As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Productive night tonight. Knocked out a scenario that unlocked a boss scenario for next time...

...or maybe not? Because in doing so, our Spears also achieved his retirement goal. Since we've opened everything now, that got us another random side quest. Oh, and nudged us close enough that we were able to donate our way to Prosperity level 7* (leveling up my freshly-rolled Chtulhu and what would eventually be a Sun from the former Spears player). That also unlocked a mission. And then our city event also unlocked a scenario! We would have had yet another mission unlocked thanks to the chest from tonight's run, except we already had that one from a previous reward (and I'm a little pissed about it since I'm the one who looted the chest).
    If you have the option to unlock 17, do anything else.

We're building up quite the backlog now.

*Worth noting that we're using 1E and haven't adjusted our Prosperity track.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    We've just unlocked a new character...
    It's Saw, haven't played with him yet, just taken a look through the cards. Not sure how good healing is in the game, but some very interesting abilities. Is he any good in people's experiance?

Soon we'll be unlocking envelope X and I'll be retiring SquidFace for Angry Face. Hoping Angry face does damage, as I've enjoyed status effecting people lots, and we've become used to ignoring attacks but looking forward to dealing damage again soon.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Cerberus wrote: »
    It's Saw, haven't played with him yet, just taken a look through the cards. Not sure how good healing is in the game, but some very interesting abilities. Is he any good in people's experiance?

Soon we'll be unlocking envelope X and I'll be retiring SquidFace for Angry Face. Hoping Angry face does damage, as I've enjoyed status effecting people lots, and we've become used to ignoring attacks but looking forward to dealing damage again soon.
    We only unlocked him near the childbirth-induced lapse in my own group's playthrough, but I think his usefulness is directly correlated with how thin your other characters' decks are and how big a hurry you're in. Looked very playable.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options

It's hard for me to gauge that character. The player in charge of him has been available intermittently in recent months and its primary role was almost seamlessly obsoleted by my Notes for a while...
    Heal 2 song is dumb.

• Options
    JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

It's hard for me to gauge that character. The player in charge of him has been available intermittently in recent months and its primary role was almost seamlessly obsoleted by my Notes for a while...
    Heal 2 song is dumb.

Music Notes / Sun spoilers:
    The Retaliate 2 Range 2 song is stupid with Sun's innate + equipment shields. Honestly I think it does more damage than the other 3 members of the party combined.

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • Options
    VerbenaVerbena Registered User regular
    Possibly slightly off topic, but has anyone tried the steam version yet?

Steam - Verbena | 3DS Friend Code - 0576-4430-7964 | Xbox - Verbena Zero
  • Options
    Just seen the expansion is out here.... Need willpower

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Hello Gloomhaven thread, my campaign is getting settled in and semi-regular so I thought I'd drop by.

We're about 5 scenarios in running a Cragheart/Tinker/Spellweaver party and although we've made a few early mistakes none of the first 4 scenarios really threatened or challenged us so we decided to bump the difficulty up for our game last night, and took a fun beating in scenario #4.

Although we lost, the game felt much better, with the extra difficulty adding more tension and requiring greater co-operation and co-ordination. Of course, the reason we lost was we didn't realise that to begin with and charged through the first half of the scenario like our previous cakewalks, mostly competing with each other to get down our kill cards and earn XP. By the time we realised we perhaps should have been more efficient in our card co-ordination, it was predictably too late. But fun was had by all and we're looking forward to continuing on to repeating the scenario again at the higher level.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    So, we just tried...
    the oozing Grove encounter, well, that was horrific.

We also saw two new classes come in...
    Sun retired to become Eclipse, and I retired Cthulu face to unlock Angry face. He seems interesting, able to throw out some high levels of damage. Any tips on cool combos?

• Options
    Played another two scenarios with Angry Face last night and am really enjoying him so far. Our party is Eclipse, Saw and Angry Face. Generally going well, though Saw took a beating in one scenario as the rest of the party are invisible or far away.

I do think I made a mistake with my choice of quest, have have 200 gold one, but my other was have a huge number of items, both unlocked 3 spears. While the equipment one seems harder, at least I get to use the equipment, rather than hoarding gold. Three scenarios in and I have 120, as I didn't spend all my starting gold, the Teleport doom is good for making money.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Although we lost, the game felt much better, with the extra difficulty adding more tension and requiring greater co-operation and co-ordination. Of course, the reason we lost was we didn't realise that to begin with and charged through the first half of the scenario like our previous cakewalks, mostly competing with each other to get down our kill cards and earn XP. By the time we realised we perhaps should have been more efficient in our card co-ordination, it was predictably too late. But fun was had by all and we're looking forward to continuing on to repeating the scenario again at the higher level.

Whoops.
    Tried again last night and I made an early - and fatal - mistake with my Spellweaver, thinking I'd be safe opening a door and withdrawing, but accidentally got turned into a pincushion as the archers moved further and my teammates slower than I accounted for. Stupid mistake; my fault, and so early as to throw off the balance of the scenario for the others.

