As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I mean, this is Cyberpunk.

There's going to be a weapon by that name but it will be very different conceptually.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    A bullet would probably have to go slower to have any chance of fancy magic tech altering its trajectory in a meaningful way
    That's not how smart guns work (i think).
    It's more like a regular gun, with a camera wired up to your cybernetics that determine if/when to shoot.
    Basicly an aimbot.

Seeking bullets aren't even sci-fi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX8Z2MDYX3g
    DARPA's Extreme Accuracy Tasked Ordnance (EXACTO) program recently conducted the first successful live-fire tests demonstrating in-flight guidance of .50-caliber bullets. This video shows EXACTO rounds maneuvering in flight to hit targets that are offset from where the sniper rifle is initially aimed. EXACTO's specially designed ammunition and real-time optical guidance system help track and direct projectiles to their targets by compensating for weather, wind, target movement and other factors that could impede successful aim.

s7Imn5J.png
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    At close range you're not going to get the Itano Circus redirect onto targets (easier just to use sights), but it's still super impressive.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    god damn it, I did N OT sign up for the William Gibson future, I very clearly wrote GENE RODDENBERY on the form, fuck's sake, whfyasdlfjldksjfdasljfdsl ._.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • LorekLorek Registered User regular
    People always forget in the Gene Roddenberry timeline, things get reaaaal shitty before you get to the Star Trek utopia stuff.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Even the Roddenberry future has to get through WW3 and the Post-Atomic Terror before we get to first contact and humanity deciding to get their shit together and stop being terrible to each other.

EDIT: It's not just humans, either. The Vulcans turned to the way of Surak, suppressing their emotions in favor of pure logic, because those passions were so strong they came this close to destroying themselves in their own nuclear war. In the soft canon, a lot of the other species have similar events in their history. It seems to be a Thing™ in Trek that most races have to go through an extremely ugly adolescence before they reach "maturity". And then there are all the dead civilizations out there that didn't learn the lesson, and did destroy themselves.

Commander Zoom on
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Lorek wrote: »
    People always forget in the Gene Roddenberry timeline, things get reaaaal shitty before you get to the Star Trek utopia stuff.

I have never been able to watch Star Trek without falling asleep. I love sci fi and friends always recommend it so I’ve seen 1 or 2 episodes of a handful of its series but it always loses my interest quickly. I think it’s THE popular thing people love but I can’t stand , I imagine everyone has one or two of those.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I have never been able to watch Star Trek without falling asleep. I love sci fi and friends always recommend it so I’ve seen 1 or 2 episodes of a handful of its series but it always loses my interest quickly. I think it’s THE popular thing people love but I can’t stand , I imagine everyone has one or two of those.

DS9 is about the only series I would say is actually Star Trek and is genuinely mostly enjoyable for modern viewers (and even that has several skippable episodes). ToS is pretty old and campy so you have to be able to enjoy that sort of thing, TNG has pretty rough early 90s effects and would take some sifting for the better stuff, Voyager is butt, Enterprise is double butts, I wouldn't even put Discovery down as a Trek show despite the name (though it's more viewable now than the older series), and the reliably good group of Trek movies are either based on ToS or are one or two of the newer ones and don't really have any kind of series attached (and also take a big dump on prior series because the director just could not be bothered with continuing the setting instead of taking it apart).

Honestly, if you wanted to be able to enjoy Star Trek without having to slog through a lot of filler, I'd say watch Orville. A bunch of the same themes and with more comedy, but plenty of heart and has modern editing/writing/effects.

god damn it, I did N OT sign up for the William Gibson future, I very clearly wrote GENE RODDENBERY on the form, fuck's sake, whfyasdlfjldksjfdasljfdsl ._.

Yeah but we'll have 5G tho.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

With very few exceptions I like pretty much all music but I would press a button that instantly vaporized every Beatles fanatic before the person with the button even promised me the money part.

Then I would prevent them from telling me the money part as I pressed it a least a half dozen more times just to be sure.

Ironically McCartney and Starr would be spared because even they lean towards "Ok, jfc guys, enough already"

Star Trek being boring is part of its charm.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Honestly, if you wanted to be able to enjoy Star Trek without having to slog through a lot of filler, I'd say watch Orville. A bunch of the same themes and with more comedy, but plenty of heart and has modern editing/writing/effects.

I don't mind a bit of Trek, but wouldn't call myself a big fan. But I can't agree with this part enough - The Orville is fantastic.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I grew up with TNG loving parents so I've watched a lot of trek but I also think Seth McFarlane is garbagé

This has left me in limbo about orville

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    The Orville is okay at first, and gets better when they lose the gutter humor in favor of humor built on the characters.

It's not the second coming of Christ, but it's a very nice TNG approximation, and some stories could've been straight out of TNG, no exaggeration.

I hope it continues this amazing upwards trend

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I like both show formats at times, and with the drowning glut of non-stop thrill ride action whooaaaaaaa because the general public has to be on an adrenaline rush literally all the time or they'll get bored and go back to their phones(yes this is very much angry old man rant), I lament the dearth of slow burn space opera sci-fi like a lot TNG/DS9/Babylon 5 episodes had. As much as I like Orville, it's still very much rooted in that "rush rush" philosophy for a lot of it(partially not its own fault, given the network seems to be on the verge of cancelling it between every season).

