As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 5E] You can't triple stamp a double stamp!

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    That art is alright.

None of it comes even close to "Look at my cookies, Gary" though

Yeah but 4e Dark Sun had the best art

Very true.

Also now I want a setting with both a goblin union and cannibalistic halflings

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    So, bit of a personal pickle.

My bard is picking up his slack for the team, while not damage-wise, but rather in providing support and controllish aspects, as well as the whole "Talk to People Well" bit. So I naturally expect to be lagging in DPS. That's fine.

The problem, I feel, is... as we were all given special things by our DM (I got a nice jacket with ballistics resistance), our cleric, one level behind us, was given (to compensate for being lower levelled) a reskinned Dwarven Thrower (a +3 weapon).

Now, he has saved our skins a hell of a lot with his attacks, but a) I personally feel like we're treating the cleric as a crutch, and b) I feel he's overshadowing the actual DPS guys (including the two-revolver gunslinger, whose whole thing is being ranged). Plus given that my weapon (a one shot derringer) needs a full action to reload, I am feeling a tad bit resentful. I think I'll switch to a different weapon on the next adventure, although my go-to will still be Vicious Mockery.

To credit our DM, he has identified the lagging of the gunslinger (and hopefully the incoming ranger and barbarian), and will "give" them items to compensate. I put quotes on "give", because I don't think it's a gimme, and we'll have maybe an adventure on getting 'em, which should be fun.

End rant.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Wait, how is the Gunslinger being overshadowed? Combined with strategic use of grit points they should be pumping out damage. I guess if the revolvers are low damage weapons?

Our Gunslinger had a sniper rifle and a pistol and, if left unmolested by the enemy, were easily doing Fighter level damage at range.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    That art is alright.

Very true.

I do feel bad about Dark Dun as my father really enjoyed the setting but he never got to finish what he wanted to do with his character

now that sad business is over can someone tell me what the plastic they use for Nolzur's Minis? It doesn't look like the bendy reaper kind from what I saw online as there are a few I would like to get just to paint

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Wait, how is the Gunslinger being overshadowed? Combined with strategic use of grit points they should be pumping out damage. I guess if the revolvers are low damage weapons?

Our Gunslinger had a sniper rifle and a pistol and, if left unmolested by the enemy, were easily doing Fighter level damage at range.

Grit points...?

*Google's*

Oh no, not that one. We're using the Homebrew version class with the Spellshot subclass detailed here.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    That art is alright.

Very true.

now that sad business is over can someone tell me what the plastic they use for Nolzur's Minis? It doesn't look like the bendy reaper kind from what I saw online as there are a few I would like to get just to paint

The prevailing understanding is that Wizkids uses PVC for their Nolzur's miniatures.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    That art is alright.

I dunno man... Dark Sun art is great. But I think Eberron art is better.

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    So, bit of a personal pickle.

My bard is picking up his slack for the team, while not damage-wise, but rather in providing support and controllish aspects, as well as the whole "Talk to People Well" bit. So I naturally expect to be lagging in DPS. That's fine.

The problem, I feel, is... as we were all given special things by our DM (I got a nice jacket with ballistics resistance), our cleric, one level behind us, was given (to compensate for being lower levelled) a reskinned Dwarven Thrower (a +3 weapon).

Now, he has saved our skins a hell of a lot with his attacks, but a) I personally feel like we're treating the cleric as a crutch, and b) I feel he's overshadowing the actual DPS guys (including the two-revolver gunslinger, whose whole thing is being ranged). Plus given that my weapon (a one shot derringer) needs a full action to reload, I am feeling a tad bit resentful. I think I'll switch to a different weapon on the next adventure, although my go-to will still be Vicious Mockery.

To credit our DM, he has identified the lagging of the gunslinger (and hopefully the incoming ranger and barbarian), and will "give" them items to compensate. I put quotes on "give", because I don't think it's a gimme, and we'll have maybe an adventure on getting 'em, which should be fun.

End rant.

My bard is currently level 12. I've never drawn the sword he started with. At this point it is 100% decoration. Your control and support abilities are so awesome I wouldn't worry too much about your personal weapon.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    The bard I play with seems to feel down that she doesn't do much damage and that she can't have fireball at her level and I assure her she is a very valuable part of the team and her support abilities are really useful but she still be like that.

