As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dem Primary: There Are Too Many Candidates Nowadays, Please Eliminate Twenty

enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
edited August 2019 in Debate and/or Discourse
Democrats are still running for president in 2020, not 2016. Don't talk about 2016!

What's Changed Since the Last OP?

Basically nothing! We had a second debate and no one really changed their minds. Harris' first debate bounce has faded. The only real movement is Warren's tortoise campaign slowly grinding on and gaining on people.

The Frontrunner

Is still Joe Biden. We don't like him very much, but that's what's going on. Joe is strong with moderates, old people, and black people. He's weak with liberals and the youth vote. He keeps saying stuff that's wrong. Today's edition: misidentifying the decade that King and RFK were assassinated in, saying Warren's criminal justice plan sounds like his 1994 crime bill when Warren explicitly wants to repeal the 1994 crime bill.

Campaign's reason Joe Biden should be president: Because he was Barack Obama's Vice President and y'all love Obama right?

Second Place FIGHT

Are the two candidates with significant backing in D&D: Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders.

Elizabeth Warren is narrowly ahead of Sanders in the average right now so we'll talk about her first. Warren has a whole bunch of plans. Like, lots of them. They're very detailed and all interlocking. Warren is strongest with white educated voters. Especially non-religious ones. It should not be a surprise that she is popular with D&D. Her support is fairly uniform across age groups, but she is not getting much black support at all yet. She also struggles with moderates.

Campaign's reason Elizabeth Warren should be president: Because Washington has been bought off to work for the rich and powerful, and she'll fight to make it work for everybody. Fight being the key word, in their formulation.

Bernie Sanders is running a similar, but somewhat more intersectional campaign to the one he ran in the year that must not be named. After a first debate the campaign wasn't happy with, they have re-centered the campaign on his signature proposal: Medicare For All. Bernie dominates with young voters, only Warren is even vaguely close. Older voters are not fans of his.

Campaign's reason Bernie Sanders should be president: Because he is the leader of a movement that will force Washington to change its ways.

Third tier: They've Got a Chance, but Weak Poll Numbers at the Moment

This is now a group of I'm going to say four.

Kamala Harris has faded back into this group after a brief foray into the top tier after the first debate. She's usually pretty high on the "second choice" metric, but isn't a lot of people's first choice. Also, personally, I feel like she's not running a very good campaign. It's cautious and feels poll/consultant tested more than anything genuine about the candidate.

Campaign's reason Kamala Harris should be president: Because she'd do well on a debate stage opposite Donald Trump? That's the best I can do. It's her core struggle right now, as a number of us have said before.

Pete Buttigieg has a strong fundraising base of millionaires, so he's got that going for him. It hasn't translated into much success in polls, though he does do a little better in the early states, especially Iowa (midwesterners like midwesterners, a time honored truth). He has almost literally no support from people of color. Any color. But especially black voters. And you cannot win a Democratic primary without black voters.

Campaign's reason Pete Buttigieg should be president: Because old people have fucked everything up so we should try a new generation.

Cory Booker feels like he should be a good candidate on paper. Young, charismatic, liberal on most issues. But he's struggled to make headway, possibly because of his previous statements frustrated with Obama 2012 attacking private equity? It hasn't come across, but he's a lower tier candidate who it seems like could catch fire.

Campaigns reason Cory Booker should be president: Because he was supposed to be Obama before Obama, dammit!

Beto O'Rourke took a lengthy break from the campaign trail following the El Paso shooting. During that break, he re-discovered what made him a Democratic darling in 2018. He's really, really good at speaking off the cuff with moral clarity. "Members of the press: what the fuck?" to quote one example. His campaign has struggled to build on early strong fundraising and is just kind of sitting there, but another candidate you could see catch fire.

Fourth tier: I guess they've qualified for the next debate too

These candidates aren't winning the nomination, but they have 130k donors and 2% in four qualifying polls, so they get to be on stage for the next debate (9/12 and maybe 9/13 on ABC).

Amy Klobuchar could be VP on the right ticket, I guess. Minnesotans really like her and she'd probably be an asset in the upper Midwest.

