As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Good to know you guys really love your Constitution over there. I mean, after all, it's the foundation of your exemplary democracy, I can't imagine anyone would ever violate it. I'm sure everyone is just as fervent about upholding its amendments equally, right? I mean, the 2nd is just as important as the 4th, right?

Speaking as half of a young professional White couple that had the misfortune of traveling through Texas with California plates; I got some real bad news for you.

Giggles_Funsworth on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

(Ken Dilanian is an NBC News correspondent)

Yes, you read that correctly. A Harvard freshman had their visa revoked and was deported because some of the people they were friends with on social media said things critical of the United STates.

• Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    And we've reached the point where the appropriate gif would be the "This is fine" dog melting.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Just another banana republic, only bigger

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    My country, right or wrong!

(But I don't wanna hear nuthin' 'bout being wrong!)

• MillMill Registered User regular
    God, I hope at some point all the fascist fuckers that infest ICE and CBE get prosecuted and spend rest of the fucking days rotting in some shitty US prison.

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Yeah at this point I'd rather drop dead than risk going to the South.

Edit - If anyone is wondering about the thread title change it isn't a joke. If local governments / law enforcement are operating at that level of racial profiling, I'm considering it actually dangerous to travel through those states.

I don't disagree in the slightest and the response I've been getting in the Gun Control thread for saying "Hey, minorities use weapons in self defense a lot and have historically to great effect in hostile conditions." is fuckin' wild. There is basically a mostly cold civil war happening down here and in the PNW right now; and law enforcement is a lot more infiltrated down here than it is up there.

Can you summarize, if you don't mind? I tend to stay out of gun control threads.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

Edit - If anyone is wondering about the thread title change it isn't a joke. If local governments / law enforcement are operating at that level of racial profiling, I'm considering it actually dangerous to travel through those states.

I don't disagree in the slightest and the response I've been getting in the Gun Control thread for saying "Hey, minorities use weapons in self defense a lot and have historically to great effect in hostile conditions." is fuckin' wild. There is basically a mostly cold civil war happening down here and in the PNW right now; and law enforcement is a lot more infiltrated down here than it is up there.

Can you summarize, if you don't mind? I tend to stay out of gun control threads.

It just got locked, so I wouldn't recommend starting up again here!

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

(No, he's been temp banned)

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    (Giggles got tempbanned, he won't be able to answer you for a while.)

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    God, I hope at some point all the fascist fuckers that infest ICE and CBE get prosecuted and spend rest of the fucking days rotting in some shitty US prison.

As do I.

But I doubt that'll happen. Outside of maybe a few examples being set, the very worst I can see is most of those provably intentionally in the wrong will probably be "asked" to resign, with no further consequence. Those standing by, or "just following orders", will probably at worst get a minor ding in their personal file.

I hope I'm wrong, but outside of the slim to none chance ICE gets abolished (and even then, I can see a large number of ex-ICE joining whatever governmental division ends up with a quasi-similar role), I can't see anyone facing consequence, except for the appointed positions (who'll shift to conservative welfare), because that's just the way shit goes. Any attempt to do further is going to be described as partisan, and I can't see Democrats having the nerve to call bullshit on that.

kime wrote: »

Oh. Oops.

Anyway, my question was on the "cold civil war" remark, not the gun control aspect.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    And we've reached the point where the appropriate gif would be the "This is fine" dog melting.
    We've only now reached that point? Some of us are ashes at this point.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

Oh. Oops.

Anyway, my question was on the "cold civil war" remark, not the gun control aspect.

He was sharing stories about minorities not only being targeted at protests, but also being targeted and stabbed whilst walking alone at night, and then the victim being afraid to go to the police or the hospital and needing to be stitched up by friends.

discrider wrote: »

Oh. Oops.

He was sharing stories about minorities not only being targeted at protests, but also being targeted and stabbed whilst walking alone at night, and then the victim being afraid to go to the police or the hospital and needing to be stitched up by friends.
    :bigfrown:

Unfortunately not surprising, though.

Thanks.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Seems like after the President made that stupid tweet about storms heading toward Puerto Rico someone in the Administration had an idea.

Kyle Griffin of MSNBC: The Trump admin is pulling $271 million in funding from the Department of Homeland Security, including the FEMA's Disaster Relief Fund, to pay for immigration detention space and temporary hearing locations for asylum-seekers, NBC News reports.

Viskod on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    I am so tired.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    didn't they just get like 5 or 6 billion for that?

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Good thing you guys don't have a bunch of regular occurring natural disasters.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

Don't worry, it'll be the liberals' fault (if the disaster hits a blue state) and an emergency (which both sides will be glad to release funds for) if the disaster hits a red state.

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular

Don't worry, it'll be the liberals' fault (if the disaster hits a blue state) and an emergency (which both sides will be glad to release funds for) if the disaster hits a red state.

You say this but the reality is he’ll definitely blame liberals if a blue state/Puerto Rico gets hit but if a red state does they’ll make a big fuss about needing to support them but still never actually give them money/support (e.g.) Florida Panhandle.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

You say this but the reality is he’ll definitely blame liberals if a blue state/Puerto Rico gets hit but if a red state does they’ll make a big fuss about needing to support them but still never actually give them money/support (e.g.) Florida Panhandle.

