As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Based on the CNN and WaPo websites, this stuff gets reasonable coverage. Every time something new happens, or there's another report out, it shows up in the news. But there are a few things getting in the way:

First, other news is happening. The fed is attacking abortion rights, or a state literally catches fire because of climate change, or SCOTUS hands down some godawful new ruling, or someone talks about impeachment. There's only so much room on the front page, and shit happens fast, so immigration issues get pushed out.

Second, news media report news. And unfortunately, "everything still sucks" isn't news, it's status quo.

I don't know what's happening on cable news, because fuck cable news, but I don't think the media is doing a terrible job at the basic level of telling us what's happening.

I think tv/cable news is probably the worst but I don't think coverage from other media is acceptable given the horribleness of this. And I don't think "there is other news and this isn't news" is sufficient explanation either. For one a lot of the other news isn't important or significant, and second the media doesn't only report news, they create it and also discuss it. NYT columnists aren't obligated to write about breaking news, and in any event they just write about being bullied on twitter or whatever.

They media don't only have the job of reporting the news. They are the means by which we can gain information about society and the public interest. "Everything still sucks" is as important to discuss as some breaking news.

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

This is the result of the Trump admin making being brown illegal. I just can't even.

He had enough ID to cross almost any border on the planet but not enough to cross the street in Louisiana.

Now add the fact that you've got ethnic neighbourhoods, flu season, limited public health initiatives in those areas. Then a refusal to vaccinate a diverse group of children of the same ethnicity and a policy of sending US citizens of the same ethnicity there for brief periods of time.

I mean it's not quite smallpox blankets, but...

I also don't even want to think about the standard of care when you've got immigrant children in flu season and guards who are scared of catching it, especially after the first death (given children are a group that is specifically vulnerable, even more so if they're not probably fed or living in unhygienic conditions). They're going to just lock them in and chuck food over the fence, deal with the rest in Spring.

• madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    "Torres was booked at the Ascension Parish Jail, and the next day the Parish Court ordered his release."

And was then held for ANOTHER THREE DAYS.

As reprehensible as holding him at all was, given he had more than sufficient documentation, that they're just ignoring judicial orders is fucking scary stuff.

details are lacking in the story, but even money that they did this on a Friday deliberately so that even if a judge ordered his release, they could throw up their hands and say "welp, everyone's gone home for the weekend so there's no one to unlock the cell door, guess he's stuck till Monday"

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Pretty sure the scheduling of responses to judicial orders isn't a thing people get to have opinions like that about.

Zibblsnrt on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Yeah at this point I'd rather drop dead than risk going to the South.

Edit - If anyone is wondering about the thread title change it isn't a joke. If local governments / law enforcement are operating at that level of racial profiling, I'm considering it actually dangerous to travel through those states.

Henroid on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Edit - If anyone is wondering about the thread title change it isn't a joke. If local governments / law enforcement are operating at that level of racial profiling, I'm considering it actually dangerous to travel through those states.

Trump is looking to help the print industry by making green books required travel reading again.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Tastyfish wrote: »

This is the result of the Trump admin making being brown illegal. I just can't even.

He had enough ID to cross almost any border on the planet but not enough to cross the street in Louisiana.

Now add the fact that you've got ethnic neighbourhoods, flu season, limited public health initiatives in those areas. Then a refusal to vaccinate a diverse group of children of the same ethnicity and a policy of sending US citizens of the same ethnicity there for brief periods of time.

I also don't even want to think about the standard of care when you've got immigrant children in flu season and guards who are scared of catching it, especially after the first death (given children are a group that is specifically vulnerable, even more so if they're not probably fed or living in unhygienic conditions). They're going to just lock them in and chuck food over the fence, deal with the rest in Spring.

This is 100% tactics. Make the 'foreigners' sick, so you can add "they bring disease" to the 'reasons' you need to put them in concentration camps.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

This is 100% tactics. Make the 'foreigners' sick, so you can add "they bring disease" to the 'reasons' you need to put them in concentration camps.

And move those camps to more isolated areas due to the health concerns.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

His family also had MORE proof of citizenship ready to go, presumably just in case.

I seriously doubt, even given a day to prepare, that I could prove my own citizenship to the extent that he was prepared for.

Edit: According to the ACLU's press release, the sheriff's office confirmed to the ACLU that this was a matter of policy for anyone with a Spanish surname who has an encounter with deputies. Man, you're supposed to fucking pretend, you're going to ruin it for everyone!

Hevach on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

His family also had MORE proof of citizenship ready to go, presumably just in case.

I seriously doubt, even given a day to prepare, that I could prove my own citizenship to the extent that he was prepared for.