Unfortunately my group, while still coming within a handful of attacks of winning, have taken this 'two losses in a row' as evidence that +1 difficulty is 'too hard' rather than evidence that I am occasionally an incompetent fool who bites off more than they can chew, and don't particularly want to play at that level again.

*sigh*

I, on the other hand, greatly enjoyed the additional challenge and would dearly love another attempt, although clearly I get the thing where they have now played through that scenario/level twice and a third time falls into the mental category of 'grind' for them as opposed to 'delightful problem to solve' for me.

The compromise position we'll probably come to is keeping the higher difficulty but
    changing scenarios; maybe hit one of the side scenarios for a change of pace.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    bwayzej4vtb8.jpeg

Scenario 7. Thought I’d have some trouble as I only had one loot card that wouldn’t be lost after use but going anti clockwise and just darting in to get the last two chests meant I had plenty of time left. Thought I’d be retiring squidface but it’s been ages since I’ve played and I forgot to put down gold after killing bad guys so I gained precisely zero gold for his quest.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Well, I have this now. The hardest fight begins, getting people together regularly to play.

Does anyone have advice on the following:

1. How important is it to play with the same player group? I can see more easily pulling from a pool of 6 to play depending on the night.
    2. Are two player games problematic? Can definitely play more with 2 than 3 or 4 if I wanted to really frequently play.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    1) It's not, especially if you complete / end one scenario each time and treat it as one big campaign. This does require that people be okay with perhaps permanently missing stuff (e.g., we did Event #7 the week you weren't here, and it'll never come up again). It's easiest if people are all different classes, just to make the bookkeeping easier, but it's not a requiement.
    2) Nope!

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    1) It's not, especially if you complete / end one scenario each time and treat it as one big campaign. This does require that people be okay with perhaps permanently missing stuff (e.g., we did Event #7 the week you weren't here, and it'll never come up again). It's easiest if people are all different classes, just to make the bookkeeping easier, but it's not a requiement.
    2) Nope!

Also, we did event 8 while you weren't here, and that permanently locks us out of doing event 9 that you wanted to do. Sorry!

The biggest thing with switching around players is the modifier decks. Once you start getting perks for your characters that add and remove cards from their deck, it becomes that much more of a hurdle to switch players. If you want to have more than four players, I suggest DIY print and play for some extra modifier decks.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Good point on the modifier decks, yeah.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    By the way there’s a digital version of this in early release on Steam now

• Options
    After ignoring it for the better part of a year, we finally decided to explore Scenario 24 tonight.

That might have been the easiest victory condition I've ever seen. Of course, it helps when one of us is capable of moving 11 spaces in a single round.

Have I mentioned Bolt is dumb? Although she had help thanks to an item we discovered a few weeks ago...
    ROCKET BOOTS, GO!

• Options
    I know I'm late to the party, but I just spent more on storage gear than the game cost.

Also, the Steam game reviewed really, really poorly, which is actually what drove me to get the board game.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm going to miss squidface's ability to just absolutely stack the monster deck with curse cards. Many's the time they whiff on an important shot because he spent ten turns slowly filling up their deck with bullshit.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    I'm going to miss squidface's ability to just absolutely stack the monster deck with curse cards. Many's the time they whiff on an important shot because he spent ten turns slowly filling up their deck with bullshit.

Other classes can be cursetastic too; Notes comes to mind immediately. Although Notes doesn't have the ability to punish them for tripping...

Also bear in mind that the monster deck can only have 10 curses in it. Fortunately the same also holds true for the players, but collectively.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I know I'm late to the party, but I just spent more on storage gear than the game cost.

Also, the Steam game reviewed really, really poorly, which is actually what drove me to get the board game.

It’s very early days for the Steam game, early access in this case is super fucking early

• Options
    Alright, I'm planning to play the first scenario and maybe second with my partner. Then they'll be out of town, and I'll drop back to the first scenario to play some more with other friends. You leave off treasure tiles when repeating a scenario, but otherwise I don't think I'll be denying my partner fun if we get a couple scenarios ahead. Is that maybe right or should I watch out for something?

• Options
    Upon trying to very carefully read without reading spoilers, I think we will house rule that players who complete an already completed scenario, but weren't there for the initial completion, can get any fun "first time beating scenario" rewards.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    My group had our first encounter with oozes. We now understand why the things get such hate.

On the plus side, the Sun class with maximum shields + support song is basically immune to damage. That game, I tanked ten monsters for two rounds and took 6 damage.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    If you want to have more than four players, I suggest DIY print and play for some extra modifier decks.
    Are there rules to play with 5?

• Options
    taoofshinseitaoofshinsei Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    If you want to have more than four players, I suggest DIY print and play for some extra modifier decks.

