As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Warhammer - Age of Sigmar] The New Fantasy

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Yes please?

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Are verminlords pretty good? They look really cool and I was thinking of buying the pestilens start collecting with the verminlord to get started.

Also might be able to get my friends to play warcry with me so the goal is to buy the bird warband and paint them up birds of paradise style.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    They do look really cool.

H9f4bVe.png
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Are verminlords pretty good? They look really cool and I was thinking of buying the pestilens start collecting with the verminlord to get started.

Also might be able to get my friends to play warcry with me so the goal is to buy the bird warband and paint them up birds of paradise style.

Ya ya!

Skaven are pretty well balanced across the board (AoS is well-balanced in general), and big beasties tend to be pretty solid. The start collectings are good value, too!

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

The corrupter used to be more required for pestilens than now as far as I am concerned. It's a nice centerpiece model in an army with one already (plague furnace). It's the only way your pestilens will cast spells, which is a nice bonus. A second start collecting pestilens box will take you a lot further than a verminlord corrupter money/point wise, but I don't know if you are pushing for over 1k points or not.

steam_sig.png
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I was thinking of grabbing the Verminlord Deceiver, I really like the look.

I might get two boxes of the pestilens starter but I'm not really gonna end up with a pure pestilens army so I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

I'm not really sure what point cost I'm looking at right now. I don't know if it is similar to 40K where 1.5k is pretty standard army size or if 1k for AoS is like a 2k list for 40K.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    1.5 or 2k is standard for AoS, depending on your local meta I guess. Its basically the same as 40k

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I was thinking of grabbing the Verminlord Deceiver, I really like the look.

I might get two boxes of the pestilens starter but I'm not really gonna end up with a pure pestilens army so I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

I'm not really sure what point cost I'm looking at right now. I don't know if it is similar to 40K where 1.5k is pretty standard army size or if 1k for AoS is like a 2k list for 40K.

The start collecting pestilens box has two dual kits in it. The Plagueclaw catapult can also make the warp lightning cannon and the Plague furnace also makes the grey seer on screaming bell.

TheGerbil on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2019
    e4o0zWo.jpg

Echo on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Clearly the problem between Sigmar and Nagash is that they are too alike…
    What would the ship be named? Nagmar?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular

Verminlords are very good, yes. There is even a decent tournament list floating round which uses four Verminlords and a bunch of endless spells to get up to, er, various irritating shenanigans.

What does a competitive skaven list look like these days? Lots of guns? Plague monks? Both?

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Relentless. Disciplined. Deathless. These are the Ossiarch Bonereapers – the culmination of centuries of planning by Nagash and the harbingers of his dark reign. Where the Legions of Nagash are the foot soldiers of Death and the Nighthaunt are the shock troops, the Ossiarch Bonereapers are the vanguard of a new order

anhiska7g9uh.jpg
    xt5gk4ecxwdt.jpg
    ewxcyyhahiqp.jpg
    dh23890kkuck.jpg
    tbjplbre987r.jpg
    buyhfpy4eayd.jpg

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Colored me interested in the undead monarch.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I like all of those models.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    The way they talk about them makes them seem more elite like stormcast level.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    The way they talk about them makes them seem more elite like stormcast level.

Elite undead dudes? Well hmmmm....

u7stthr17eud.png
    It says that all of the infantry are repositories for "the souls of dozens of mortal warriors", so they're each like Ermac from Mortal Kombat. That means that the mage looking-guy with the spooky scythe is look Shang Tsung! <3

The big, tanky models with the multiple-facing-heads each have the souls of "4 legendary warriors" so I guess they'll have 4 "modes" or something.

Get hype for Halloween!

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Some of the style reminds me of Necrons

Looking at the base infantry again now, I hope there are several heads on the sprues resembling the more skeletal appearance here on the gnarly-ass cover for the rulebook. The dude in the lower left corner looks perfect.

gqY1GkNVrBcCzk5k-ACaze_ZH_IVaN0659tyk9tCG9s.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=9c777cba1dc60bd4bf2919a8f9b7d368c7e37268

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Deadcast Necronids?

All the dudes on the Mortach base are amazing.

I can't remember. What was the significance of the black diamonds the Mortarch and the black boned Samurai on his base are wearing during the End Times?

Are the two skeletons on the back of the catapult having a lunchbreak?

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Tea and crumpets for all!

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I'm not sold on the new skeletons, and I finally realized why: Their bones are too thick.

Look at bone king up there. He looks perfectly chiseled as is. But now put muscles, senew, skin, etc on top, and he'd look as fat as an ogre.