Edit: According to the ACLU's press release, the sheriff's office confirmed to the ACLU that this was a matter of policy for anyone with a Spanish surname who has an encounter with deputies. Man, you're supposed to fucking pretend, you're going to ruin it for everyone!

If only there were some sort of constitutional amendment specifically barring this kind of policy...

fuck gendered marketing
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Good to know you guys really love your Constitution over there. I mean, after all, it's the foundation of your exemplary democracy, I can't imagine anyone would ever violate it. I'm sure everyone is just as fervent about upholding its amendments equally, right? I mean, the 2nd is just as important as the 4th, right?

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    .I seriously doubt, even given a day to prepare, that I could prove my own citizenship to the extent that he was prepared for.

Just for informational purposes, obtain a copy of your birth certificate. Something you'd need to get, well, any other piece of ID you might need. Then get a fire resistant safe to keep them in.

But then, if you're innocent white you have nothing to fear.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/hamedaleaziz/justice-department-immigration-judges-white-nationalist

So the trump DOJ sent a link to a white nationlist website to immigration court employees this week. I don't fucking even.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/hamedaleaziz/justice-department-immigration-judges-white-nationalist

So the trump DOJ sent a link to a white nationlist website to immigration court employees this week. I don't fucking even.

Their defense is that the email was compiled by a contractor

The contractor’s defense is that the email was created algorithmically and not reviewed by anyone prior to submission

These aren’t actually like, defenses

fuck gendered marketing
  • Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

The contractor’s defense is that the email was created algorithmically and not reviewed by anyone prior to submission

They're not meant to be a defense. They don't care what you or I think. This is just what's going to be done and fuck you for not liking it.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

They probably just don't give a shit. Generally one should go with a variation on hanlon's razor.

daveNYC wrote: »

They are moving the camps so people can't see what's going on in them. And because they desperately need the space

shryke on
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

They probably just don't give a shit. Generally one should go with a variation on hanlon's razor.

They are moving the camps so people can't see what's going on in them. And because they desperately need the space

The health concerns would be the excuse.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

The health concerns would be the excuse.

They don't need an excuse and were floating this idea weeks/months ago.

edited August 2019

You couldn't, even if you had all the documentation on hand.

If they're challenging people at random like that, they've already decided their targets aren't supposed to be here and they're not going to let things like evidence get in the way of that. It's been going on for awhile anyway - things like this, officials deciding natural born citizens aren't real citizens because they only have a birth certificate and not a family Bible, etc.

Defenses based around having the documentation to prove you're within the rules are meaningless if the other side doesn't recognize the rules.

Zibblsnrt on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    A lot of Mexican people have their documentation in order / at the ready as a result of all the shit that's been going on the last couple years. My family has stood as prepared as possible should the worst happen for anyone in it. So I mean, yeah, you may not have your stuff in order, but how much of a target by this administration's racism are you by comparison?

Edit - Like this is why getting my license renewed at the start of this year was a paralyzing experience for me and the anxiety in the months leading up to it did my health no favors.

Henroid on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2019

The fact that he didn't just try to obfuscate on this one says to me that he is probably not down with it. Having this kind of policy puts a tremendous strain on local authorities, who are not necessarily properly compensated for extra work that is stupid. The sheriff saying "I'm supposed to do this I don't know what to tell you" strikes me more as a statement of "don't look at me, this is stupid waste of my time" than "I'm not even going to bother covering my terrible opinion of people who have the nerve to have a certain name."

edit: or I could be talking out of my ass. I can't find the thing I was looking for about it so that's just my instinctual read on the admission itself.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    I dunno, he could just be another wannabe Arpaio.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »

The fact that he didn't just try to obfuscate on this one says to me that he is probably not down with it. Having this kind of policy puts a tremendous strain on local authorities, who are not necessarily properly compensated for extra work that is stupid. The sheriff saying "I'm supposed to do this I don't know what to tell you" strikes me more as a statement of "don't look at me, this is stupid waste of my time" than "I'm not even going to bother covering my terrible opinion of people who have the nerve to have a certain name."

edit: or I could be talking out of my ass. I can't find the thing I was looking for about it so that's just my instinctual read on the admission itself.

Admitting that publicly is basically conceding the lawsuit though, so...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Polaritie wrote: »
    ceres wrote: »

Admitting that publicly is basically conceding the lawsuit though, so...

I mean... yeah. I'm just not sure if it constitutes malice against latinx on the part of the sheriff's department or frustration with ICE. Anecdotally, where I live there is a ton of that frustration because they're tasked with doing weird shit and also keeping the area "pristine" for the local tourism industry, and they don't care about chasing down undocumented people or dreamers who don't make problems for them, they have enough to do. It's just not worth it to argue with ICE.