Andrew Yang is a single issue candidate (UBI) with a ton of fans on 4Chan and that creeps me the fuck out. Go away.

Julian Castro just qualified for the debate today. I like him a lot, but not enough other Democrats do. He's another person who might be an attractive VP option, and is in fact my preferred VP.

Fifth tier: Not qualified for the debate, but might get there

Tom Steyer is a billionaire trying to buy his way in instead of using that money on useful things like funding state legislative candidates.
Has donors, has 3 qualifying polls

Tulsi Gabbard is a fraud but talks a lot about being anti-war so has some support.
Has donors, has 1 qualifying poll

Sixth tier: Other people
Exist.

Jay Inslee is running a climate campaign and trying to force that issue to the forefront everywhere possible.
Steve Bullock should be running for Senate in Montana instead of this nonsense.
Kirsten Gillibrand
MIchael Bennet
Marianne Williamson
Bill deBlasio
Tim Ryan
Seth Moulton
Wayne Messam
John Delaney
Joe Sestak
I think I'm missing one or two, but honestly who cares.

We also have a climate change town hall on CNN on September 4th that is NOT a debate but rather consecutive appearances by the candidates. Everybody through Castro I think will get invited to that. I'm not entirely sure about Castro, but the other nine for sure.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
enlightenedbum on

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Has Williamson actually dropped out?

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Has Williamson actually dropped out?

No, only HIckenlooper's gone. But I'm choosing to ignore basically everyone who has no chance of qualifying for the next debate.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    OH HI, IT'S A NEW THREAD

OVERALL YOU GUYS ARE DOING A REASONABLY GOOD JOB AT NOT BEING GARBAGE MONSTERS AND MAKING THIS THREAD INTO SOMETHING THE MODS WANT TO GRIND INTO MULCH AND SET ON FIRE, YAY YOU

THE LAST BIT OF THE PREVIOUS THREAD KIND OF MEANDERED A BIT, SO LET'S TRY TO FOCUS A BIT AND KEEP THIS THING AROUND

ALSO I JUST REALIZED I WROTE THIS WHOLE THING IN ALL-CAPS, BUT I'M TOO LAZY TO REWRITE IT, SORRY FOR SCREAM-POSTING AT YOU

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    OH HI, IT'S A NEW THREAD

OVERALL YOU GUYS ARE DOING A REASONABLY GOOD JOB AT NOT BEING GARBAGE MONSTERS AND MAKING THIS THREAD INTO SOMETHING THE MODS WANT TO GRIND INTO MULCH AND SET ON FIRE, YAY YOU

THE LAST BIT OF THE PREVIOUS THREAD KIND OF MEANDERED A BIT, SO LET'S TRY TO FOCUS A BIT AND KEEP THIS THING AROUND

ALSO I JUST REALIZED I WROTE THIS WHOLE THING IN ALL-CAPS, BUT I'M TOO LAZY TO REWRITE IT, SORRY FOR SCREAM-POSTING AT YOU

IT'S NO PROBLEM AT ALL I APPRECIATE THE ENTHUSIASM! GO TEAM PENNY ARCADE!

I ate an engineer
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    AAAAAHHHHH DEMOCRACY

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I just want to mention EB asked for thread title suggestions and I offered up "Dem Primary: Which Candidate Has 2020 Vision?"

Because if I'm going to make a pun like that I'm going to nail myself to it and make sure all the world beholds it.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I thought someone besides Hickenlooper was out too?

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I just want to mention EB asked for thread title suggestions and I offered up "Dem Primary: Which Candidate Has 2020 Vision?"

Because if I'm going to make a pun like that I'm going to nail myself to it and make sure all the world beholds it.

I was proud of myself for not responding to that suggestion by banning Raiden from the discord.

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    OH HI, IT'S A NEW THREAD

0*XUqoVTLGQsYacXs_

"Ah, Seriously..."

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Coincidentally, "DOING A REASONABLY GOOD JOB AT NOT BEING A GARBAGE MONSTER" is Biden's new campaign slogan

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    OH HI, IT'S A NEW THREAD

IT'S NO PROBLEM AT ALL I APPRECIATE THE ENTHUSIASM! GO TEAM PENNY ARCADE!

I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!
    (ALTERNATE THREAS TITLE)

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Like a few other people, I’m on the same place with Bernie and Warren’s plans criminal justice reform. Both are lacking in a plan to decriminalize sex work, and they should be asked about that. They’ve maybe answered some questions about it in a noncommittal way in the past, but their published plans don’t address the issue in any way.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Like a few other people, I’m on the same place with Bernie and Warren’s plans criminal justice reform. Both are lacking in a plan to decriminalize sex work, and they should be asked about that. They’ve maybe answered some questions about it in a noncommittal way in the past, but their published plans don’t address the issue in any way.
    I can see them being convinced / coming around on it, at the same time. Other candidates I feel are more foot-planted-on-ground about it.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

IDK about Warren but Sanders has weaseled on it with the idea that he's "open to it". Not good enough.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited August 2019
    Henroid wrote: »
    I can see them being convinced / coming around on it, at the same time. Other candidates I feel are more foot-planted-on-ground about it.

Harris and Booker publicly support decriminalizing sex work
    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/dominicholden/sex-work-legalize-2020-presidential-candidates

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/dominicholden/sex-work-legalize-2020-presidential-candidates
    That's very good. I'm not a single-issue voter though and the rest of their platforms and history in government doesn't add up for me.

Odds are Warren and Sanders would more easily come around on this than Booker and Harris coming around on the myriad of problems I have with them.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

I would like to point out that my suggestion was "Dem Primary: I'm Barbara Walters"

Everybody ignored me.

I would like to point out that my suggestion was "Dem Primary: I'm Barbara Walters"

Everybody ignored me.
    Holy shit that one is brilliant.

• Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I don't get it.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Oooooohhhhhh because because the show is called 20/20.

Yea that's clever.

• ClipseClipse Registered User regular

Have any candidates actually said what they'd do about decriminalizing sex work? As far as I can tell, the federal laws pertaining to sex work don't explicitly ban sex work, but focus on: stuff close to military bases, crossing state lines, anything with minors, and sex trafficking. Of those, the first and second might be worth reconsidering (probably to minimal effect), and the third and fourth seem pretty important to keep in effect. Short of passing a constitutional amendment barring states from criminalizing sex work (good fucking luck), what can actually be done here?

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Clipse wrote: »

Have any candidates actually said what they'd do about decriminalizing sex work? As far as I can tell, the federal laws pertaining to sex work don't explicitly ban sex work, but focus on: stuff close to military bases, crossing state lines, anything with minors, and sex trafficking. Of those, the first and second might be worth reconsidering (probably to minimal effect), and the third and fourth seem pretty important to keep in effect. Short of passing a constitutional amendment barring states from criminalizing sex work (good fucking luck), what can actually be done here?

To be fair, that's true of a lot of policy that presidential candidates talk about and that people ask presidential candidates about. It's a part of the problem with over-focusing on the Presidential race and ignoring how much of this shit is a state-level (and occasionally local-level) issue.

That said, the presidency is a powerful rhetorical tool so people like to see where their potential nominee stands on these issues regardless of what level of government they are actually in the hands of.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    EDIT: never mind.

Commander Zoom on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    edit: fair enough, deleted for taste.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Don’t make fun of people’s speech impediments

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    As someone who is super progressive compared to most people I know in real life but a clear moderate here

Can someone explain to me why decriminalizing sex work should be a priority?

Is there abuse to those laws?

Like I’m not against it in theory. But I would absolutely hate any of my preferred candidates to talk that up at all because it sounds like something that would make most voters bolt

616610-1.png
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    As someone who is super progressive compared to most people I know in real life but a clear moderate here

Like I’m not against it in theory. But I would absolutely hate any of my preferred candidates to talk that up at all because it sounds like something that would make most voters bolt

Honestly the argument is more or less the same as the argument for all kinds of decriminalization efforts. "There's nothing actually wrong with this activity and forcing it into the black market is having serious adverse effects".