Dorian is going to hit Puerto Rico as a tropical storm today. Between Trump's racism and incompetence it's impossible to tell if the timing of this is coincidental or intentional, but that doesn't really matter I guess.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Dorian is going to hit Puerto Rico as a tropical storm today. Between Trump's racism and incompetence it's impossible to tell if the timing of this is coincidental or intentional, but that doesn't really matter I guess.

ICE ran out of money [again], so the timing is probably a coincidence.

Removing all moral and ethical transgressions from consideration, the simple fact that ICE consistently runs out of money before the end of the year should be cause enough to shut it down and redistribute it's responsibilities to agencies who know how to budget for them.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    It's an embarrassment that this kind of behavior by a President, probably won't even make the evening news.
    When aides have suggested that some orders are illegal or unworkable, Trump has suggested he would pardon the officials if they would just go ahead, aides said. He has waved off worries about contracting procedures and the use of eminent domain, saying “take the land,” according to officials who attended the meetings.

Don’t worry, I’ll pardon you,” he has told officials in meetings about the wall.

Viskod on
  • DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    It's an embarrassment that this kind of behavior by a President, probably won't even make the evening news.
    When aides have suggested that some orders are illegal or unworkable, Trump has suggested he would pardon the officials if they would just go ahead, aides said. He has waved off worries about contracting procedures and the use of eminent domain, saying “take the land,” according to officials who attended the meetings.

Don’t worry, I’ll pardon you,” he has told officials in meetings about the wall.

To be honest, if Trump told me "Don't worry, I'll do [x] to help you out if you do illegal [y]" I wouldn't trust him to actually help me out on anything, and seems I'm not the only one.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It doesn't matter if he doesn't follow through with it, saying he would do it is bad enough.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Seems like after the President made that stupid tweet about storms heading toward Puerto Rico someone in the Administration had an idea.

Kyle Griffin of MSNBC: The Trump admin is pulling $271 million in funding from the Department of Homeland Security, including the FEMA's Disaster Relief Fund, to pay for immigration detention space and temporary hearing locations for asylum-seekers, NBC News reports.

Still not enough to afford toothbrushes or soap, though.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Yes, you read that correctly. A Harvard freshman had their visa revoked and was deported because some of the people they were friends with on social media said things critical of the United STates.

Wouldn't this be an epic violation of the first amendment?

Gaddez on
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Trump's started ordering his people to unilaterally seize land and break the law as needed to get his wall built, saying he'll just pardon them anyway if they're convicted of anything.

Naturally, the White House claims jussajoakbro as always.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

Since when did little things like the constitution stop ICE?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Just how will you seize it, dickhead?

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Just how will you seize it, dickhead?

I can think of a few ways. All wildly illegal, and spectacularly stupid.

1) He's still got troops down there for Operation Sitting-On-Ass-Waiting-For-Invasion, no? Use them.
    2) Call Betsy's brother, and have him lead that operation.
    3) Authorize construction crews to enlist armed guards.

It'd be the dumbest fucking thing he's done so far (and that's a low bar to crawl under), so, what, coinflip odds he tries?

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

So joke aside, we're actually in the middle of a crises where we have people in government insisting that the Constitution only applies to US citizens (despite the wording declaring otherwise).

Even Saddam Hussein got a trial. Everything going on right now is just... god fucking damn it.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

So joke aside, we're actually in the middle of a crises where we have people in government insisting that the Constitution only applies to US citizens (despite the wording declaring otherwise).

Even Saddam Hussein got a trial. Everything going on right now is just... god fucking damn it.

Despite SCOTUS ruling otherwise as well, but.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

It's worse than that

The argument is that the Constitution and all protection of law only applies to people they decide are US citizens.

i.e. white conservatives

fuck gendered marketing
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    It's worse than that

The argument is that the Constitution and all protection of law only applies to people they decide are US citizens.

Speaking of that:

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Fuck.

Good job with the continued evisceration of the diplomatic corps. There are gonna be some extremely pissed of veterans when they figure out what that means.

Alternative: Still trying to fuck over McCain even after he's dead.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    It's worse than that

Speaking of that:

So, if you're in the army, deployed overseas and have your family with you, and your wife has a kid... that kid is essentially a citizen of nowhere?

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    It's worse than that

Speaking of that:

If true, is that even a matter of government policy or is it actually just a straight constitutional issue? Like, can the government even make the decision?

If that's what this means, there's gonna be some major court cases either way.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Sleep wrote: »
    It's worse than that

Speaking of that:

So, if you're in the army, deployed overseas and have your family with you, and your wife has a kid... that kid is essentially a citizen of nowhere?

Jus Sanguinis still applies. Of course, if you were 18 when you joined and got shipped overseas real quick and your wife was, say, a foreign national you met while deployed, well then your kid isn't a US citizen.

GOP being very forward thinking in Birther-ing the presidential candidates in 40 years.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
This discussion has been closed.