As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    wunderbar wrote: »
    the "standard" would be for everyone to build a dongle with a built in dac, then it wouldn't matter whether the phone has a dac or not, it should just work. the problem is that the dongles with dacs are more expensive than those without, so if a company is making a phone with a dac built in they're not going to make a dongle with a dac that they sell for $15 when they can make one without and sell it for $9 and then make fun of the company that has a $15 dongle because it has a dac.

Honestly, the only way to solve this once and for all would have to be the USB-IF group literally building a dac into the USB controller spec. Then every single USB controller would have a dac and none of this should matter. but, building a dac into a USB controller sounds absurd, and will probably never happen.

It's simple, really...
    Gordon Ung wrote:
    ...put the 3.5mm jack back in the damn phone!

Jazz on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I will gladly get a 1mm thicker phone for bigger OR replaceable battery and headphone jack.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I want to build and release a phone with two headphone jacks.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    the headphone jack isn't coming back. It just isn't. tomorrow I'm going to pick up my shiny new Note 10+ and it's just a thing.

But if I'm being brutally honest with myself, I have two pairs of really good bluetooth headphones now and I think I plugged wired headphones into my current phone maybe twice in the last year.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I have some headphones I love that I use on both my phone and switch. Don't tell me to give those up. I won't do it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    the headphone jack isn't coming back. It just isn't. tomorrow I'm going to pick up my shiny new Note 10+ and it's just a thing.

But if I'm being brutally honest with myself, I have two pairs of really good bluetooth headphones now and I think I plugged wired headphones into my current phone maybe twice in the last year.

I think Samsung should have reopened the offer for the free Galaxy Buds with the Note 10 series. Would have made more sense and eased peoples initial complaints about the Jack. Plus the fact they are really good helps.

If you are after any official cases etc, be careful as there seems to be shortages.

Ziggymon wrote: »

I think Samsung should have reopened the offer for the free Galaxy Buds with the Note 10 series. Would have made more sense and eased peoples initial complaints about the Jack. Plus the fact they are really good helps.

If you are after any official cases etc, be careful as there seems to be shortages.

The funny thing is that in Canada they actually did do that. I'm getting a pair (that I'm going to sell since I already have them) when I pick up my note 10+ today.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Ziggymon wrote: »

The funny thing is that in Canada they actually did do that. I'm getting a pair (that I'm going to sell since I already have them) when I pick up my note 10+ today.

Wow Go Canada. Think the UK had an extra £100 value trade in deal. Thats it.

My initial thoughts of the device are very positive. seems to be a refined Note 9 which is all good. The S Pen gestures can be turned off so that's a plus too. My only concern though is the battery for 5G users. 5G seems to eat batteries for breakfast.

Canada's deal was/is insane. They're offering an additional $400 trade in for any note model on top of it's regular trade in value (so my note 9 will get a trade in of $787), free galaxy buds ($200 here, I'll sell mine for $150), and I also have a code for 10% off the samsung store through a discount card.

with all the stacked discounts and selling the galaxy buds I'm basically getting a trade in value of the full retail price of the Note 9. That's why I'm making the jump.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    https://www.kaspersky.com/blog/camscanner-malicious-android-app/28156/

CamScanner had a Trojan loader for a long while it seems. Beware if you had it.
    Oh goddamnit. I used that a lot for the OCR. :(

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Apparently the ad network they use got compromised, and that was what caused it. They say they hope to be back in the play store after getting that fixed.

Zilla360 wrote: »

Apparently the ad network they use got compromised, and that was what caused it. They say they hope to be back in the play store after getting that fixed.

The trust has already been broken.

edited August 2019
    I never had or used CamScanner, but there are a bunch of apps that appear to do the same thing, including one from Microsoft. Was there anything particularly unique about this one?

Jazz on
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I never had or used CamScanner, but there are a bunch of apps that appear to do the same thing, including one from Microsoft. Was there anything particularly unique about this one?

Just want to throw a second vote in for Office Lens (assuming that's the MS app you mean.)

dporowski wrote: »

Just want to throw a second vote in for Office Lens (assuming that's the MS app you mean.)

That's the one.

A friend of mine just got a Pixel 3 XL. I should be seeing him some time in the next couple of weeks, looking forward to having a bit of a fiddle with it.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular

I think they were the (or one of) the first to offer the feature, I bought a copy of it years ago since I needed to scan docs in the field. Haven't used it much since, but I still installed it on subsequent phones just in case.

Good to know there are alternatives though.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    This seems like the news dropped a short while ago, but the OnePlus 7T and 7T Pro were just announced. More or less identical to the 7 and 7 Pro it seems, save the McLaren branding and another new light blue colour.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news/oneplus/148968-oneplus-7t-pro-release-date-specs-news-features

gcqiik0yy5vv.png

That pop-up selfie cam is so trick. Love it.

• Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Got Android 10 on my 3a yesterday. I haven't had time to play with it that much, but so far so good.

Dhalphir wrote: »
    This seems like the news dropped a short while ago, but the OnePlus 7T and 7T Pro were just announced. More or less identical to the 7 and 7 Pro it seems, save the McLaren branding and another new light blue colour.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news/oneplus/148968-oneplus-7t-pro-release-date-specs-news-features

gcqiik0yy5vv.png

nitpicking, these are all rumours, the phones have not been announced yet.These rumours are probably pretty close, but no official announcement.

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Android 10's gesture controls have taken a little getting used to. I've been trying to swipe from the corner to change apps instead of just swiping across the bottom. Also I didn't know I could go backwards. But it seems to make sense now. Anything I'm missing with these?

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Android 10's gesture controls have taken a little getting used to. I've been trying to swipe from the corner to change apps instead of just swiping across the bottom. Also I didn't know I could go backwards. But it seems to make sense now. Anything I'm missing with these?
    • Swipe from the bottom left or right corner up/towards the center to invoke the assistant.
    • Because the swipe motion to go back interferes with the same motion to open the navigation drawer, there's a "peek" gesture, where you can hold on the left edge to peek the drawer open, whereby you can then swipe to open it. This harder and finicky than it should be for many apps (in the Play Store, for example, all those UI elements on the main page will take precedence over the peek), so you're just better off using the damn hamburger button.
    • You can adjust the back gesture sensitivity in Settings -> System -> Gestures -> System navigation -> Gesture navigation gear.
    • Initiating split screen is unintuitive. You open up the multitask screen and then hold on the app icon to open a menu. If you used the pill navigation from P, it's the same.

That's mostly it afaik. Pretty much a slightly clunkier iPhone X system, which I suppose you could do worse.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    So Android 10 update broke Ghostery on my Pixel 3. Any advice on similar privacy focused browsers to quarantine Facebook access? I think I heard something about a Mozilla branch that let extensions work on phones?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Zxerol wrote: »
    • Swipe from the bottom left or right corner up/towards the center to invoke the assistant.
    • Because the swipe motion to go back interferes with the same motion to open the navigation drawer, there's a "peek" gesture, where you can hold on the left edge to peek the drawer open, whereby you can then swipe to open it. This harder and finicky than it should be for many apps (in the Play Store, for example, all those UI elements on the main page will take precedence over the peek), so you're just better off using the damn hamburger button.
    • You can adjust the back gesture sensitivity in Settings -> System -> Gestures -> System navigation -> Gesture navigation gear.
    • Initiating split screen is unintuitive. You open up the multitask screen and then hold on the app icon to open a menu. If you used the pill navigation from P, it's the same.

That's mostly it afaik. Pretty much a slightly clunkier iPhone X system, which I suppose you could do worse.

Oh man I could not figure out why the assistant kept popping up.

I wish they kept the same gesture for the recent apps page: short swipe up to open it, long (or double) swipe up for app drawer.

And yes I miss how easy split screen was on O.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019

Oh man I could not figure out why the assistant kept popping up.

I wish they kept the same gesture for the recent apps page: short swipe up to open it, long (or double) swipe up for app drawer.

And yes I miss how easy split screen was on O.

Ya, the assistant gesture is one of those non-obvious things. Beta 5 actually did have a UX hint that made it a bit more clear.

https://youtu.be/0yT28RMyaQ4

It was taken in beta 6 because it's annoying and fugly as shit.

update from the far future of five days later: after factory restoring the phone, it looks like the hints are there, so maybe it's a timed thing, dunno.

Zxerol on
    I feel like they should have some kind of onboarding when you upgrade to tell you all the new gestures. Seems silly that they change it without giving help.

The first several times I went home with the new gestures, it flashed the home bar at the bottom and corner indicators, so I kept trying to swipe from the corners to switch apps and sometimes it worked and other times it brought up the assistant. Now I can get everything to work fairly well when I need it to. Still a little clunky.

edited September 2019
    So, I've had the Note 10+ for almost a week now. This thing is a beast. I wasn't really sure if it was going to be a significant upgrade from the note 9, but again the trade in deal was just so good that I jumped on it.

It's good. very good. I don't think battery life is appreciably better than the Note 9, which is a tad disappointing, but expected (and it's not like the battery life is bad, it's about average as to what I expect/get out of a phone). It also doesn't have a headphone jack. There's going to be one or two instances in the next year that I am going to swear at the phone because I'll have needed the headphone jack for something, but alas. Also, the USB-C headphones in the box are really good. Not "good for pack in headphones" they're headphones I'd be ok with using every day. do they sound as good as the high end headphones I have? No. But they're good. I keep them in my bag now. If you've had a samsung phone since the S8/Note 8 generation, they're basically the same AKG headphones you've been getting in the box, just with USB-C on the end instead of 3.5mm.

The hole punch... I'm not bothered by it as much as I thought. There are a couple instances that I get annoyed, mostly in games, but honestly, I can live with it. But I can't wait for our full screen overlords to solve this once and for all (I know oneplus has, so it's coming.

The cameras... If you're expecting a giant leap over older samsung phones, nope. It's better, but not massively. Samsung's phones are not the best in low light. They're not bad, but the Pixel phones are better. In good lighting, you probably won't be able to tell the difference, but in low lighting, the pixels are better. I think the Note 10's low light photos are better than the Note 9, and except in really challenging situations the pictures are at least usable, where even with the note 9 I had a lot of trouble getting photos in bad lighting that I liked. so it's better, it's just not industry leading. I'm super happy to get the ultrawide lens. That was actually a big driver for me for the upgrade. It's a really fun lens to take landscape photos with. I love it.

The phone is fast. the UFS 3.0 storage might not affect a ton day to day, but during setup of the phone and heavy use, I can really feel how fast the I/O is. 12GB of ram... I thought 6 in the Note 9 was more than enough, but with 12 I never see an app close during active use of the phone. One great example is Pokemon Go. Generally if I'm playing the game, and switch away from it for more than 5 minutes, the game gets pulled out of RAM and I have to reload it when I go back to it. with the Note 10+, I came back to the game an hour later and it was still loaded in memory. It really is crazy fast. 256GB of storage is great, and means I pretty much never have to worry about it. I haven't use an SD card in years because the read/write on them is so slow compared to internal storage, and having 256 built in now just means that I never have to think about it again.

the screen is a Samsung screen, in that it's easily the best display I've ever looked at. And I said that last year with the note 9, but they somehow made it better. And honestly, the screens on these phone are large enough now that for an upcoming trip in a couple months, I'm probably not going to bring a table to watch movies on the plane. The screen is big enough, and nicer than any other display I own.

Lastly, the Aura glow colour is amazing and I love it. It has me rocking a clear case for the first time. Cannot get enough of it.

With that being said, no one should ever pay full price for this phone. $1150USD is too much. (It's $1460 in Canada). If you are looking to buy a high end Android phone and have to pay full price, I'd still recommend the OnePlus 7 Pro since it's several hundred dollars cheaper. But if you have a way of getting it at a discount, whether it be through a really good trade in deal, or something like that, or, you know, you win the lottery, This is the best phone you can buy. Period. But I would have never paid the full price for it.

quick EDIT: didn't mention charging. 25W charging is amazing. I can go from 20% to 70% in half an hour, and from 10-100 in about 55 minutes.. It changes how I use/charge my phone. I haven't charged my phone overnight in years, trying to maximize battery health (charging from 80-100 is as hard on the battery as going from 10-80). but I can get up, put it on the charger for 20 minutes in the morning, and then it's pretty much good to go. I also charge it at work while I sit at a desk all day so I don't have to worry so much if my phone is at 20% when I wake up. Also makes a big difference if it's say after work, and I'm going out for the evening and want the phone to be charged as much as possible. a quick 25 minutes on the stock charger and I've got almost a full battery. I love it.

wunderbar on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I was a little disappointed that the screen remained 60hz. Having tried a friend's OnePlus 7 Pro, there is no way my next phone would be anything other than a 90hz+ screen.

It's not a big deal for a lot of people, I'm sure, but the Note series has, for a long time, been "the phone you buy if you want your phone to do everything and have everything" where everything about the phone was at a bare minimum on par with everything else in the market, but it seems like between the lack of headphone jack, the cutout, and the 60hz display, it's made a few compromises where other phones have it beat.

That's why I'm waiting to upgrade until I see what the Pixel 4 looks like.

Dhalphir wrote: »
    I was a little disappointed that the screen remained 60hz. Having tried a friend's OnePlus 7 Pro, there is no way my next phone would be anything other than a 90hz+ screen.

It's not a big deal for a lot of people, I'm sure, but the Note series has, for a long time, been "the phone you buy if you want your phone to do everything and have everything" where everything about the phone was at a bare minimum on par with everything else in the market, but it seems like between the lack of headphone jack, the cutout, and the 60hz display, it's made a few compromises where other phones have it beat.

