As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Secret [Anime] Thread

1939495969799»

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    There were 2 22 ep seasons on Netflix. You got me all excited there for a sec thinking I had more to watch!

But yeah the show rules.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    SZS was always hit or miss, but some of its sketches were great.

I loved how they were always switching things up. Like the EDs which totally changed character designs, or when it shifts gears into like a closed door murder mystery episode, so they recorded all the VAs in the same room so they could talk over each other as they argued over who the killer was.

Isn't all Japanese VA recorded in the same room?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Hello I heard someone mentioned Commodore Perry

https://youtu.be/0Y4dTlgAXbU

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I’m finally committing to watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes (the old one, because it looks better)

I have made it through the two prequel movies and am now at the series proper

So far the things that have impressed me the most are the moments of artistic composition, of storytelling without dialogue (that whole sequence where Lapp proposes, my god) and the nuanced and thoughtful characterization of its cast

I knew I’d love it but damn

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Oh, we discussed the ending series in Jump, but not the new ones.

next week: Yozakura-san Chi no Dai Sakusen by Hitsuji Gondaira - he did the Poro demon comedy thing from last year which was pretty mediocre (lasted 17 chapters)
    Week after: Mitama Secu-Rei-ty by Hatomune Tsurun - previously did A Naked Swan which went for 48 chapters and doesn't look like a typical jump series from the preview image, so I'd expect this series to be something completely different.

Preview image is the right page of these two, I think:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ECFZ64ZXoAMtIOZ.jpg

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I’m finally committing to watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes (the old one, because it looks better)

I have made it through the two prequel movies and am now at the series proper

So far the things that have impressed me the most are the moments of artistic composition, of storytelling without dialogue (that whole sequence where Lapp proposes, my god) and the nuanced and thoughtful characterization of its cast

I knew I’d love it but damn

You might want to look up PopArena's video essays on it on YouTube as a supplement.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    and olivaw was never heard from again

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    crwth wrote: »
    i mean it seemed like there was? i dunno it’s all one long season on CR but i’ve seen two episodes with no next episode preview so that’s why i say s3

i could be way off

There's I wanna say 2 seasons and 2 ovas

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    There arent any OVA's for Sengatsu that I'm aware of. There is one episode that could barely be called a recap episode but it also isnt cause its more a situation of Rei looking inward and forward, which actually is plot development where this show is concerned.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    and olivaw was never heard from again

Remember me... and my very good posts......

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Olivaw left because they realized his powers were too strong and he'd OHKO the big bad

I hear he's getting an epilogue later though

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I Got Sent To Another World By Watching Too Much Space Opera?

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Olivaw left because they realized his powers were too strong and he'd OHKO the big bad

I hear he's getting an epilogue later though

Won’t catch me anywhere but the blu-ray exclusive OVAs, baby

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-08-20/ghost-in-the-shell-gets-new-manga-set-after-gits-1.5/.150214
    The manga is set after Masamune Shirow's Ghost in the Shell 1.5: Human-Error Processor manga, and will focus on Section 9 after the disappearance of the Major. In particular, it will focus on the stories of Togusa, Batou, Azuma, Ishikawa, and a newcomer from the Channeling Agency named Tsunagi. Fujisaku added that he is writing the story as if it was "Ghost in the Shell 1.75."

Fujisaku previously penned scripts for the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG anime, and supervised the Ghost in the Shell: Arise project.

Dark Horse Comics and later Kodansha Comics published Shirow's original 1991 manga and its sequels in North America.

Kenji Kamiyama and Shinji Aramaki are directing a new 3D CG anime for the franchise titled Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 that will premiere next year. Production I.G is producing the anime.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    The most distinct memory I have of Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei is the epusode where Admiral Perry (who opened Japan to the West) shows up and starts compulsively opening everything he can get his hands on. Except that the episode gimmick was that the whole thing was subtitled (in Japanese) with alternate dialog in which Perry was convinced that he was Goku and searching for the Dragon Balls. This led to the disorienting condition of having three subtitle tracks running at the same time, and never in any predictable orientation.

i wanna say that one of the subtitle tracks was the manga storyline, and the other was new for the anime?

