As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tekken and Other Fighting Games That Aren't Tekken, I Guess (digital karate simulations)

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I have to say this talk people are having about online play on Twitter is interesting to me.

Like I understand the whole "go to locals" shit 10 years ago and netcode was just bad in general. But these days plenty of games have great netplay so it just sounds silly now.

Not everyone lives in a place that even has locals.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    I have to say this talk people are having about online play on Twitter is interesting to me.

Like I understand the whole "go to locals" shit 10 years ago and netcode was just bad in general. But these days plenty of games have great netplay so it just sounds silly now.

Not everyone lives in a place that even has locals.

Yeah, I like my local community, but it's small. In many games you'll only find three our four different people to play with at a weekly thing. Online play is pretty much the only way to improve, so the game is pretty much hopeless for me if I can't consistently find good matches online.

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    what do you mean, nostalgia. SFV's original character design is amazing! I love Abigail!!!

i... i love abigail

all my final fight children

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    what do you mean, nostalgia. SFV's original character design is amazing! I love Abigail!!!

Tier list for "how much I like the character design":

S
    vNJ58oRm.jpg

A
    viaeedCm.jpgdApv5IXm.jpg19MBW7wm.jpg

B
    BV4mvgFm.jpguseBeMmm.jpgvyJ53rFm.jpgZFcdaLJm.jpgMIKij4cm.jpg

C
    YqHQspfm.jpgYVqyHF5m.jpg92nbcnLm.jpg

F--
    YuvMj8Wm.jpg

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    do Abigail and Lucia count, since they're from other games

6F32U1X.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    they might as well be new characters, there's basically nothing in their old designs

liEt3nH.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I dunno, Abigail looks about the same as always.
    8bmz4bujumeg.jpg

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Brolo wrote: »

Tier list for "how much I like the character design":

S
    vNJ58oRm.jpg

A
    viaeedCm.jpgdApv5IXm.jpg19MBW7wm.jpg

B
    BV4mvgFm.jpguseBeMmm.jpgvyJ53rFm.jpgZFcdaLJm.jpgMIKij4cm.jpg

C
    YqHQspfm.jpgYVqyHF5m.jpg92nbcnLm.jpg

F--
    YuvMj8Wm.jpg

G & Menat aren't bad designs, but feel out of place in Street Fighter, IMHO. Menat feels like she should be in Soul Calibur, and G seems like a SamSho character. Necalli is just terrible. Ed is a little too Jojo's Bizarre Adventure; the influences have always been there in SF, but he feels like a bridge too far aesthetically. F.A.N.G. is another character that feels like they crossed over from a different series, he's too silly and cartoony in a way that seems like he belongs in Powerpuff Girls or maybe Samurai Jack. Kage's just really boring.

Laura's pretty good, but I think Zeku, Rashid, Falke and Kolin are all great new designs.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    the blackbeard sfv design tier list

give me the giggles to play: abigail, G

not as funny: the rest

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
    I feel like Street Fighter 1, 2, Alpha, and 4 all have a pretty consistent style to their characters (Rufus being the only exception that springs to mind), but 3 and 5 both had a number of new characters that just felt out of place to me. That said, I'm glad Capcom is willing to take chances and try different stuff, I'd much rather see some oddballs & misfits than have the series run the risk of everyone feeling too bland and samey. And it's not like I can't appreciate colorful or camp characters, my favorites in 4 were Juri & Poison.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    None of the SF4 newcomers felt like SF characters either. C. Viper and Juri could be KoF characters, Rufus was bad Bob, and El Fuerte could've been in any number of forgotten fighting games that make you switch between different planes or some bullshit. Hakan isn't at home in anything.

Abel and Seth I guess, but they're also blander than Ryu.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Gouken was pretty street fighter

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    laura is almost really good
    i liked necalli but then I made the mistake of playing the story mode and he sucks so bad
    G is incredibly stupid but imagine playing the Q costume version instead of embracing it

kage is like someone said "what if evil ryu but we made the design worse" and thats impressive in its own right. but then again they did akuma dirty so never underestimate capcom

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Street Fighter gave us East Indian stretch armstrong, flying furball that learned to shoot electricity from eels, "one armed" old man that fills the screen with nonsense, Whatever the hell Q is, a shapeshifter, and necro.

