As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    It also helps that state and local governments are doing their best to fight this stuff. We have sanctuary cities, we have states and localities refusing to cooperate with ICE. California has as official policy that our state offices are not to cooperate with the ICE if they try to get personal information on California residents.

People are doing stuff.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I think the plan is to drive the metaphorical bus through the opening in "and subject to the jurisdiction thereof" of the 14th amendment.

And considering how much concern there would be by the original authors of this amendment that the wording would introduce birthright citizenship for chinese and native americans, the originialists on the SC have enough of a figleaf to shut it down if they'd like.

That's not an opening at all

Unless they want to grant every non-citizen absolute legal immunity

fuck gendered marketing
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Hong Kong isn't a super fair comparison, because like the Maidan protests, it's more about people trying to save their own lives from tyranny, and so it's much easier to motivate the populace when there's no other way to guarantee your survival or your childrens' but to march

It's much easier to create distance if you don't know any migrants, and it's harder to present a unified front over a much larger square mileage

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Priest was warned for this.
    That Martin Luther King Jr quote always seems to be misused. He used democratic means to achieve his goals. He organized huge protests not guerrilla resistance. And for the same reason as liberals are not charging the camps to get shot: he didn't want to get thousands of people killed.

So where are these huge protests?

Seems pretty much that people are okay with this.

ceres on
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Priest wrote: »
    That Martin Luther King Jr quote always seems to be misused. He used democratic means to achieve his goals. He organized huge protests not guerrilla resistance. And for the same reason as liberals are not charging the camps to get shot: he didn't want to get thousands of people killed.

There have been a lot of large protests against Trump and his hateful policies. Republicans ignore them.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Commander Zoom was warned for this.

You clearly have strong feelings about this issue. I expect you've already sold your property, settled your affairs, and made arrangements to...
    No?
    huh.
    Well, I guess you don't actually feel so strongly about it.

ceres on

You clearly have strong feelings about this issue. I expect you've already sold your property, settled your affairs, and made arrangements to...
    No?
    huh.

How dare you.

You have no goddamn idea what I deal with. Why I haven't made a peep on these forums in months.

You have precisely no fucking clue how my life as a teacher has shifted radically due to the events of the last 2 years, and may, pending a review of my license, result in me being unable to continue that career due to an arrest while protesting 7 months ago.

But no - you go on and keep condescending.

• LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Honestly, there is one thing individuals can do that would greatly help migrants/assylum seekers in detention almost immediately:

Pay their bail.
    Immigration advocates have noted one sure-fire way to help people separated from their children: Posting their bail. This is one of the fastest ways to reunite immigrants with their family, said Pilar Weiss, project director at the National Bail Fund Network.

Donating to community bond funds can immediately “lead to freedom,” she said. Community bond funds are charities, like Raices, that use funds to post bail and provide legal defense for detained people.

Link (story is from July of this year), which includes a list of organizations at the end that cover bail for immigrants: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-is-what-it-costs-to-free-one-immigrant-from-detention-2018-06-20

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

No?
    huh.

How dare you.

You have no goddamn idea what I deal with. Why I haven't made a peep on these forums in months.

You have precisely no fucking clue how my life as a teacher has shifted radically due to the events of the last 2 years, and may, pending a review of my license, result in me being unable to continue that career due to an arrest while protesting 7 months ago.

And you have no idea in turn what anyone else's situation is. And yet you seen real keen to judge them while being offended when it's turned around on you.

We should perhaps refrain from too much judgement without any information.

shryke on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

No?
    huh.

How dare you.

So it's special when it's you? Everyone else is supposed to drop everything but you're an exception? I mean you've little right to bang on people for being condensending with the way you've been acting..

Particularity when you keep ignoring the evidence people post of what *has* been happening..

edited August 2019
    Did I say it's special? No.

But the fact that we can't even get more than 4000 people at a protest in Denver on a Saturday - that's telling. There are more people on Sixteenth St Mall for breakfast on a Saturday morning than there were for protest.

That's telling.

We've hit that limit - America will forever be known for consenting to this. We have learned literally nothing.

This is already horrifyingly worse than anyone imagined on election day. They will keep ratcheting up the horror one day at a time until you won't even recognize the country anymore, and wondering when the time to act? It had already passed.

We are the monsters we've decried.

Priest on
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I think people are feeling helpless. There were large protests to start off with. Republicans ignored them. What do we do, larger protests?

