As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

1939495969799»

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    No, I think that they do genuinely feel that something is being taken from them. And they're right! ... sort of.

It's just that they are starting with literally all the marbles. And if you take any away to give to other sorts of people, then they no longer have as many marbles as they used to. Never mind that they still have, like, 90 and the new entrants have one or two or as many as five...
    Well, the thing being taken is the ability to see themselves as the only real people in the world.
    So, they are kinda having something taken from them.
    But as far as the ability to play the games they have always played, that is, if anything, just increased thanks to increased game selections and online distribution.

edit-
    Well, it's not really even the ability to see themselves as the only real people, but the implicit and almost universal agreement in the media they consume.

Nyysjan on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    No, I think that they do genuinely feel that something is being taken from them. And they're right! ... sort of.

It's just that they are starting with literally all the marbles. And if you take any away to give to other sorts of people, then they no longer have as many marbles as they used to. Never mind that they still have, like, 90 and the new entrants have one or two or as many as five...

Maybe some. But even those people are wrong. And usually not interested in looking any deeper to see that they are wrong because it's an opportunity attack those that they have prejudice against without admitting to themselves or others that they are prejudiced(we know though).

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular

Wait, hang on, what, specifically, is being taken away in this particular case? The specific word "male"? Your character can still be created to appear male, have a schlong and big muscles, and speak with a deep voice. Are we literally talking about the word "male" appearing as a binary menu option as the "thing" that is being taken away? Is that it?

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

Wait, hang on, what, specifically, is being taken away in this particular case? The specific word "male"? Your character can still be created to appear male, have a schlong and big muscles, and speak with a deep voice. Are we literally talking about the word "male" appearing as a binary menu option as the "thing" that is being taken away? Is that it?

I literally saw someone in the wilds of twitter arguing this yes: that they should have pronoun selection as part of it and record the games voice over to accommodate it multiple times.

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular

I literally saw someone in the wilds of twitter arguing this yes: that they should have pronoun selection as part of it and record the games voice over to accommodate it multiple times.

Has it been specifically stated that the game contains no gendered pronouns when referring to V altogether? My understanding is that they just removed "male" and "female" from being attached to specific body types. I have to assume that most of the voicework is done by now; was the voicework never gendered in the first place? At work, so I can't look up clips right now, but I am curious. I simply assumed "male" and "female" changed from being attached to a specific body type and voice to simply being another option as to the chosen gender identity of V.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Yeah. The funny thing is that in games where gender is selectable the writers already go through great lengths to make things as gender neutral as possible(cause its cheaper).

So really folks complaining probably wouldn't have even noticed a difference in the first place.

Edit:

I think the only time I remember a salient argument being made was during DA2 where some people wanted more hardcoded identities cause they didn't like the one size fits all romances.

But Cyberpunk doesn't seem to be leaning heavy into romance so I don't think it that big a deal here.

Dragkonias on
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

The assumption that the protagonist is a generic white cis male with action stubble (an archetype sometimes called "Steve").

Or, to put it another way, unquestioned and unexamined privilege and exclusivity of representation. Used to be only they got it, and now other kinds of people are getting some, and that means they no longer have all of it.

I never said it wasn't stupid, only that they are losing something.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Has it been specifically stated that the game contains no gendered pronouns when referring to V altogether? My understanding is that they just removed "male" and "female" from being attached to specific body types. I have to assume that most of the voicework is done by now; was the voicework never gendered in the first place? At work, so I can't look up clips right now, but I am curious. I simply assumed "male" and "female" changed from being attached to a specific body type and voice to simply being another option as to the chosen gender identity of V.

It has not been specifically stated even.

That is indeed how far these people are reaching.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Can I be a spider frame with mantis blade arms yet? I feel like Cyberpunk has the technology to do it.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

I've been waiting a long time!