As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Astral Chain] Anime cyberpunk action cop game where you CAN pet the dog.

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited August 2019 in Games and Technology
hc6f761892td.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL6CldIRowc

Welcome to the Astral Chain thread! Here we'll be discussing Platinum Game's latest release on the Nintendo Switch. Don't be fooled by the trailer above though, while it may look like a standard beat-'em-up game, it has a surprisingly long list of assorted side gameplay that you'll go through.

The game has been getting universal praise for it's combat accessability and side-mission gameplay. Listen to Polygon's Chris Plante describe the game in his review:

"Astral Chain is an action game for beginners," Plante said. "The default difficulty mode favors story over challenge; the more difficult "Pt Standard" option, also available from the start, provides plenty of items to keep my character's health maxed and their powers buffed. Ever wanted to try an action game like Bayonetta or Nier: Automata, but found the difficulty intimidating? Astral Chain is the answer."

Key to this is an innovative combat system that pairs the protagonist -- a detective in a post-apocalyptic future under attack by chimeras from a separate realm -- with a "Legion," a tame chimera attached to you by a chain.

Plante added: "I don't have to memorize complicated combos that require precisely timed button inputs; my supercop delivers attacks with one button... The most intimidating move on paper -- controlling the two characters mid-combat to weaponize the chain that binds them together -- is surprisingly the most simple in action. It's like maneuvering two humanoid crafts in a twin-stick shooter.

"Which isn't to say that longtime action fans won't have enough to do. The game has depth -- just not at the expense of accessibility."

So that wraps it up. The game is out now, so what are you waiting for?

Keep an eye on this space for future FAQs, pro-tips, and other useful information!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I'm just waiting to get home from work so I can play all night!

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Only got to play this for an hour yesterday but I am so hyped to play more this weekend.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Eagerly awaiting the day to end so I can go home and play. Hopefully the hurricane doesn't kill power D:

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Thankfully since it's a long weekend I get to leave early today.

Wooooo! Gonna caffeine up and play many hours today.

Gonna try to play the game using only the doggo/big sword for combat. I know it's not how the game is meant to be played but I love playing specific set-ups in games and I don't want to use anything but doggo pal.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    C'mon @MNC Dover but where is the clever thread title? :?

Seriously though, very excited for this one. Now I just need W101 ported over for the complete Platinum awesomeness package.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Seriously though, very excited for this one. Now I just need W101 ported over for the complete Platinum awesomeness package.

Oops! Missed that, my bad. Fixed!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Oops! Missed that, my bad. Fixed!

That's better :^:

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Petting dogs is something that instantly puts games above the rest.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    This needs more Jojo posing.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Platinum Games released something so everyone should buy this immediately.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I have to decide whether to buy this or Control and it is a very unfair problem to have.

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    This needs more Jojo posing.
    PoPo's Bizarre Adventure.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    Winky wrote: »
    I have to decide whether to buy this or Control and it is a very unfair problem to have.

Control isn't too long!

I just got it and I'm going to take a break tonight just to see this in action then finish it up real quick this weekend before coming back to this.

Just buy all the games. Best decisions.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

Control isn't too long!

I just got it and I'm going to take a break tonight just to see this in action then finish it up real quick this weekend before coming back to this.

Just buy all the games. Best decisions.

Sadly, as it is my Switch backlog already extends to the moon, so I am limited to one game per month for the rest of my human existence.

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Looking at the case to this game unopened right in front of me but i don't have the energy to start it up because i just got back from shopping at walmart with a hurricane heading our way so it was draining to say the least.

But as soon as i catch some sleep oh man i am going to pet all the dogs.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Was it the peril of the hurricane or the horrors of humanity that one finds at Walmart that has you drained?
    Because honestly, it's hard to say which of the two I'd rather be forced to deal with.

vamen on
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

You don’t have any Control so you have to buy Astral Chain.

Viskod on
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Right, someone needs to buy some candles from me STAT so i can in turn affoard to buy astral chain, and not do dumb things with my money.

Or i could do dumb things with my money. Decisions, decisions,,,,

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I see a cat in that picture. Can I pet the cat in this game?

Madican wrote: »
    I see a cat in that picture. Can I pet the cat in this game?

You can pet both cats and dogs as far as I know!

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    So, wait, both the male main character and the female main character are called Akira?

Boy, someone hadn't been expecting twins, had they?

So, wait, both the male main character and the female main character are called Akira?

You name the one you play and the one you don't play becomes the Akira of your game. They are not both supposed to be named Akira.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    My main issue with the character customization is the seven letter name character limit. Like, seriously?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    skeldare wrote: »
    My main issue with the character customization is the seven letter name character limit. Like, seriously?

Woah. That is a really weird limitation.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

You name the one you play and the one you don't play becomes the Akira of your game. They are not both supposed to be named Akira.

I mean, I know, but that leaves both characters with Schrödinger's name. They may or may not be named Akira until the player chooses a character and the wave form collapses.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Here's a warning for you fine folks: If you press + to pause, pressing + again will skip the video you are watching. You press - to unpause.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Pfft, not with that attitude they're not.

Meanwhile there are us galaxy brains naming our Garnet Garnet instead of Dagger.

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    This game is pretty good, looks slick as hell, plays even slicker.

Also \o/ that exploration theme music.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I dunno what kind of opening I expected from a Platinum game, but yeah that was a Platinum opening.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • MorranMorran Registered User regular

I mean, I know, but that leaves both characters with Schrödinger's name. They may or may not be named Akira until the player chooses a character and the wave form collapses.

I will totally name my main charter Akira.

• YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    Tetsuo though

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I love how much the chain is actually used in combat animations and such (like, there's an attack where you just swing the sword legion around on the chain to smash something up). And the various ways you directly weaponize it (e.g. catching a charging enemy and flinging them).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    I am no good at this slash mode. Got stuck on the training simulator for like 5 minutes. I keep forgetting what stick moves the slash line.

• KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    I'll be able to play this tomorrow. I'm a big Platinum fan (Bayo, W101, Vanquish), but not entirely sure what to expect since it seems the combat sections are only part of the mix. I'm pretty psyched.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I have not instantly liked a game in quite some time. The first half hour of this game is simultaneously way too much and incredibly stylish and cool.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Woah. That is a really weird limitation.

The Japanese cheat by loading two sounds onto a single character. They aren't very good at acknowledging that in international releases.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Oh my god come on game: "Move your Legion to eavesdrop on the conversation. Be sure to not get too close!"

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Oh my god come on game: "Move your Legion to eavesdrop on the conversation. Be sure to not get too close!"

To be clear, the legion can get as close as it wants. It means the player character needs to stand back.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Oh I can change my legions colour too? Hot pink for everyone!