And there was also the terror attack at Charlottesville. You've gotta think twice about protest if you might get killed. Which is precisely what they want I guess.

CelestialBadger on
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    It takes MLK, it takes Malcolm X, it takes Bernie Sanders, it takes Justin Amash, it takes Heather Heyer, it takes Will Van Spronsen, it takes Don Cheadle, it takes Never Again Is Now, it takes Beto O'Rourke, it takes Lin-Manuel Miranda, it takes Chris at the voting booth, it takes RBG, it takes AOC, it takes sanctuary cities/churches/houses, it takes local mayors, it takes everyone in this thread. This is not going to be a quickly-won fight, or a fight won by any one group. It's an all-hands-on-deck, slow process of cutting out a festering infection from our society's body by any means necessary. Massive public demonstration protests are only one action out of many we can use, and their presence or absence at any given moment should not be taken as the sole indicator of the movement's health.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2019
    Everyone take a step back to cool off right now. Come back when you've figured out how to treat each other like people who are different and also care very much about this situation, because that is clearly the case.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    Did I say it's special? No.

But the fact that we can't even get more than 4000 people at a protest in Denver on a Saturday - that's telling. There are more people on Sixteenth St Mall for breakfast on a Saturday morning than there were for protest.

That's telling.

We've hit that limit - America will forever be known for consenting to this. We have learned literally nothing.

This is already horrifyingly worse than anyone imagined on election day. They will keep ratcheting up the horror one day at a time until you won't even recognize the country anymore, and wondering when the time to act? It had already passed.

We are the monsters we've decried.

The time to act was November 2016. People elected Trump though. So after that, you've got to wait till November 2020 to get rid of Trump. That's how Democracy works.

You can protest and yell and all that but in this case it's of limited effectiveness. Because, like, why should Trump care? He's the only one with the power to actually change this and he has significant numbers behind him and they like what he's doing.

You can protest, you can yell, you can vote in the next election, you can organize and all that. But there's not really much that can be immediately done.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Meanwhile...

Jeff Merkley is a US Senator from Oregon

What asswipes.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I think there is still something of a point to what Priest is saying.

It's ugly, but to a distressing degree, our country is complacent with this. It's a result of countless factors, from our nation's inability to reckon with the ways white supremacy has shaped our culture and our immigration laws, to our paradoxical relationship with authority (a nation that repeatedly calls upon its history as a revolutionary state that warred against its parent government, yet holds a strong authoritarian impulse dating back to that revolution being a shift in which aristocrats got to sit at the top), and the fact that the creep of fascism that turns the institutions of society against the vulnerable and then against itself is itself regularly ignored in just about every society in which fascism takes hold (see the old Niemöller poem).

At some point, we have to look at what's happening around us and say that while there are plenty of people doing things to help, by and large the nation is just desperately trying to live its own disparate, seemingly unconnected lives while all this shit happens and we hope someone will fix it for us.

We are generations raised on the mythos of the post-war American Victory over Fascism. Generations raised on the idea that we would never allow such a thing to happen here, and we would stand against it when it happens, because we were raised on images of cartoonish, easily identified brownshirts and jackboots.

We were never raised with the realities of how intermingled it all happened to be in the rise of European fascism. That it was welcomed by many in the public, that the people there too valued their own lives over the nightmare that didn't stage some violent coup or what not, but used the very legal structures of government to take power "legitimately." We were never raised with America's own influence upon Nazism thanks to our race laws, or our own American Nazis who rose to political prominence before the war (Mayor La Guardia once had to promise Marvel Comics, then Timely, that he would allow no harm to come to them as the American Nazis threatened them over the cover of Captain America #1, where Cap punched Hitler in the face).

We have been conditioned into a sort of helplessness, our livings made precarious by the structure of the economy and we have been made too disperse and unconnected from each other's lives.

But in the end there is still the lingering question: "At what point do we allow that to keep us from doing what we know is right, and at what point will come the day where evil triumphs because we did not do enough."

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    I think the question of whether we're doing enough is entirely fair. But I think any answer has to incorporate what "doing more" in the sense of effecting real change actually looks like. If, for example, everyone who thought current administration policy was monstrous was out there protesting every day, would that have a practical effect? If not, what's the point?

Things like donating money to charitable causes can measurably help, but a lot of those efforts are invisible. You can't look at someone and know if they just gave money to RAICES or anything. And by objective metrics - i.e, actual money donated - people are doing shit.

