As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX West 2019 Cosplay Thread

sediroxsedirox Registered User regular
Hi all!
We're under 40 days away from PAX west so I thought it'd be a good idea to get the cosplay thread up.
Use this thread to discuss your cosplay plans, organize cosplay meetups and ask general cosplay related questions you might have.
For reference, here are Penny Arcade's official rules regarding props:
No functional props or weapons are allowed at PAX. Simulated or costume weapons are allowed as a part of your costume, subject to prior approval by convention staff (Enforcers) and compliance with the following rules:

All costume props and weapons must be inspected and will be "peace bonded" by an Enforcer at the Information booth.
Live firearms including airsoft, either functioning or de-commissioned, are not permitted.
Replica firearms made from metal, solid resin/plastic/rubber are not permitted.
All firearm costume props and weapons must be rendered inoperable and are required to have an orange safety tip at all times.
Any bow-type weapons must be unstrung or strung with a low-tensile thread. All prop arrows must have soft, non-metal, blunted tips made out of foam or cardboard only.
Metal swords, knives & spears are not permitted. Any sharp implements are likewise not permitted (to include needles, syringes, ceramic blades).
Stilts and costumes which include stilts may be prohibited from certain convention areas. Be aware that you may be asked to remove them.
Costume weapons are for fun! Enjoy your costume, but do not strike, swing at or brandish weapons at other attendees.

• sediroxsedirox Registered User regular
    This year, I'm cosplaying Red from Transistor and Marina from Splatoon 2.

• SlowOctopusSlowOctopus Registered User regular
    sedirox wrote: »
    This year, I'm cosplaying Red from Transistor and Marina from Splatoon 2.

I'll be keeping an eye out for both of these!!

lo9ta7am5xk0.png
  • Nexis NightmareNexis Nightmare Minneapolis MNRegistered User regular
    This year I will be bringing Maya in her Borderlands 3 outfit.

Every year I have brought costumes on the plane I am searched by TSA. I haven't been denied before but it usually makes for an interesting conversation. This year I will be bringing my wooden Vladof sniper through so wish me luck.

• lilysandblushlilysandblush Registered User new member
    My first year at PAx and second time cosplaying at a con! Im going to be Wonder Woman, comb of movie version and Injustice 2. I'm also going as a variation on Lara Croft from the recent game trilogy. Both of these characters are big faves of mine and I have dreamed of cosplaying as Lara ever since Tomb Raider 2013 came out.

• midnamidna Greater Seattle AreaRegistered User regular
    I'm Punk Princess Peach this year! I was going to do a Tank Girl/Princess Peach mashup, but I couldn't quite figure out how to get both done. I have a loooooot to do still...

5q5sdsqaqnv0.png

[ ] Badges [ ] time off [ ] cosplay

• okami423 okami423 Registered User new member
    I'm working on making V (female) from Cyberpunk 2077. It'll be nice to not be wearing armor this year and actually be able to see :P as usual I'll be doing 90% of the build in the last month. Looking forward to seeing everyone else's builds!

• Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    My wife and I are currently working on a Darkest Dungeon cosplay, I'm going as Highwayman and she's going as Hellion. Need to find a decent replica flintlock that is ok by the rules of PAX!

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    My wife and I are currently working on a Darkest Dungeon cosplay, I'm going as Highwayman and she's going as Hellion. Need to find a decent replica flintlock that is ok by the rules of PAX!

Oooh, I've wanted to do a group DD cosplay for a while now, I'm jealous!

My friend group is all doing Destiny 2 cosplays this year, they're all doing their own Guardians. Me and my fiance are a bit too busy to go that hard this year so he'll be working on the Drifter (less crazy armor to worry about) while I'm planning on being a Ghost via a sandwich board, 'cuz yes I'm just that busy that's the most I can muster, if that. Besides that I'll just be wearing older stuff so you can expect to see my New Donk City Princess Peach again and maybe Sans since he's still in good shape. Or maybe I'll go full-casual for once and just play handler to all my helmet-blind friends for the weekend. That'd be quite the role reversal for me.

• SumbrilSumbril Registered User new member
    I will be cosplaying the Luminary/Hero from Dragon Quest XI. I hope to see some other castmates there!

• meepotofumeepotofu Registered User new member
    First big cosplay project and also first time PAX for me.

My friends and I will be cosplaying as different Palico armors from Monster Hunter World (Legiana, Odogaron, Nergigante, Death Stench, Zorah, Luna Hunter).
    Feel free to come and say hi if you see us wandering around the halls! Hopefully there will be other hunters as well, maybe for a group photo.

edited August 2019
    Now that the PAX schedule is out, I know exactly what days I’m cosplaying what. My friends and I will be doing our Supergiant Games cosplays on Saturday. I’ll be Red, one of my friends will be Sybil and another will be Zagreus. Sunday is Order Marina with another friend cosplaying as Nogami-san.

Now to actually try and finish Marina in 3 weeks >.<

sedirox on
    Now that the PAX schedule is out, I know exactly what days I’m cosplaying what. My friends and I will be doing our Supergiant Games cosplays on Saturday. I’ll be Red, one of my friends will be Sybil and another will be Zagreus.

I'm guessing you'll be in the inevitable flood of cosplay at the Supergiant panel. I'll try to pick you all out in the crowd!

Darren Korb was on a game music panel back at Prime 2014, and about a quarter of the audience was Bastion and Transistor characters. I imagine this year's gonna be way bigger than that!

lo9ta7am5xk0.png

I'm guessing you'll be in the inevitable flood of cosplay at the Supergiant panel. I'll try to pick you all out in the crowd!

Darren Korb was on a game music panel back at Prime 2014, and about a quarter of the audience was Bastion and Transistor characters. I imagine this year's gonna be way bigger than that!

Fun fact: My friends and I were also part of the Bastion and Transistor cosplayers back in 2014. (I was Sybil that year iirc) That was when we first met and became friends. We then did a Pyre group in 2017. (I was Sandra)

• kirbykandykirbykandy Registered User new member
    I've got quite a few projects on the go this year-

I'll be doing Kumatora from Mother 3, Vanellope from Wreck-It Ralph, Aphrodite from Hades (Hi Sedi!), and the Nyakuza Metro version of Hat Kid from A Hat in Time!
    (Nothing set in stone yet besides Aphrodite being on Saturday!)

Super stoked ! I'll keep an eye out for you guys too!

4tkbsnrnic2m.png
  • divisiontendivisionten Registered User regular
    I’m not bringing any of my big costumes this year- no Ratchet and Clank this time, too heavy to haul from philly. I’ll be bringing Aziraphale, the female Sword/Shield trainer, Kairi from KH3, and maybe my splatoon squid.

• forbiddenvoidforbiddenvoid Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I’m not bringing any of my big costumes this year- no Ratchet and Clank this time, too heavy to haul from philly. I’ll be bringing Aziraphale, the female Sword/Shield trainer, Kairi from KH3, and maybe my splatoon squid.

Aziraphale from Good Omens?

ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.

Fun fact: My friends and I were also part of the Bastion and Transistor cosplayers back in 2014. (I was Sybil that year iirc) That was when we first met and became friends. We then did a Pyre group in 2017. (I was Sandra)
    Aw, that's awesome!! I've got a pic from that 2014 panel that may have caught you in the background! :lol:

lo9ta7am5xk0.png

Yes! I even made animatronic wings, but they’re too big to fly to Seattle with (humor not lost on me) so I’ll just be a normal version at West. I’ll have the wings at Unplugged since it’s just a subway ride from my house.

Yes! I even made animatronic wings, but they’re too big to fly to Seattle with (humor not lost on me) so I’ll just be a normal version at West. I’ll have the wings at Unplugged since it’s just a subway ride from my house.

The wings, for the curious-

https://youtu.be/ekM2tw03Qzg

• Fireflower18Fireflower18 Registered User new member
    I'm cosplaying Chandra the Pyrogenius on Friday. I've got a scalemail top that I'm worried about. Will it be okay or should I just keep it home?

I'm cosplaying Chandra the Pyrogenius on Friday. I've got a scalemail top that I'm worried about. Will it be okay or should I just keep it home?

Is it real metal? It might not be allowed.

• DanitwixDanitwix Registered User new member
    I'm so excited to cosplay this year! I'll be going as Sal from Sally Face, Noiz from DRAMAtical Murder, and Genji from Overwatch.

• midnamidna Greater Seattle AreaRegistered User regular

Is it real metal? It might not be allowed.

It should be okay, as an article of clothing. I suppose you'll set off the metal detectors, but I was under the impression that PAX mainly cared about any weapons you may have.

5q5sdsqaqnv0.png

[ ] Badges [ ] time off [ ] cosplay

• ratzofftoyaratzofftoya San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    My partner is going as Tofu from RE(2) and I'm gonna be a sort of accessory zombie.

• MibaMiba Registered User new member
    This will be my first time cosplaying at PAX, to those familiar, is there designated location onsite where you can change into your costume / make repairs if needed throughout the day? I have a few pieces that are much easier to put on with some help. Looking forward to seeing everyone in their cosplays!

• RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    Miba wrote: »
    This will be my first time cosplaying at PAX, to those familiar, is there designated location onsite where you can change into your costume / make repairs if needed throughout the day? I have a few pieces that are much easier to put on with some help. Looking forward to seeing everyone in their cosplays!

In past years, Riot Games would run the cosplay lounge, but one of my Riot friends told me that they aren't doing it this year.

tw787Xr.png

• MercyfulMercyful Registered User new member
    Does anyone know if a real wood staff will be rejected as part of my warlock cosplay outfit? It’s an actual wooden limb that’s been varnished over...

• SilverBow666SilverBow666 Registered User new member
    My first year at PAx and second time cosplaying at a con! Im going to be Wonder Woman, comb of movie version and Injustice 2. I'm also going as a variation on Lara Croft from the recent game trilogy. Both of these characters are big faves of mine and I have dreamed of cosplaying as Lara ever since Tomb Raider 2013 came out.

Hey hey, I'm also going as Injustice Wonder Woman! (The Ame-Comi skin), but I'd love to find ya and get a picture! Are you being WW on Saturday?

• SilverBow666SilverBow666 Registered User new member
    RavenHusky wrote: »
    Miba wrote: »

In past years, Riot Games would run the cosplay lounge, but one of my Riot friends told me that they aren't doing it this year.

Mm.. I think they do a "bag check", or they did for ECCC. Does anyone know if they'll have a bag check again? I plan on bringing a luggage bag, changing there, and then checking the bag while I run amok. I hope they have even a small cosplay repair place. but if not, I'll have some duct tape, safety pins and velcro in my bag.

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Mm.. I think they do a "bag check", or they did for ECCC. Does anyone know if they'll have a bag check again? I plan on bringing a luggage bag, changing there, and then checking the bag while I run amok. I hope they have even a small cosplay repair place. but if not, I'll have some duct tape, safety pins and velcro in my bag.

There will indeed be bag checks at WSCC. They have said additional security at other venues, but no mentions specifically of what yet far as I know, although I may have missed it.
    https://west.paxsite.com/news/article/pax-west-2019-security-updates

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png