They're not skeletons, they're bone constructs never intended to have flesh on them. Looks just fine to me.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    And it's not like the tabletop hobby world is short on skeleton minis that look like proper skeletons. This just continues the AoS philosophy of turning the style-dial up to 11 to create something a bit more unique (and copyrightable).

MhCw7nZ.gif
    I always interpreted a "bone construct" as taking bones from existing creatures, tossing them in a big pile with some dark magic, and whatever comes out is your construct. Which implies that the bones should have meat on them.

But if you warp the bones or grow them from scratch, then sure, it can look like whatever.

And I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. If you like them, that's great!

No-Quarter wrote: »
    Looking at the base infantry again now, I hope there are several heads on the sprues resembling the more skeletal appearance here on the gnarly-ass cover for the rulebook. The dude in the lower left corner looks perfect.

gqY1GkNVrBcCzk5k-ACaze_ZH_IVaN0659tyk9tCG9s.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=9c777cba1dc60bd4bf2919a8f9b7d368c7e37268

60030106008_CodexTyranidsENG01.jpg

Echo wrote: »
    They're not skeletons, they're bone constructs never intended to have flesh on them. Looks just fine to me.

I heard you liked bones, so we put an endo-skeleton into your exo-skeleton. Then we added a sick NOS (Nagash-Owned-Souls) injection to give it a bit more punch compared to your normal skeleton warriors.

Yeah, Four-Arms definitely made me think of nids the second I saw them.

I've kind of missed siege engine-style stuff in Age of Sigmar. Nice to see the Boner Catapult.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I thought they kind of reminded me of necrons. I don't like what look to be the basic troops but if its an elite style army I could be down with running less, bigger models (like a blightking based force?)

steam_sig.png
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I haven't even played my copy of warcry yet and seeing an expansion already is kinda overwhelming

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    What does a competitive skaven list look like these days? Lots of guns? Plague monks? Both?

You can go either way really, the basic concept for a competitive skaven list is going to be hordes of cheap, effective screens running around scoring objectives and keeping your killy stuff basically untouchable for as long as possible. (Pestilens work slightly differently cos their cheap, effective screens are also their killy stuff, but that's cos the plague monk scroll is kinda busted.)

I would say you're probably best focusing on dominating in a single phase, as is often the case in AoS a lot of the power is coming from supporting synergies between heroes and units, and if you have to include support options for all your guns, and all your plague monks, and your stormvermin, etc. it's probably going to come off as less efficient than just focusing on shooting, or what have you. Outside of Pestilens you will typically see 3 units of clanrats (20-40 models strong) for battleline, either a Screaming Bell of Warpseer Verminlord to keep all those in line, and then your actual main punch in the form of whatever you like, Jezzails are popular, and I think Stormfiends have some legs to them. Grey Seers are very cheap for what they bring, and Thanquol sneaks into some lists if you can spare the points. Then if you feel you've got a strong enough core you can branch out into units which can stand more by themselves without necessarily relying so much on hero buffs or whatever, like the Verminlord Deceiver, Hellpit Abomination, or Doomwheels.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    The presence of these new Ossiarchs as heavy duty, elite skeletal warriors kind of kills my dwindling hopes for a return of the Tomb Kings at some point as a counterpoint to Nagash's undead. Ah well.

I have mixed feelings on their visual design. I think on balance I like them, but the skull faces that have complete noses look very silly to me.

Also yes, very much a "What if the Necrons were Tyranids?" vibe going on, which is not something I ever expected to see.

BloodySloth on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I haven't even played my copy of warcry yet and seeing an expansion already is kinda overwhelming

Some guy at Nova said it isn't coming until November. Plus it's mercenaries and some new rules about giant monsters? Seems easy to take or leave as you wish.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    This particular Warcry expansion, I'm happy to see it right away. I'd rather mix and match one Cypher Lords box with some mercs/beasts than buy a second CL box.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    ewxcyyhahiqp.jpg
    GUILTY OR INNOCENT

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    The guy at the bottom must be jealous of the other two guys who have 4 weapons each. He only has two.

"Uh, guess I'll just hold each sword with two hands? I dunno. This feels awkward."

I kinda wish there was a death army not belonging to Nagash. It cool that the death faction gets some different subfractions, but all other faction are a mix of subfactions that have a lot of different agendas and loyalities. Death is just all Nagash.

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular

Some guy at Nova said it isn't coming until November. Plus it's mercenaries and some new rules about giant monsters? Seems easy to take or leave as you wish.

If it's more like kill team commanders and largely optional than I guess I'm not bothered. I imagine the mercs will be allowed at events though so I'll need to take a look at it

This discussion has been closed.