As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Astera Fest: Catch 'em all.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    On the bright side, I've learned how amazing the hammer truly is. I figured I'd use the events (that have a higher chance of crowns) as a training exercise. Mmmmmm 300 damage big bangs....

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Managed to knock out more of the AT fights last night. Soloing AT Xeno was a breeze using one of the builds I found online using one of the Lunastra LBGs. Vaal wasn't terrible but annoying that he refuses to go to the zone with the rocks. Ended blowing him up before he made it back to sleep. Teostra was a big baby. AT Zorah is just dumb; not hard but time consuming.

I'm thinking tonight I'll take care of Kushala and Lunastra perhaps. Seems like I've done decently in trying to catch up before the event quests end, though I've still got months to go since I'm playing on PC. Gotta figure out which of these optional quests I'm missing.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Kush is a slog since he is basically just a damage sponge. Luna is like tempered on meth. Super annoying and easily goes to pot with one bad move

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
  • Options
    mts wrote: »
    Kush is a slog since he is basically just a damage sponge. Luna is like tempered on meth. Super annoying and easily goes to pot with one bad move

Since I've been soloing all the AT stuff outside of KT, I've generally been using cluster 3 bombing to cheese these fights. Though the LBG video I went off of for Xeno was really nice. I think it was the Empress Shell "blaze" I used in combination with fortify strategy. Many rounds of freeze and flaming ammo were used.

I'm still definitely afraid of Luna. She's just so much more aggressive than Teo.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Saldonas wrote: »
    mts wrote: »

Since I've been soloing all the AT stuff outside of KT, I've generally been using cluster 3 bombing to cheese these fights. Though the LBG video I went off of for Xeno was really nice. I think it was the Empress Shell "blaze" I used in combination with fortify strategy. Many rounds of freeze and flaming ammo were used.

I'm still definitely afraid of Luna. She's just so much more aggressive than Teo.

Yea. I know the video you are talking about. That team puts out great stuff. I used their hbg pierce 3 strat.

I have soloed all but vaal and nerg at this point. The only one I didn't use a modified slice build was luna but I still had it but focused on ice

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Well I don't get all this winging I've heard online about Tempered Kirin is about. That shit was easy. :)
    I had ample warning about how horrific this fight is and researched extensively. It basically came down to a light bowgun with slicing ammo, which meant I could be mobile enough to dodge and not need exact pinpoint accuracy to hit the damn head when it has that shield. I was seriously expecting pain, and I was actually in the middle of trying to cook up some major thunder resist armor. But I thought... eh fuck it, let's stick my head in and see how bad things go, and I can at least walk away with some experience. I died once, and never got to capitalize on it sleeping because I restocked back at camp and decided to wait for the mantles to recharge. I was able to slam the barrels down when it fell over though. I also spend way too long at the start trying to jump off the vines and mount the thing hoping those grimalkin would tie it down, but the assholes never did.

But yeah, kinda feeling good and a little cocky, even though I did semi cheese it and probably had a massive dose of luck to boot. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I am so happy master rank is coming to World.

Hang on folks.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    New trailer tomorrow at 9 am PDT. They just teased it with an eyes emoji.

Probably something big tomorrow.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Well I don't get all this winging I've heard online about Tempered Kirin is about. That shit was easy. :)
    I had ample warning about how horrific this fight is and researched extensively. It basically came down to a light bowgun with slicing ammo, which meant I could be mobile enough to dodge and not need exact pinpoint accuracy to hit the damn head when it has that shield. I was seriously expecting pain, and I was actually in the middle of trying to cook up some major thunder resist armor. But I thought... eh fuck it, let's stick my head in and see how bad things go, and I can at least walk away with some experience. I died once, and never got to capitalize on it sleeping because I restocked back at camp and decided to wait for the mantles to recharge. I was able to slam the barrels down when it fell over though. I also spend way too long at the start trying to jump off the vines and mount the thing hoping those grimalkin would tie it down, but the assholes never did.

But yeah, kinda feeling good and a little cocky, even though I did semi cheese it and probably had a massive dose of luck to boot. :)

Yeah, everybody says "You NEED _____" and "You absolutely MUST bring _____"

From my time farming LR and HR Kirin, I knew two things: 3/3 lightning and paralysis just in case I fucked up, and just keep your eye open for the attack wind ups. Basically just spent the fight doing a couple aerial attacks targeting the horn, then wait out an attack...then do a couple aerial attacks on the horn, then wait out an attack. Repeat for 30 minutes or until you see the victory screen.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Elendil on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    DADDY'S HOME.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    I am so excited!