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Support characters are great, but need to have support minded players.

A player who relishes in Fireball might not be able to adapt to using Cutting Word instead.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    That art is alright.

I dunno man... Dark Sun art is great. But I think Eberron art is better.

Better than this?!
    Look_512b76_2079687.jpg

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I remember asking my friend what his tabaxi looks like and he went into this in-depth answer of why the character was named after what he looked like.

Then like a The Office/Parks and Rec moment zooming in on the background then back to the speaker I realized he exactly based it off his cat wandering in front of us.

Nothing wrong with that, that cat is really friendly. So very much unlike his character.

My office camera zoom on face moment was joking that when ranger burst into the sauna on the bard that he saw a housecat licking itself - until bard corrected by describing the anatomy of her cat person in the kind of detail that makes me incredibly suspicious that I'd find something if I looked for her name on furaffinity

override367 on
    The bard I play with seems to feel down that she doesn't do much damage and that she can't have fireball at her level and I assure her she is a very valuable part of the team and her support abilities are really useful but she still be like that.
    Are they a Lore Bard? Pretty sure they start getting magical secrets early on and can nab Fireball.

But yes, I'm kind of with them. The Bard spell list is like half too-situation-to-waste-a-spell-pick on, while the vast majority of the rest are Concentration spells, meaning you have one up and welp I guess you're not casting another. I ended up with stuff like Shatter, just to have something to do while I was already maintaining a spell.
    Vicious Mockery is fun and all, but at higher levels the target is either not worth using it on, or very likely has the Wis roll to bypass it anyway. Plus, using cantrips when you're swimming in spell slots feels bad.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I remember asking my friend what his tabaxi looks like and he went into this in-depth answer of why the character was named after what he looked like.

Then like a The Office/Parks and Rec moment zooming in on the background then back to the speaker I realized he exactly based it off his cat wandering in front of us.

Nothing wrong with that, that cat is really friendly. So very much unlike his character.

My office camera zoom on face moment was joking that when ranger burst into the sauna on the bard that he saw a housecat licking itself - until bard corrected by describing the anatomy of her cat person in the kind of detail that makes me incredibly suspicious that I'd find something if I looked for her name on furaffinity

We've joked around about certain features between our animal characters.

edited August 2019
    Glal wrote: »
    Are they a Lore Bard? Pretty sure they start getting magical secrets early on and can nab Fireball.

But yes, I'm kind of with them. The Bard spell list is like half too-situation-to-waste-a-spell-pick on, while the vast majority of the rest are Concentration spells, meaning you have one up and welp I guess you're not casting another. I ended up with stuff like Shatter, just to have something to do while I was already maintaining a spell.
    Vicious Mockery is fun and all, but at higher levels the target is either not worth using it on, or very likely has the Wis roll to bypass it anyway. Plus, using cantrips when you're swimming in spell slots feels bad.

if bards can spare it they should take magic initiate sorcerer (toll the dead or firebolt) or warlock for Eldritch Blast. If the DM is nice theyll let them cast the first level spell with spell slots too and if so they should take chromatic orb or armor of agathys (otherwise shield or absorb elements)

Otherwise, shatter is probably go to damage spell, spell secrets fireball at level 6 (or erupting earth or lightning bolt if you want a good damage spell but to buck the trend), synaptic static at ninth level, fireball on a less resisted damage type and saving throw, plus huge debuff benefits

spell secrets 10 is when bard starts getting dumb, Destructive Wave, Dawn, Swift Quiver (if valor or swords bard), etc

override367 on
    Keep in mind only Lore Bards get extra Magical Secrets. Everyone else gets 2 spells at levels 10, 14 and 18. So, my Bard of 4+ years at level 9 is still waiting for his first non-Bard spell.

edited August 2019
    if I could redesign bards I would give every bard 1 spell secret at 6, and 10, with the other levels as normal, and lore bards get 2 at 6 and 10. I feel like the class is really missing something when playing as a non lore bard who's pre level 10, and most campaigns don't go past level 10 very much - so the majority of bards never get what may be the feature that gives them their diversity as spellcasters

edit: and when they hit a new spell secret "tier", let them re-pick an older spell secret if they want
    edit 2: and I'd let countercharm work kind of like dispel magic at the cost of an inspiration dice. I'd work out some performance check vs a DC system (maybe the CR of the creature behind the charm + some number). Performance checks having zero mechanical use for bards bugs me

override367 on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    If the DM is nice theyll let them cast the first level spell with spell slots too and if so they should take chromatic orb or armor of agathys (otherwise shield or absorb elements)

Is this not RAW? Because my understanding is that if you know a spell you can cast it with your slots. That is how multi-classing works at the least

wbBv3fj.png
  • AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    If the DM is nice theyll let them cast the first level spell with spell slots too and if so they should take chromatic orb or armor of agathys (otherwise shield or absorb elements)

Is this not RAW? Because my understanding is that if you know a spell you can cast it with your slots. That is how multi-classing works at the least

If I recall correctly, it's unclear in the actual rules text and was 'clarified' in Sage Advice into something awkward that people mostly don't like and choose to ignore.

The Sage Advice answer is that you can use your spell slots to cast your Magic Initiate spell, but only if you for some reason took Magic Initiate and picked a class you were already in.

So "officially", insofar as Sage Advice is official, the answer is:

1)If you're a cleric and you pick Druid as your Magic Initiate class and take Goodberry, you can't cast it with slots.

2)If you're a Wizard and you pick Wizard as your Magic Initiate class and take Magic Missile, you can cast it with slots.

3)If you're a Wizard and you pick Sorcerer as your Magic Initiate class and take Magic Missile, you can't cast it with slots because even though it's on your class's spell list it wasn't granted to you as a Wizard spell and we've decided that matters for some reason.

So basically you can only use your slots to cast your Magic Initiate spell if you took Magic Initiate for a dumb, largely pointless reason in the first place. (So why not just say it doesn't work instead of carving out a specific exception where it mostly doesn't work but sometimes does work but only if you do something pointless you shouldn't do? Who the fuck knows! Simplicity!)

But... that isn't how sage advice ruled on mutli-classing. It makes no sense given the wording of the feat (or even that its an entire feat for a first level spell) or prior rulings. Its even directly contradicted in the text of the answer "In short, you must follow your character’s normal spellcasting rules, which determine whether you can expend spell slots on the 1st-level spell you learn from Magic Initiate"... but the normal spellcasting rules say you can cast any spells you know. They don't prohibit you from using sorcerer gained spell slots to cast wizard or warlock spells... They only require that you spend slots in order to cast your spells..

Sage Advice.

wbBv3fj.png
    edited August 2019
    an entire feat for a first level spell and a cantrip is really good IF you can use your spell slots on the spell, otherwise ehh?

sage advice's ruling iirc only requires that it be on your classes' list so its extra bonkers silly

The logic being, you can't know the spell if its not on the list of a class you have levels in, but we can safely set RAI aside and do what doesn't feel bad

override367 on
    Picking up eldrich blast is pretty good if youre a bard so you have an attack spell. And a ranged cleric/druid cantrip has value for monks. But like... the rest is all flavor you will almost never use

wbBv3fj.png
    find familiar, mage armor are both solid one use a day picks

If you can use spell slots, armor of agathys is a positively silly good spell for anyone who plans to be close to the front

• AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    an entire feat for a first level spell and a cantrip is really good IF you can use your spell slots on the spell, otherwise ehh?

sage advice's ruling iirc only requires that it be on your classes' list so its extra bonkers silly

The logic being, you can't know the spell if its not on the list of a class you have levels in, but we can safely set RAI aside and do what doesn't feel bad

Nope, you specifically need to have chosen one of your existing classes for Magic Initiate so that the spell you learn from that feat is a spell from that class.
    If you’re a spellcaster, can you pick your own class when you gain the Magic Initiate feat?
    Yes, the feat doesn’t say you can’t. For example, if you’re a wizard and gain the Magic Initiate feat, you can choose wizard and thereby learn two more wizard cantrips and another 1st-level wizard spell.

