As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Astral Chain] Anime cyberpunk action cop game where you CAN pet the dog.

• YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    One of the colour unlocks is just Evangelion Unit 01

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    The music is so damn good!

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I’m loving the investigation aspect in this, then you get to that sweet sweet platinum combat.

First Remnant from Ashes and now this, two very good surprises this month.

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    Oh I can change my legions colour too? Hot pink for everyone!
    If you can choose per Legion, when I'm able to pick up the game I'm going to be hard pressed to not to color them after the Wonderful One most similar to each Legion. And given that I don't think green would look that great, I think I'm going to have to go with (W101 spoilers):
    something similar to Immorta's color scheme since she also uses a bow.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    There's exactly two ways to play a Platinum game.

1) You synchronize your brain with the controller and get Knowledge. You slowly collect an encyclopedic knowledge of iframes and dodge offsets until you can backflip through danger like a ballerina made of knives.

2) Try and fail miserably at the first until you realize how little free time you have for perfectionism, crank down that difficulty a little, and RULES OF NATURE. Do not feel shame! These settings were programmed to be used! Just chug that energy drink and revel in the most fabulous violence.

I am firmly in the second category.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I don't know where people are getting all these S+'s from. D's on every mission so far.

Also I love how your chain is like 5 feet in combat, but 200 yards or so in an anime cutscene.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Oh my god, Legions are just Stands. You even have the rule where huh can’t see one unless you have one.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I will say it's a slight disappointment to not have the usual voiced protagonist. Platinum writes really fun dialogue. Though they're mostly trying to be more serious here than W101.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I don’t understand this dodge training. He says a perfect dodge makes everything slow down. I dodge just before the hit, there’s a dramatic slowdown for a moment, but the game doesn’t say I did the training correctly. What am I missing? Is it actually something different? Am I looking to see a slowdown effect more like Witch Time?

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    YggiDee wrote: »

1) You synchronize your brain with the controller and get Knowledge. You slowly collect an encyclopedic knowledge of iframes and dodge offsets until you can backflip through danger like a ballerina made of knives.

2) Try and fail miserably at the first until you realize how little free time you have for perfectionism, crank down that difficulty a little, and RULES OF NATURE. Do not feel shame! These settings were programmed to be used! Just chug that energy drink and revel in the most fabulous violence.

God I want a new Revengeance

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    Ok. . .I am starting to feel the "silent protag" pushback, especially when characters respond to you as if you had actually said anything.

However the combat in this is nuts; no idea how someone could describe this as not action based because you aren't ALWAYS in action.

Okay I got it. You need to hit attack during the super brief slowdown to do a counter attack.

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Early character spoiler

Did anyone else just bust out laughing at the obvious
    Not-Gendo
    ?

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    urahonky wrote: »

Really diggin' the Neuron HQ music. Last 3 games I've played, the soundtracks have been amazing (Amid Evil, Ion Fury, Astral Chain). HE'S ON FIRE!

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    The combos in this game are out of control. The Legion running out of energy is a problem. . .until you realize the game gives you a skill where the Legion detonates AND despite the slow cooldown, can be called back before it reaches 100 if you get a perfect dodge/sync attack in.

• Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    TelMarine wrote: »

Really diggin' the Neuron HQ music. Last 3 games I've played, the soundtracks have been amazing (Amid Evil, Ion Fury, Astral Chain). HE'S ON FIRE!

It's awesome but also surprisingly....sensual for police station music.

Also: Just wipe your ass with a piece of TARP, I guess!?

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
    This combat is tough to pull off.

Also, that first real boss, I thought it was kinda dumb that it had this one move that's an instant kill if you don't figure it out. But revivals are easy enough, so it's fine.

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I’m gelling with the combat, the binding with the chain is hella useful. Also the joint combo attacks are great for smashing things quickly so far.
    2ukjt2fa8mm7.jpeg

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    my experience playing Astral Chain so far can be summed up in three pictures:

EDQbNCzXkAAJT_Q.jpg
    EDQdFs_XUAEhOdj.jpg
    EDRHYe_WwAEvaTy.jpg

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Shenl742 wrote: »

Sorry, 3 hits in a row made me think of NBA Jam

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Shenl742 wrote: »

Sorry, 3 hits in a row made me think of NBA Jam

That wasn't actually directed at you, sorry. There's actually a sidequest in this gamer there where you collect different types of toilet paper. Which includes a...piece of tarp. I'm just so weirded out by it!