"dosn't fit in street fighter" is kinda weird.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    Hakan isn't at home in anything.

I think Hakan is the most SF character introduced in SF4 not named Gouken!
    He's a highly exaggerated take on a real martial art and has a design prominently featuring some cultural element along with some random silliness like having hair designed around a pun.

I do think that certain things "fit" better in SF than others, even if SF is pretty zany. SF2 was very much "cultural stereotypes and their martial arts but with some super powers", SF3 went harder into sci-fi elements, etc. Joke SF characters still work in SF because they tend to be jokes about the SF characters themselves. But I do think there are totally characters that wouldn't fit well in SF mainline. All of the horror movie guest characters in MK would feel a bit weird in SF itself because they don't have a martial art and their characters are centrally about being grimly scary and brutal, even in spite of SF being a game that literally has a dude with a claw slashing people up. Necro and Twelve and Q might be weird sci-fi freaks, but a big part of how their character is expressed is in how their unique properties and powers as characters leads to them having unique martial arts to fight with. Q is a mysterious figure who behaves in a way that comes across as uniquely inhuman, entirely expressed in how he fights, and that's really wonderful! Jason Voorhees is a scary murderer with a machete and I really don't know what more there is to be expressed about him in SF.

Now, what would be AWESOME to have in SF would be a Dambe fighter and at least one Silat fighter (but easily more, because of the variety of styles that exist!).

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Jax is so hilarious to me...because like his gameplay is incredibly simple but he scares the shit out of my opponent every time I get going. And like a lot of times they respond to things I haven't even done yet, as if the very threat of them is too much.

Wait...is this what playing a grappler feels like?

Dragkonias on
    I feel like Lucia has the best DP in SFV because even when I do it and the opponent read it correctly and crossed me up such that Lucia is going the wrong way, they still get hit because the hitbox is all around Lucia.
    Also you can get full damage from it relatively high in the air.
    Also it juggles for full damage if you AA'd your opponent with a fireball midscreen.

Lucia being able to df+LK underneath the low Tiger Shot is a ton of fun as Lucia, but it just feels like something that shouldn't be the case and I wouldn't be surprised if that gets changed soon.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    New Character Design Tier List:
    BEST
    Rashid, Fang
    GREAT
    Zeku, G, Lucia
    GOOD - could've been real great if not for some small issues
    Laura, Necalli
    OKAY
    Menat, Abigail
    BLEH
    Ed, Falke - managed to become too busy and yet uninteresting for me.

Redesigned Character Design Tier List:
    BEST
    Karin, Ken (barring his unfortunate Character Select face)
    GREAT
    Dhalsim, Vega, Sakura, Urien
    GOOD
    Guile, Mika, Balrog, Cody
    OKAY
    Sagat, Ibuki, Honda, Gouki (I'm actually not that bothered by the lion mane), Charlie, Kolin
    SO-SO
    Blanka
    BLEH
    Juri, Birdie
    I DON'T THINK THEY CHANGED THAT MUCH TO WARRANT A RANK
    Bison, Cammy

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I just stumbled into a MvC3 hype match hole for like two hours. I had to finally retreat when I made it to the MvC2 money match.

uyvfOQy.png
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

That's a big nerf and he deserves it.

The S3 patch notes will be out tomorrow. Patch doesn't come out until towards end of the month though.

edited September 2019

That's a big nerf and he deserves it.

The S3 patch notes will be out tomorrow. Patch doesn't come out until towards end of the month though.

I've always maintained that one of Geese's biggest unique strengths is his ability to get combo damage/knockdown (d1 xx QCB+1 doesn't require CH, d1 f+1 isn't a true combo without d1 being CH) from duck jab. It's a power literally nobody else in the game has!

.... waitasec, that post is about d2, not d1!

ok now I'm confused

l_g on
    edited September 2019
    Its a typo. He said d2 but he means d1.

Dragkonias on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    New season 3 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK_vDg3zpy0

New health bar HYPE

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    https://tekkenworldtour.com/featured/tekken-7-season-3-patch-notes

Patch notes.

