As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hurricane Dorian] has dissipated. Bahamas casualty count still unknown.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    This is the wildest thing to me:

There's a cruise ship leaving Jacksonville (NE Florida) today, popping down to the Bahamas, and returning Thursday.

So they're just going to dodge around the storm then follow it back to port, giving only slightly more fucks that a Jaeger pilot.

Passenger/crew manifest: just one giant pair.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I mean, even if the weather works out that sounds terrible. The only stops are in ports that are just barely past a hurricane hit? Fun.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Just as a warning to folks not to get complacent:

Weak steering currents & stalling storms should never be trusted.

With 72 hours before Dorian turns north, even a 1 mph error in the storm's speed until then could result in a 72 mile error in how far west Dorian gets.

Stay vigilant. More changes could occur. It's a tough one.

Levi Cowan is a meteorology grad student who runs a website with storm modeling tools.

Don't take down your shutters or return supplies just yet, though I doubt anyone on the board is doing that.

Zavian wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Holy shit, Zavian. You stay safe out there in Mad Max land.

I was finally able to get gas! Since I was waiting there for 6+ hours they let me get first dibs once the fuel truck came. Now I'm good on gas, have plenty of water (including some frozen in fridge in case power goes out), plenty of food, some beer and herbal supplements. Now it's time to sit back and wait out Dorian, woooo! (and hope a tree doesn't fall on my truck!)

I just thought, do you have a laptop with decent battery life for emergency CK2 games? :wink:

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Holy shit, Zavian. You stay safe out there in Mad Max land.

I was finally able to get gas! Since I was waiting there for 6+ hours they let me get first dibs once the fuel truck came. Now I'm good on gas, have plenty of water (including some frozen in fridge in case power goes out), plenty of food, some beer and herbal supplements. Now it's time to sit back and wait out Dorian, woooo! (and hope a tree doesn't fall on my truck!)

I just thought, do you have a laptop with decent battery life for emergency CK2 games? :wink:

extra laptop battery, also a PSP Go with Resident Evil 2 + 3 for some blackout spoops

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Geez, Dorian looks like it mighty just park itself over the Bahamas all day on Sunday.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Dorian just hit category 5. Holy shit, be careful people.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Yeah, I'm a bit surprised they had it lingering as a cat-4 for several days to be honest, while sitting under basically all the conditions for a strengthening storm

The bahamas look like they're going to get it very rough. It's a strong storm, and it's going to slow WAY down, basically lingering over the northern islands. Florida coast might get it bad too, even moreso if they got the speed wrong and dorian travels even 1-2mph faster than expected. Inland should only get tropical storm conditions, but that's what we thought about Irma too.

• themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Current winds per latest update 175mph.
    Data from an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate
    that Dorian has continued to intensify, and now has maximum
    sustained winds near 175 mph (280 km/h), with a minimum central
    pressure of 922 mb (27.23 inches).

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Jesus, that's quite a jump. Wasn't it sitting at 150 for the last two days?

Jesus, that's quite a jump. Wasn't it sitting at 150 for the last two days?

Yeah, it's a very powerful storm, and this power has largely been understated until now because its power is also very concentrated at the center of the cyclone. Outside of the pretty immediate vicinity of the eye, it actually dissipates quickly.

I say until now, because this is the first time that Dorian is actually impacting land, in the Bahamas. But it's pretty much the worst case scenario for them since it is both a very powerful, and very slow moving storm, and will basically be parked over the islands for the next 24 hours.

• grumblethorngrumblethorn Registered User regular
    yeah it slowed to i think 6 mph in the latest NOAA update.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    yeah it slowed to i think 6 mph in the latest NOAA update.

It increased to 7mph movement, winds up to 180 mph
    https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT5+shtml/011456.shtml

Zavian on
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    A blend of these measurements yield to an initial intensity of 155 kt, making
    Dorian the strongest hurricane on record in the northwestern Bahamas.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Depending on traffic timing, we may be driving back from TX to Charlotte through the hurricane...

• Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Depending on traffic timing, we may be driving back from TX to Charlotte through the hurricane...

