, you can check steam trades and steamswap for what you don't have. A lot of people bought that bundle to fill holes so you can probably find what you need for under $15 (+ time)

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The animal thing is cosmetic easter egg, unlocked by clicking through the Culture menu 3 or 4 rotaions, but really funny. Seeing Mongolia being ruled by a Dragon Egg (An underage dragon) never gets old.
    Shattered worlds is a whole new game though. It has a lot of randomness settings, up to and including totally random religions and cultures.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

"Seduce" works too

Godfather gave us the sage wisdom of "Leave the gun, take the canoli", in CKII it's "Fuck the rosebush, marry your cousin"

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

"Seduce" works too

Godfather gave us the sage wisdom of "Leave the gun, take the canoli", in CKII it's "Fuck the rosebush, marry your cousin"

Zoroastrians get a positive opinion buff for divine marriage incest

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    I haven't tried an Irish start since the update added a bunch more counties. I'm curious if it's harder than it used to be.

Oof, yeah, I hadn't played in a while (over a year?) and didn't notice the new counties. That will definitely make it at slower at the start.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

"Seduce" works too

One of my all time favourite CK2 rulers tried her best to murder the man who murdered her mother. His intrigue was way higher than hers, so she resorted to seducing everyone worth knowing in the Byzantine Empire to try to drum up support for her plot. Despite the support, her plots kept failing. However, when the Emperor died, it turned out that everyone worth knowing supported her as the new Empress. It all worked out in the end!

Except for the guy who killed her mother. He died in a prison cell, stripped of his titles, blinded, castrated, and insane.

Yay CK2!

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

The big thing people need to be reminded of especially as people jump into the base game with DLC bundles is that Ireland is only newbie island in 1066 and later starts. Earlier start dates have it as viking raid airbnb.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    muderis3_8175.png
    "Seduce" works too

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    I do not play Crusader Kings II, but I feel the need to come into this thread to say that the thread title is cursed

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    I do not play Crusader Kings II, but I feel the need to come into this thread to say that the thread title is cursed

You're missing out on furry cannibal cats
    POxw4ez.png

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

The big thing people need to be reminded of especially as people jump into the base game with DLC bundles is that Ireland is only newbie island in 1066 and later starts. Earlier start dates have it as viking raid airbnb.

Yeah, I do the earliest possible start and I deal with a lot of vikings. The upside is I can do a shitload of raiding in other bits of Ireland, and Wales.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    So when I buy new dlc, that won’t take effect until my next new game right?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Yeah DLC enable/disable settings is set at the start of a game

• Options
    Actually at least some of them appear to apply instantly. When I loaded my game I had the option to declare focus and uh... play chess. I was not good at chess and then I died.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Actually at least some of them appear to apply instantly. When I loaded my game I had the option to declare focus and uh... play chess. I was not good at chess and then I died.

They're auto enabled on the launcher, to disable them you have to disable on launcher first

• Options
    So does that wreck my Ironman game?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    So does that wreck my Ironman game?
    Probably not. Most dlc shouldn't break your game when suddenly enabled, but may cause some weird bugs occasionally

KGMvDLc.jpg?1