As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spirited [Anime]

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Not counting the specific ones for Dragonball, My Hero academia, One Punch Man, or Jojo.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I thought we couldn't even have anime threads, what the heck

the last anime thread was a secret one

so don't feel bad if you couldn't find it

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I know only the tiniest bit less than nothing about anime, it isn't any surprise that I missed any secret ones.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Peen wrote: »
    I know only the tiniest bit less than nothing about anime, it isn't any surprise that I missed any secret ones.

Would You Like To Know More?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    That moment to breathe is part of it. That’s the “Ma” Miyazaki was talking about. But the music and framing of Chihiro in silent isolation, along with the rest of the movies themes of identity in transition I think really emphasize that melancholy reading.

Porco Rosso has a similar scene:
    This particular scene always felt like it had an extremely specific point of survivor's guilt and a man sort of realizing the fragility and beauty of life. They're two very different scenes. One is extremely direct and one is more ambiguous.

Oh sure I agree with you there. Like, a lot more than you might know: I fly fighter jets for a living and so Porco Rosso’s scene holds special significance for me. My point in posting that was that there are plenty of sad scenes in Miyazaki works that serve to break up otherwise fun and upbeat films. Likewise the “grim and depressing” read Christopher has isn’t reflective of Chihiro herself, but on how the mundane adult would is portrayed:
    The shadowy adults of the train have a palpable weariness to them. They're drawn big and bulky, wearing thick jackets, hats and head coverings as if against cold or damp weather. They move slowly, weary, as if at the end of a long day's heavy work, or heading somberly towards a day (or night) of long work.

It’s this exactly that he’s talking about. Further, we might assume that because Chihiro is currently part of the spirit world the shadows are actually those in the human world. And thus it’s the human (adult) world that is grim and depressing. That being said I’ll relent and say that’s probably going a bit far, but it’s just another aspect of that scene and why it’s so memorable: there’s an incredible amount of symbolism and metaphor and it lends itself to deep introspection.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Wait, something is missing from this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSe8D2wfGKI

Okay, there we go. Now it's an anime thread.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I started Kaguya-sama, and i think it was episode 6, but it had a line that really got me.
    President, I think I have Stockholm Syndrome, so I'm going home.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

I unironically love a certain breed of cheesy dubbed anime openings like this and the first season US pokemon opening.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    Like a month ago I asked for recommendations for light hearted yuri manga. Kana gave me a bunch of things to read and King Riptor as well. I am..sorta blazing through all of these so I am running out of things to read pretty fast. So if anyone else has any good manga like this to read I will be happy to note it down.

Kase-San (note. this is my absolute favourite one of this list)
    Their Story
    Husky and Medley
    Bloom Into You (had actually watched the anime and was reading the manga beforehand already. season 2 when?)
    Girl Friends
    Nettaigyo / A Tropical Fish Yearns for Snow
    Virgins' Empire
    Hidamari Sketch
    Yuru Yuri
    Sakura Trick
    Also reading Useless Princesses and Cheerful Amnesia.

And reading Sakura Trick I remembered seeing this scene from the anime which I probably will have to watch at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha54G-_K1Fw
    Gotta love anime physics.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    This is at least our fourth anime thread since we collectively agreed as a community not to be shitty about it

besides having to tell a select few people to occasionally stop being weird on rare occasions, we've been doing ok (and even the weird bits have been pretty under control, relative to how bad these threads used to get)

MwtMG's golden rule for not getting the anime thread banned.

If you're going to post, "Hey guys look at X! Isn't it terrible! And lewd! And skeezy!" You're still being that guy.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Just got to Demon Slayer episode 19

This is absolutely a pivotal moment for the series in a way that builds on every single moment before it, and probably worth starting from the beginning from in my opinion

Edited for civility and undoing my drunkposting antics

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    You misinterpreted my post.

I said people who aren’t really into this type of show should see the impressive visuals and this is probably the best display of them.

I did not imply that you should start here.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    i like to start any show from the last episode and work backwards

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I will keep making "hey, you should all check out X posts." But my criterion for it is shows that are bat-shit insane in a non-skeezy manner.

Watch Dai Mahou Touge.

• Options
    Disclaimer: I got off work early today and made that last post after a couple beers so it's lightly hyperbolic

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It's weird that Amazon has anime as I never heard of the Princess and the Pilot till I accidently came across it last night
    It was a great distraction from the racing going on nearby

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    This is at least our fourth anime thread since we collectively agreed as a community not to be shitty about it

besides having to tell a select few people to occasionally stop being weird on rare occasions, we've been doing ok (and even the weird bits have been pretty under control, relative to how bad these threads used to get)

There's twitter to be horny on now, so that helps

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I watched episode 2 of demon slayer
    smol mole nezuko needs all the headpats

Then skipped back to episode 20, as I needed to know what happens after 19

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    -Tal wrote: »
    The shonen jump subscription is $2 a month with full back catalog and new chapters as soon as they come out, which is extremely reasonable

Literally everyone here in Tokyo has their cell phone out on the train and more often than not when I catch a glimpse of what they’re reading it’s manga. Old, young, male, female, it makes no difference. Meanwhile I’m a shmuck still buying the dead tree versions:

ybpopuxbeibs.jpeg
    legally it's piracy.

Is it still piracy if it’s my own translation? I’m joking of course, but especially as our digital age creeps closer and closer towards a cyberpunk dystopia the question of who owns a translation may one day be up for debate: it’s part of why I like to physically buy the Tankobon. Still Lars brings up a good point: I’ve been talking a lot about stuff that isn’t licensed in the US, and unless told to stop, I’m going to keep on doing it. For example, I’m working on a translation right now of the Macross First manga:

l81ajp2rg5x7.jpeg

These beauties and a .doc file are going to be my my best friend’s Christmas present. It’s not like she’s going to see their release in the states in the next 15 years. So yeah, viewing/downloading a manga from an unlicensed source is illegal. Obtaining your own copy and reading someone else’s translation (not asking where that translation comes from) is fine.