If you have spell slots, can you use them to cast the 1st level spell you learn with the Magic Initiate feat?
    Yes, but only if the class you pick for the feat is one of your classes. For example, if you pick sorcerer and you are a sorcerer, the Spellcasting feature for that class tells you that you can use your spell slots to cast the sorcerer spells you know, so you can use your spell slots to cast the 1st-level sorcerer spell you learn from Magic Initiate. Similarly, if you are a wizard and pick that class for the feat, you learn a 1st-level wizard spell, which you could add to your spellbook and subsequently prepare.

The notion is basically that if you are a Wizard, your spellcasting feature allows you to use spell slots to prepare and cast Wizard spells. If you take Magic Initiate and pick Sorcerer and use it to learn a level 1 spell that is on both the Wizard and Sorcerer spell lists, it is still a Sorcerer spell for you because of how you learned it and therefore not a Wizard spell and therefore not eligible to be cast with spell slots using the Spellcasting feature you get from the Wizard class.

It's fiddly and dumb for no real reason other than because of the obtuse way that they worded the spellcasting feature.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Abbalah wrote: »

Nope, you specifically need to have chosen one of your existing classes for Magic Initiate so that the spell you learn from that feat is a spell from that class.
    If you’re a spellcaster, can you pick your own class when you gain the Magic Initiate feat?
    Yes, the feat doesn’t say you can’t. For example, if you’re a wizard and gain the Magic Initiate feat, you can choose wizard and thereby learn two more wizard cantrips and another 1st-level wizard spell.

If you have spell slots, can you use them to cast the 1st level spell you learn with the Magic Initiate feat?
    Yes, but only if the class you pick for the feat is one of your classes. For example, if you pick sorcerer and you are a sorcerer, the Spellcasting feature for that class tells you that you can use your spell slots to cast the sorcerer spells you know, so you can use your spell slots to cast the 1st-level sorcerer spell you learn from Magic Initiate. Similarly, if you are a wizard and pick that class for the feat, you learn a 1st-level wizard spell, which you could add to your spellbook and subsequently prepare.

The notion is basically that if you are a Wizard, your spellcasting feature allows you to use spell slots to prepare and cast Wizard spells. If you take Magic Initiate and pick Sorcerer and use it to learn a level 1 spell that is on both the Wizard and Sorcerer spell lists, it is still a Sorcerer spell for you because of how you learned it and therefore not a Wizard spell and therefore not eligible to be cast with spell slots using the Spellcasting feature you get from the Wizard class.

It's fiddly and dumb for no real reason other than because of the obtuse way that they worded the spellcasting feature.

It's to stop any unintended combinations, like if a spell from one class doesn't mix well with the features of another class or creates an overly strong combination by accident. or more straightforwardly, so the wizard doesn't grab cure wounds and then become a sub healer immediately.

But I'm the asshole that told the abjurationist wizard he could take any spell in the abjuration school when he leveled cause I wanted to see what it would do and nothing broke terribly so really it's a question of if you want to make wizards able to go sub healer with a feat. Which like... yeah sure I'm in to it.

Like it's definitely a bit fiddly and dumb, but I see why you'd maybe wanna throw down that line there.

Sleep on
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    there’s already ways to make Wizard/arcane healers with False Life/Vampiric Touch/Life Transference anyway so i agree with @Sleep in that it doesn’t feel unbalancing to me

healing out of the box lags behind in general so if your wizard is burning their slots for Cure Wounds that self corrects by burning those resources

edited August 2019
    Abbalah wrote: »

They should errata the thing because I get it, but their logic is really inconsistent

There's no such thing as a "Wizard spell slot" or "Sorcerer spell slot", the only delineation is spell slots or pact magic and even then you can cast any spell you know with pact slots or any pact spell you know with spell slots (multiclassing rules)

I get that it's literally so bards don't chromatic orb or whatever, but the most broken use cases (giving familiars to classes that shouldnt have them, letting rogues wear studded leather armor +1 without a stitch of clothing on) are already achievable with the 1-cast-per-day

override367 on
    Agh, I want to get back to playing my friend's campaign so bad.

We will have to wait until winter at a minimum and possibly even next summer to start again because of scheduling.