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    As a first timer, I’m out of the loop on why all the veterans are going crazy over Zingore.

Don’t get me wrong, it looks fun, and the armour looks sweet, but the reaction seems a bit more than the other reveals.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    It's a really well-designed fight, gives great looking gear, and it's a dog.

Also a flagship monster.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    As a first timer, I’m out of the loop on why all the veterans are going crazy over Zingore.

Don’t get me wrong, it looks fun, and the armour looks sweet, but the reaction seems a bit more than the other reveals.
    Zinogre is just a very well-designed monster. It's fast and high energy, but it's also very in-your-face (so the speed doesn't necessarily punish slow weapon users). The fight escalates quickly because of his thunder charge-up mechanic. The tempo of the fight is great and fun, and when Zinogre first came out, it played differently than other furry monsters. Also, its gear tends to be close to top-tier or top-tier for Thunder element. The variant (Stygian Zinogre) was also sufficiently different that it almost felt like a different fight, too.

Also, a lot of people's first taste of Monster Hunter was from 3U, and it was one of the big headliner monsters in that game, too (not the MAIN headliner, but certainly memorable).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    The bestest boy.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    It's a really well-designed fight, gives great looking gear, and it's a dog.

Also a flagship monster.
    You forgot the best part:

One of the sickest jams in the series.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Oh yeah, such excite.

Also, completely crashed out yesterday so missed out on more AT hunts. Oh well :D

Saldonas on
  • Options
    I dunno, he sounds kind of like Odogaron. And I hate fighting Odogaron.

Will you fuckin' sit still?!. Asshole moves around like it just snorted a mix of Red Bull and speed.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Oh it's a very different fight from Odogaron.

Btw a good tip against Odo is to always let him bring the fight to you. You eventually learn where his attacks land so you're always in position to hit him when he whiffs you.

• Options
    He seriously is one of the best designed fights in the series.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Better warm up my bug net.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Better warm up my bug net.

Ssshhh.

But yes, you can catch thunderbugs (and more importantly fulgerbugs) off his back in much the fashion as mining Uragaan.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    So I want to play Iceborne but I don't want to renew PS+.

Is Iceborne gonna have hunts like Behemoth and the Leshen that are balanced exclusively for multiplayer?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    That seems like an unanswerable question since Iceborne isn't even out yet.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I'd be OK with an answer that's just an educated guess based on historical precedent

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Likely not until the dlc quests are announced, probably 2-3 months after launch

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    If you got a decent PC and only care about Monster Hunter it will probably be cheaper in the long run to get it on Steam the next time it goes on sale. Would have to redo the story and gear up again but you can use mods to speed up the decoration grind.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Doh, ran out of time to do more AT KT and some of those other event quests.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    So real talk, after seeing Zinogre... have they ever made any feline-modeled giant monsters for these games? I've seen virtually everything, but that's one of the few things I haven't... the closest thing I guess would be Nargacuga? It's basically a cat/bat monster hybrid for the most part, wouldn't it be?

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I mean

Lunastra and Teostra are literally just some lions.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGk2kVdEA60

"You should not play this game for the same reason you should not smoke crack" is definitely an apt summary.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    MechMantis wrote: »
    I mean

Lunastra and Teostra are literally just some lions.

They strike me more as manticores.

..Which I guess are just lions on mutagen steroids.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    So real talk, after seeing Zinogre... have they ever made any feline-modeled giant monsters for these games? I've seen virtually everything, but that's one of the few things I haven't... the closest thing I guess would be Nargacuga? It's basically a cat/bat monster hybrid for the most part, wouldn't it be?

Barioth is mostly feline.

They haven't made a wingless feline, though.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Can I assume that the Iceborne content isn't going to be balanced assuming I beat all the AT stuff, etc? I uh... Have not. I haven't even hit HR100, and stalled out at trying to drive off Lunastra.

I mean I already preordered it, so I suppose I'll find out real quick, but...

• Options
    Loved that video. Might actually pick up MHW on PC for my wife when the next sale comes around.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Hey GU peeps @Entaru and I are gonna jam some hunts on Monday. Time TBD but I got nothing else to do all day but help watch my daughter.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I'm still 1) finding my feet in GU (just did the 2-star Sand Shark mission), and 2) neck deep in crunch time at work.

In other words, even if I had time this weekend, I've got a long way to go before I'm not a massive burden on a non-gathering hunt.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |