As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Weightlifting/Strength Training

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Anywhere between 2-5 sets of 15-25 for me

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Haven’t lifted since July 16 due to work bullshit (won my first court case for a lawyer PR though)

Easing back into it with 5x5 with 100kg on bench followed by a bunch of boring accessory shit.

I’m going to be sore tomorrow.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
    After a couple of days of fun work at the ranch, which wasn’t a whole lot but it was awfully hot and sweaty so that took up the bulk of activity just trying to stay hydrated.

Cleaned today, worked up to 4x3x100
    Front squat 3 sets at 3x100/120/140
    Back squat 5x140/5x160/5x180/3x150 with a 5 second eccentric and a 5 second pause at bottom.
    Single leg split squats 3x6x20kg each leg superset with reverse hypers 3x12x40kg

edited August 2019
    Second rebound day.

Hit a couple of 93% singles on squat and some upper back

dlnqf23mkz8l.jpeg

caligynefob on
    PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
    Nice squats. How did that 93% feel after the layoff?

Did some box jumps and MB slams then push presses superset with low handle hex bar 5x3 each at 100 and 180 respectively every 2 minutes

Then 4x5 pull-up variety hour and 4x6 GHR, followed with some delicious DB curls and band pushdowns

Surprisingly decent. I mostly lose the ability to do volume after an extended break. I’ll get into it with a block of 4x5 + 1x5+ starting next week.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
    July was my volume and it was ugly, about to start hitting some more after this week with pushing the backoff sets farther

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    thread I have crummy medial delts and wish I had better ones but every time I try to do direct medial delt work I fuck my shoulders up, it's a conundrum.

Peen wrote: »
    thread I have crummy medial delts and wish I had better ones but every time I try to do direct medial delt work I fuck my shoulders up, it's a conundrum.

What about using bands for it?

Yeah I'm going to try that tonight. I saw my self in a non-distorted mirror and I'm ok with my arms but I want more delts happening and medial's always given me fits.

Peen wrote: »
    Yeah I'm going to try that tonight. I saw my self in a non-distorted mirror and I'm ok with my arms but I want more delts happening and medial's always given me fits.

How did it go?

Ok I think? It's always been hard for me to tell when specific parts of my delts were firing right, I've got an ok connection to most everything else but that one's always been tricky. My shoulders aren't turbofucked so bands is definitely the way to go if I can sort out the angle to make sure I'm hitting what I want to be.

I hate this but I got a set of bands with handles and a door anchor so that I can do some bodybuilding stuff in my office on my lunch break. I don't want to be that guy, I really don't, but being able to pump out during the day means I can have shorter sessions at night, which will just make my life so much easier.

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    At the place I used to work, a guy in the building next to us would drag a bar, plates, and dumbbells out to the sidewalk and work out at lunch.

Bands in your office seems reasonable

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Bout to crack 200 on bench again.

2 more cycles and I think I'll be at 200 on a max rep.

Garage squats today! 3x5 at 135/225/315 2x3 at 365 / 405 1x2 at 455 and 1x1 at 503. Then I walked out 594 and held it for a very slow five count thanks to my wife.

Fucked around with the sand bags and discovered that the 220 bag is still heavy and awkward so that’s cool.

Then felt like I was gonna go have heat stroke so I did 1x20 of Dimel deadlifts at 135 and went and took an extremely cold shower

Did some cleans, worked up to 2x1x130kg then worked up to 4x2x180 on squats. Squats were fast and felt light so that was amazing except for the bar position across my back was absolutely murderous so I’ve got to do some work on whatever knot is fucking with a nerve

• Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    Last week of my cut, I get crazy tired from my workouts by now. Barely made it out of a hot shower.

My deadlift ended at 140x5 at 67kg. I'm thinking of doing a week without training starting sunday, maybe do some easy group training sessions or swimming. I kind of need to recover from lifting and my hands need to recover from sports climbing.

I've prepped with chocolate and red wine sunday, and thinking about booking my first ever massage for next Tuesday...