I have never felt this way about a DnD campaign before. He made me give a fuck in a way which no other DM has.

edited August 2019
    I made this wizard subclass because I have a player that wants to artificer but be full caster, its a little rough and I need to tweak it but I welcome any criticism:

Masters of unlocking magic in everyday objects, artificers are supreme inventors. They see magic as a complex system waiting to be decoded and controlled. Artificers use tools to channel arcane power, crafting temporary and permanent magical objects. To cast a spell, an artificer could use alchemist’s supplies to create a potent elixir, calligrapher’s supplies to inscribe a sigil of power on an ally’s armor, or tinker’s tools to craft a temporary charm. The magic of artificers is tied to their tools and their talents.

Artificer Spellcasting
    The Artificer does not have a spellbook like a conventional wizard. They know all of their spells and must prepare them in the same way as a cleric or druid.

Artificer Spell List:
    (see: every artificer spell, I havent added 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th level spells yet)

You also know the following spells, they do not count against your spells prepared and are always available to you:

School of Artifice Specialty Spells

Wizard Level Spell
    1st (Ritual Only): Identify, Detect Magic
    1st: Fog Cloud, Grease
    3rd: Pyrotechnics, Magic Aura
    5th: Tiny Servant, Dispel Magic
    7th: Fabricate, Resilient Sphere
    9th: Legend Lore, Creation

Infuse Item
    At 2nd level, you gain the ability to imbue mundane items with certain magical infusions. The magic items you create with this feature are effectively prototypes of permanent items. You can have 2 items infused at once. This number increases to 3 at level 6, 4 at level 10, 5 at level 14, and 6 at level 18.

Infusions Known
    When you gain this feature, pick three artificer infusions to learn, choosing from the “Artificer Infusions” section at the end of the class’s description. You learn additional infusions of your choice when you reach certain levels in this class, as shown in the Infusions Known column of the Artificer table.

Whenever you gain a level in this class, you can replace one of the artificer infusions you learned with a new one.

Infusing an Item
    Whenever you finish a long rest, you can touch a nonmagical object and imbue it with one of your artificer infusions, turning it into a magic item. An infusion works on only certain kinds of objects, as specified in the infusion’s description. If the item requires attunement, you can attune yourself to it the instant you infuse the item, or you can forgo attunement so that someone else can attune to the item. If you decide to attune to the item later, you must do so using the normal process for attunement (see “Attunement” in the Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 136).

When you infuse an item, it may consume a spell slot. No spell slot is consumed for infusions available at 2nd level, a 2nd level slot for infusions available at 4th. 3rd for 6th, 4th for infusions available at 8th, 5th for infusions available at level 10 or 12, and 6th, 7th, 8th, or 9th for the magical infusions at level 16. Legendary infusions granted at 17 require a 9th level spell slot to create. While an infusion is active, you cannot regain the spell slot consumed to create it.

Your infusion remains in an item indefinitely, but when you die, the infusion vanishes after a number of days have passed equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum of 1 day). The infusion also vanishes if you give up your knowledge of the infusion for another one.

You can infuse more than one nonmagical object at the end of a long rest; the maximum number of objects is 1+ classlevel/4 (rounded down). You must touch each of the objects, and each of your infusions can be in only one object at a time. If you try to exceed your maximum number of infusions, the oldest infusion immediately ends, and then the new infusion applies.

Infusion Maximum Infusions Known Level
    2 3 2
    2 4 3
    2 4 4
    2 4 5
    3 5 6
    3 5 7
    3 7 8
    3 7 9
    4 8 10
    4 8 11
    4 10 12
    4 10 13
    5 11 14
    5 11 15
    5 12 16
    5 12 17
    6 14 18
    6 14 19

Spell Storing
    Starting at 6th level, you gain the ability to store your magic in a novel way. Upon completing a long rest, you can store up to 1/4 your class level, rounded down, plus your intellect modifier spells. These spell can be stored and released in any way you wish to flavor them (for example, storing them as potions, or bombs, or gadgets). Anyone holding the item can cast the spell. The spell uses the slot level, spell save DC, spell Attack bonus, and Spellcasting Ability of the original caster, but is otherwise treated as if they had cast the spell. Once a spell is cast, the item loses this property.

You can store spells that meet the following criteria:

Targets only Self (no concentration required, maximum duration 10 minutes, you can only have a single concentration spell stored in this manner)

Targets other creatures (if the spell is concentration, it only lasts until the start of the caster's next turn).

