As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Warhammer - Age of Sigmar] The New Fantasy

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Ugh, I've just noticed my Warhammer Official Warcry Miniatures Carrying Case is damaging my Warhammer Official Warcry Miniatures.

The Thrallmaster, the Luminate, and the taller Mirrorblade with Glaive; all three of them have really high hair-thingies sticking up from their helmets via slender little plastic cylinders. They're too tall to store vertically in the case, which when zipped shut exerts downward pressure on those hair-things and weakens the cylinder.

The Thrallmaster can be stored on his side but the other two have glaives at right angles to their bodies which means they need to be stored flat on their backs. Which necessitates cutting out one of the foam dividers and chunks down on usable space in the case.

I emailed GW about it; I'm really frustrated =/ Shoulda just bought another baking sheet and magnetized them, but I wanted the fancy padded case with the logo on it.

Desire is the path to suffering; GW is just secretly teaching you Buddhism.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Ugh, I've just noticed my Warhammer Official Warcry Miniatures Carrying Case is damaging my Warhammer Official Warcry Miniatures.

The Thrallmaster, the Luminate, and the taller Mirrorblade with Glaive; all three of them have really high hair-thingies sticking up from their helmets via slender little plastic cylinders. They're too tall to store vertically in the case, which when zipped shut exerts downward pressure on those hair-things and weakens the cylinder.

The Thrallmaster can be stored on his side but the other two have glaives at right angles to their bodies which means they need to be stored flat on their backs. Which necessitates cutting out one of the foam dividers and chunks down on usable space in the case.

I emailed GW about it; I'm really frustrated =/ Shoulda just bought another baking sheet and magnetized them, but I wanted the fancy padded case with the logo on it.

Desire is the path to suffering; GW is just secretly teaching you Buddhism.

Then I know a great amount of desire

I know I have not built much of my DoK army because I have no place to put the blood cauldrons without them becoming entombed in dust. It's this and how will I store my tyranids when painted is a debate as I feel I could get a storage bucket and put the foam inside so if I use a mix of the eggcrate and the cut foam stuff
    This stuff
    clu20y836je3.png
    Because I feel in general it's a better experiment as I move forward storing the other armies I have and getting them out of cardboard boxes plano containers and so on

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Are Skaven pretty easy to build now? I remember before the battle tome they recently got I had no idea how to set them up so I'm hoping the battle tome has helped.

Can I play with Skaven in Warcry?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Are Skaven pretty easy to build now? I remember before the battle tome they recently got I had no idea how to set them up so I'm hoping the battle tome has helped.

No Skaven in warcry currently.

With the new battletome all the clans are back together so it's less finnicky trying to make a list. You may be able to mess with their list builder on their site.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

(for mainline AoS)
    They are kind of complicated, you usually pick a sub faction to focus on. Pestilens as far as I know are the easiest to collect(2 start collectings and plague monks to fill out the rest), but tactically complicated to play properly but effective and fun. You manage a prayer system instead of spells (mostly) and have to manage a ton of buffs every turn. The baseline units (plague monks) when buffed are kind of insane.

There are other options if you want an elite army, stormfiends are cool models and a separate subfaction. I don't really know anything beyond that.

You have a redonk amount of options. My pestilens ally in nurgle for example 'cuz clanrats dragging plague drones into battle are really dumb annoying tanks in a already horde based army.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    The Skaven book is probably the best one in the game right now, or at the very least it's in contention for the top spot. You can take a huge horde of clanrats to gum up the board whilst still having plenty of points left over for dangerous punchy options that can dominate in any phase of the game.

Whether that makes it 'easy to build' I dunno, you will probably have to paint a lot of rats for one thing, and there are a fair few units which are still lumped with older sculpts which are either expensive or ugly (or both!)

• Options
    Does using Pestilens let me use all the models available to Skaven or only certain ones?

I'd like to be able to use stormfiends and hell pit abominations along with the vehicles they have.

Was the HQ in the Skaven vs Ghouls box only.available in they box? I don't see it on the GW site.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    The Warlock Bombardier is not currently available from GW, presumably it will be released as a standalone model at some point (along with the Flesh Eaters Arch Regent) but, er, it's been a while and there's no sign of it showing up yet, so quite when is anybody's guess.

The Skaven book is self-limiting in how much you can mix and match units from the various clans thanks to how battleline works. You can run a 'masterclan' force of mixed skaven, but the only battleline option you will have are clanrats, if you want Plague Monks as battleline you need to have every single unit with the Pestilens keyword. (With some caveats.) So if you want to use both stormfiends and the abomination and plague monks you will need to run the list as Masterclan and therefore you'll need three units of clanrats as your battleline options. (Unless you're playing Open Play, of course.)
    (At least, I think that's more or less how it works, I will confess I do not actually own the skaven book!)

