As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game Over] Fullmetal Phalla!! Greed & Chimera Victory

1686970717274»

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Nope, I didn't have any thoughts on the people who contacted me after I put the list out. It lost the effect once I put it out there. I figured mostly villagers would have considered contacting me because they have nothing to hide and if I was evil, they'd be telling me something I would already know, so no risk on their part. However, I figured specials and other factions would've been wary that I might have somethign up my sleeve (I didn't).

The only person I didn't name was Cheez who came to me as a guardian, because the list was short, I didn't want to put his name in the spotlight.

Ardor on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I learned a very valuable lesson this game.

Here you go

http://fullmeddle.proboards107.com/index.cgi

Aw nuts, the reason my cunning plan failed was because evil was afk until after I was gone D:

Well that makes me feel a little better about it.

Gumpy on
  • Options
    Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have to admit, we weren't exactly the most competent League of Evil out there.

Being able to kill off the Elrics so early was pretty satisfying though.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I was spot-on with all my accusations. I rocked this game :D

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You're my hero, Unearthly Stew ! <3<3<3

Egos on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Egos wrote: »
    You're my hero, Unearthly Stew ! <3<3<3

Of the village, for the village. ;-)

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    I have to admit, we weren't exactly the most competent League of Evil out there.

You're welcome.

By the way, yes I killed Plutonium using my Guardian-penetrating kill.

I suspected I was going to be offed in round one, but not by the bad guys.

Figured I might as well use it and not lose it.

Plutonium probably really was guarded, and the test vigilante attack against him did NOT go through.

Squashua on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Squashua wrote: »

You're welcome.

Plutonium probably really was guarded, and the test vigilante attack against him did NOT go through.
    It was still the waste of an attack followed by inactivity.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »

You're welcome.

It was still the waste of an attack followed by inactivity.

I thought the unnecessary outing and following inactivity were bigger errors.

Edit: but hey, we didn't have any problems with that. We let the other factions worry about that mess.

Savant on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I see no problem with reveals. Savant, as you know from being a villager, you can hope some network is working in the background to help the village win, or you can sit on your butt and make uninformed votes and wait for something to happen.

I'm a fan of neither of those. The game gave us no indication what to expect and the narration apparently also gave us false positives if you will (the bit about Greed being attacked).

So really, we all tried to do something to help the village out. For those wondering how come the votes had good accuracy against the bad guy team, that's because whether Casual Eddy told me the truth or lied to me, we couldn't do anything about it. We just assumed they were right about needing to kill the other bad guys and concentrated on looking for them.

Again, jdarksun and anyone else involved with him plus the people willing to contact us helped us concentrate the votes on the unknowns and I believe that had some pretty good accuracy. Unfortnuately, our vigs were all dead early in the game and the vote was uncontrollable.

I've never been a fan of waiting around hoping something happens. In a game like this with little to no information being posted so the villagers are all completely in the dark, the game history shows that anybody but the village has the better chances of winning. I don't see why the reveals were a bad thing at all.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    As I said on the Scar forums, I think that though I do not like theme games where everyone is named with a in-theme role, when you do something like that, it does become a viable mechanic.

Multiple times, Saburbia requested that people not use it to out themselves. Unfortunately, when you give people a tool, there are times when they need to use it. Therefore, the "naming of everyone" is a powerful tool for the good guys / network to use.

Considering the very dangerous and somewhat IMHO overpowered abilities of the bad guys in this game, restrictions against using your role name as an identifier should have been curbed if not removed. The network / good guys needed a better helping hand in this, and usage of named roles was the balancer.

Then-again, the game did come down to the wire, but that was IMO only achievable for the village through moderated semi-usage of role names for identification.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Ardor wrote: »
    I see no problem with reveals. Savant, as you know from being a villager, you can hope some network is working in the background to help the village win, or you can sit on your butt and make uninformed votes and wait for something to happen.

I'm a fan of neither of those. The game gave us no indication what to expect and the narration apparently also gave us false positives if you will (the bit about Greed being attacked).

So really, we all tried to do something to help the village out. For those wondering how come the votes had good accuracy against the bad guy team, that's because whether Casual Eddy told me the truth or lied to me, we couldn't do anything about it. We just assumed they were right about needing to kill the other bad guys and concentrated on looking for them.

Again, jdarksun and anyone else involved with him plus the people willing to contact us helped us concentrate the votes on the unknowns and I believe that had some pretty good accuracy. Unfortnuately, our vigs were all dead early in the game and the vote was uncontrollable.

I've never been a fan of waiting around hoping something happens. In a game like this with little to no information being posted so the villagers are all completely in the dark, the game history shows that anybody but the village has the better chances of winning. I don't see why the reveals were a bad thing at all.

The thing about his reveal is that it was doubtful there was any plan about it other than moping about being involved in killing plutonium. It seemed just so unnecessary, and led to the quick death of the two village vigs.

Plutonium's reveal was risky but at least there was something to be gained from it, even though it ended up being a bad idea due to Scar's power.

Savant on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    As an addendum, what really killed me (IMO) was that I did not realize every player was given a named role, regardless of ability or lack thereof. I thought the only named roles would be the ones who were "specials", and that's where I fucked up.

Squashua on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I came very close to doing that too actually, I just thought it was impossible for all the players to have a name.

Seriously on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    While the Zerinan thing confused me, he did have good timing to help people believe him.