Example: Artificer stores a Hypnotic Pattern spell in a bottle of swirling mist. The party's rogue throws it and it breaks open, the saves of all targets are recorded, and those that fail are incapacitated. At the start of the Rogue's next turn, the spell ends.

Example 2: Artificer stores Haste into an injection. The fighter injects themselves as an action and gains haste for 1 minute, no concentration.

Example 3: Artificer stores Leomund's Tiny Hut in a foldable green canvas bag and gives it to Ranger. Ranger takes ten minutes (casting time) to unfold this contraption, which erupts in magical energy and creates a tiny hut.

Prototype Attunement

Starting at 9th level, equipping one of your infusions does not count against your number of attuned items if worn by you, even if it normally would. This number increases to 2 at 15th level.

The Right Cantrip of the Job
    Starting at 10th level, as an action, you can gain access to any cantrip from the Wizard, Warlock, Druid, Cleric, or Bard spell list. This cantrip lasts until you use this ability again. This cantrip counts as a Wizard cantrip for you. You cannot use this ability more than once per long rest.
    Additionally, all of your damaging cantrips can deal {{modifier:int}} extra damage of the same type once per round.

Soul of Artifice
    Starting at 18th level you gain a +1 bonus to saving throws for every attuned item you have.
    Additionally, you can designate that one of your Infusions does not require an attunement slot.

LIST OF INFUSIONS GOES HERE: I added Very Rare items and Legendary Items to the end tier infusion choices, as well as generally knocking things down tiers and adding more items to the list. The list is not finalized as of yet, only the items the player plans on picking

override367 on
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    There's no such thing as a "Wizard spell slot" or "Sorcerer spell slot", the only delineation is spell slots or pact magic and even then you can cast any spell you know with pact slots or any pact spell you know with spell slots (multiclassing rules)

Sort of because the multiclassing rules imply you can't cast spells you know from Racial abilities with spell slots because they don't from from a class with the Spellcasting or Pact Magic feature. It seems to me the spell gained from Magic Initiate falls into the same category.

Usual caveats... your table you do you etc.

edited August 2019
    Nealneal wrote: »

Sort of because the multiclassing rules imply you can't cast spells you know from Racial abilities with spell slots because they don't from from a class with the Spellcasting or Pact Magic feature. It seems to me the spell gained from Magic Initiate falls into the same category.

Usual caveats... your table you do you etc.

Yea, but then they kind of toss that logic out the window by letting you cast it if you picked your class, which isn't the case for racial spells (wizards dont gain Darkness if they're drow for example)

They're using Special Logic for balance reasons, which should require an errata

override367 on
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    I don't think it's that big of a deal and I certainly don't think them being kind and ruling "Yeah, if you are a wizard and you took Wizard Magic Initiate, I guess you can use that spell with your other slots too" means that it requires errata.

They are not being kind in restricting the way you can cast your spells.

Racial spells can be cast with slots too

wbBv3fj.png
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Just found this absolutely awesome compilation of flora from throughout D&D history, including what mechanical effects they had (if any).

Catalogue of D&D Flora

I'm going to be making extensive use of this. If someone wants to create a greater potion of healing now I can say that they "mix adder's tongue, boneset, and comfrey into an elixir of an appealing sky blue color". If they want a potion of speed, they "crush six lightning seeds into a fine powder."

There's also a plant that acts as a potion of healing but also temporarily poisons you, a plant that gives advantage to resisting contracting lycanthropy, a plant that can cause someone's current mood to switch to its opposite, and a plant that causes a catoblepas who eats it to temporarily lose its death ray ability. Neat stuff!

Hexmage-PA on
    edited August 2019
    Omg I've spent wayyy too much on minis the last couple of days.

Including a custom Heroforge mini to represent Sunnis, Archomental Princess of Good Earth Creatures.

h47a76dhlh3p.png
    lozarv0gl85r.png

She's going to be painted like a statue studded with gems and protected by bands of metal on her head, torso and hands. I thought briefly about giving her clothes or something, but I wanted her to have an ancient statue feel.

I wish Heroforge was cheaper so I could print off all the minis I want.