Please stay safe.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Geez, Dorian looks like it mighty just park itself over the Bahamas all day on Sunday.

Yea, fuck, upwards of 30 hours of Freeport stuck in the eyewall?

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

Also reports that Dorian has increased speed again slightly to 8 mph, and every pass of the hurricane hunters sees the pressure drop further. It's below 910 mbar now.

It's the most intense hurricane to make landfall in the northern Bahama islands, and has now tied the Labor Day Hurricane of 1935 as the strongest landfalling Atlantic hurricane by wind speed.

@Edith_Bagot-Dix When you have internet or satellite connections again, please drop us a line if you can and let us know you're okay.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/_BTd40ed3sg

Just looks dramatically intense from this perspective. Stay safe everyone.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Wait 185 mph sustained winds? That's not a typo?

steam_sig.png
    Nope, as of the second bahaman landfall I think it's either tied, or surpasses the strongest hurricane ever recorded in the atlantic.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Nope, as of the second bahaman landfall I think it's either tied, or surpasses the strongest hurricane ever recorded in the atlantic.
    It tied the 1935 Labor Day hurricane in wind speed at landfall.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    Anyone got a good source for all details on this storm. I'm trying to find information talking about how big it is in comparison to other storms. Seems like size is a detail that people too easily overlook. A bigger storm is going to have a larger area of impact and it also can make it less likely for an area to be sparred if it changes directions.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

This f'n guy.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    RickRude wrote: »

As someone pointed out on Twitter, Hurricane Michael was a Cat 5, last year. So was Irma, the year before. I mean, I'm not even counting Maria, because well... it hit Puerto Rico, and we know how he feels about them. But both Michael and Irma hit Florida, where Maralago is, but of course, as Jazz says, this f'n guy.

EDIT: Just to be accurate, Irma was a Cat 5 hurricane during it's lifespan, devastating the Carribean, but it was only Cat 4 when it hit Florida.

MorganV on
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Meanwhile Michael was not only Cat 5, but one of four total hurricanes to hit the US as Cat 5 hurricanes on record, and the straight up strongest hurricane to hit where it did. My house sat under the eyewall for four god damn hours while my wife and dogs huddle together with me. Fuck that pile of shit.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Just to add insult to injury, "there's a tweet for that".

* a sourced list of five Trump tweets or statements saying he's never heard of Cat 5, over the last two years*
    - Duty2Warn is a Twitter feed that dislikes Trump, but the sources appear to be Daniel Dale (the CNN factchecker guy), and another guy.

Not copypastable text. :( So here's a clickable link to the image of the text if Twitter isn't working for you.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EDaly8eU0AAXiRo?format=png&name=small

Just a reminder, Trump has 'one of the great memories of all-time'.

Fuck outta here.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    One of the various forecasting models has it going over Florida, hitting the Gulf, and immediately literally turning 180 degrees going back the way it came into the Atlantic on the same path.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Or, as Mrs. Enc called it, the "go home you're drunk, dorian" path

One of the various forecasting models has it going over Florida, hitting the Gulf, and immediately literally turning 180 degrees going back the way it came into the Atlantic on the same path.

iHG8z63.jpg

The 'Bethesda physics' model

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    looks like a damn lucky break for everyone

except the poor people in the bahamas

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Most of those closer tracks will still do immense damage.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular

even a 1 mph variation in wind speed can shift the course by like, 75 miles

That much rotational mass is a heck of a thing to predict

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

Most of those closer tracks will still do immense damage.

oh

well

=(

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I saw a twitter video of a lady walking down here street in some town and it looks like a literal nuclear bomb went off. Absolute destruction, cars flipped over, horns, sirens, just like the apocalypse.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular

Quick tell everyone in Florida to turn off their routers, if they don’t have an internet connection Dorian can’t continue.

• Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

Quick tell everyone in Florida to turn off their routers, if they don’t have an internet connection Dorian can’t continue.

Try shooting at it too, I've heard that scares it away.

If you hit it with a fire spell at the right frame of its spin attack animation, it’ll actually fall through the world and despawn