[Nintendo 3DS] Metroid 2 out! Go buy it now!

1353637383941»

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Super Princess Peach is an okay platformer that's done in the sprite style.

Izuna and Izuna 2 are more roguelike RPGs than Zelda-style, but you may like them.

Knights in the Nightmare is gorgeous and is probably one of the only games I've come across with an actually creative use for the touch screen. The story is ludicrously depressing, though.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I really wish I liked Azure Striker Gunvolt more than I did. I ultimately had the same problem with it that I later had with Matterfall. They're really easy games with relatively harsh scoring systems. The scoring is designed in a way that encourages literally perfect play, as every single bit of damage you take tanks your scoring potential, leading to a frustrating experience, and torturous replaying. But then if you decide to not give a fuck about your score and just play the game, you find that the scoring system was the only challenging thing about it. The enemies never pose much of a physical threat, as they only threaten your combo.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I forget whether Sonic Rush/Sonic Rush Adventure/Sonic Colirs use 2D sprites, or just the 3D stuff.

The Mario & Luigi games all use 2D sprites, as I recall.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Rush games have 3D Sonic/Blaze and basically everything else 2D, except for boss battles.

Mostly the same deal with NSMB1.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    I really wish I liked Azure Striker Gunvolt more than I did. I ultimately had the same problem with it that I later had with Matterfall. They're really easy games with relatively harsh scoring systems. The scoring is designed in a way that encourages literally perfect play, as every single bit of damage you take tanks your scoring potential, leading to a frustrating experience, and torturous replaying. But then if you decide to not give a fuck about your score and just play the game, you find that the scoring system was the only challenging thing about it. The enemies never pose much of a physical threat, as they only threaten your combo.

I gave up when it made me go on a fetch quest to find the real final boss.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Super Princess Peach is an okay platformer that's done in the sprite style.

Izuna and Izuna 2 are more roguelike RPGs than Zelda-style, but you may like them.

Knights in the Nightmare is gorgeous and is probably one of the only games I've come across with an actually creative use for the touch screen. The story is ludicrously depressing, though.

Knights in the Nightmare was a very interesting game that drove me too fucking insane to continue. The idea that you needed to use up your units to attack completely neutralized the same part of my brain that makes me entirely unable to ever spend a non-replaceable consumable in every RPG.

Steam ID: Right here.
    TalithDizzen
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Andy JoePolaritieStormwatchershoeboxjeddyRiokenn
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Koromaru plush is a low blow.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Hopefully they don't allow Gamestop to be the only store with preorders...

mHn29NG.png
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Has anyone else been updable to perform a system update today? Out of the blue, my N3DS has been unable to update itself all afternoon and all night. I'm online with my NNID; friends and notifications work. I can get to the eshop but it tells me to update.

I've tried two sets of manual DNS servers, matching the MTU to my router, deleting and re-entering the network info, power cycling my modem and router for ~20 minutes ... nothing has helped.

This is disastrous timing, I need to renew Pokémon Bank, and of course there's no other way of doing so (at least not until it comes to Switch with Sword and Shield, but that's far too late to help.)

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
    What's your current firmware version? 11.9 has been out for months now, I don't see anything about a new update today.

11.8.0-41U. I haven't needed to access the eshop or other online services for quite a while.

OK well just saying. Probably not too many people on old firmware that just decided randomly to check if they could update today.

I did try a manual system update on 11.9 now, it did successfully check and tell me I was already updated.

edited March 2019
    Thank you for checking!

Bizarrely, after all that I'd tried, it updated without incident after swapping in another SDcard. The card I removed had over 31k blocks free, roughly 3.7+ GB, so I don't think it was a space issue.

Well, that 3.5 hours of troubleshooting was horrible for my stress level, but now it's over.

IceBurner on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Persona Q2 Story Trailer

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    StormwatcherBrainleech
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Nintendo of Europe is removing the ability to use credit cards on the 3DS shop. I guess that's one more nail in the coffin. I think NOA is the last holdout. I'm still surprised when I see 2DS units for sale in stores. They don't seem to be moving at all.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/08/nintendo_removing_credit_card_support_from_3ds_and_wii_u_eshop_in_europe

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Nintendo of Europe is removing the ability to use credit cards on the 3DS shop. I guess that's one more nail in the coffin. I think NOA is the last holdout. I'm still surprised when I see 2DS units for sale in stores. They don't seem to be moving at all.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/08/nintendo_removing_credit_card_support_from_3ds_and_wii_u_eshop_in_europe

That's very weird. Has there been other paid video game services that removed the ability to credit card before, y'know, shutting down the service?

Seems a bit early to me, and I'm the "3DS is totally sunsetting" guy.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited August 2019
    So much for the "Wii service was only cancelled because it was run by gamespy" theory.

Since the Wii U / 3DS digital stuff run on the same system, maybe they've been chomping at the bit to dump it since the Wii U was discontinued.

Edit: apparently this may have more to do with EU laws, Payment Services Directive 2, which would come into effect mid September. So they might rather shut down service than bother updating for compliance.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    That makes much more sense. Guess purchases aren't enough nowadays to make it worth switching over.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    I take it that purchases via points cards will remain a valid option for EU players.

ArcSynPailryder