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    The Warlock Bombardier is not currently available from GW, presumably it will be released as a standalone model at some point (along with the Flesh Eaters Arch Regent) but, er, it's been a while and there's no sign of it showing up yet, so quite when is anybody's guess.

The Skaven book is self-limiting in how much you can mix and match units from the various clans thanks to how battleline works. You can run a 'masterclan' force of mixed skaven, but the only battleline option you will have are clanrats, if you want Plague Monks as battleline you need to have every single unit with the Pestilens keyword. (With some caveats.) So if you want to use both stormfiends and the abomination and plague monks you will need to run the list as Masterclan and therefore you'll need three units of clanrats as your battleline options. (Unless you're playing Open Play, of course.)
    (At least, I think that's more or less how it works, I will confess I do not actually own the skaven book!)

How do allies fit into this?

• Options
    In theory the allies rules are the same as for everybody else, you get 20% of your list which can be taken from units from an allied faction. But I thiiink that Skaven might not have any allied factions (on account of no one likes them stinking ratmen) with the exception of a Pestilens aligned force being allowed to take Nurgle allies.

• Options
    Would a pestilens army with nurgle allies be able to use plague monks as battleline?

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Would a pestilens army with nurgle allies be able to use plague monks as battleline?

Yes it says so in the designer commentary.

You can have a masterclan general and still have plague monks as battleline but all other units (except allies) must have the pestilins keyword.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    I have always wanted to do a skaven army just the shear amount of models you would have the paint and well it was the lack of trying to find people that played Warhammer is why I never got into it past the thought.
    It was also in the Dark Elves I wanted to do a Witch elf army but that was merely a fevered dream until recently

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I have the Skaven half of Island of Blood/Spire of Dawn that I have been considering trying to turn into an actual army, but adding dozens of rats to my painting backlog seems like a horrible idea.

• Options
    Looks like I have a lot to consider if I want to make an army using the models I like.

I think I might still grab the battle tome so I can look through it.

Are clanrats really bad or something or just not nearly as good as the plague monks?

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Looks like I have a lot to consider if I want to make an army using the models I like.

Are clanrats really bad or something or just not nearly as good as the plague monks?

Clan rats are not bad by any means but plague monks are groooossssss. And by that I mean very strong. However if you're like me run some clan rat battlelines and do a mixed clan force. Literally the only punishment is the fact you can only have clan rats and stormvermin as battleline.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    TheGerbil wrote: »

Clan rats are not bad by any means but plague monks are groooossssss. And by that I mean very strong. However if you're like me run some clan rat battlelines and do a mixed clan force. Literally the only punishment is the fact you can only have clan rats and stormvermin as battleline.

That isn't too bad then. I do need to figure out how exactly to create a list so I can start getting an idea of what to buy.

I think in gonna try to talk my friends into doing a small slow grow thing so.

• Options
    Do I just need to buy the Skaven battle home or also the pestilens one?

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Does using Pestilens let me use all the models available to Skaven or only certain ones?

I'd like to be able to use stormfiends and hell pit abominations along with the vehicles they have.

Was the HQ in the Skaven vs Ghouls box only.available in they box? I don't see it on the GW site.

You wouldn't want to mix pestilens in really, the subfaction choices are more solid on their own(trait/artefacts/etc), pestilens stuff either needs its own stuff to move or not kill itself. The only real mixing you do is maybe bringing in a different verminlord for shenanagins, and nurgle.

The pestilens battle tome is fluff and outdated warscrolls. You want the skaventide one for the up to date everything.

I echo myself and others: plague monks are redooooooooooooooonk. throwing 10-20 buffed in a charge will wipe damn near any unit in the game, and you will run them in blocks of 40. You will laugh as an opponent whittles down one with range by 6-20 in a turn before realizing you have another 80-100 marching in with 2 giant censors tokyo drifting into their forces.

but as pestilens your army is basically the furances,priests and loads of monks. The catapult is meh to ok, and censor bearers are too costly ($$$) to really bother with when you can just have more plague monks.

If you decide for sure you want pestilens, I would say you are more or less stuck with them, but they are the easiest to collect with their start collecting boxes. 2 of them and more plague monks will basically give you the majority of your force if you want.(you can convert the grey seer super easy to a plague priest in the box) You could ally in stormfiends or whatever pretty easily from other clans, but have to be careful because a lot of pestilens units will hurt anything around them that is non-nurgle(all pestilens are nurgle).

In a slow grow setting a pestilens SC box is a super excellent place to start, It gives you all the fundamentals of how the subfaction plays. You just have to make sure you build it "right" and convert the grey seer. When I say convert I mean glue a different head on a staff, nothing serious.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The pestilens battletome is deprecated.

• Options
    Cool, I will grab the new battle tome. I didn't know if the old one had any relevance or not.

Mostly I am just interested in using stuff like the verminlord, Thanqual and Boneripper, the stormfiends, the hell pit abomination, the arch warlock, skaven deathmaster, and clawlord are cool looking. The doom flayer is also cool looking.

I know I'm not gonna be able to use that all together but those are the models I really like so far.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Cool, I will grab the new battle tome. I didn't know if the old one had any relevance or not.

Mostly I am just interested in using stuff like the verminlord, Thanqual and Boneripper, the stormfiends, the hell pit abomination, the arch warlock, skaven deathmaster, and clawlord are cool looking. The doom flayer is also cool looking.

I know I'm not gonna be able to use that all together but those are the models I really like so far.

Do it.

Run all the clans it's the most fun. You literally listed 4 of the 5 clans with those units and that's no problem. Is it the most competitive list ever? Who cares you're here to blow shit up (and yourself too that's how skaven work).

Also gonna echo the fact that you ONLY need the new as of this year Skaven Battletome with the Grey Seer on the front. All other books are outdated and superceded

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    Oh, yeah, don't get me wrong, Clanrats are perfectly fine (even great!) battleline choice, they're just more of a screening/objective grabbing tool, so don't expect them to do much of anything beyond tarpitting and clogging up the board.

Just finished up the first day of EGGS, which is an annual 100-player tournament here in the UK, got a fair few of the top players showing up and the lists are quite alarming! Not my best day 1 results, with 1 major win, 1 major loss, and a minor loss, but I'm under no illusions that I'm good enough to go 5/5 or 4/5 with Daughters of Khaine in the current meta, hoping to sneak in a couple of wins tomorrow though, and all of my losses so far have been very close calls, so I feel like I'm doing okay tactically at least.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Hi Warhammer folks of not the 40k kind, well some of you are 40k kind, as NoVA approaches and my plate shall be cleared for something not Chaos Space Marines I am thinking of dipping my toes back into AoS.

I have a Tzeentch army which I am selling because I bounced off it real hard especially with 2.0. I just don't have a lot fun playing it. I think the most fun I had with AoS was my intro game where someone loaned me blood knights and a vamp lord on an undead dragon. It was small and tough. Also my current Chaos Marine army is 6 daemon engines with some support so I am well onboard the big monster train.

One of my club mates recommended the Gloomspite Gitz but just taking the big trog/troll things. Maybe a giant or two. Not a ton of models. Easy to paint and I can contrast paint it which helps as I am kind of burnt out painting traditionally really tiny details. Chaos has a billion of them.

Does this sound like a good idea? I would slow build this time. Any other suggestions? I have found Chaos in AoS just don't interest me. I have tried a few ways looking at them. I also hate how Nurgle looks and Khorne is boring. I am normally Slaanesh but I hate daemonettes so much I sold all of mine from 40k. So I am looking for something different. Doesn't have to be crazy competitive but smashy and fun are the goal.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    If you want small model count and tough, you really can’t get much better than Beastclaw Raiders (ogors/ogres riding even bigger animals) but you might want to wait on them just a little as there are rumbling rumours of a more unified Ogor book around the corner.
    Maybe check out the models, see if they have any draw for you…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    You can definitely run a troggoth heavy gloomspite list, and it will probably be a lot of fun to play! Buuut probably not the most competitive thing around if you care about that sort of thing, the game favours horde units at present, so it can be tough to win with a more limited model count force.

As noted Ogors will be getting a new combined book sometime soon, presumably before the end of the year (and possibly with some new swanky models alongside) which might help to bring them up to a level competitively, Destruction lists are generally the very definition of smashy and fun to play! And saying that do take a peek at Ironjawz, their unit selection is quite limited but if you want a force where the main strategy is to barrel across the table and crump things they're certainly good at doing that.

I might also potentially suggest taking a look towards Flesh-eater Courts? You can run a list where your battleline units are all monsters if you so wish, and they make for a very scary combat force.

• Options
    TheGerbil wrote: »

Do it.

Run all the clans it's the most fun. You literally listed 4 of the 5 clans with those units and that's no problem. Is it the most competitive list ever? Who cares you're here to blow shit up (and yourself too that's how skaven work).

Also gonna echo the fact that you ONLY need the new as of this year Skaven Battletome with the Grey Seer on the front. All other books are outdated and superceded

Blowing up is always fun. I made a Necron list solely for that.