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Legalizing it would help in protecting the rights of sex workers, which would help combat exploitation and trafficking. It would allow to set standards for healthy and safety, making it safer for both workers and customers. Speaking as somebody who comes from a country where it is legalized, it won't solve all problems (still a lot of trafficking going on here), but it still is a huge improvement (Amsterdam had a major campaign lately notifying tourists about the rights of sex workers).

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Pretty much every anti sex work or pornography bill for a while has increased sex trafficking in the United States. They're bills based around moralising rather than on getting desired results.

liEt3nH.png
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DZfUzxZ2VU
    This outlines the way that sex laws hurt people. I think you're right that it probably makes most people uncomfortable, but I think people want it as part of a criminal justice reform program, not a candidate's number one issue they talk about all the time.

edited August 2019
    There was a California bill that wanted to put sex workers on a public registry which was the complete fucking opposite of providing them safety. A lot of legislators don't listen to what the concerns are.

Edit - This is just to provide an example of the issue at hand.

Henroid on
  • PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    I wonder why sex work hasn't been brought up more throughout history? Probably too many fires to put out everywhere and religious people would throw another fit.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Phasen wrote: »
    I wonder why sex work hasn't been brought up more throughout history? Probably too many fires to put out everywhere and religious people would throw another fit.

It's also not something that the left has traditionally been unified on. It's an issue with a lot of downsides for a candidate and not much of an upside.

cckerberos.png
  • MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

IDK about Warren but Sanders has weaseled on it with the idea that he's "open to it". Not good enough.

If you expect a candidate for the President of the United States of America to endorse fucking for money you will be forever disappointed

uH3IcEi.png
  • MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Also did Gillibrand drop? She's not mentioned but she's always struck me as pretty useless at anything other than getting good press on Jezebel.

uH3IcEi.png
  • PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »

If you expect a candidate for the President of the United States of America to endorse fucking for money you will be forever disappointed

I expect it will be talked about more going forward as the religious folk die off and the patriarchy wanes. Decriminalization is a good start but I think the previous trap for decriminalization was that selling would not be criminalized but buying would be.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular

I guess forever ended three times this year since three of the current Dem candidates, two of which are in the top 7 in the current polls, have said they'd decriminalize sex work.

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Also did Gillibrand drop? She's not mentioned but she's always struck me as pretty useless at anything other than getting good press on Jezebel.

Still in I believe, she actually has campaign ads running pretty frequently now in Iowa.

• MillMill Registered User regular
    Well if the 538 article on young evangelicals & Trump is anything to go on. Yeah, it's probably going to become more feasible for political campaigns to talk about sex work because in theory you're going to have less assholes that feel that government & faith should be one. A big take away from that article & the one on suburban women in TX that I linked in the last thread is that democrats should really focus on the issues driving people away from Trump & the GOP. One, that doesn't require taking a position that will alienate the base. There seem to be a number of young evangelicals & suburban women that aren't comfortable with Trump's overt racism and the GOP's willingness to go along with it. Though with the 538 article, it also shows why picking up a so-called centrist position could be a fool's errand. There are clearly someone special morons that think the racism is morally wrong, but will begrudgingly back a racist shit lord that swears they'll fight against abortion. Seeing how going anti-abortion isn't really an option, there is zero point in picking up a policy position not liked by the base, if the people in the center still won't come over because their line in the sand is an issue you really can't take up.

Anyways, I wouldn't fault a democratic candidate for not touching issues concerning sex work because there is very little to gain by going there. The asshole right would probably love to go there because then they can do bullshit outrage politics and weasel their way out of having to defend all their shitty policies that actively make everything worse (readily available good jobs with good income, affordable healthcare & affordable childcare strikes me as a fantastic to reduce both abortions & people going into the prostitution business, while every modern GOP policy seems to be designed to ensure those things don't happen). The other thing, is there are several policies the democrats can push for that would indirectly help to improve things in that area.

This discussion has been closed.