also you left out the part where the actual audio was complete nonsense mouth sounds

when SZS is good, it's really good

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I finished Laid-Back Camp. It's perfect.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Best part of Laid-Back Camp is everyone loved it so it gets a movie and season 2.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Onmyoji - Shiranui Theme Song MV "Song of the Isle of Sorrow"
    https://youtu.be/e5IzU3cFgC4
    3:46
    Context: Just take this as a one shot and enjoy the music and animation I guess

Peas on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    https://streamable.com/iezj5

why does this make me laugh so hard

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    https://streamable.com/iezj5

why does this make me laugh so hard

because it's great

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Danmachi season 2 question:
    Why did Mikoto join Hestia's family? Guilt over almost getting them killed? Seems like a LN detail that was completely skipped over.

• Options
    EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Danmachi season 2 question:
    Why did Mikoto join Hestia's family? Guilt over almost getting them killed? Seems like a LN detail that was completely skipped over.
    The Wars Games arc was seriously rushed through, it felt more like a recap episode. But yea, that's the main reason. But also they are genuinely friends. The LN also goes into the fact that its only for 1 year.

EvilOtaku on
  • Options
    Peas wrote: »
    https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-08-20/ghost-in-the-shell-gets-new-manga-set-after-gits-1.5/.150214
    The manga is set after Masamune Shirow's Ghost in the Shell 1.5: Human-Error Processor manga, and will focus on Section 9 after the disappearance of the Major. In particular, it will focus on the stories of Togusa, Batou, Azuma, Ishikawa, and a newcomer from the Channeling Agency named Tsunagi. Fujisaku added that he is writing the story as if it was "Ghost in the Shell 1.75."

Fujisaku previously penned scripts for the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG anime, and supervised the Ghost in the Shell: Arise project.

Dark Horse Comics and later Kodansha Comics published Shirow's original 1991 manga and its sequels in North America.

Kenji Kamiyama and Shinji Aramaki are directing a new 3D CG anime for the franchise titled Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 that will premiere next year. Production I.G is producing the anime.

The best thing this announcement did is remind me that there’s a new SAC coming from Kenji Kamiyama next year and now my day is even better

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Kana wrote: »
    SZS was always hit or miss, but some of its sketches were great.

I loved how they were always switching things up. Like the EDs which totally changed character designs, or when it shifts gears into like a closed door murder mystery episode, so they recorded all the VAs in the same room so they could talk over each other as they argued over who the killer was.

I'm trying to find the ending where they have all the characters drawn in the style of Mike Mignola, with Zetsubou Sensei as Hellboy, but holy hell it's scrubbed not just off of YouTube but Vimeo as well. The only versions even uploaded on Niconico Douga have the audio replaced in them with something else.

I guess if you really want to see the visuals, this video has the least objectionable replacement audio.

https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm2841044

And here's the full version of the song that's supposed to accompany it. I guess just play the first minute thirty along with the first video? EDIT: Yeah, it works if you start the audio and tab over fast enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0YfONx8RV8

Japanese copyright holders are even worse than US ones, somehow.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Episode 7 of Wasteful Days of High School Girls was by far the best thing to air so far this season. Had to pause it to breath when the teacher started taking selfies.

I just got caught up. Now I find myself wondering what the Japanese word for Shart is.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    Yessssss, finally some new Sangatsu watchers

Please post any reactions you have for us folks who want to relive it vicariously

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    azith28 wrote: »
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Episode 7 of Wasteful Days of High School Girls was by far the best thing to air so far this season. Had to pause it to breath when the teacher started taking selfiges.

I just got caught up. Now I find myself wondering what the Japanese word for Shart is.

Be careful what you wish for...

After an exhaustive 10 minutes of research, there doesn’t appear to be a direct equivalent to “shart”, but I did read a thread asking how to say “I shit my pants”, and I found the answer.

Now before I post this I did give some thought as to if this was too gross for the thread, and ultimately I decided that not only is it better to be safe than sorry, but this really belongs more in the language learning thread. So please pay it a visit if you’re that interested.

And with that I think we’ve reached the useful life of this thread: new thread incoming...

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    edited August 2019
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
This discussion has been closed.