I'll grab the codex soon and start goofing off with a potential list and see what I can fit in to have fun with.

Thank you all for the advice, I was kind of worried I wouldn't be able to use the models I wanted.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    The ratling gun model GW sells is hilariously old. It's metal (which in itself isn't an issue) but the rats and gun are TINY in proportion. They are smaller than clan rats.

Order is (starting left): Stormfiend, clan rat, arch-warlock, ratling gun, Stormfiend #2.

Q6msIkRh.jpg

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Screaming skull catapults? Screaming skull catapults!

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    take my money bones

Getting kind've a samurai/medieval Chinese soldier vibe from the art in that vid, that could be an interesting aesthetic for the bone army to take. Lorewise maybe it even ties into the Old World's Dragon Empire, the Mortarch did say he used to be an emperor.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Settra! Return of the Mac and cheese!

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Getting kind've a samurai/medieval Chinese soldier vibe from the art in that vid, that could be an interesting aesthetic for the bone army to take. Lorewise maybe it even ties into the Old World's Dragon Empire, the Mortarch did say he used to be an emperor.

It's definitely borrowing from there, but also a little Egyptian, a little Genghis Khan too with him leaving cities free to govern so long as they pay up, and cavalry with lances feels more European to me? But granted I'm no military history scholar, and I'm sure that as soon as people figured out they could ride horses they figured out long pointy sticks were pretty solid choices the world over. Regardless, I think this is probably a better angle than, say, the old Tomb Kings who were obviously limited to the solely Egyptian inspired theming.

I'm interested to see the models, looks like a lot of focus on ordered infantry and war machines, I'd expect to see some skeletal archers and the like, which doesn't interest my personally in an army, I look a good smashy monster or two, but we'll see what they have to show us soon enough!

Oh, also I went 1 major win, 1major loss on the second day of EGGS, which I think actually makes it my worst tournament showing ever, certainly since the DoK actually got a battletome of their own! I'm hardly complaining though, the games I lost were all super close and a lot of fun (even if I had to fight Skaven for three of the five games...) And I managed to grab a solid win against one of the UK masters, which was a good time. I guess I can do a proper tourney write-up if anyone's interested? But unfortunately I forgot to take pictures!

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »

It's definitely borrowing from there, but also a little Egyptian, a little Genghis Khan too with him leaving cities free to govern so long as they pay up, and cavalry with lances feels more European to me? But granted I'm no military history scholar, and I'm sure that as soon as people figured out they could ride horses they figured out long pointy sticks were pretty solid choices the world over. Regardless, I think this is probably a better angle than, say, the old Tomb Kings who were obviously limited to the solely Egyptian inspired theming.

I'm interested to see the models, looks like a lot of focus on ordered infantry and war machines, I'd expect to see some skeletal archers and the like, which doesn't interest my personally in an army, I look a good smashy monster or two, but we'll see what they have to show us soon enough!

Oh, also I went 1 major win, 1major loss on the second day of EGGS, which I think actually makes it my worst tournament showing ever, certainly since the DoK actually got a battletome of their own! I'm hardly complaining though, the games I lost were all super close and a lot of fun (even if I had to fight Skaven for three of the five games...) And I managed to grab a solid win against one of the UK masters, which was a good time. I guess I can do a proper tourney write-up if anyone's interested? But unfortunately I forgot to take pictures!

True. But horse archers are really where it's at.

All Eurasian history, summarized:
    1. Somewhere on a river or near the coast, some farmers are living fat and happy.
    2. Somewhere on the Central Asian steppes, some horse nomads realize that those fat, happy, soft farmers are ripe for a good lootin'
    3. Central Asian nomadic horse archers slaughter the farmers and take all their stuff/wives.
    4. The nomads realize this nomading things sucks ass, and decide to settle down in the now vacant abodes of the farmers.
    5. GOTO 1.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    how in the world would settra ever become a mortarch

EDIT: also, hella lychguard vibes from the shield/armor

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Beeesiiiides, everyone knows Settra is a Stormcast now.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    the entire basis of his character is that he utterly refuses subservience to the point of spiting both the chaos gods and nagash

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I don't know how I want to paint my Rock Tusk Prowler.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    the entire basis of his character is that he utterly refuses subservience to the point of spiting both the chaos gods and nagash

All I have is the Khaine book from then so I don't know what happened to Settra as it's implied he fell early in the fight and res of Nagash

• Options
    edited August 2019
    One of the AOS books mentions a Stormcast named "Settrus" who leads a band called "The Imperishables" and who "loathes Nagash".

Likely just a Black Library author being cheeky, but it's still pretty amusing.

SmokeStacks on
This discussion has been closed.