I think it goes without saying we can do without the episodes of Troi getting mind violated to crappy 80s synth music, but I'd love to see more Measure of a Man-paced episodes where we can have an interesting story that doesn't have to rely on adrenaline violence. That being said, even the Witcher games had its share of fun quests like that, and as such I have some high hopes Cyberpunk is going to have quest lines that focus more on political or corporate intrigue than constant "RAH RAH FIGHT THA POWAH". Those quests usually end up more memorable to me than corporate lackey #542 betraying me for the Nth time by refusing to pay me or leaving me to die in the middle of a firefight.

Donnicton on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    The Orville is okay at first, and gets better when they lose the gutter humor in favor of humor built on the characters.

It's not the second coming of Christ, but it's a very nice TNG approximation, and some stories could've been straight out of TNG, no exaggeration.

The Orville actually has a number of former TNG writers working on it. Including Brannon Braga who was the writer/producer for TNG.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited August 2019
    Axen wrote: »

The Orville actually has a number of former TNG writers working on it. Including Brannon Braga who was the writer/producer for TNG.

It's more or less The Next Generation: The Next Generation, without the Star Trek license and with a bit of added funny.

And if the crew/ship aren't actually the fleet's finest.

Jazz on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Not to be a stinker, but we do have both a Star Trek thread and an Orville thread. As much I like Orville, we should probably discuss this over in one of those for the sake of people who might think new posts here might mean new info about Cyberpunk.

EDIT: This post contains no new info about Cyberpunk.

Ninja Snarl P on
    There is a little Cyberpunk news that I don't think I've seen mentioned yet, but apologies if it has: there'll be more gameplay streamed next week. Not tons, just a 15-minute edit of Gamescom footage, but still.

https://www.techradar.com/news/cd-projekt-red-will-stream-more-cyberpunk-2077-gameplay-in-august

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I honestly thought with Gamescom happening, we would've had news of or the release of that 50 minute gameplay as a demo.

I suppose that's more likely to come out within the final hours around February/March.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• LorekLorek Registered User regular
    I honestly thought with Gamescom happening, we would've had news of or the release of that 50 minute gameplay as a demo.

I suppose that's more likely to come out within the final hours around February/March.

I think they said at E3 they were gonna release that to the public at PAX West, which is next weekend.

I think they said at E3 they were gonna release that to the public at PAX West, which is next weekend.

I missed that.

Just at the shows, or downloadable?

Jazz wrote: »

I missed that.

I assume YouTube.

Axen wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »

I missed that.

I assume YouTube.

Ah, of course. Wrong end of the stick on my part.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I was hooked on The Orville when the guy shows up on the bridge and the first thing that happens is Lamar (?) asking if it was still cool if he kept his drink under the console.

Still think Galaxy Quest is better though.

Bigity on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Character creation is now more suited to the future - you don't choose a gender anymore. Rather you just choose body features, voice, etc. Very good change!

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Character creation is now more suited to the future - you don't choose a gender anymore. Rather you just choose body features, voice, etc. Very good change!

I don’t think this would have happened if there hadn’t been a lot of fans yelling at them

Still, good on them for listening to the criticism

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I don’t think this would have happened if there hadn’t been a lot of fans yelling at them

Still, good on them for listening to the criticism

I mean, they specifically say it's due to feedback. They aren't trying to hide that or anything. And that shouldn't lessen the effort either.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

aww yiss

the final level of this is the character gender option in barkley 2 which is a non-exclusive checklist

obF2Wuw.png
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    After seeing Raytracing in Control that was released yesterday I'm really excited to see how it will look in Cyberpunk.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Finally I can give my dude protagionist the luxurious mane he deserves.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Finally, I can have a female protagonist who doesn't have giant breasts and huge hips.

(Actually it's pretty possible that I'll be able to be flat anyway, but like... I could be flatter.)

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

This is definitely an awesome thing.

When games keep hairstyles separated by gender it's just like.. whyyyyyyyy

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

This is definitely an awesome thing.

When games keep hairstyles separated by gender it's just like.. whyyyyyyyy

heteronormativity, ruining everything since roughly forever!

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Just give me a bulge and booty slider like Saints Row 3/4, and let me wear chaps. More games should let me do that, and this gender-fucked future is just the right place to let me enjoy running around, doing missions with my ass hanging out if I want to.

I hope.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Man, I don't want to bring in stupid MRA nonsense in this thread, but good lord, I have to vent! I can't even look at relatively mainstream articles about the gender feature without having to read moronic comments about how the removal of a binary gender option is "catering to SJWs" and has "ruined" the game.

I mean, YOU CAN STILL PLAY CIS, they're not taking anything away from you, you goddamn man-children! This does not cause you harm in ANY way and is entirely setting-appropriate! I hate that my being a 40 something white cis-male fan of video games lumps me in the same category as you silly geese!

URG!

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, Gamers are terrible I have just made my peace with that.

I also understand the struggle of trying to explain to people that yes, I am into games but I am also not a hate-mongering idiot.

And as we sadly know, it really has nothing to do with them actually feeling like anything is taken away from them(which ya know, it's not anyway).

Hateful people just need a shield to hide behind when being hateful to keep from admitting they are being hateful.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    No, I think that they do genuinely feel that something is being taken from them. And they're right! ... sort of.

It's just that they are starting with literally all the marbles. And if you take any away to give to other sorts of people, then they no longer have as many marbles as they used to. Never mind that they still have, like, 90 and the new entrants have one or two or as many as five...