The only reason I know this is because I spoke to some officers at a rally I attended who were tasked with making sure there was absolutely no trouble outside the ICE office or they would be forced to start checking ID, and they really didn't want to do that, so that was the compromise. The rally could happen, they would stand outside the stupid building they were told to move it to while glaring meaningfully at people, and if everybody stayed off the steps and respected their permit nobody would need to deal with ICE any more than necessary that day.

Despite all that there were a bunch of fucking white people determined to turn it into civil disobedience even after this explanation from volunteer staff of which I was a part because THE MAN without any concern for the undocumented people in attendance that they were supposed to be there to support and it was endlessly frustrating.

edited August 2019
    Like these people are trying to be present to raise awareness for and defend their existence, the local police knew that and argued in favor of them not having to card people, you're meant to be here to support the oppressed, can you please not get them detained you willfully ignorant and negligent assholes just because you want to pat yourself on the back for doing a thing

ceres on
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    The sort of thing where in private they apologize and advise off the record they sue the shit out of the county to change it.

I'm willing to concede that's happened in places before but it seems optimistic just because of my opinion on Louisiana law enforcement.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    And now for something a little different.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article234263332.html

Context from: https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article234228592.html
    Hiram Enrique Velez is certain of several things.

His name is Hiram Velez, and he’s a Republican and staunch supporter of President Donald Trump.

“Yes, I signed up to vote and I voted,” Velez testified Wednesday in the third day of his federal trial on voter fraud charges. “I’m a Republican and I voted for Donald Trump, too.

“I’ve always voted for my Republican Party.”

In fact, Velez has voted in elections dating back two decades, and that is a problem for the U.S. government, which says Velez is not a citizen and is not actually Hiram Velez.

Instead, prosecutors say the Sacramento man actually is a Mexican citizen named Gustavo Araujo Lerma, who assumed the identity of a Puerto Rican-born man named Hiram Velez when he bought a birth certificate and Social Security card for $200 in Chicago in 1992.

There's a lot more in that second article.

Anyway:
    A jury on Friday found a Sacramento man guilty on all counts in a case charging him with being a Mexican citizen who assumed an American’s identity and voted in five federal elections.

Gustavo Araujo Lerma, who has insisted he is an American-born man named Hiram Enrique Velez, was found guilty on all seven counts by a jury in federal court in Sacramento.

Velez showed no emotion as the verdict was read by U.S. District Judge John A. Mendez, and family members declined to comment afterward.

Mendez set sentencing for Nov. 26, and Mendez could face at least two years in prison for his conviction on a count of aggravated identity theft.

The defendant has been held in custody since his 2017 indictment by a federal grand jury and faced one count of aggravated identity theft, one count of making a false statement on a passport application and five counts of voting by an alien in federal elections from 2012 through 2016.

Prosecutors say Lerma voted illegally for the past 20 years, using the Hiram Velez identity that he adopted after buying a birth certificate and Social Security card in that name in Chicago in 1992.

I have not been following super closely, I do not know what degrees of evidence either side presented, but sometimes refreshing to have an example of the system actually going through its normal process?

Also, irony at the potential of an illegal immigrant voting via stolen identity and voting for Trump.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    That is absolutely going to be sold as "this shows why we need stronger voter fraud laws to keep illegal immigrants from voting for Democrats."

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Also, irony at the potential of an illegal immigrant voting via stolen identity and voting for Trump.

I guess Mexico isn't sending its best....

I really need to know if the prosecution provided evidence that he was a Mexican citizen or not. Juries are not the best at figuring shit out.

Also as far as "doubt" goes in court, it goes the other way around; if the prosecution's case was to cast doubt on the guy's citizenship status, that's fucked up.

• madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    What happens when your detainees start to assert their rights with the help of a charity? You block the charity's free hotline.
    In the fifth episode of the last season of Netflix’s “Orange Is the New Black,” the character Maritza, who has been languishing in an immigrant detention center, finds out about a toll-free hotline she can call to get a free lawyer. As she’s rejoicing, another character, Gloria, cuts her off.

Gloria warns Maritza: “You have to be careful, though. Apparently if they figure out that you’re using the hotline, Big Brother shuts it down.”

That’s exactly what happened, advocates say. Immigration and Customs Enforcement shut down a real hotline for detained immigrants run by the California group Freedom for Immigrants less than two weeks after it was prominently featured on the show.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I really need to know if the prosecution provided evidence that he was a Mexican citizen or not. Juries are not the best at figuring shit out.

Also as far as "doubt" goes in court, it goes the other way around; if the prosecution's case was to cast doubt on the guy's citizenship status, that's fucked up.