It's also worth considering that immigration and racism are the most high profile crises right now, but they're far from the only ones. Reproductive freedoms are under attack, money is being cut from all manner of government programs, the environment is (often literally) on fire - the are all issues that need attention, and it's not necessarily fair to bag on someone because they're choosing to fight for women or LGBT people or a just criminal justice system or the environment instead of immigrants and minorities.

"What more can we be doing right now?" is an excellent question, but we also need to accept that the answer might be "realistically, not much."

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • LabelLabel Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I would love to see a really good breakdown of the money aspect of this shit, tied with a protest movement raising awareness and pushing businesses and donors around.

Up to and including, if given enough detail, all the places Trump-abetting Congressfolk get their money from.

This is not about persuasion. This is about power. Do not ask them to stop, instead break their re-election machine, their media-and-disinformation machine. And that machine runs on money.

Sleeping Giants is great. It is also tiny. The scope of the problem is much larger than just Breitbart.

Label on
    edited August 2019
    Lanz wrote: »

It's ugly, but to a distressing degree, our country is complacent with this. It's a result of countless factors, from our nation's inability to reckon with the ways white supremacy has shaped our culture and our immigration laws, to our paradoxical relationship with authority (a nation that repeatedly calls upon its history as a revolutionary state that warred against its parent government, yet holds a strong authoritarian impulse dating back to that revolution being a shift in which aristocrats got to sit at the top), and the fact that the creep of fascism that turns the institutions of society against the vulnerable and then against itself is itself regularly ignored in just about every society in which fascism takes hold (see the old Niemöller poem).

At some point, we have to look at what's happening around us and say that while there are plenty of people doing things to help, by and large the nation is just desperately trying to live its own disparate, seemingly unconnected lives while all this shit happens and we hope someone will fix it for us.

We are generations raised on the mythos of the post-war American Victory over Fascism. Generations raised on the idea that we would never allow such a thing to happen here, and we would stand against it when it happens, because we were raised on images of cartoonish, easily identified brownshirts and jackboots.

We were never raised with the realities of how intermingled it all happened to be in the rise of European fascism. That it was welcomed by many in the public, that the people there too valued their own lives over the nightmare that didn't stage some violent coup or what not, but used the very legal structures of government to take power "legitimately." We were never raised with America's own influence upon Nazism thanks to our race laws, or our own American Nazis who rose to political prominence before the war (Mayor La Guardia once had to promise Marvel Comics, then Timely, that he would allow no harm to come to them as the American Nazis threatened them over the cover of Captain America #1, where Cap punched Hitler in the face).

We have been conditioned into a sort of helplessness, our livings made precarious by the structure of the economy and we have been made too disperse and unconnected from each other's lives.

But in the end there is still the lingering question: "At what point do we allow that to keep us from doing what we know is right, and at what point will come the day where evil triumphs because we did not do enough."

There's an election in just over a year. I mean, every time this rhetoric comes up there's always the question of "Ok, so what should people be doing? When are you planning to storm the barricades or whatever?". And there's the simple fact that there's still elections and Democratic politicians going about their daily business and despite all the nazi comparisons thrown around there's still gonna be elections in November 2020 and sooner and later and so I'm not really sure why anyone thinks people are gonna start shooting when they could just vote instead.

There is a continued mismatch between the the heated rhetoric used and the actual options open to people and the suggested actions being implied.

shryke on
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I mean I was also telling people this was coming long before it happened because it actually wasn't that hard to predict. This is exactly what I spent 2013 to 2016 fuckin yelling about to everyone I could. Everyone thought I was crazy and this could never happen.

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Lanz wrote: »

There's an election in just over a year. I mean, every time this rhetoric comes up there's always the question of "Ok, so what should people be doing? When are you planning to storm the barricades or whatever?". And there's the simple fact that there's still elections and Democratic politicians going about their daily business and despite all the nazi comparisons thrown around there's still gonna be elections in November 2020 and sooner and later and so I'm not really sure why anyone thinks people are gonna start shooting when they could just vote instead.

There is a continued mismatch between the the heated rhetoric used and the actual options open to people and the suggested actions being implied.

