As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    New thread OP until rebalancing is done.

steam_sig.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    New thread should be role-locked, each class is only discussed every third page.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    So I ended up getting a second account a looong way back during one of their $20 sales, partly as a way to see if I was at my "right" SR with the account I've had since launch, and partly so I had options for practicing characters I wasn't as comfortable on. At this point I have roughly the same amount of time on both accounts, and they both place in roughly the same area.

Now that we have role queue, having two accounts isn't really super useful but I decided to do placements on both. And somehow even though my tank and support SR is almost the same on both, my DPS SR on my original account is more than 300 points higher than my second account. And also after initial placements, DPS was my highest SR on account A and my lowest SR on account B. I guess it's probably because I haven't played much DPS on my main account in a long time, so when role queue placements came around my placements (which I did pretty good on - even had a good Hanzo game!) were given more weight than usual.

Anyway role queue is good and fun. I used to almost never play DPS because I always felt like I was more useful in either of the other roles, but now I don't have to feel (as) bad about locking in my mediocre McCree!

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Dispatch from the Department of Bad Ideas

A Thematic Moira Rework

I don't really have a balance justification for this one; it's just an idea that occurred to me when workshopping ways to change up Moira's gameplay.

- Moira may now use her healing spray indefinitely.
    - Instead of a reserve tank for healing, Moira has an "alignment" gauge. Let's say that it runs from -100 to 100, with anything less than zero being "Negative" and anything more than zero being "Positive". 0 counts as whatever mode Moira was in last (she starts the game Positive).
    - The power of both functions of Moira's Biotic Grasp now scale with Moira's alignment. When Moira is at alignment 100, her healing spray has its maximum power and her drain attack is at its weakest. Likewise, at alignment -100, her drain attack is at its strongest and her healing spray is at its weakest.
    - Using the healing spray reduces Moira's alignment toward Negative. Using the drain attack increases Moira's alignment toward Positive.
    - The effect of Moira's Biotic Orb is now determined by her alignment. While Positive, she shoots the healing orb; while Negative, she shoots the damage orb. Using the Biotic Orb maxes out Moira on the opposite alignment; the Biotic Orb's effect scales with how far from neutral Moira's current alignment is (from 50% of its full effect when used close to neutral to 100% of its effect when alignment is maxed out).

The main thing this changes for Moira is that she can't completely exhaust her healing spray with no ability to regain it (due to, say, aggressive barrier use by the enemy) any more. In addition, if she winds up completely Negative, she can pitch a damage orb toward the enemy to halfway reload her healing spray's effect. For people fighting Moira, they can't get immediately overwhelmed by a combination of a damage orb and her drain attack, because using a damage orb necessarily means that she's reduced her drain attack to its minimum possible effectiveness. (Though she could bounce a healing orb for herself to max out the drain attack, that's probably still less than today's damage orb and drain put together).

And, of course, whether this works or not is a function of the numbers, which is why I intentionally haven't specified any.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    That's an absolutely wild idea and I love it. Very inventive and cerebral.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    that just seems.. obtuse

the fade buff was unnecessary too

literally all she needs is some measure of utility to provide for her team rather than pumping out raw heals and damage

uc3ufTB.png
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    *coughs in Zenyatta*

Not every hero needs an "escape" or "utility" or some other tchotchke to round out their skillset (some might but not others and I don't really see Moira needing anything of the sort, she's one of the strongest healers if not the most effective in the game right now)

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    zen has discord

moira doesn't require a full on rework, just increase her ult cost and give her a passive or some new ability like how dva got micromissiles or something

uc3ufTB.png
    I don't think Moira needs a rework at all. Why does she need to be something other than slippery volume healer?

so that people will actually play her above plat

uc3ufTB.png
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Moira seems like the premiere deathball support hero alongside Lucio but I am genuinely curious as to how her perceived value might drop beyond Platinum

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    so that people will actually play her above plat
    But half the time when I turn on OWL these days one or both teams are playing Moira?

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    But she’s so prevalent in platinum it makes up for her lack of appearance in other ranks. (And too easy to play to, I played her yesterday in my fourth support role placement and went 50-10 with a junkertown win, I still say a simple nerf would be her orb bounces off barriers, both heal and hurt versions)

TexiKen on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    You know I've been playing DPS a lot more now and I have come to realize a few things.

One, it is way harder than I give it credit for. Two, I think the main problem a lot of DPS players have is that they think their team is supposed to pour all their resources into them and they can just do whatever. I've seen so many games lost because one things backline kept getting harassed and all it would have taken was someone waiting and protecting the healers.