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    It's weird that Amazon has anime as I never heard of the Princess and the Pilot till I accidently came across it last night
    It was a great distraction from the racing going on nearby

Two very good anime from the last couple years on Amazon are Land of the Lustrous and Girls' Last Tour, both of which are in a weird sort of josei-seinen-adventure crossover category

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Everyone who mentions unlicensed manga in this thread is obviously reading it in Japanese, just like how everyone in the Game of Thrones threads had HBO subscriptions.

Beyond that let us not get bogged down in mere details. Either asking or providing.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    WHAT. A Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas anime?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP0Ej28JeCs

Oh, no, it's just a cool thing.

Right?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Kana wrote: »
    Beyond that let us not get bogged down in mere details. Either asking or providing.

Point of order, my offer* to provide forumers with Japan-exclusive items at cost still stands.

*Offer valid in US only. Procurement done as availability allows. Procurement not guaranteed. Offer extends to items for personal use only. Some exclusion apply. Please PM me for more details.

Edit: how do I change font size?

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    there used to be font size tags but they got rid of them at some point.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    That really reduces the impact of my fine print joke.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

I unironically love a certain breed of cheesy dubbed anime openings like this and the first season US pokemon opening.

The One Piece rap is physical proof of God's love for humanity.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Quick question. Sometimes the Funimation app for my Roku won't have the subtitles for certain shows at all. Even when I clearly choose the option, it's like the app can't recognize it. So far it's only been a simulcast tile that has recently been put up. However their website functions correctly. Now, I'd much rather watch my 60 inch TV than a monitor, and the player on the website sucks because the header clips the player unless I go full screen. Which I'd rather not for some reason. (I don't know why, I just don't like it)

• Options
    what's the question?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    D'oh, sorry. Are there any settings I need to change or is that just how the app works? Because telling the episode to change to english subtitles doesn't actually do anything for some reason. Sometimes it won't even be able to turn them off. (even though they aren't working to begin with)

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Isorn wrote: »
    Like a month ago I asked for recommendations for light hearted yuri manga. Kana gave me a bunch of things to read and King Riptor as well. I am..sorta blazing through all of these so I am running out of things to read pretty fast. So if anyone else has any good manga like this to read I will be happy to note it down.

Kase-San (note. this is my absolute favourite one of this list)
    Their Story
    Husky and Medley
    Bloom Into You (had actually watched the anime and was reading the manga beforehand already. season 2 when?)
    Girl Friends
    Nettaigyo / A Tropical Fish Yearns for Snow
    Virgins' Empire
    Hidamari Sketch
    Yuru Yuri
    Sakura Trick
    Also reading Useless Princesses and Cheerful Amnesia.

And reading Sakura Trick I remembered seeing this scene from the anime which I probably will have to watch at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha54G-_K1Fw
    Gotta love anime physics.

Sakura Trick is garbage. Chock full of yuri(with a ridiculous amount of making out), but garbage nonetheless.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    That really reduces the impact of my fine print joke.

This has happened to me multiple times, and I keep forgetting.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I think subscript and superscript still work. Doesn't work in a lot of contexts, like when you want the smaller text to be on the same line, but it's something.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Is Paranoia Agent streaming legally anywhere?

(With multiple potential titles in play, I am not sure how to approach finding the answer to that question on my own)

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

(With multiple potential titles in play, I am not sure how to approach finding the answer to that question on my own)

Paranoia Agent hasn't been available since the DVDs went out of print like 15 years ago. It's a damn shame.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Paranoia Agent hasn't been available since the DVDs went out of print like 15 years ago. It's a damn shame.

It's the only anime series I've ever seen all of, and "How do you cope with the feeling that you might be very suddenly obliterated?" is seeming like increasingly relevant subject matter

It is a damn shame that it ain't available. A show about how culture-wide trauma creates both self-inflicted demons and means of survival is...

I dunno, I think it's relevant, is all.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    It's really surprising how much of Satoshi Kon's work has fallen out of print. With Perfect Blue at least we knew it was a weird rights issue with Aronofsky, but who knows what's up with Paranoia Agent and most of his others films.

In a just world Criterion would be trying to get something of his out there.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    That moment to breathe is part of it. That’s the “Ma” Miyazaki was talking about. But the music and framing of Chihiro in silent isolation, along with the rest of the movies themes of identity in transition I think really emphasize that melancholy reading.

Porco Rosso has a similar scene:

I always found Porco Rosso to be the saddest of Miyazaki's films. While the issues it deals with aren't as wide-ranging or bizzare, and certainly not as devestating as Grave of the Fireflies, and it certainly carries a lighthearted spirit throughout most of it, something about Porco's self-imposed curse and his dealing with depression, substance abuse, and survivor's guilt just feels the most authentic of the studio's emotional struggles. Contrasting his world view as he watches the bumbling and violence and slow descent into fascism and economic hardship of the world around him, its very bleak, hopeless, and (because of that) more inspiring than a lot of the films to me when he actually decides to stand up for something for once.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Started up The Price of Smiles, and got an interesting first two episodes.
    Episode 1 = There is no war in Ba Sing Se, Princess.
    Episode 2 = Yup, Male Protagonist is dead. Whatcha gonna do about it, now Princess?

Looks good enough to keep going, at least.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Finally got around to watching the first ep of Demon Slayer.

Okay, I'm picking up up what this is putting down.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.