I think part of the existential dread some of us are feeling right now has to do with a waning trust in the viability of American democracy. I said it in this thread a few weeks ago and I'll say it again: what if you can't trust the election results? We already know there are outside forces seeking to manipulate the election. We also already know that this administration has done literally nothing to address that threat. The response I got at the time was that well, we just need to vote harder. Win by a landslide. How confident are we that that is possible? If you need 60% of the vote, or more, to even have a chance to win, how is that a reasonable ask? What if even 60% isn't enough? Does a threshold exist where we have to admit to ourselves that the very democratic foundation of the electoral system is failing? How can you possibly fall back on "democracy will save us" if the underlying system designed to protect that democracy has been compromised?

Hope for the best (vote Trump out!), but prepare for the worst. Optimism is important in times like these, but I can't think we can ignore the reality that he might win another term. Are we prepared for that?

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I appreciate how we got to talking about it, but the thread's about immigration, not the inevitable decline and fall into barbarism of the USA.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    So Americans sitting on their asses about this is pretty much silent consent at this point, and you'd be hard pressed to convince me otherwise.

What do you want? Half the country actively supports it and the other half is doing some combination of donating to/volunteering for organizations that help, protesting, pressuring elected officials, and waiting for the next election. Like, if you're looking for people to storm ICE facilities, a) that's a good way to get shot, b) I don't really know what you'd do with the people you freed, and c) it's frowned upon to even talk about on these forums.

What would you want to have been done against concentration camps?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    So Americans sitting on their asses about this is pretty much silent consent at this point, and you'd be hard pressed to convince me otherwise.

What do you want? Half the country actively supports it and the other half is doing some combination of donating to/volunteering for organizations that help, protesting, pressuring elected officials, and waiting for the next election. Like, if you're looking for people to storm ICE facilities, a) that's a good way to get shot, b) I don't really know what you'd do with the people you freed, and c) it's frowned upon to even talk about on these forums.

I honestly can't think of anything that CAN be done to actually stop concentration camps until the next election.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    EDIT: whoops, seems I missed where this was posted already.

So we are apparently refusing Flu Vaccines to all the people we're holding together in cages for no reason. Because the thread can be about immigration and US barbarism at the same time.
    The U.S. won’t be vaccinating migrant families in holding centers ahead of this year’s flu season, despite calls from doctors to boost efforts to fight the infection that’s killed at least three children at detention facilities in the past year.

“In general, due to the short-term nature of CBP holding and the complexities of operating vaccination programs, neither CBP nor its medical contractors administer vaccinations to those in our custody,” a Customs and Border Protection spokeswoman said in an emailed statement.

At least three children who were held in detention centers after crossing into the U.S. from Mexico have died in recent months, in part, from the flu, according to a letter to Reps. Rosa DeLauro, D-Conn., and Lucille Roybal-Allard, D-Calif., from several doctors urging Congress to investigate health conditions at the centers.
    “I can tell you from personal experience that child deaths are rare events,” Harvard pediatrics professor Dr. Jonathan Winickoff said in an email. Winickoff signed on to the Aug. 1 letter with forensic pathologist Judy Melinek and Johns Hopkins public health professors Dr. Joshua Sharfstein and Dr. Paul Spiegel.

They said the U.S. death rate in children from the flu is about 1 in 600,000. So far, three children have died out of 200,000 people held at detention facilities along the border, they wrote.

“When I learned that multiple children had died in detention from potentially preventable causes, it truly disturbed me,” Winickoff said. “The country needs urgent answers to that question so that children stop dying in detention.”

Winickoff said that current holding conditions, like being placed in close proximity to other immigrants, make it easy to spread infectious diseases from person to person. He added that contracting the flu weakens a child’s immune system, making it harder to fight off other illnesses.

“A child might start out with flu but then die of another infection,” he added.

Viskod on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

A non violent protest of ~5% of the population has been shown to effectively topple any regime. So, if it comes to it, that. But, for right now our quickest path is winning the election in 2020.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2019
    edit: you know what this was a stupid thing to say

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    My suspicion is that the time and money required to go on strike or drive to a detainment camp and charge the gates could more effectively be spent donated to charities and political campaigns actually designed to fight this stuff in an organized fashion.

If the half of the country opposed to this drove to their nearest camp and ran at the gates, you would just have a whole lot of dead people.

If that half of the country instead worked for campaigns and reliably voted for the right politicians, the entirety of state and federal governments would change to Democratic control in 2020.