Here's a few more waiting to be made:

Ehkahk, Archomental Prince of Smoke and Mephits
    8b3vsujm69r3.png

Svidanfi, Archdevil Queen of the Stygian Masque
    hnu88bmtb872.png

Hyrsam, Archfey Prince of Satyrs
    hr4qc4vtii1k.png

The Prince of Frost
    m2xv1xf58l32.png

Hexmage-PA on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Looking for thoughts on a sorcerer I'm putting together for a streamed game next week.
    I'm not playing, just building the character for one of the regular players to run.

The game itself is an arena type game where the PCs fight the contents of one of WizKids' blind boxes, so role playing solutions aren't generally an option (though I'm hoping we can get some mileage out of the persuade/deceive skills). Player characters start at 7, stats assigned by point buy, and you can choose stat boosts or feats at appropriate levels, starting equipment only.

Tama Kilat, Blue Dragonborn Sorcerer:
    https://ddb.ac/characters/15383277/oExYtw

Focused on Cha, Con and Dex as stats, left the rest at 10 to minimize penalties.
    Cantrips: Ray of Frost for some free control from the reduced speed
    Shocking grasp to get that +4 from my draconic blood line and rob the target of reactions, advantage if it's got metal armor on ain't bad either.
    Mage hand, Minor illusion because they're great utility spells. Might make for a handy distraction or something if there's a low Int creature. Thought that we might give the Mage Hand a dagger, and it might be able to cut down the ships sails to impede a target creature beneath the mast (it can use objects, but not attack)
    True Strike because the player has already proven adept at rolling ones and any advantage is good.

Spells:
    1st: Shield: +5 AC,
    Thunder Wave to throw people around
    Witch Bolt because lightning damage. Though, if I'm reading correctly, the bonus damage would only apply to the initial cast, not any subsequent turns. Probably less useful than Shield for the slot.

2: Dragon's Breath: twin spell this onto allies (or single cast it on myself) to force enemy saves vs 3d6 damage rather than attack rolls for 10 rounds

3: Haste, twin spell it if the other players are melee monsters,
    Lightning bolt for 8d6 damage, careful spell for team safety. Also that +4 damage.
    Thunder step for a good "get out of the way" spell, should make for a handy escape

4th: Storm Sphere, seems like a good area control spell. Minimal damage, but inflicting difficult terrain can be handy if we're fighting beasties what need to get close. Careful spell allows Tama to protect the other players from that initial 2d6 bludgeoning, and 4d6 damage lightning bolts as a bonus action while it's up aren't too bad either (with advantage if the target is inside). Though, since those aren't part of the initial cast, there's no bonus to them.

edited August 2019
    Good lord I am getting tired of out of the abyss

4 months of weekly sessions and we haven't gotten to the dwarf town yet, it's just draaaaaaaaggggggggging

override367 on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    So yesterday marked the first time.our group got together since late April. We started at 1.30 played till 7. We are with 5 level 6 players: 2 rangers, a druid, a cleric and a fighter.

My question is: how much shit do you guys do during your sessions?

We investigated a hamlet, we heard rumors that the lords used to hunt humans. We thought it was sketchy af and started interrogating the villagers. No one appeared to say anything worthwhile, but after talking to the innkeeper twice they gave us hints that there were werewolves and lend us his silver dagger. Our cleric also got an ointment from the village healer. Then we went to the castle, killed 2 burrowing creatures, entered the castle to snoop around, split the fucking party, got ambushed by wights and fought them. This took 5.5 hours in total.
    Theres still a gelatinous cube up, but we already went on for more than an hour longer than planned.
    Campaign:
    STK, location Noanar's Hold

Our group tends to muck about a lot, so we tend to get like one big event and some small stuff done in an ~8h session. So for example, in our last one we: met up, had breakfast to plan stuff, went to the rendezvous place ("accidentally" blowing someone up), had a big fight and ended on a cliffhanger as we got ambushed leaving.

Since I mentioned minis earlier, can I say how the 5E WotC minis kinda annoy me with their liberal interpretations of sizes larger than Medium? I got a wyvern yesterday because it looks cool, but it dwarfs the Large-sized base it came with. Similarly, many of the giants look like they should be Gargantuan.

Similarly, I bought two "Huge" female giants from Reaper minis recently and discovered that they were a good bit smaller than I expected, with the WotC giant minis being nearly twice the size. Now I'm not certain what to do with them.

This discussion has been closed.