After taking a loss where I had 0 eliminations the entire game across two rounds of Nepal (Reaper in the first and Torbjorn in the second), and a separate incident in which I emptied two full magazines at a rival Solider 1v1 and didn't even hit him, I'm resigned to never playing DPS ever again. They don't have a rank low enough to find people on my level.

I'm starting to stabilize my DPS rank a hair below Platinum, but between the massive team blaming going on, me having to spend time figuring out what DPS the team actually wants and aligning that with what I'm actually capable of playing (and the 10 minute queues), I'm not really feeling it

There's enough DPS players in Overwatch without me adding myself to the pile

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    I'm starting to stabilize my DPS rank a hair below Platinum, but between the massive team blaming going on, me having to spend time figuring out what DPS the team actually wants and aligning that with what I'm actually capable of playing (and the 10 minute queues), I'm not really feeling it

There's enough DPS players in Overwatch without me adding myself to the pile

More often than not the team doesn't know what they want, it's more about identifying what they need. Tank picks are what decide the team strategy, DPS/Support should react to them IMO. Beyond that it's about making picks that don't get countered by the enemy, and ideally can counter them.

For those of you having a difficult time picking a DPS right now, pick Sym.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I don't think this matchmaking is working right. I mostly don't play DPS outside of FFA, I do DPS placements, get completely stomped 5 games, and get 2300, which is where I was before role queue mostly filling...

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Yeah. A lot of people are thinking that matchmaking still matches you on your general MMR/SR rating so the classes you don't use as much might still be abnormally high.

Dragkonias on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Just two nice killstreaks on Havana.

https://youtu.be/omz-tIyO7Bg

I really like how I cracked open point B here. Jumpin' in at half health I get the Zen and execute one of my best Orisa picks ever, circumstance forces me further away from my team but I adapt, keep the Zen and Orisa off the point and return to the cart to kill the primary healer and secure the 2nd point.

Lovely.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    You know I've been playing DPS a lot more now and I have come to realize a few things.

One, it is way harder than I give it credit for. Two, I think the main problem a lot of DPS players have is that they think their team is supposed to pour all their resources into them and they can just do whatever. I've seen so many games lost because one things backline kept getting harassed and all it would have taken was someone waiting and protecting the healers.

I agree with the second. Reaper, for example, is best played as a bodyguard for the main tank, putting pressure on the opposing tanks and taking space while denying opposing pressure on tanks. McCree is great as a bodyguard against flankers. Mei can play similar roles.

Dps should think of themselves as applying pressure, either to locations/space or resources. It’s completely possible to win a fight without getting a kill by denying the opponent space due to pressure on a location or space.

It’s also worthwhile to consider how much your play puts pressure on your own team’s resources. Hyper aggressive play often requires a large investment of resources (healing, shields, etc). While this may enable your play, it can still be a net negative if you require more resources from your own team than you deplete from your opponent (simple example: a player requires 200 healing from his team while only inflicting 100 damage).

Take my reaper example from before. If I walk alongside my rein and fire at the opposing tank, I probably deplete the opposing rein’s shields/healthy with little investment from my team (chip damage healed passively). The other team either has to invest more resources into their tank, depriving them from other players, or give space to our tank.

This can lead to chain reactions. Opposing flankers may be deprived of healing due to focus on the tanks, lessening pressure on our back line. The opposing tank may give space, resulting in more space for our team and better sight lines. At best, the opposing team reacts slowly and their tank dies to the pressure, leading to a fight win.

However, if I fail to put enough pressure on the opposing tank, then my team is at a disadvantage since there is one fewer flanker and one fewer person to peel for healers. Still, the uptime on reaper’s pressure is higher in this playstyle than as a flanker (at least at higher SR where diving reapers get flashed/frozen/slept). If I can’t make it work, then I should swap to a different hero to create pressure along a different vector.

sanstodo on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Seeing the Symmetra spam right now as people realize the cheese potential, I think the right nerf isn't with beam (although I would be fine with all beams being a few meters shorter), but that the turrets shouldn't be allowed to go through barriers. They are an actual object, and if I can't throw a mine or trap or translocator through them, it makes no sense for turrets to either, especially when you can teleport them. That way it allows Symmetra to hold territory, but not so much take it back, which she can do right now because the turret has a small hitbox and her primary so strong right now on top of being able to teleport people further.

The main reason I hate Sym right now is because I don't wanna go Pharah and when I'm not DPS, my DPS aren't clever enough to do it.

TexiKen wrote: »
    Seeing the Symmetra spam right now as people realize the cheese potential, I think the right nerf isn't with beam (although I would be fine with all beams being a few meters shorter), but that the turrets shouldn't be allowed to go through barriers. They are an actual object, and if I can't throw a mine or trap or translocator through them, it makes no sense for turrets to either, especially when you can teleport them. That way it allows Symmetra to hold territory, but not so much take it back, which she can do right now because the turret has a small hitbox and her primary so strong right now on top of being able to teleport people further.

The turrets are trivial right now. There's no need to even throw out turrets through the shields if you're in the front line because they get destroyed almost immediately by the damage coming through at you and zapping the shield is way more valuable for your team, breaking the shield and also getting you nuts dps.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »

The turrets are trivial right now. There's no need to even throw out turrets through the shields if you're in the front line because they get destroyed almost immediately by the damage coming through at you and zapping the shield is way more valuable for your team, breaking the shield and also getting you nuts dps.

Y'all should listen to Toasty's Sym advice, so that you may one day do things like this!

https://youtu.be/ld9dRrQvcoo

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Speaking of highlights, have a classic "If I go down, I'm taking you with me" moment:

https://youtu.be/grK1b-kecAo

forgot to share this but here's a galaxy brain strat i clipped from surefour's stream

https://clips.twitch.tv/PluckyBelovedInternBatChest

uc3ufTB.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    15minute q for dps, get paris

feels... good

obF2Wuw.png
  • sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Sometimes, the boys on the internet make me want to punch them through the computer and tell them to stop being fucking sexist assholes and just let people play in peace.

This makes me feel old but also angry because even when I was young, I never pulled that kind of shit.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So yeah, I have no been pulled low enough by shoddy DPS and leavers that I am back to where I was before roll queue

• SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    These queue times are ludicrous now, wtf happened? Did 2-2-2 drive away a chunk of the playerbase or something? Even as a tank it's taking 5+ minutes to get one game, which is then usually invariably ruined or cancelled by a leaver or garbage DPS, or a Mercy who will not put her pistol away and do her job because according to them "Someone needs to DPS".

I should legally be allowed to choke people who pull that shit.

Syzygy wrote: »
    These queue times are ludicrous now, wtf happened? Did 2-2-2 drive away a chunk of the playerbase or something? Even as a tank it's taking 5+ minutes to get one game, which is then usually invariably ruined or cancelled by a leaver or garbage DPS, or a Mercy who will not put her pistol away and do her job because according to them "Someone needs to DPS".

I should legally be allowed to choke people who pull that shit.

We're in the last four days of the role queue beta, which everyone was told doesn't count towards your rankings next season (btw, an official Blizz reply in a little Role Queue FAQ on the Overwatch forums yesterday confirms that it will in fact inform your rank next season, but the population as a whole probably doesn't have that information). Everyone's gonna' be acting crazy or leaving games or DPS Moira-ing.

Stick to QP or arcade if you care about your rank, right now.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2019

Overwatch on Nintendo Switch is looking very likely.

KoopahTroopah on
    "Tracer" was trending on Twitter yesterday as Smash fans got real angry at the thought of her being a new Smash hero. (Official Blizz has said if they joined the Smash roster it would be with Diablo, but recent rumors have suggested a new female projectile-based hero will be coming to Smash.)

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    What's the problem? Heated gamer moment hating minorities and women?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg

I think it's more that the Smash community has its own wish list of new Smash heroes, Tracer wasn't on that list and they're scandalized at the thought of her jumping the queue. That's the impression I got from scanning the trending feed for like 120 seconds, at least.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Chance wrote: »

I think it's more that the Smash community has its own wish list of new Smash heroes, Tracer wasn't on that list and they're scandalized at the thought of her jumping the queue. That's the impression I got from scanning the trending feed for like 120 seconds, at least.

Yeah, for the game that's about cataloging the history of gaming there's been quite a few "wait but OW came out 3 years ago" comments. If you're pulling from Blizzard it'd make a lot more sense to grab someone iconic from their other, two-decades-running properties.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »

Yeah, for the game that's about cataloging the history of gaming there's been quite a few "wait but OW came out 3 years ago" comments. If you're pulling from Blizzard it'd make a lot more sense to grab someone iconic from their other, two-decades-running properties.
    Probably! But Tracer is the public face of Overwatch, too, so it would be a fitting character, too.

The three vikings would be coolest though

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Yeah Queen of Blades Kerrigan seems like it'd be a natural fit for smash.

steam_sig.png