This was the prosecution's claim:
    The evidence will show that the defendant was born in Mexico in 1955, married a woman named Maria Manriquez in 1982, and had two children with her in Mexico in the 1980s,” according to a trial brief filed by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Katherine Lydon and Shea Kenny. “By the early 1990s, he began living in the United States, fraudulently using the identity of a Puerto Rican-born United States citizen named Hiram Velez.

Can't find mention of what that evidence actually was, but that seems like a really specific theory to risk a case on if it wasn't very good. Seems like they already had him pretty cold on the identify theft.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Elldren wrote: »

Update: Still not a defense, and also not true, according to the contractor.
    “That’s absolutely incorrect,” said TechMIS CEO Steven Mains, adding that EOIR was the most specific and particular of the company’s clients. The agency’s staff would review its work “down to misspellings” if there was anything wrong before sending, he said.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/hamedaleaziz/vdare-doj-dol-epoch-times?__twitter_impression=true

Nor was this the first alt-right fringe article, nor the first VDare article.

EOIR cancelled the newsletter after BuzzFeed asked them to comment on that.
    On Friday afternoon, immigration court employees were informed that they would no longer receive the briefing and were told to subscribe to a DOJ-wide briefing if they were interested. This instruction was sent hours after BuzzFeed News reached out to DOJ officials for comment on the discovery of the additional VDare links.

No doubt they were shocked, just shocked, to learn of this.

Edit:

I'm not sure whether it speaks ill of that contractor, or their clients, that a review of a newsletter going all the way "down to misspellings" was considered noteworthy.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    Two things, one relevant and the other anecdotal.

The first was shared in the Freedom of the Press thread; a Canadian journalist was denied entry to the USA by way of claim that she would be "taking a job away" from an American (journalist). Thing is, Canadian journalists don't require visas to enter the USA, which extends to work visas. While this is leverage in Trump's war against the press' freedoms, it's also demonstrative of the USA's increasing hostility via customs and border checking.

Which brings me to the second thing; during the past couple of weeks the DotA 2 International (a tournament with 20 - 30 million dollars for a prize pool) was ongoing, held in Shanghai this year. The first was in Germany, but then there was a block of 6 in Seattle. Curiously, after 2017 (Trump's first year) they've had an interest in being elsewhere. In 2018 the International was held in Vancouver, and 2020 is going to be held in Stockholm. Now obviously this could just be a coincidence as they would naturally have an interest in going around the globe. Me, personally, I think they discovered how inconvenient it was getting to make sure the players could actually be at the event and dodged a pretty big bullet. Especially since hostility toward even visitors has been growing.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

The first was shared in the Freedom of the Press thread; a Canadian journalist was denied entry to the USA by way of claim that she would be "taking a job away" from an American (journalist). Thing is, Canadian journalists don't require visas to enter the USA, which extends to work visas. While this is leverage in Trump's war against the press' freedoms, it's also demonstrative of the USA's increasing hostility via customs and border checking.

Which brings me to the second thing; during the past couple of weeks the DotA 2 International (a tournament with 20 - 30 million dollars for a prize pool) was ongoing, held in Shanghai this year. The first was in Germany, but then there was a block of 6 in Seattle. Curiously, after 2017 (Trump's first year) they've had an interest in being elsewhere. In 2018 the International was held in Vancouver, and 2020 is going to be held in Stockholm. Now obviously this could just be a coincidence as they would naturally have an interest in going around the globe. Me, personally, I think they discovered how inconvenient it was getting to make sure the players could actually be at the event and dodged a pretty big bullet. Especially since hostility toward even visitors has been growing.

I work at a major university. The increased hostility - direct and via malicious interpretation of the rules - has cost us several conferences and applications.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Carolyn Dunn is a reporter for the CBC, one of Canada's largest news organizations and the public broadcaster.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Carolyn Dunn is a reporter for the CBC, one of Canada's largest news organizations and the public broadcaster.

Look at all those jobs she stole from hardworking American Canadian journalists.

steam_sig.png
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    She was also only going to be there for a week

With a booked hotel and return flight

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

I work at a major university. The increased hostility - direct and via malicious interpretation of the rules - has cost us several conferences and applications.
    Yeah all my societies have stopped holding their yearly conferences in the states. Too much of a risk that invited speakers won't make it.

• Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019

I don't disagree in the slightest and the response I've been getting in the Gun Control thread for saying "Hey, minorities use weapons in self defense a lot and have historically to great effect in hostile conditions." is fuckin' wild. There is basically a mostly cold civil war happening down here and in the PNW right now; and law enforcement is a lot more infiltrated down here than it is up there.

Giggles_Funsworth on
This discussion has been closed.