Lots of the usual "reaction changed on hit" stuff, but there's some interesting things in there.

Like the fact that they buffed Claudio's hopkick range for some reason.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    Yeah, "reaction changed on hit" could mean so many things. The could be enormous buffs, like something now crumples! They could be enormous nerfs, like something no longer putting opponents into a readily comboable state!

Dragunov d2 and WR2 both got buffs!

Geese got a big round of nerfs, and a curiously large buff to the last hit of his Deadly Rave (+10 damage!).
    d3 being launch punishable (-15 !!!) on block basically obligates you to use the d3,d1 chain on block... which can sometimes be a real liability, since I've had so many times when the d3 connects but the d1 whiffs that I'm just left going goddamn

Feng passing through his opponents less with QCF+1 is unfortunate, because it's usually hilarious.

Kuma and Panda got a bunch of little damage nerfs, which surprises me. The bears are still considered bottom of the barrel, and they aren't as swingy as Geese or Akuma.

I don't know if Master Raven's bizarrely unreliable hitboxes have been fixed in this patch, but I really hope they are.

holy bryan buff batman:
    d,2
    – Changed the damage from 14 to 17.
    – Changed the frame advantage upon hit from +1 frame to +8 frames.
    – Decreased the distance between the character and the opponent when the move hits.

I'm personally excited about less pushback for Feng's qcf1+2 on block. I'll take the slight frame nerf (went from +5 ob to +4) in exchange for actually being able to use it outside of wall situations.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    New season 3 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK_vDg3zpy0

New health bar HYPE

For real more presets is stealth the best fucking twitch buff.

Wow...a lot of characters not only got multiple wall bounds but practical ones too.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    UHHHHH I think Kazumi got nearly ALL BUFFS WHAT.

WHAT

I mean hooray for me but WHAT

• DeansDeans Registered User regular
    UHHHHH I think Kazumi got nearly ALL BUFFS WHAT.

WHAT

I mean hooray for me but WHAT

I wouldn't be surprised if WS3 is now a 15-frame launcher, considering the damage nerf and new stance transition. b1,2 being safe gives her yet another evasive move to throw in your face. d,b4 counter-hit being changed is pretty big, it was already so rewarding there's no way they buffed it. I wonder what makes her new move different from FW2, if it's a safe launcher that would be pretty nuts.

Shaheen got pretty much nothing but buffs. Power crush now wall bounces, running 2 has more advantage on block, b1 now plus on block, slide does slightly less damage but probably has guaranteed follow-ups at every range, WS3,3 is no longer launchable. If his new move is a hellsweep he'll have pretty much everything.

Chloe getting a new idle animation is possibly the biggest buff.... or nerf.

edited September 2019
    Of the characters I mess around with, Feng got some solid buffs (qcf1+2 change, new options out of sidestep, better frames going into bt stance), Kazuya got hit a bit but f4 leaving them closer on block seems potentially really fucking good, Raven lost her cheap safe wallsplat in 2,4 but otherwise got some nice frame buffs, a new bt transition, and a new ch low that hopefully knocks down (probably too much to hope for a launch).

And then there's Leo, who I don't have any idea what these changes do at all. Guess we'll find out next Tuesday.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    a while ago there was a cool google doc for tekken 7 which broke down all the characters by archetype and gave a brief summary

is there something like that that has been updated with all the DLC?

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    Of the characters I mess around with, Feng got some solid buffs (qcf1+2 change, new options out of sidestep, better frames going into bt stance), Kazuya got hit a bit but f4 leaving them closer on block seems potentially really fucking good, Raven lost her cheap safe wallsplat in 2,4 but otherwise got some nice frame buffs, a new bt transition, and a new ch low that hopefully knocks down (probably too much to hope for a launch).

And then there's Leo, who I don't have any idea what these changes do at all. Guess we'll find out next Tuesday.

I think Leo got a bunch of mids that wall bounce.

Which mean that they nerfed her S1 wall game just to buff it again.

Online Noctis players probably having a heart attack rn.

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Online Noctis players probably having a heart attack rn.

Why, what happened? Didn't he mostly get buffs?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
This discussion has been closed.