As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Crusader Kings III: You Can Steal the Pope's Hat

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: ยป
    Actually at least some of them appear to apply instantly. When I loaded my game I had the option to declare focus and uh... play chess. I was not good at chess and then I died.

I got the chess event and was like "Oh crap! I'm still in gavelkind and have 2 sons!"

Luckily I got the event to offer my child in exchange for my life, though I later failed another check and ended up dying anyway. But death killed my other child too, so luckily didn't have to deal with a split kingdom.

I love a happy ending.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: ยป
    Actually at least some of them appear to apply instantly. When I loaded my game I had the option to declare focus and uh... play chess. I was not good at chess and then I died.

I got the chess event and was like "Oh crap! I'm still in gavelkind and have 2 sons!"

Luckily I got the event to offer my child in exchange for my life, though I later failed another check and ended up dying anyway. But death killed my other child too, so luckily didn't have to deal with a split kingdom.

See, this is why the dev team had to explicitly program the game so that players could no longer scheme to murder their in-game children.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I like that you took care to specify "in game" there.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I admittedly haven't played CK2 in a very long time, but I remember it being quite fun. Then I read this thread and I see that many of the same things are still going on, but also a whole host of new silliness! And then I see you can't plot to murder your in-game children and I just don't know if I recognize this game anymore.

steam_sig.png
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I admittedly haven't played CK2 in a very long time, but I remember it being quite fun. Then I read this thread and I see that many of the same things are still going on, but also a whole host of new silliness! And then I see you can't plot to murder your in-game children and I just don't know if I recognize this game anymore.

Don't worry. My son was murder plotting me, I arrested him then murdered him. I also once turned into a werewolf and slaughtered my grandchild that one time. What I'm saying is, there's options

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

Well, if you have Reaper's Due, you can now just appoint the kid you don't like as a commander, stick him on a boat commanding a paltry levy, and exile him to a wooden, buoyant prison in the North Sea until he dies of scurvy. It lacks panache, but it gets the job done.

uH3IcEi.png
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    So I don't know how this happened but I'm working on getting The Iron Crown of Lombard achievement so I started as the count of Capua in the old gods ~800 start. Eventually managed to make the kingdom of Romanga which would be enough to get the achievement in 3-400 years, but I wanted to get an empire so I kept trying to get to be an elector of the HRE. Somehow, even when I took over the elector duchy/counties they'd move the elector. Rude.

So I started marrying into the Byzantine Empire, finally got a mother with a claim and pushed that. She was promptly deposed, but after she died she left me her claim which I pressed. Here's where it gets weird. So I try and revoke someone's duchy and they rebel against my tyranny with 80k+ troops (more than double the highest empire levy on the map) I guess that part of CKII hasn't changed. They win and I abdicate, which not only removes everything in my demense, but gives my kingdom of romanga title to some random nephew. Also I'm playing as him for some reason?! I try and press my Uncle (former me)'s Strong claim but then the Plague comes and wipes out my uncle, and all of his children along with a ton of other people. I'm playing as a child with terrible traits and a rebellion takes my kingdom away. Back to a county and despite having 164 other living dynasty members, no dynastic heir.

Luckily, I maxed out my retinue when I briefly held Byzantine Empire, so I do have something most other counts don't have: a stack of 10k troops hanging out. It takes me years to reinforce it to full with my terrible income, but a crusade comes and I get enough gold to max it out. The pope says hey, terrible kid, you should be in charge of the kingdom of Romanga. Who am I to argue. Despite my retinue its a tough battle. Its at this point that I notice that somehow I still own the vassalized Varangian Guard? How the hell did that happen?

Long story short (too late) I'm looking at taking over the Byzantine Empire again.

38thDoE on steam
    ๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€

I like that you took care to specify "in game" there.

I feel like it pays to be specific when you're talking Crusader Kings. Otherwise people might get the wrong idea.

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I can confirm that all of the DLC will take effect without a restart and also won't mess up Ironman games. I added 3 of the bigger DLCs with the Humble sale and didn't restart my ongoing game.

Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    You won't be able to earn achievements with an ongoing game, however.

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I have, maybe it's restricted to achievements not tied to the DLCs though.

Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I think the only conflict is if you have a save with Conclave enabled you can't play it if you then disable Conclave, you would have to have Conclave enabled (Iron man mode anyway)

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    So I was not able to get build a hospital or go into seclusion but I was able to get achievements for seducing 10 people and becoming a pilgrim. Which didn't get rid of my lunaticness. Also did they remove being able to kill yourself by decision?

38thDoE on steam

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    It's still an option for immortal characters, at least.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    It was moved from the decision menu to the character menu, you have to right-click your own portrait

Awesome. Well if depression still lets you do it, then I guess make way for the next generation when they hit 16. Anything fun to do while a lunatic that won't jeopardize THE PLAN? Actually maybe I should do it immediately that way I don't have to worry about my heir being elected in Byzantine Empire. Wait can I press a weak claim as a child? If not, what happens to my way if I kill myself and the claim goes to my son? War ends or?