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Oh man just got done with a couple of rotations off from the gym. Got some good kayaking and manual labor type work in this past week while camping, got some cardio in the past few days running for trains, but tonight's gonna be the first night back to lifting in two weeks. Think im gonna start it off light with some nice relaxed zercher squats, move to some crossovers, hit a little curls tricep pull's and pushups, and a little ab work for the evening. Think I'm gonna take reaclimating to the gym slow over this week's 3 day rotation. Kinda finished hitting a number of goals before I hit the break so I'm in deload and figure out a new goal mode.

Sleep on
    There is nothing relaxing about zerchers

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Compared to Reeves deadlifts, they're kind of relaxing.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I love Zerchers. Some of my favorite squats. I was actually high fived by a trainer once after a set because she had never seen any folks at the gym doing them before besides herself and some of the other trainers.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Compared to Reeves deadlifts, they're kind of relaxing.

*googles*

Ahhhhhh why!?

• Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    If people are gonna start doing Reeves they need to use solid plates. Plates with handles are cheating!

Why? I imagine it was a showoff competition. Snatch grip deadlifts were becoming too easy, this brought it to the next level

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    They're more of an upper back lift than a lower back lift. I've seen some people say to use a trap bar with them which helps a bit with the setup.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea Reeves are in that odd place where it feels like a mix between deadlifts and squats. They are a fun to change up the pace a bit. I like doing them on de-load weeks.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    If y’all want odd feats of strength y’all need to look up budjeffries on the gram.

edited August 2019
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Yea Reeves are in that odd place where it feels like a mix between deadlifts and squats. They are a fun to change up the pace a bit. I like doing them on de-load weeks.

I just remembered my gym is probably closed Monday so maybe I'll give these a try Saturday morning cause for this week im basically just working out to work out and burn cals I suppose since I'm not getting into any kind of rotation this week either. Maybe next week.

And maybe my whole plan for tonight is gonna get fucked by the train system in my region totally fuckin breaking down.

Sleep on
    If y’all want odd feats of strength y’all need to look up budjeffries on the gram.

Don't forget the USAWA.

https://usawa.com/rule-book/

Don't forget the USAWA.

https://usawa.com/rule-book/

I’m surprised that I knew about half of those lifts.

• the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    I like the picture of the Judd Clean and Jerk (A30). I can just hear the guy saying "Ta-Da" as the lift finishes.

• JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    If a nightmare scenario of losing a leg and having to lift a person over a wall happens, he's ready

• Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    I've never understood the purpose or the technique required for the Jefferson deadlift. I've tried it a few times, never made sense.

If your gym ever gets bored seeing you do zercher squats, do a few sets of hack lifts. Those ones are doable but take a bit to trick your body into letting it work.

And I think that successful completion of a van dam press should grant the lifter some sort of award. Free t-shirt, picture on the wall. Keys to the gym so they can just come in whenever, maybe the deed to the facility?

I'm not going to lie, trying this is like half of the reason I want a safety squat bar.

Get a Power Pohl.

https://youtu.be/IkMyAKbECH4

Strap that sucker on and do a quick walk around the neighborhood. Your squats will definitely go up.

I'm posting this footage of Werner Gunthor again, as I will every time it pops up on the Internet, because it's one of my favorite things ever.

Julius Maddox obliterated 739 for a new world record on bench, almost died.

https://youtu.be/lpssjq9nf7k

Also cool, Siamand Rahman broke the paralympic record recently with an insanely smooth 683.

Franco Colombu died yesterday. He was a legend and not just because he was Schwarzenegger's training partner and friend.

I was honestly more impressed by Franco's physique in Pumping Iron than Arnold's, he's the original manlet and no sketchy stories have come out about him that I know about and I appreciate that.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    The demographics of the USAWA are pretty interesting; here's the names and ages of the competitors at the 2019 national championships:

a9n7t4uqv8pb.png

Also, in the "where are your spotters, for the love of god" category:

c6kgawqf910f.png

I mean, there's heels on those shoes, and I guess it would be more likely to fall off away from his head, but still..

Took the weekend off to let the trap calm down, it was having some spasms.

Did some very bullshit upperbody yesterday with DB bench, lat pulldowns, t bar rows and pushups

Then hit some snatch high pulls + snatch, back squats worked up to a see-saw of 160/3 180/1 160/3 190/1 160/3 200/1

Then did snatch grip RDL’s and called it a day. For how shitty I felt, it was a solid day.

This discussion has been closed.