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
    Marie Wentz spin-off game when?

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Just got done with File 3.

...Boy that thing did *not* let up.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Late File 3 and the argument with the sibling NPC
    "I don't need your help! I don't even need to hide behind a legion Nyeh!" *Proceeds to get kidnapped and held hostage by a legion*

edited August 2019
    As an aside, I see some people are saying perfect dodge is a trap but I think they want you to get out of a mindset where you're usually free to attack with impunity after similar mechanics. A lot of attacks are multi hit. What they seem to want you to be using perfect dodge for is setting up and making easier your next series of dodges and then counter attacking once the defensive phase of the exchange is over.

Edit: Counter point: Legion Slash is a fiddly awkward piece of shit move to use and I hope a lot of fights don't require it in the middle of a brawl.

Beezel on
  • KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Legion slash should use motion controls like no more heroes. How it works now is awful.
    I spent ages trying to get it to hit three moving cubes, gave up and just moved my legion into space and activated its spinning blades. And then the end of file03 happened. Ugh.

• bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Some body try to convince me to/not get this when I still have Nier to play through. I really want Astral Chain but shouldn't get it when I have so damn many other games to play. I did like Bayonetta until my 360 died and never went back to finish it.

akirasig.jpg
    On one hand I feel they're sufficiently different that playing both shouldn't be an obstacle, on the other hand NieR deserves your full attention.

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular

Despite my little free time I lean towards option one, except I know I'll never achieve perfection and getting lowish ranks at the beginning is acceptable. If I feel I'm having trouble I'll replay the first few chapters until the combat clicks. After clearing the game the first time I go for a mix of Platinum/Pure Platinum them bump up the difficulty.

And since you brought up Rules of Nature, here is a lovely reference from Wonderful 101 (Operation 001-C spoilers):

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Am I missing something obvious or do I not have access to leveling up yet? I thought I saw something about opening up the menu to do so but I don't see any such option when rummaging through the menu.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    You level up automatically when your EXP or whatever points are tallied at the end of each chapter. What you can do from the menu is level your Legion if that's unlocked.

You level up automatically when your EXP or whatever points are tallied at the end of each chapter. What you can do from the menu is level your Legion if that's unlocked.

File 3 after the training is when you can level them up.

Legion slash should use motion controls like no more heroes. How it works now is awful.
    I spent ages trying to get it to hit three moving cubes, gave up and just moved my legion into space and activated its spinning blades. And then the end of file03 happened. Ugh.

It’s just Blade Mode from Metal Gear Rising, isn’t it? Spin the cutting angle with the left stick and the camera with the right stick. Then cut.

edited August 2019
    Enlong wrote: »

It’s just Blade Mode from Metal Gear Rising, isn’t it? Spin the cutting angle with the left stick and the camera with the right stick. Then cut.

Also, click the right stick to slow time. So far nothing's really called for using it fast and precise. The counter with it doesn't really need any degree of precision, the cases in a fight where it does need to be more precise (exactly once so far) have all given plenty of time to line it up.

Polaritie on
    I don't quite get the grading system. I do a fairly normal fight, and I get a B+ or a D. I die 3 times against Cerberus and chug all my medicines, and I get an S+.

Also, I'm sure I missed something in the Cerberus fight. I do not know how to avoid that thing where it roars to paralyze you and then does a tracking drop attack on you.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I don't quite get the grading system. I do a fairly normal fight, and I get a B+ or a D. I die 3 times against Cerberus and chug all my medicines, and I get an S+.

Also, I'm sure I missed something in the Cerberus fight. I do not know how to avoid that thing where it roars to paralyze you and then does a tracking drop attack on you.

as far as I can tell, the game rewards you for doing the cool stuff, but doesn't penalize you for item use.

What's the pet dog button. I have a dog, but cannot figure out how to pet him.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    edited August 2019

Yeah, it seems to be purely score based from the bonuses and such. Being fancy scores big (using many legions, weapons, etc)

Polaritie on
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I'm still trying to dodge like this is Bayonetta and getting punished for it.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    In case anyone didn’t try it yet, control type C is something a bit more Bayo-ish.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    I'm so bad at the platforming sections it's embarrassing.