38thDoE on steam

edited August 2019
    I don't really know but I seem to remember: if you try to press a strong fabricated claim and you die, it becomes a weak claim for your heir and the war continues

You can declare wars as a child as long as your regent and the council agrees (with Conclave)

Platy on
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    So I don't know how this happened but I'm working on getting The Iron Crown of Lombard achievement so I started as the count of Capua in the old gods ~800 start. Eventually managed to make the kingdom of Romanga which would be enough to get the achievement in 3-400 years, but I wanted to get an empire so I kept trying to get to be an elector of the HRE. Somehow, even when I took over the elector duchy/counties they'd move the elector. Rude.

So I started marrying into the Byzantine Empire, finally got a mother with a claim and pushed that. She was promptly deposed, but after she died she left me her claim which I pressed. Here's where it gets weird. So I try and revoke someone's duchy and they rebel against my tyranny with 80k+ troops (more than double the highest empire levy on the map) I guess that part of CKII hasn't changed. They win and I abdicate, which not only removes everything in my demense, but gives my kingdom of romanga title to some random nephew. Also I'm playing as him for some reason?! I try and press my Uncle (former me)'s Strong claim but then the Plague comes and wipes out my uncle, and all of his children along with a ton of other people. I'm playing as a child with terrible traits and a rebellion takes my kingdom away. Back to a county and despite having 164 other living dynasty members, no dynastic heir.

Luckily, I maxed out my retinue when I briefly held Byzantine Empire, so I do have something most other counts don't have: a stack of 10k troops hanging out. It takes me years to reinforce it to full with my terrible income, but a crusade comes and I get enough gold to max it out. The pope says hey, terrible kid, you should be in charge of the kingdom of Romanga. Who am I to argue. Despite my retinue its a tough battle. Its at this point that I notice that somehow I still own the vassalized Varangian Guard? How the hell did that happen?

Long story short (too late) I'm looking at taking over the Byzantine Empire again.

The Varangian Guard are vassals of the Byzantine Emperor, but it definitely shouldn't have transferred to you if you lost the title. Maybe if they were raised whlie it switched or something?

I have to say this defense pact thing is really boring. Take over an empire? 100% threat. Now enjoy the pacifist lifestyle for the next 100 years. Oh? Vassalized a single county? Have another 10-20 years of doing nothing.

38thDoE on steam

I have to say this defense pact thing is really boring. Take over an empire? 100% threat. Now enjoy the pacifist lifestyle for the next 100 years. Oh? Vassalized a single county? Have another 10-20 years of doing nothing.

I always play with defense pacts off, I also don't like them on. It doesn't affect achievements to toggle them off thankfully

edited August 2019
    Well now I know! Going to be another few hundred years where nothing much happens though.

Wonder what the designers had in mind there. Just play around with various focuses and bloodlines or something?

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I had them on for one game, and have turned them off ever since.

First, the scaling is whackadoo, where you'd get an insanely high-level of threat when you diplomatically vassalized someone who was your de jure vassal.

Second, the constant spam of people deciding to join the pact, then leave after a week, then join again a week later, then leave agin, over and over. got wayyyyyy too obnoxious.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Second, the constant spam of people deciding to join the pact, then leave after a week, then join again a week later, then leave agin, over and over. got wayyyyyy too obnoxious.

This sort of behavior seems to be baked into how the AI in most 4x games handles "diplomacy" (i.e., not well).

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Pact's are super annoying, especially when you get people who are so far away they're practically bordering Narnia deciding to go after you; I once had the abbasids join a faction against me because I pressed a claim on *iceland.*

Well now I know! Going to be another few hundred years where nothing much happens though.

Wonder what the designers had in mind there. Just play around with various focuses and bloodlines or something?

I think the point was to make it slightly less easy for really skilled players to paint the entire map in their colour.

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

It's not terribly hard to manage, really. If you marry off one of your kids to a kid of the sovereign of someone in a pact, they leave the pact, and the pacts only join together with over 75% threat. There's very little reason to try to drop threat to 0 - if you're big enough to have the entire not-you world join defensive pacts against you, you're probably big enough to win that fight, it'll just be tedious.

uH3IcEi.png
    Maybe? I'm super spread out and have a lot of powerful guys cradling my capital. I might try it after I get the Lombard kingdom 1300 achievement. It does seem super tedious though, I don't think I'll go for the have various kingdoms etc achievements after that. Better to restart.

38thDoE on steam

It's not as bad when there are many large blobs because people have to be around the same strength or weaker than you in order to join

It makes the game easier in some respects because the AI loves to throw away event troops against Defensive Pacts, unaware that they won't reinforce as levies

The other thing to bear in mind is that Defensive Pact strength only goes up upon taking land and only fires upon declaring war, so once you're at a point where you can take on a pact you should declare as many wars at the same time as you can handle.

In practice this leads to a cycle of massive expansion followed by consolidation, rather than just constantly going apeshit on everyone you had a CB against, which was the standard practice before the introduction of pacts.

uH3IcEi.png
    I... Vassalized a count and got 41% threat. 18 years to go away? That seems excessive.

38thDoE on steam

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    you can also console something like "infamy -100" if you want to continue your game.
    Console doesn't work on ironman though.

The Paradox method of locking up achievements is so weird. Steam achievements can be spoofed so easily.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    BLAARGH. After the End mod (fking awesome mod btw), I'm playing as the Maritimes (Anglican Christian) and I'd launched a righteous holy war against the pagan New Englanders. It was a hard fight, several years of bloody back and forth, but I finally had them on the ropes! 95% war score, and I've almost completed the last siege to push it over the finish line... and they SPONTANEOUSLY ADOPT CHRISTIANITY and invalidate my casus belli AAAAARGH

This fucking game :D

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Chinese Imperial government does some nifty things.

I've been using the ruler designer to make Han starting characters in my shattered world games but this is the first time I've kept it going long enough (that is, not had a big update hit not too long after the game start) to try out the government type.

It's a big vassal count boost which can be helpful. And that boost is helpful because you can retract vassals and duchies without tyranny penalties to neuter super dukes in the making.

Holding cities like you can castles is a big income boost of course.

You lose the ability to ask for religious conversions in diplomacy but lose penalties for different religions and can ignore any religious barriers to marriage. This has led to the following scenario in my game:

"Well you're a Germanic pagan, you've raided my lands, and are holding two of my sons in prison as you convert them from Catholicism to your weird belief system but you let my spouse go free when I couldn't afford the ransom and seem like a swell person otherwise so sure I'll let one of your kinsmen matrilineally marry into my newly created bloodline."

It's a notable boost if you now play bloodline collection as part of your eugenics programs. My line already has 3 created bloodlines plus 2 I married and bred in from two of the great conqueror lines in the game.

Only other real downsides I can think of are that usurping kingdom and emperor titles is marked as verboten and you no longer are considered feudal so some books ancestors wrote won't work anymore.

Han culture: Come for the increased grace gains and castrating prisoners, stay for the Imperial government.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    edited September 2019
    Every time I start a pagan playthrough I'm determined to reform the faith into something other than Unyielding, Enatic Clans & Unique Doctrine, and Autonomous.

And then, every time I stare at the reformation screen, I end up going for Unyielding, Enatic Clans & Unique Doctrine, and Autonomous. Apparently, this is just the combination I prefer.

Oh well. At least it'll get me the Empressive cheevo, probably.

But one day, one day, I'm gonna take Peaceful, Ancestor Veneration, and Autocephalous. And Enatic Clans.

WotanAnubis on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Every time I start a pagan playthrough I'm determined to reform the faith into something other than Unyielding, Enatic Clans & Unique Doctrine, and Autonomous.

And then, every time I stare at the reformation screen, I end up going for Unyielding, Enatic Clans & Unique Doctrine, and Autonomous. Apparently, this is just the combination I prefer.

Oh well. At least it'll get me Empressive cheevo, probably.

But one day, one day, I'm gonna take Peaceful, Ancestor Veneration, and Autocephalous. And Enatic Clans.

You should flip Unyielding to Warmongering at least once, so you can have fun with the CB that forces Enatic Succession on neighboring realms.

Also, you might try a pagan faith with a terrible unique doctrine, like Romuva, to try and break you from always taking it.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    I greatly enjoyed doing a Hellenic Pagan reformation centered on female rulers and taxing everyone that felt differently
    RBfFnPs.jpg

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I've only really done Germanic pagans and for that temporal head is nice as the crown you get has some good stats for military focused rulers.

Since I tend to want to collect bloodlines, the Cosmopolitan nature has often been chosen to marry bloodline holders from other faiths. It's fun to have a child have a better personal combat score than many nobles just due to the personal combat bonuses from multiple bloodlines adding up.

And Meritocracy goes well with an heir eugenics program as I could choose whatever child came out as a genius or quick or the best education as my heir even if officially it was ultimogeniture. Before I got Conclave that also had the added benefit of your vassals preferring gavelkind over ultimogeniture if you didn't boost crown authority high enough for them to switch to Primogeniture and could dampen the rise of superdukes.

Since my shattered world games now tend to involve rulers that can switch to Chinese Imperial though I'm likely to swap out Cosmopolitan for something else so I don't have to convert all the conquered counties myself.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    edited September 2019
    What is Open Succession? It can't be you just pick someone to get everything can it? That seems amazing!

Although really I haven't had a ton of trouble with elective.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

Open Succession means: the child with the most titles inherits

Muslims have it too

Oh right. Yeah that's insanely easy to arrange. Well if you can grant to women I guess.

38thDoE on steam