I get all of those points, and I generally agree, except for 90hz. Right now, not enough apps support 90hz for it to really matter, and it's a battery life hog. If I have a choice between 60Hz, or 90Hz and an 1-2 hours less battery, I'll take 60hz.

Otherwise, I do agree. the Note line has become "a more expensive S line with a pen" And I wish that wasn't the case.

Shadowfire wrote: »
    That's why I'm waiting to upgrade until I see what the Pixel 4 looks like.

If it's anything like the P3, it's going to be completely unremarkable hardware with excellent software that you probably paid too much for considering they will discount it hundreds of dollars weeks after launch making you, an early adopter, look like a damn fool.

(Me, just a tad bitter? Nah.)

((Still a solid phone tho.))

There have been enough problems with Pixel hardware over the years (the USB-C port on the Pixel 2 line was notoriously unreliable), and weird software performance/reliability issues that I'm starting to believe that google's implementation of Android isn't even the best anymore. The only reason to get Pixel phones are if you absolutely have to have updates day 1, which is a real thing that I don't discount, or you have to have the absolute best low light camera you can get in a phone, which is again a big deal for a subset of users.

But like, if you just want a solid android phone, i'm honestly not sure the Pixels are the phones to get. Maybe the 3a line becuase it's $400 USD. But compared to the 3 itself, there are companies that make better phones at the same or lower price than what the "big" pixels launch at.

edited September 2019
    No-bullshit Android is pretty much the only reason I got my P3 (that and my 6P was steadily weaving itself into dust everytime I had to coax it do anything), and I guess the camera is pretty cool. Went on a cave tour with my brother who brought along a fancy DSLR and I was taking rad ass fuckin pictures shot after shot in the dark, just pumping out those fuckers like Peeps on Easter, while he was fumbling with his kit and I'm like get owned biiiiiiiiiiitch.

But yeah, Pixels are probably a couple bills more expensive than they should be, which is a high price to pay for naked Android that is actually updated worth a damn on the reg.

Zxerol on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I got an insane deal on my Pixel 3 XL through my job and that's about the only reason I got it. I usually stick to mid-range to lower end phones. Before I had the 3 XL, I had the Moto G6 which wasn't bad but also isn't amazing. After a few months that thing slowed down fierce, even with keeping the device as healthy as I could. I just use my phone so much on the daily, it needs to perform. Battery and snappiness are what I want. There have been a few times recently the Pixel will get hung up for 5 seconds or so when trying to unlock the phone. It only happens when I'm using it a lot. But I use my phone for work every day, so it's constantly making calls, using apps, texting etc. So the battery is a champ. I'll get through the whole day of constant use and it won't die. I can take it from 8am to 11pm before it goes into battery saver mode at 5%, and even then it goes for a lot longer than it should on that 5.

So yeah, I would not have this phone if I had to pay full price, but it's a beast for performance

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I'm honestly going to try and keep my Pixel 2 going until the Pixel 4As roll around or a very good sale on the Pixel 4s hit.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    you very much do get what you pay for in phones. the difference between a $250 phone and a $1000 phone is giant. But There's a $500-$700 market with great phones. I wouldn't recommend somone buy a $250 phone unless you absolutely do not have more money to spend, and I also woudln't recommend you buy a $1000 phone unless money is absolutley no object. But there are a ton of phones in the $400-$750 range that are excellent. they're not *quite* as good as the $1000 phone, but is the Note 10+ $400 better than the Oneplus 7 Pro? Probably not.

The Pixel's problem is just that in the price range, there are phones that are better now, except for camera and update speed.

No-bullshit Android is pretty much the only reason I got my P3 (that and my 6P was steadily weaving itself into dust everytime I had to coax it do anything), and I guess the camera is pretty cool. Went on a cave tour with my brother who brought along a fancy DSLR and I was taking rad ass fuckin pictures shot after shot in the dark, just pumping out those fuckers like Peeps on Easter, while he was fumbling with his kit and I'm like get owned biiiiiiiiiiitch.

But yeah, Pixels are probably a couple bills more expensive than they should be, which is a high price to pay for naked Android that is actually updated worth a damn on the reg.

eh, that just sounds like someone who has a dSLR and doesn't *really* know how to use it. My dad is a photographer, and he doesn't "fumble" around to get great low light shots, and it's not like he's changing settings every shot. He just knows what he's doing.

eh, that just sounds like someone who has a dSLR and doesn't *really* know how to use it. My dad is a photographer, and he doesn't "fumble" around to get great low light shots, and it's not like he's changing settings every shot. He just knows what he's doing.

Well yeah, I'm assuming a professional photographer will know how to do things way better than my brother, a casual hobbyist, and me some idiot with a phone.

But I'm down with dunking on my bro though, cuz he a punk.