The official suggestion from the designer is to just increase the scenario level by 2. That said, most of our time spent playing the game was with five, and we only bumped the difficulty level by 1. It still provided a decent challenge, but we lost very few scenarios. It was close enough often enough that the extra difficulty bump would have meant we would have lost a lot more scenarios, and given how infrequently we were getting together to play, we preferred it being a little on the easier side.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »

None I'm aware of.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    My comment was specifically for groups that intended to swap out players from one session to the next. I find the maps a little claustrophobic already with four players, jamming in five would be very tight indeed.

• Options
    Y'know... bosses were a lot more terrifying before Bolt started casually smashing them in the face for 25 damage. This one lasted 5 whole rounds... but wasn't on the map for the first two.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Sun + Songnote is a fantastic combination. "Hey, bro, I heard you like shields, so I got you some shields to go with your shields." At one point tonight I was tanking 9 mobs and taking < 3 damage a round.

gavindel on
    Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Started playing this a little bit ago with a group. It's pretty good! We've managed our way through 3 scenarios so far. I'm playing the Scoundrel, and we have a Mind Thief, a Spellweaver, and a Tinkerer. So far I seem to be having to tank more than I'd like to, but I guess it's better than letting the Spellweaver eat those hits.

Any advice for a new Scoundrel? Hit and run seems to not work out since I need to draw fire from the even squishier members of the party, so I'm not sure what I need to do to be more effective given I've got some of the highest HP in the party.

• Options
    Orca wrote: »
    Started playing this a little bit ago with a group. It's pretty good! We've managed our way through 3 scenarios so far. I'm playing the Scoundrel, and we have a Mind Thief, a Spellweaver, and a Tinkerer. So far I seem to be having to tank more than I'd like to, but I guess it's better than letting the Spellweaver eat those hits.

Any advice for a new Scoundrel? Hit and run seems to not work out since I need to draw fire from the even squishier members of the party, so I'm not sure what I need to do to be more effective given I've got some of the highest HP in the party.

The best defense is a good offense. They can't hit you if they're dead before they activate. Prioritize and focus on individual threats (your AoE options at this point are awful anyway) and stay out of retaliation range whenever possible.

Don't open a door without a plan on how to deal with whatever is on the other side.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Played this with some friends over the weekend. Came up against scenario 48

Jeez this was hard. We all got shot full of curses in 2 rounds.

Party was Eclipse, Sun, Bonesaw and Bear.

I managed to do half damage to him and put a few curses in the monster deck before my eclipse had to bow out.

One curse appeared for the boss and we managed to finish him off because if it but we’d have died next turn if that wasn’t the case

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Scenario 4. We split the party and I got knocked out early (by 3 or 4 turns) due to having to burn cards to avoid dying after I made a beeline to murder the healers and occupy the ranged folks, and that damned mindthief decided he'd rather stay invisible by scumming his invisibility card than split the fire. Bah! The spellweaver and tinkerer hung back and dealt with a big pile of the melee folks.

Oh well. At least I managed to use my (new!) level 2 card a whole bunch, and properly used smoke bomb for the first time EVER--as well as found a use for that range 2 loot card for the first time ever. Not the worst thing.

I'm pretty sure the party spellweaver now hates me because that's two treasure chests I've looted that she hasn't, and she is all about the loot.
    Got the ring of skulls which is amazing as a one-time setup when I want something to die the next turn, and now the ram helmet, which will be a handy situational attack benefit

I should probably let her get the next one before she kills me. <.<

• Options
    IIRC you have to split the party on 4 and it is a pain in the ass.

You can't be invisible two full rounds in a row. You can simulate that by ghosting out early one turn and acting as late as possible the next, but you can't have a condition re-applied to you while you are already under its effect. If you vanish in round 1 you have to be visible again when round 2 ends.

• Options

You can't be invisible two full rounds in a row. You can simulate that by ghosting out early one turn and acting as late as possible the next, but you can't have a condition re-applied to you while you are already under its effect. If you vanish in round 1 you have to be visible again when round 2 ends.

I'll have to pay more attention next time, but I think he was just going invisible, acting late, scum card, go early (and invisible), etc. Either way he wasn't visible for very long most of the while. I, on the other hand, was very visible after my smoke bomb wore off. :)

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

I'll have to pay more attention next time, but I think he was just going invisible, acting late, scum card, go early (and invisible), etc. Either way he wasn't visible for very long most of the while. I, on the other hand, was very visible after my smoke bomb wore off. :)

Yeah like I said it's not hard to keep a cloak up for effectively two rounds but it definitely has its limits. I'm the one playing with invisibility most of the time in my group (starting with Mindthief, then moving on to other fragile classes that would prefer to not be hit) so I'm keenly aware of its limitations.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    We retired our first character. This was after 14 successful scenarios, plus probably 4 or so failed. I'm not positive but I assume we got some harder to complete retirement goals.

The friend who retired isn't in love with their unlock option unfortunately, so there's some debate over what to do next. One of our other plays got a retirement goal that's pretty easy to keep from completing and is debating whether to push to retirement or keep playing what is an increasingly powerful character.