In theory, it would've been a great tool to work with him to get people who contacted him and myself on day 2 to put lists together, but he didn't trust me (and actually hasn't since SS13 when doing so out of the blue got him killed by the bad guy team I was on) so the chances of us working together was nil. He wanted information from me for nothing and I saw no benefit in doing that.

Other than his reveal, he plays the game very conservatively, so if he's on your team, he's not likely to give away anything to betray you. That's a good thing in many cases, especially in games like this. I've not really had the chance to work with him otherwise, so I don't really know what he's capabale of.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    jdarksun wrote: »
    As an addendum, what really killed me (IMO) was that I did not realize every player was given a named role, regardless of ability or lack thereof. I thought the only named roles would be the ones who were "specials", and that's where I fucked up.
    You died the first night. Isn't that typically "grudge" territory?

I suggested to Qorzm to target him because he was acting hinky, I didn't have any sort of grudge with him or anything like that. Complaining publicly about the issues of mass role reveals suggested that, like us, he had something to hide. Plut and Infidel were my grudges but there Plut had to go and be an outed special.

Savant on
  • Options
    duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Even with name reveals, there wasn't much for a villager to do, except listen to the person who had become the focal point of information. While the game may become more enjoyable for that elected person, the rest of the village disempowers themselves to achieve that goal. (That is, from that point on it is smartest just to vote the way that person says, in spite of any other suspicions you might have.)

I'm not exactly impartial here, but it seemed to me that villagers only had a couple of choices to make, before things became locked into place.

durax on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Savant wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    You died the first night. Isn't that typically "grudge" territory?

I suggested to Qorzm to target him because he was acting hinky, I didn't have any sort of grudge with him or anything like that. Complaining publicly about the issues of mass role reveals suggested that, like us, he had something to hide. Plut and Infidel were my grudges but there Plut had to go and be an outed special.

Yeah. Once I typed something regarding everyone having a name and hit Submit, then I realized I was in trouble. That was when I switched my target kill back to Plutonium, crossed my fingers, and called it a game early.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    durax wrote: »
    Even with name reveals, there wasn't much for a villager to do, except listen to the person who had become the focal point of information. While the game may become more enjoyable for that elected person, the rest of the village disempowers themselves to achieve that goal. (That is, from that point on it is smartest just to vote the way that person says, in spite of any other suspicions you might have.)

I'm not exactly impartial here, but it seemed to me that villagers only had a couple of choices to make, before things became locked into place.

Right or wrong, this is why I try to give as much information out in public as possible. It gives the villagers something to work with. After all, the majority of the players are usually on your side if you're a good guy or villager, so make sure you give them helpful hints so they can figure out where to go.

I think games tend to fall in the direction that some mouthpiece or slightly more informed individual calls for bandwagons so the villagers have to decide to follow it or not with their only ability, the vote.

Ardor on
  • Options
    ZerinanZerinan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    While the Zerinan thing confused me, he did have good timing to help people believe him.

In theory, it would've been a great tool to work with him to get people who contacted him and myself on day 2 to put lists together, but he didn't trust me (and actually hasn't since SS13 when doing so out of the blue got him killed by the bad guy team I was on) so the chances of us working together was nil. He wanted information from me for nothing and I saw no benefit in doing that.

Other than his reveal, he plays the game very conservatively, so if he's on your team, he's not likely to give away anything to betray you. That's a good thing in many cases, especially in games like this. I've not really had the chance to work with him otherwise, so I don't really know what he's capabale of.

To be honest Ardor, I didn't actually realize that is when I stopped trusting you. Because before that I would blindly trust you because you came up with the plan in the Vampire Phalla, and you were going to let me help, so I thought that was awesome. But I do remember I blindly trusted you when I was a special and you were evil, probably SS13, (I can't remember these things!) and it got me killed, so I learned not to be blind in these games, so basically you showed me not to trust anyone. Thanks for making me paranoid, jerk. I trusted you day 3 this game, and even PM'd you a few times about what was going on, and you said not one word back, so I don't know what was going on there.

Thanks for the compliments, btw. And we worked together a few times my first few phallas.... good times, good times. :P I have slowly broken my smilie addiction. I remember when I first started I would have three or four to a post, kinda scary.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Zerinan wrote: »

To be honest Ardor, I didn't actually realize that is when I stopped trusting you. Because before that I would blindly trust you because you came up with the plan in the Vampire Phalla, and you were going to let me help, so I thought that was awesome. But I do remember I blindly trusted you when I was a special and you were evil, probably SS13, (I can't remember these things!) and it got me killed, so I learned not to be blind in these games, so basically you showed me not to trust anyone. Thanks for making me paranoid, jerk. I trusted you day 3 this game, and even PM'd you a few times about what was going on, and you said not one word back, so I don't know what was going on there.

Thanks for the compliments, btw. And we worked together a few times my first few phallas.... good times, good times. :P I have slowly broken my smilie addiction. I remember when I first started I would have three or four to a post, kinda scary.

Ahh so that's how the bad guys found out who the Seerinan was in SS13. I was wondering how the hell they accomplished that.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    ZerinanZerinan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    B:L wrote: »
    Zerinan wrote: »
    Talkings
    More talkings.

Ahh so that's how the bad guys found out who the Seerinan was in SS13. I was wondering how the hell they accomplished that.

Remind me to stab you.

Edit: I forgot I was a seer that game. And please, remind me, 'cause I seem to have a hard time remembering Phalla grudges and past events.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png