As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Awesomed for the thorough explanation, thanks!

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Yeh. The way to save your life if you're in a space accident is not: "Put on a space suit", it's get to da choppathe rescue capsule. In the case of the ISS that's one Soyuz capsule for every three people onboard.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »
    Is it normal for space missions not to have a suit for everyone on board?

They were the EVA suits, her spine expanded more than expected and the suit no longer fit her properly.

How much is the spine expected to expand?

• evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »

They were the EVA suits, her spine expanded more than expected and the suit no longer fit her properly.

You know those snake-in-a-can practical jokes? Well...

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

Probably a few inches, since gravity is no longer weighing you down like on Earth. Heck, you're taller when you wake up than when you go to sleep for the same reason.

sig.gif
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    My car is borderline for headroom for me and it's a better fit in the evening than it is in the morning.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

NASA expects astronauts to gain between 1-3% in height. Since almost all of that height gain is from the spine decompressing I would say that the spine is expected to expand 2-5%? Which in most people is about 1-5cm.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

Yes. EVA suits are different than the suits they wear for launch, and are super expensive and very heavy to launch. They won't save a life - in a breach they can't be put on fast enough, if you're already in one you won't last until rescue, and with an atmosphere leak reentry wont be survivable (Soyuz 11 probably died before reentry but the condition of the craft when it was recovered made it clear if they weren't they would have been quickly).

If you don't fit the same size suit as a sufficient number of other EVA trained astronauts, you're shit out of luck, because NASA won't buy a suit just for you that could very well be used 0-1 times in your whole career.

The ISS actually did have a second medium torso section on-board, it just needed additional time spent to get it prepped for the space walk which would have made a mess of their schedule.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

I don't know if this still happens, but in my teens I was nearly two centimeters taller in the morning. I used to have a lamp I'd hit my head on in the mornings but could fit a finger between it and my head in the evening with some wiggle room.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

I don't know if this still happens, but in my teens I was nearly two centimeters taller in the morning. I used to have a lamp I'd hit my head on in the mornings but could fit a finger between it and my head in the evening with some wiggle room.

Isn't that the origin story of Reed Richards?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

Isn't that the origin story of Reed Richards?

Like Popeye with spinach and iron content, Reed Richards just accidentaly changed it from 1-5% to 100-500%

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Because we need adorable, here's a thread of animals being weighed:

And yes, we even have a shot of a certain someone on the scale:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I put a (pet) hedgehog in my lap once.

It pooped for several minutes straight.

(This was at an animal rescue; some poop is expected and I figured it'd be easier to clean up if I didn't move.)

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I want to see that guy do that with a wild baby giraffe

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I take it wild giraffes are less docile than their imprisoned brethren? Would this come with a story to tell?

Maybe some pictures? Oh I hope there are some pictures

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    What kind of a jackass marries someone with a kid, then a couple of years later gets a divorce and demands custody of said kid? Wtf!

Probably not the case here, but, in some situations where you have an abusive parent and the step-parent isn't I could see them winning a custody battle but it'd be very, very uphill and require lots of CPS documentation (and the step-parent would have had to adopt the child too).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

I see someone’s making a large “gone right” deposit...I fear for the “bad news” that will cover...

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

I see someone’s making a large “gone right” deposit...I fear for the “bad news” that will cover...

It's more "I'm tired of the horrible news, here's some cute critters." I have moments like that. More often as of late.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    That looks like a hedgehog in a blender to me, and the jiraffe is clearly frowning, the gone right is that they are just being weighted and everything is fine.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
    Veevee wrote: »
    I take it wild giraffes are less docile than their imprisoned brethren? Would this come with a story to tell?

I understand that adult giraffes in the wild can kick a lion's head off. The baby giraffe's kick is probably pretty strong, too. Don't think I want to see pictures of that. :X

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Yeah it's not so much giraffes specifically but just any wild animal of that size. The response of a panicking giraffe can best be described as flailing, which would be hazardous with limbs that size.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Yeah it's not so much giraffes specifically but just any wild animal of that size. The response of a panicking giraffe can best be described as flailing, which would be hazardous with limbs that size.

Also if you've never been in physical contact with a large animal their muscle density can be kind of shocking.

Veevee wrote: »

I understand that adult giraffes in the wild can kick a lion's head off. The baby giraffe's kick is probably pretty strong, too. Don't think I want to see pictures of that. :X

For the record, I was hoping for some awesome smof pictures of baby giraffes and/or other baby animals.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    So, a vegan lady in Australia has been suing her neighbor for... living their life? From about 2018, Cilla Carden has been fighting noise and smells in the courtroom. She feels that the kids purposefully play basketball too loud and that the neighbors smoke cigarettes and barbecue fish just to keep her from being able to go outside. Her court case was thrown out and so was her appeal, however her neighbor has forbid his kids from playing basketball and gotten rid of their barbecue... this hasn't not satisfied her and she plans to continue to her legal fight. She feels she is just fighting for her right to live, but she is doing so by stopping others from living how they want.

I guess the gone right is that nothing has come of it and the neighbors are at least taking her complaints into consideration. This story just sounds surreal though. Like she literally believes what they are doing is directly targeted towards her in order to keep her inside all the time. I feel for her, in a way.

Edit: Hmmm, the Time article I read said 2017, but the direct one says late 2018. Fixing that.

Nitsua on
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »
    So, a vegan lady in Australia has been suing her neighbor for... living their life? From about 2017, Cilla Carden has been fighting noise and smells in the courtroom. She feels that the kids purposefully play basketball too loud and that the neighbors smoke cigarettes and barbecue fish just to keep her from being able to go outside. Her court case was thrown out and so was her appeal, however her neighbor has forbid his kids from playing basketball and gotten rid of their barbecue... this hasn't not satisfied her and she plans to continue to her legal fight. She feels she is just fighting for her right to live, but she is doing so by stopping others from living how they want.

I guess the gone right is that nothing has come of it and the neighbors are at least taking her complaints into consideration. This story just sounds surreal though. Like she literally believes what they are doing is directly targeted towards her in order to keep her inside all the time. I feel for her, in a way.

There's no universe where I'd stop my kids doing a healthy activity because some crazy neighbour...
    This lady has agency and can move somewhere else away from everyone.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    They forbid their children playing basketball and barbecuing but have not stopped smoking outside?

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I used to live across the street from a park, and the sound of a basketball bouncing carries a surprising distance at 2 AM.

steam_sig.png
    If there is loud noise outside normal hours at like 2am I would think the judge would rule differently.
    Also yeah, getting rid of your grill but not your smokes is kind of a dick move but, you know, addiction.

Aridhol wrote: »
    If there is loud noise outside normal hours at like 2am I would think the judge would rule differently.
    Also yeah, getting rid of your grill but not your smokes is kind of a dick move but, you know, addiction.

And its infinitely better they do it outside than inside with the kids.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, it was less a direct comment on the story than just remarking on how audible that ptung sound dribbling makes is when there's noticing else going on, even from like half a block away and through a wall.

Actually used to have trouble sleeping when I moved to Kansas because i was so used to city noise.

steam_sig.png
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I feel like focusing on the vegan aspect is a dick move meant to drive clicks from the "let's laugh at vegans" crowd

She's a joyless wonder beyond the meat smells, so I doubt she'd be any easier to live next to if she was chowing down on a porterhouse every night

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Couscous wrote: »
    They forbid their children playing basketball and barbecuing but have not stopped smoking outside?

Yeah, I re-read the story to make sure I didn't miss that. Took away barbecuing and basketball, but not the smoking.

Edit: I'm guessing that the story focuses on that to put her complaint in perspective - since she finds the odor of cooking meat offensive. Otherwise she'd look even crazier.

Nitsua on
    Bad news: Hurricanes are very damaging
    Gone Right: Free drugs?

So, a vegan lady in Australia has been suing her neighbor for... living their life? From about 2017, Cilla Carden has been fighting noise and smells in the courtroom. She feels that the kids purposefully play basketball too loud and that the neighbors smoke cigarettes and barbecue fish just to keep her from being able to go outside. Her court case was thrown out and so was her appeal, however her neighbor has forbid his kids from playing basketball and gotten rid of their barbecue... this hasn't not satisfied her and she plans to continue to her legal fight. She feels she is just fighting for her right to live, but she is doing so by stopping others from living how they want.

There's no universe where I'd stop my kids doing a healthy activity because some crazy neighbour...

"Just pack up your life and move somewhere else" is a pretty big ask.

I do agree that the complaints are ridiculous, especially considering the neighbors have made some concessions even without a legal order.

"Just pack up your life and move somewhere else" is a pretty big ask.

I do agree that the complaints are ridiculous, especially considering the neighbors have made some concessions even without a legal order.

This is less of a burden than "all your neighbours need to change their behaviours and lives"
    Not saying it wouldn't suck but her problems aren't the neighbourhoods problems.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    She'd have problems wherever she lived, based on that story, unless it was in the middle of nowhere with the nearest neighbour fifty miles away

What she needs is help addressing her underlying issues

Edit: sorry, I'm being a killjoy tonight

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    She'd have problems wherever she lived, based on that story, unless it was in the middle of nowhere with the nearest neighbour fifty miles away

What she needs is help addressing her underlying issues

Edit: sorry, I'm being a killjoy tonight

My in-laws had some D list actor move in next door in their town of 2000. He complained about their dogs constantly, even though the dogs were never out before 7am or after 8pm. One time he called in a noise complaint.

The responding officer was the state trooper who lives across the road and also has two dogs.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular

Yeah, I re-read the story to make sure I didn't miss that. Took away barbecuing and basketball, but not the smoking.

Edit: I'm guessing that the story focuses on that to put her complaint in perspective - since she finds the odor of cooking meat offensive. Otherwise she'd look even crazier.

The first article I saw about this sounded like this is at least the second neighbor she sued. She also went after the next house over in the other side of Vu, for meat smells and loud eating.

• BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular

Telling your kids to play basketball somewhere else is easy. Not barbecuing is easy. Quitting smoking is not easy. And I don't think that smoking inside the house when you have kids is ideal for the kids health. Seems entirely reasonable.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    In the dark and distant future of the year 2019,
    Hitler's 'last living relative' convicted of paedophilia after kissing girl, 13

If you can't see tweets on your device you're missing out, because this guy has a look.

This discussion has been closed.