"Why aren't you guys literally giving your lives to right this injustice?" is a nice slogan for folks living in another country and watching this from afar, but it's stupid advice by every possible metric.

I was gonna say that I don't think ICE would just fire at (white) American citizens but then I remembered the Kent State shootings.

That said I don't think anyone is advocating that you storm the camps and try to free the prisoners. Strikes and physical protests are effective means of forcing change without necessarily involving fighting the cops. Donating to charities and voting for politicians who would end this aren't the only or even most effective ways, if anything protests are necessary to lend weight to legal and political challenges.

But as @never die pointed out, both are actually happening. People are protesting, donating and voting and it is having effect. I think people should and can do more, but obviously the state has far more power to enforce policy so the fact that this criminal shit is happening doesn't mean Americans in general are complacent per se.

• JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I think a/the major reason for why progress from these actions is slow and why it seems like little protest is happening is the complacency from the media. There are literally crimes against humanity happening and most of them are more concerned with an election happening next year, whatever latest dumb thing Trump said, and the general meaningless status-quo bullshit they are always talking about.

Based on the CNN and WaPo websites, this stuff gets reasonable coverage. Every time something new happens, or there's another report out, it shows up in the news. But there are a few things getting in the way:

First, other news is happening. The fed is attacking abortion rights, or a state literally catches fire because of climate change, or SCOTUS hands down some godawful new ruling, or someone talks about impeachment. There's only so much room on the front page, and shit happens fast, so immigration issues get pushed out.

Second, news media report news. And unfortunately, "everything still sucks" isn't news, it's status quo.

I don't know what's happening on cable news, because fuck cable news, but I don't think the media is doing a terrible job at the basic level of telling us what's happening.

• MillMill Registered User regular
    Nah, it's more an issue of our shitty corporate media not wanting to report on this because they don't want to upset the shitty republican party. Also calling out the shitty republican party for being the party of racist shit lords promoting human rights violations could decimate the GOP future elections, which would probably do a number on several shitty pro-oligarch policies that the owners of the corporate media back. It's not that they are more concerned with reporting next years elections than they are about the human rights violations, it's just they feel the elections are a good enough excuse to ignore those human rights violations without having to give up their access to republican politicians or potentially derail any policies they want that those politicians are working on.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

This is the result of the Trump admin making being brown illegal. I just can't even.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Wow.

“Our policy is to detain every brown person we can find.”

Wow.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Yeah, there is absolutely zero jusification for that. It makes no sense unless you're just actively being racist. Like, you can't even square that away with being tough on immigration, as all arresting that dude did is waste taxpayer time and money.

Literally the only reason to do it is to make this dude suffer because he's brown and to terrorize anyone else who is brown.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Lol literally the family guy meme

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    So, he'll probably win the lawsuit. But is this gonna be another Sheriff Joe situation where conservative sheriffs doing illegal and reprehensible shit face no consequences personally because conservatives love that shit and support him?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    Especially, since I believe SCOTUS has even ruled that law enforcement can't hold someone just because someone at ICE asked them to. IIRC it's the big reason why you're not seeing a ton of rural CA law enforcement offices whining about CA laws that prevent them from working with ICE because it finally gave them a nice out to tell ICE no. For the longest time a ton of them felt the ruling was still vague enough that it put them in a catch-22. If they detained someone they ran the risk of getting dinged for illegally detaining someone longer than was warranted. If they blew ICE off they could run into other issues, I gather it was shit ICE could do to cause them problems. Also the runs not run for asshole racists, also didn't like how getting dragged into the immigration shit show could negatively fuck up their ability to do their job. I think it's only the law enforcement offices run by actually racists and white supremacists in rural CA, that are unhappy that they aren't allowed to work with ICE.

I'm reminded, anyone know if there has been any headway made against the bullshit ruling that essentially lets ICE get away with jailing US Citizens, if they happen to do it long enough because the statue of limitations only applies to the first day they were illegally detained and any day thereafter doesn't restart the clock?

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    "Torres was booked at the Ascension Parish Jail, and the next day the Parish Court ordered his release."

And was then held for ANOTHER THREE DAYS.

As reprehensible as holding him at all was, given he had more than sufficient documentation, that they're just ignoring judicial orders is fucking scary stuff.

Preacher wrote: »

This is the result of the Trump admin making being brown illegal. I just can't even.

He had enough ID to cross almost any border on the planet but not enough to cross the street in Louisiana.

This discussion has been closed.