As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Neon Genesis Evongeloin movie

blue powderblue powder Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
SO i'm interested in buying the movie of the series. I get to the anime section and what do I find? Like four fucking versions of the movie.

So two questoins, firstly which one do you recomend I buy? Right now I can probably only afford one to stay in my budget haha.

Secondly, would the movie be lost on me if I haven't seen the whole series? I've only seen parts in the middle I think, and that was a long time ago.

Thanks for any advice!

blue powder on

• Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Are you talking "death end rebirth" or "end of eva"?

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I do beleive it was named "death and rebirth", perhaps one of them was also named end of eva, but there was defenitly three versions of death and rebirth.

Are the movies suppsoed to be watched with one before the other?

blue powder on
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Death and rebirth is a sort of recap of the series as well as the first part of the end of evangelion.

The end is exactly as it says on the tin

J on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Are you talking "death end rebirth" or "end of eva"?

It depends. Do you want the shitty ending, or the even worse ending?

I kid.

End of Evangelion

Supposedly the intended ending, as opposed to the final episodes of the show.

Death and Rebirth

Expanding on the original shitty ending.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Cool, so oviously I watch end of eva first then death and rebirth. But which versions? Like I said there was like a fucking directors cut and everything.

blue powder on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Cool, so oviously I watch end of eva first then death and rebirth. But which versions? Like I said there was like a fucking directors cut and everything.

If you've watched the series, I'd say watch Death and Rebirth first, then pick up End of Evangelion for a different take on the whole thing.

Then be left unsatisfied.

*edit* I suppose you'd want the Director's cuts, provided they aren't too expensive. If they are, just get the regular versions.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    It's not a case of not being able to afford one version, I just don't want to miss any cool shit which might not be included in one.

blue powder on
  • Options
    DonaldRumsfeldDonaldRumsfeld Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    first:series
    second:death and rebirth
    third:end of eva

DonaldRumsfeld on
    111111A.png
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    fourth: weep

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    SkyGheNe wrote:

well, weep until the Rebuild movies come out anyways.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Glaeal wrote:

If you've watched the series, I'd say watch Death and Rebirth first, then pick up End of Evangelion for a different take on the whole thing.

Then be left unsatisfied.

*edit* I suppose you'd want the Director's cuts, provided they aren't too expensive. If they are, just get the regular versions.

If by unsatisfied you mean thrilled at having seen the most awesome and absurd anime film of all time.

I love End of Evangelion so much it hurts sometimes.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    setrajonas wrote:
    SkyGheNe wrote:

well, weep until the Rebuild movies come out anyways.

If the ending is as fucking fucked up and fucking fucked as the fucking ending of fucking end of eva, im not sure i can put myself through that a second time.

[spoiler:d9de2e99e4] Even Pen Pen would have turned into orange goo. oh god.[/spoiler:d9de2e99e4]

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    If you watch the Director's Cut version of the final few episodes, most of Death and Rebirth is included in those anyways. Although D&R does have a pretty nifty end credits sequence.

Protip: Learn to spell "Evangelion" properly. It's not that hard.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    They are making four new movies or something, right? I have the latest Newtype, but haven't cracked it open yet.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I found D&R dreadfully boring and couldn't sit through the whole thing and went straight from the end of the series to End of Eva. Do the same if you'd like. You don't miss much.

JAEF on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yea Death and Rebirth doesn't add much to the story. If you can only pick up one of the two, definitely get EoE.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The only true ending of the series is the "its all a dream, they actually are stuck in a high school romance comedy anime" part of the ending, because that, my friends, is awesome.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg