As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Captain [MARVEL] Vs. The Evil Avengers

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Lee's daughter just wants money, not condolences.

So what you're saying is she's a good daughter who understood her father.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    It sounds like Donny Cates will be taking over Thor following Jason Aaron's run ending in December. He has consistently said that Thor is one of his favorite Marvel characters and a dream book of his and he did an episode of Word Balloon recently where he said his next big project was a "dream gig" and then that "following Jason Aaron on anything is tough" later in the episode when he hasn't actually taken over a book from Aaron before.

He's a pretty good pick and it makes sense with how much he has incorporated Thor stuff into his Venom run. He can also maintain a similar tone to Aaron which will be nice, giving Thor a consistent "feel" as a character for nearly a decade is something that shouldn't be as rare as it is.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    It sounds like Donny Cates will be taking over Thor following Jason Aaron's run ending in December. He has consistently said that Thor is one of his favorite Marvel characters and a dream book of his and he did an episode of Word Balloon recently where he said his next big project was a "dream gig" and then that "following Jason Aaron on anything is tough" later in the episode when he hasn't actually taken over a book from Aaron before.

He's a pretty good pick and it makes sense with how much he has incorporated Thor stuff into his Venom run. He can also maintain a similar tone to Aaron which will be nice, giving Thor a consistent "feel" as a character for nearly a decade is something that shouldn't be as rare as it is.
    Holy shit! That's awesome!

Cates's Venom was the first thing I ever read by him, and I went from "let's see I guess, I don't even care about Venom" to "full-on 100% sold" after like one issue. I'm pretty excited to see what he can do with Thor.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    What's the state of Venom right now? I haven't checked in since that first Agent Venom line ended

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    What's the state of Venom right now? I haven't checked in since that first Agent Venom line ended
    It is very good but very different

The short version is that symbiotes have been given a defined origin, tying into the MU and the widely beloved Jason Aaron Thor run. They are the creations of Knull, a primordial cosmic god who was born before light came to the universe.

The symbiote were his army and intended to be mindless weapons but after his most powerful creation (which is also Grendel from Beowulf) was taken out by Thor in ye olde times his connection to the hive was severed and they all developed sentience and independence and turned on him. The planet of the symbiote is a massive jail cell for him, constructed entirely of symbiotes holding him back. And the main thrust of the book is a plot to release Knull from his prison.

On a smaller level, it has really gone in depth on Eddie and the symbiote's relationship and how toxic and unhealthy it is for both of them despite both wanting to be better. This comes to a head when
    the symbiote reveals it no longer needs a host and willingly leaves Eddie so that they can both try to be better people. Which doesn't go great for Eddie

It is really, really good and has become one of Marvel's top titles for the first time since the 90s, really. It balances the cosmic horror and street level grime and drama very well.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Ms Marvel is apparently going to be a Disney+ thing, rather than a film

No timetable or other dates but still, interesting. Hopefully the Falcon/Bucky stuff, WandaVision etc means that the characters will move in both directions this time because if there's ever someone who needs to meet the "main" cast it's Kamala Khan

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Will be interesting to see if they can make live action stretchy powers look good enough and also not insane body horror.
    Gonna have to figure that out for both Ms Marvel and for Fantastic Four.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    That article doesn’t indicate if this is a Marvel Studios/Feige joint or Marvel TV/Loeb.

Which is kinda crucial.

• Options
    Has Loeb gotten anything announced for Disney Plus?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I thought all the plus shows were Studios productions by design? So they can do things like have a Falcon/Bucky show in the first place.
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see if they can make live action stretchy powers look good enough and also not insane body horror.
    Gonna have to figure that out for both Ms Marvel and for Fantastic Four.

to be fair stretchy powers are inherently body horror so it'll be difficult to avoid that

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Yeah it's inherently creepy, but your comic book civilian characters are generally not screaming in terror while the hero's doing their Tetsuo blob impersonation for the badguys.
    There's a real tricky balancing act there between bad looking cg, sillyness, and horror.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm kind of disappointed that Venom left Flash tbh

• Options
    Marvel TV said they’d also be doing D+ stuff, if I recall

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    It's a minor thing, but I guess MCU Kamala would need a different in-universe costume inspiration since Carol was never Ms Marvel.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I'm kind of disappointed that Venom left Flash tbh
    I really liked Agent Venom, so I was going into Donny Cates's Venom run pre-angry. He very much won me over.

• Options
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Marvel TV said they’d also be doing D+ stuff, if I recall
    Loeb did but said they had nothing to reveal or announce and wouldn't for some time

I would be SHOCKED if Marvel Studios would let the TV folks get Kamala

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Sounds like it

23 is a reasonable length for a season so that works out well

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    If they lean into the multiverse stuff, watch Peggy Cap turn up in live action at some point

• Options

Also Emily VanCamp is confirmed for the show

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Looks like those rumors about the show being about the US Government not wanting Sam to be Cap were on the money

Which is good because that is a great idea

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Kat Dennings as Darcy and Randall Park as Jimmy Woo in WandaVision what the hell

AW HELL YEAH MY GIRL KATHRYN HAHN TOO

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    That Moon Knight logo is slick

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

Also Emily VanCamp is confirmed for the show

fine i'll get disney plus

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Kat Dennings as Darcy and Randall Park as Jimmy Woo in WandaVision what the hell

AW HELL YEAH MY GIRL KATHRYN HAHN TOO

wait nevermind

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Wonder if Kit Harrington is playing MK.

• Options
    Wow

It is kind of incredible that they are taking all the characters folks have been saying for years work better on TV, like She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel, and

Actually doing that

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I have no stake in this but Paget Brewster should be She Hulk

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Please have a CG Howard the Duck work out of an office down the hall. Please, that is all I am asking.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

This discussion has been closed.