As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cyberpunk 2077, the Seizure Inducing Videogame, Released December 10

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited December 2020 in Games and Technology
fxfmwt8.jpg

ihM4G54.png?1

https://youtu.be/qIcTM8WXFjk

Cyberpunk 2077 is a first-person RPG by CD Project RED, developers of the Witcher series. It is based on the Cyberpunk 2020 tabletop RPG created by Mike Pondsmith, who was a consultant for the video game.

5Y29SNb.jpg?1

Keanu Reeves is in the video game, playing Johnny Silverdick Mnemonic or some character from the RPG. Lady Gaga is also rumored to have a role. You can beat the game without killing anyone, either in real life or in the game. Potentially you can kill the Pope although this is me reading between the lines.

Quztpv5.jpg?1

You play as V, and your overaching goal is to steal a computer program that contains the key to immortality. You can drive a car around.

egp1szb.jpg?1

https://youtu.be/vjF9GgrY9c0

Reviews
Links

TychoCelchuuu on

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    For anyone curious about the thread title it's a reference to this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3j2NYZ8FKs

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

It’s that band Willie Nelson covered, right?
    i’m sorry

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Excellent new thread title.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

I... already knew that.
    but that's okay, there's probably lots of people in a thread about cyberpunk who remember the 80s...

I'M NOT OLD!
    sob

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular

I... already knew that.
    but that's okay, there's probably lots of people in a thread about cyberpunk who remember the 80s...

I'M NOT OLD!
    sob

excuse me I loved the 80s, except for reagan, I'm glad that bastard is dead

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Gameplay stream going live in like 4 hour and a half hours from now.
    Here's a link to gamespot's stream but I'm sure it'll be all over the place. Pretty sure this is going to be the PAX West Presentation of the gameplay stuff the press saw at E3.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/watch-cyberpunk-2077s-gameplay-livestream-here/1100-6469488/

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Oh shit PAX is this weekend?!

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
  • QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    To answer the plight of the incel gamer as succinctly as possible from the other thread...

Some male gamers have the same bruised sensibilities as straight white voters and the terribly concerned Christians... they used to be the only demographic anyone cared about, now that's not the case, and they hate feeling like they're not as important anymore.

Simple as that.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'd like to say that I'm really pleased they made positive changes. I also think that as annoying as some found it, the community dogpiling was important because it actually seems to have caused the company to reflect. Yay!

What is this I don't even.
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Here we go!

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Looks like they changed up that poster.

Also, and not to bring up old shit, but some of those hot takes from RPS seemed a bit too hot-haded.

Also ROACH!

EDIT: Also, this makes me really miss Hollie from Playstation Access.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    can you install a cyberdick in every slot

Non-lethal playthrough possibility CONFIRMED. Fuck yes.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    They did a much better job of not spoiling anything than the last deep dive video did. Everything looked great - though the netrunning scene with the ice had me curious.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Non-lethal playthrough possibility CONFIRMED. Fuck yes.

I haven't watched the footage yet but the correct, mechanics accurate, way to do this in 2020 was to be good at Akido and endlessly body flip dudes into eachother to prompt KO/stun rolls.

Just as an aside into how crazy RPG mechanics can wind up being expressed.

edited August 2019
    It was confirmed some way into the Q&A that Hollie did with the devs after the gameplay footage. They were very specific, more than once, that you can play through the entire game without ever killing anyone. Mostly by going netrunner in your build, I gathered. (Edit: I guess it was confirmed a couple of months ago, again a change in design in response to fan feedback. But it's nice to hear it directly from the mouths of the devs.)

Also Mike Pondsmith shows up near the end to talk about the Animals and the Voodoo Boys.

Jazz on
  • MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    In. To. My. Veins.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Looks pretty good. With the flexibility and freedom to range from zero kill pacifist to total carnage and all the different approaches, this may be the perfect Deus Ex-esque immersive sim.

Which means I should look into getting a new processor and motherboard by spring.

s7Imn5J.png
    Not gonna lie the general tone of every trailer being "Everyone has agendas and the world is a betrayal fuelled garbage scape!" is genuinely deflating.

Like that's the story version of putting a trailer full of nothing but watching someone do inventory management. You can't tell if that style of shit comes to fruition or exists meaningfully till the full game is in your hands.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Not gonna lie the general tone of every trailer being "Everyone has agendas and the world is a betrayal fuelled garbage scape!" is genuinely deflating.

Welcome to the genre called Cyberpuuuuuuuunk 🤘

edited August 2019
    Donnicton wrote: »

Welcome to the genre called Cyberpuuuuuuuunk 🤘

Nah, there are plenty of cyberpunk stories that don't need to be based on cynicism on the human level.

Like every trailer continues to circle back to "this is cool, it's a shame all this money went to writing that would have being hot shit thirty years ago, when the game first came out"

Albino Bunny on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    One of the genre conventions of cyberpunk is that your life is worth a couple creds at best, and the megacorps do. Not. Care.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Even if I didn't care about gender politics at all, I'm always down for greater flexibility in a character creator. Why wouldn't you be?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    One of the genre conventions of cyberpunk is that your life is worth a couple creds at best, and the megacorps do. Not. Care.

I mean, this wasn't true even in super early books like Snow Crash and also it should not be true in modern versions provided you're actually trying to be punk rather than just "cool profit margins!"

Like I don't know if I can be more clear but:

1) the 2020 RPG is literally almost 30 years old today. Which is why it has shit like the ability to put hot tech like fax machines in your cyberarm. Also it has a huge number of issues that blame bodily autonomy on the people needing it and not the corporations.

2) We should expect better from writters than "stuff which was genre savvy as a 16 year old game master for 2020 in the 1990's"

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    You know I used to be about pacifist runs back in my younger days. Now I'm all "Move I got places to be" *random explosions*

• EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular

I mean, this wasn't true even in super early books like Snow Crash and also it should not be true in modern versions provided you're actually trying to be punk rather than just "cool profit margins!"

1) the 2020 RPG is literally almost 30 years old today. Which is why it has shit like the ability to put hot tech like fax machines in your cyberarm. Also it has a huge number of issues that blame bodily autonomy on the people needing it and not the corporations.

2) We should expect better from writters than "stuff which was genre savvy as a 16 year old game master for 2020 in the 1990's"

I'm curious now, what is that you think separates cyberpunk from other sci-fi genres? Like, what is cyberpunk to you?

edited August 2019
    Etiowsa wrote: »

I'm curious now, what is that you think separates cyberpunk from other sci-fi genres? Like, what is cyberpunk to you?

Focus on near future, augmentation as a metaphor for bodily autonomy, corporate control and fighting it.

None of which actually requires accepting a default tone of lives being worth tiny baby money.

Like if your punk setting is all about establishing that Yes, the Status Quo really is that life is cheap and worthless then uh, it's not punk? It's just boot licking profit margins?

EDIT: Like, if the genre at its base is about how tech is both inevitable and harmful in corporate hands then uh, any status quo version of it which follows the corporate mandate that freelancers are cheap lives to expend is just saying that the corporate hands are correct to treat people like that.

Which isn't punk.

At all.

Albino Bunny on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Even if I didn't care about gender politics at all, I'm always down for greater flexibility in a character creator. Why wouldn't you be?

I don't really see the supposed flexibility reflected in the screenshots they have put out.

Sure it's nice if pronoun is separated from body type, but those are still two pretty generic body types to pick from. Saints Row 2 did this better 11 years ago.

2077: The ultimate liberal cyberpunk, gender is flexible (provided you stick within the binary!), lives are cheap (but please seriously consider corporate profit margins!)

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I'm willing to chalk it up to being a demo build recording and probably not the actual most recent dev build of the game. That being the case I'd want to see the next iteration before I start railing on it.

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I'd put money on there not being any sort of body morphing. I assume your pronoun is linked to which ever voice you select.

Donnicton wrote: »
    I'm willing to chalk it up to being a demo build recording and probably not the actual most recent dev build of the game. That being the case I'd want to see the next iteration before I start railing on it.

I feel like if every single bit of news about a game needs "but we need more info!" then we should probably be less generically salivating for every droppings worth of gameplay.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Honestly I'm not even salivating my general feelings on the game is "looks interesting I'll play it when it comes out."

Haven't went out of my way to find much of anything.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I wouldn't expect much more than this. It is odd to me why CDPR is held to the standard of Saints Row, which is the gold standard that no other triple A game has attained

Which isn't to say I don't want that, I'd love if every game let me have as many choices as Saints Row, but I think expecting that is setting yourself up for disappointment

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Yeah, having a ton of body types means having a ton of clothing and models and highly complex modeling and animating. It's fine for Saint's Row because the character models look like garbage and nobody cares.

Path of Exile has spent 2 years working on their riggings and models for the new characters (Supposedly male/female for all classes) and have several people dedicated to doing just that. I think having the fully customizable character creator everyone wants is still a few years off, at least to the point where it characters and clothing look decent even with extreme character creation parameters.

jungleroomx on
    Eh. I dunno CDPR can't be God Savior of the industry one moment and struggling indie the next. Folks gotta pick a fight and stick to it.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Eh. I dunno CDPR can't be God Savior of the industry one moment and struggling indie the next. Folks gotta pick a fight and stick to it.

It's not a matter of that, it's simply a matter of resources and what the company is willing to put into what. Big companies like Square have limits, it's not just an indie thing.

Is character creation the most important part of a first-person-only game, or some other things? What will make the effort produce the most value, I guess.

jungleroomx on
    It is the second the game insists their character creator is super cool and the differentiating feature makes news sites.

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    CDPR, or at least their PR and their management, have said they want the company to be pioneers and cutting edge with whatever sort of game they are working on at the time. So I'm willing to put them up to a higher standard, because it's how they want to be judged.

Witcher 3 showed me that they have a lot of potential, as that's still one of the best open world RPGs I have played. Trying to accomplish the same thing in a different setting, with even more choices and a completely open MC is a feat I look forward to see the results of.

wbee62u815wj.png
This discussion has been closed.